Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Approach
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Ant103
Sorry, I worked all the afternoon and the evening... That's why I haven't give any reaction.

HAIL VICTORIA!!

The view is great. ohmy.gif Due to my terragen simulation, I have he impression to know this landscape blink.gif . It's so ... unreal! blink.gif

Me too, I want the pancam!!!! biggrin.gif

Tomorrow, I will make my own composition. Now, I'm tired sad.gif.
diane
QUOTE (MaxSt @ Sep 19 2006, 03:38 PM) *
The size of the rock on the left seems to be approximately 2 m.

"It's a big rock. I can't wait to tell my friends. They don't have a rock this big." (Spike, in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer")
David
I'm a little surprised to see those small outcrops between the dunes on the right. The annulus is neither quite as flat or as featureless (at least in this region) as I supposed.
fredk
It's very easy to match even the tiniest details between todays navcams and the orbital images. Look at this comparison, for example, centred on the largest "bay" feature on the far rim:
Click to view attachment
You can identify many small features on the slope of the "bay".

In fact, we can now do a very firm measurement of the slope of that "bay". I've identified a feature at the top of the bay on both images (green arrow) and a feature some distance down (red arrow). The orbital map gives about 46 metres horizontal separation between the two, and today's navcam gives 13.6 metres vertical separation. Highschool trig gives an average slope of just 16.5 degrees!

Again, this is an average slope - there could be steeper and less steep portions of the bay. But, gall darn it, 16.5 degrees sounds totally doable! biggrin.gif

Edit: forgot to mention that navcam crop is 2x vertical stretched. The calculated result was correct, though.
mhoward
Okay, I got tired of waiting for the tracking data on the last two Navcams and decided to just cheat on those.

200x80 degree cylindrical projection:

equirectangular projection:
djellison
You're doing a lovely job of getting rid of the vignietting on those Mike - any pointers?

Doug
Oersted
QUOTE (David @ Sep 19 2006, 10:45 PM) *
I'm a little surprised to see those small outcrops between the dunes on the right. The annulus is neither quite as flat or as featureless (at least in this region) as I supposed.

Yup, I agree. As a matter of fact, I think we should stay here for a couple of weeks and study those small outcrops... Not! tongue.gif
mhoward
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 19 2006, 08:59 PM) *
You're doing a lovely job of getting rid of the vignietting on those Mike - any pointers?

I'm just using MMB's brightness and vignetting compensation feature. If you export the pan images from MMB using the "File->Advanced->Export Pan Images and PTGui Project..." you'll get the same results, although it depends on my having updated the metadata first. PTGui also helps by smoothing the interface between the images.

BTW, everybody... there's a really nice bit of outcrop to the South ... I think we should investigate it while holding still without taking any images for, say, one or two weeks! (I dodge whatever you throw at me tongue.gif ) (Seriously, it might be something to check out after we've done several nice pans from the rim. Or not.) (Edit: Whoops, same joke as Oersted. wink.gif )

P.S. Nice matchup, fredk!
jamescanvin
Just joined the party - wow! smile.gif

Re: The large 'rock' on the left - others have already mentioned it, but people still seem to be confused. It is not a rock, it is the crater wall on the back side of the beacon.

Click to view attachment

James
alan
QUOTE (Oersted @ Sep 19 2006, 04:06 PM) *
Yup, I agree. As a matter of fact, I think we should stay here for a couple of weeks and study those small outcrops... Not! tongue.gif

Nice big outcrop. Looks like a an easy taget to test the 'go and touch' after they reboot to the new software.
Nirgal
QUOTE (alan @ Sep 19 2006, 11:21 PM) *
Nice big outcrop. Looks like a an easy taget to test the 'go and touch' after they reboot to the new software.

no further delays pleaaaase wink.gif sure there are enough other nice outcrops at the big hole in front of us wink.gif wink.gif
Nirgal
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 19 2006, 10:52 PM) *
It's very easy to match even the tiniest details between todays navcams and the orbital images. Look at this comparison, for example, centred on the largest "bay" feature on the far rim:
Click to view attachment
You can identify many small features on the slope of the "bay".

