Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Approach
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
general
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 27 2006, 02:24 PM) *
I am purveyor of arrival - I will give the word smile.gif

Doug

Okay. You're the boss cool.gif
alan
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 27 2006, 07:22 AM) *
OM*G! (<clinck>)

Pancams! My kingdom for some pancams! biggrin.gif

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EKP2387R1M1.JPG
Tesheiner
And look to this new navcam that just arrived: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EKP0673L0M1.JPG

blink.gif (Add two more coins to the box)

IMO, Duck Bay is traversable.
slinted
Not that there isn't enough *WOW* to be had from Victoria, but at least some wow should be saved for Big Crater which is now showing up very well on the distant horizon

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...EKP2387L7M1.JPG
Sunspot
The pancams are all taken with the L7 filter which doesnt highlight any outcrop rock. This navcam image is perhaps slightly more revealing:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EKP0673L0M1.JPG

blink.gif
ustrax
VENI VIDI VICTORIA!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
jamescanvin
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EKP0673R0M1.JPG

<clink> smile.gif

Wow, the right side of Duck Bay is steep, that isn't the 18 degrees that we measured on the other side!

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that if the prevailing winds come from the south (as the dark streaks on the north suggest) then it makes sense that the exposed south facing rim would be steeper.

James
MahFL
Pancams !!!!!
MahFL
Anyone care to guess why this filter is being used on the Pancams ?
Sunspot
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 27 2006, 01:48 PM) *

<clink> smile.gif
Wow, the right side of Duck Bay is steep, that isn't the 18 degrees that we measured on the other side!

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that if the prevailing winds come from the south (as the dark streaks on the north suggest) then it makes sense that the exposed south facing rim would be steeper.

James

I guess no one can see my posts unsure.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 27 2006, 02:48 PM) *

The side just touching Cabo Frio, yes.
But look to the ramp just starting at the right side of the image; it seems to be fine and not very steep.
djellison
QUOTE (MahFL @ Sep 27 2006, 01:51 PM) *
Anyone care to guess why this filter is being used on the Pancams ?

L7 is the normal 'drive dir' pancam filter. They used L2 for a while as it shows outcrop as a better contrast - but spacially, L7 is the sharpest.... one of the Pancam updates with JB tackles this issue in full.

Doug
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Sep 27 2006, 10:53 PM) *
I guess no one can see my posts unsure.gif

Oops sorry, did you say something similar? - it hard to keep up at the moment! smile.gif

Here are the three navcams stitched with the MOC comparison.

Click to view attachment

James
Bill Harris
And another thing to consider... the light-toned horizontal bed we see in the L7 Pancams on the far wall has a bluish color, not the reddish L2 IR tone. This suggests to me hematite/blueberries instead of keyserite.

A full filter set will be informative.

--Bill
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 27 2006, 10:53 PM) *
But look to the ramp just starting at the right side of the image; it seems to be fine and not very steep.

Yeah I saw your first post after posting mine - I see what you mean, could be OK, I'll have to do some maths tomorrow I think!
algorimancer
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 27 2006, 07:24 AM) *
I am purveyor of arrival - I will give the word smile.gif

Doug

Is that another way of saying "I'm The Decider"?
wink.gif
Phil Stooke
What a place! Here's my version of the pancams stitched together.

Phil

Click to view attachment
RobertEB
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 27 2006, 07:53 AM) *

If they take Opportunity in, they’ll probably want one of the bays that gets the most direct sun light. That narrows down the choices.
helvick
QUOTE (RobertEB @ Sep 27 2006, 02:18 PM) *
If they take Opportunity in, they'll probably want one of the bays that gets the most direct sun light. That narrows down the choices.

There are a lot of things to consider. The general slope of the bay in question - unless it's more or less sloped in a northerly direction it will negatively impact solar power. The cape walls could be a real problem aswell as they can dramatically affect the amount of direct sunlight that will fall on the panels and that is a particularly troublesome right now with Tau being low. That said Cabo Frio looks likely to be significantly less of a risk than Cabo Verde .
MahFL
I think you could fit two of my local NFL Football stadium inside Victoria........the field is of course 100 yards long. Could someone superimpose 2 of these inside Victoria for me ?

Thanks.

fredk
QUOTE (kenny @ Sep 27 2006, 07:33 AM) *
I was interpreting the apparent big hole in the right foreground of your picture posted above as being a slump feature a few metres back from the main rim of Victoria. Might be Cabo Frio itself, but see what you think...

Kenny, if I understand you right you're seeing what jpl is calling Duck Crater. Check out the official maps.
Rakhir
QUOTE (helvick @ Sep 27 2006, 03:59 PM) *
There are a lot of things to consider. (...) The cape walls could be a real problem aswell as they can dramatically affect the amount of direct sunlight that will fall on the panels and that is a particularly troublesome right now with Tau being low.

... As well as communication constraints near the walls (Earth and Odyssey visibility).
fredk
QUOTE (odave @ Sep 27 2006, 12:20 PM) *
Perhaps one of our math & image gurus can help give a sense of the scale, maybe put two similar images of Endurance & Victoria crater walls together with Mystery Man standing at the top or bottom. That should give some perspective as to how much vertical relief Vicky is showing us.