In fact, we can now do a very firm measurement of the slope of that "bay". I've identified a feature at the top of the bay on both images (green arrow) and a feature some distance down (red arrow). The orbital map gives about 46 metres horizontal separation between the two, and today's navcam gives 13.6 metres vertical separation. Highschool trig gives an average slope of just 16.5 degrees!

Again, this is an average slope - there could be steeper and less steep portions of the bay. But, gall darn it, 16.5 degrees sounds totally doable! biggrin.gif

Edit: forgot to mention that navcam crop is 2x vertical stretched. The calculated result was correct, though.

very good work, fredk !

so does this mean that the cliffs on the south rim are "only" about 13 meters high ?
with the total crater depth only about 20-30 meters ?
fredk
Nirgal, the vertical extent of the cliffs that's visible now is somewhere in the 10 - 13 metre range. But it's hard to say exactly where the top of the cliffs is (we need pancams!) and we don't clearly see the bottoms yet, though based on the orbital images they don't go much lower than we can now see.

Also this is just part of the far rim. Things may be different below us on the near rim...

As far as the total depth goes, it's guesswork as to the slopes in the main bowl, but I think we're certainly consistent with 50 or even 70 metres total depth. Actually it depends which rim you measure from - the near rim is roughly 10 metres higher than the far rim, so add 10 or so to the depth measured from the near rim.
Pando
QUOTE (Pando @ Sep 19 2006, 11:47 AM) *
Damnit, I missed the party by about 2 hours....
QUOTE (Nix @ Sep 19 2006, 11:48 AM) *

The party has only just begun, don't worry smile.gif

Hehe, I meant to say that I missed the *start* of the party... laugh.gif

NICE views and panoramas everyone, the views are already quite stunning. What's funny is that traveling only some x-number of meters opened up this scenery which all of a sudden makes perfect sense now!
Nix
Some more PTgui-Photoshop Mambo-Jambo laugh.gif

I wish we could share these first views in person guys, we're in for a good time -'been a long ride..

Nico
Pando
Nico's post above reminds me of something I posted two weeks ago here. Compare the top frame of the attached image to Nico's panorama. As we get closer, notice how the ground will open up at the bottom while the far rim stays comparatively the same, since we're already very close and the crater is huge. So, with navcams we're not really going to see much more detail at the far rim, but pancams will be nice smile.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 19 2006, 03:09 PM) *
Regarding the raised rim on the left that some of us thought was "something" sitting on the plain/apron. Is this that Tesheiner and others (?) said it could be beacon ?

No, I think this high section is blocking our view of the gap just beyond it, through which we viewed the array of beacons along the far...

Oh, I give up. It must be the cursed beacon. sad.gif

Brian
Nix
Another try at the anaglyph..

Nico
Astro0
SENSATIONAL VC!

There's more coming down soon. Just took a quick walk down the road to photograph DSS-45 which is locked up on Opportunity at the moment. Here's a photo I took a few minutes ago. NB: Note the shadow on the dish surface from the subreflector. We are just a few degrees off the Sun at the moment.
Click to view attachment

If you think that we are all having fun at UMSF, imagine how Steve and the rest of the MER teams are feeling. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Enjoy
Astro0
Myran
Thank you Astro0 - im pulling one all nighter here with the hope for more images and perhaps even additional info when the US guys do their job in my nighttime. So I stay tuned.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 20 2006, 09:41 AM) *
PS: Here's a link to a useful page to know what the DSN is tracking. http://rmdc.jpl.nasa.gov/nsp/watn.html

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /nsp/watn.html on this server.
Pando
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 19 2006, 04:41 PM) *
NB: Note the shadow on the dish surface from the subreflector. We are just a few degrees off the Sun at the moment.

If you can climb up there to the focal point of that dish, you could fry some hot dogs there also... tongue.gif biggrin.gif
MarkL
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 19 2006, 11:41 PM) *
SENSATIONAL VC!

There's more coming down soon. Just took a quick walk down the road to photograph DSS-45 which is locked up on Opportunity at the moment.

Great and timely pic! Thanks.
jamescanvin
I'm surprised that there is a downlink now, there is nothing in the relay schedule for about 8 hours. (although I sometimes struggle to understand that data so I could be wrong).