Already did it! See this post. The mystery men are coming soon...
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 27 2006, 07:48 AM) *

<clink> smile.gif

James

Yes, your interpretation is right. The prevailing winds comes from SouthEast. The wind has originated sand deposition on the South East-South side. The north slope is steeper than the south ones. On the other hand, the north side has more compact surface than the south ones which is more sandy.

Rodolfo
fredk
Holy &%$@ &*@#% !#%@&*!!! <clink>^n

After being out on mind-numbingly flat meridiani for sooo long now I'm finding it hard to believe we're actually seeing some topography now! Look at those $%#@& cliffs! LOOK AT THEM!! I honestly was expecting maybe 50-60 degree slopes, but these look past vertical in places!!

Hey Phil and everyone, here's one way to put it: we sure won't have to do any vertical stretching here!
fredk
Compare today's rear hazcam view with sol 943's. You can see clearly that we've crested a bit of a ridge and have started to drop towards the rim. Almost perfectly smooth here too.
Oersted
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 27 2006, 04:30 PM) *
I honestly was expecting maybe 50-60 degree slopes, but these look past vertical in places!!

Yup, we have true vertical overhang here:

Nix
Holy Canoli what a crater...are we really ready for this? just joking tongue.gif

Nico
mhoward
Nice, Nico... best yet!

Here are cylindrical and perspective projections:

Floyd
JPL Press Release Images: Opportuniy for 9/27. They are Navcams for Sol 950.

Floyd
fredk
Beautiful, Nico! I had just done a couple anaglyphs myself. Cape Verde and beyond:
Click to view attachment
Cabo Frio etc:
Click to view attachment
Nix
Cool -now all we need is the parade of mystery men. I think they're hiding with the mud flap girls in Climber's caves biggrin.gif

Nico
Bubbinski
Now THERE's a Hell Of A View!!! I can't wait for the true color pano releases.

<clink> <clink> looks like my wallet's gonna be empty of change before the rover leaves Victoria!
hortonheardawho
L7L0 1x2:

aldo12xu
QUOTE (Nix @ Sep 27 2006, 12:02 AM) *

What a great way to start the day!! I'm totally blown away by the view!

Nico, could I ask a favour.......I have trouble viewing anaglyphs (I have to reverse the colours) and I can't view cross-eyed stereo. Seeing all these great anaglyphs is like a tease for me.....Would you able to post the corresponding Right image to the above panorama?

Thanks,
Aldo.
aldo12xu
Nice job on the colours, Horton. The "gullies" now look like wind blown sand that sluffed over the crater rim. Is there any depth to them in the stereo views?
WindyT
Not enough layering! Where's the next crater?!

ph34r.gif
fredk
Horton, that's a brilliant way to pull out colour. It never occured to me that we could squeeze colour out of L7 and navcam, but it makes sense. Navcam is broad spectrum, but will be dominated by the red-infrared of typical martian ground, so it complements L7.
Nix
Astro0; glad to hear that they liked the pan smile.gif

Marco; uh, don't know about the extended sky yet but I'll post something in a few minutes smile.gif

Pancam with heavy unsharp masking;

Nico
FIN Mars
last! every sice day i am attended mars rovers... two and half year... i remember good, when they landed and this is incredible! there are biggest rocks in victoria, rover must will drive near something big rock.
Nix
http://www.awalkonmars.com/A2950PM8R1EF1.jpg
Here is the right version Marco smile.gif

Nico
mhoward
These are 110x80 degree perspective views of Endurance and Victoria, respectively. Superficially they look a bit alike, but put them in separate browser windows and flip back and forth, and you may begin to appreciate the size difference.

gregp1962
Thanks Howard, that helps. Because you're right. It seems hard to get a perspective. This crate is so huge that it's hard to really get it on one computer screen. I'm sure that the image wizzards in this forum will make some pretty awesome images. JPL has nothing on them!
jabe
Any calculations on how deep it is now that we can see bottom?
odave
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 27 2006, 10:17 AM) *
Already did it!

Thanks - I saw that the new images had come down this morning and didn't bother looking at any of the discussion from last night rolleyes.gif

Another thing that would help is seeing a split-screen scale comparison with Burns Cliff on one side and one of Victoria's capes on another.
Adam
Wow, fantastic view!
john_s
[quote name='mhoward' date='Sep 27 2006, 04:15 PM' post='70067']
These are 110x80 degree perspective views of Endurance and Victoria, respectively. Superficially they look a bit alike, but put them in separate browser windows and flip back and forth, and you may begin to appreciate the size difference.

Nice comparison! Though it's still hard to appreciate the size difference, because the *angular* extent of the two craters, as seen from a point on the rim, is pretty much the same (nearly 180 degrees). The only way to fully appreciate the size difference is to have objects of similar absolute size to compare in both images. Yes indeed, it sounds like a job for ... Mystery Man!
Nix

3x vertical stretch, indeed the cliffs are steep enough as it is, but this one's to appreciate the view with the two craters. (sol 950)

Nico
Bobby
Looks like the best choices for entering Victoria are on this side. Can't tell yet what the slope is like behind the bluff on the South side?

I wonder if Tiger Woods could hit a golf ball to the other side???
MichaelT
The dunes are absolutely stunning! What a view! What a great achievement of the MER Team! Thank you all! Great work!
blink.gif biggrin.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.