EDIT: Oh I guess you mean we're in DTE - that makes more sense. I wonder if we'll get more images or if it'll just be checkout data after the reboot into the new software.
Astro0
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 20 2006, 10:05 AM) *
Oh I guess you mean we're in DTE - that makes more sense.

You're right James. DTE (Digital Tone Extractor) for anyone wondering.

Astro0
jamescanvin
Oh the fun of confilicting abbreviations! I meant Oppy's communicating Direct To Earth (DTE) through her high gain antenna, as opposed to using the UHF relay through Odyssey that isn't scheduled till later.

Thinking about it more, isn't this morning link more likely to be for the sols commands to be uplinked rather than for data to be downlinked? I wouldn't expect anymore images till much later today (7+ hours) (Assuming that the data pipeline is working again!)
Floyd
JPL Opportunity update "Oppotunity's First Glimpse into 'Victoria Crater'"

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre.../20060919a.html
jamescanvin
Thanks Floyd - a *very* quick update by JPL there! smile.gif

There image contains a bit more detail (no surprise!) particularly in areas that are very bright. It is a spectacular match to the MOC image, so many features that look almost exactly the same!

Here is a 3x stretch of the rim in JPL's image

Click to view attachment

James
odave
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 19 2006, 09:06 PM) *
Oh the fun of confilicting abbreviations! I meant Oppy's communicating Direct To Earth (DTE)

...and when I read DTE quickly I get "Data Terminal Equipment" huh.gif

smile.gif
jamescanvin
Here is the far rim in JPL's navcam image compared with a 'straightened' far rim from orbit.

Click to view attachment

James

EDIT: Replaced with a slightly modified version
CosmicRocker
James: That is strictly top-shelf work...a very useful comparison between the rover's view and the MOC view. Thank you, very much. smile.gif I'm sure we'll find it very useful in future discussions.
jamescanvin
Cheers Tom.

Here is the whole rim straightened out (kind of reverse polar). Could be quite handy in the coming weeks/months. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

The point Oppy is approaching is at the edge, so the far rim is in the middle. Emma Dean can be seen at the top left.

James
Phil Stooke
Brilliant, James!

Phil
Burmese
So are we confirmed to be on restricted Sols now or not? Perhaps even if they are they could scramble to upload a simple 'bump 40 more meters and take a boatload of pics' to Oppy for tomorrow?
jamescanvin
Well the upload for tosol (944) has already gone, it's the middle of the sol already. I'm pretty sure the lack of activity tosol is due to the reboot into the new software - because of that I wouldn't expect any driving for a sol or two.

Hopefully we should get the drive direction pancams down later this sol, which would be keep me happy for now. smile.gif
jamescanvin
Press Release - http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2006-111

"Opportunity has been heading toward Victoria for more than 20 months, with no guarantee it would ever get there, so we are elated to see this view," said Justin Maki of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., an imaging scientist on the rover team. "However, we still have another two or three short drives before Opportunity is really right at the rim, looking down into the crater."
Marz
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 19 2006, 11:34 PM) *

Yowza! ohmy.gif What a neat perspective....

Not to flog a dead horse, but looking at that image made my wonder where the Beacon was? I didn't see any near rim feature that stood out with a bright contrast. pancam.gif
fredk
Crikey, James, I was just thinking earlier today "now if only I knew how to take the orbital VC image and unwrap it straight..."

I didn't even have to ask!
climber
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 20 2006, 04:33 AM) *
Here is the far rim in JPL's navcam image with a 'straightened' far rim from orbit.

Click to view attachment

James

EDIT: Replaced with a slightly modified version

Thanks James, we can easily see Sofi from the ground now.

Fredk wrote : "In fact, we can now do a very firm measurement of the slope of that "bay". I've identified a feature at the top of the bay on both images (green arrow) and a feature some distance down (red arrow). The orbital map gives about 46 metres horizontal separation between the two, and today's navcam gives 13.6 metres vertical separation. Highschool trig gives an average slope of just 16.5 degrees!"

When you look the far rim, one can think that it's vertical. That can be true for the cliff, but it's nice to see your mesurment confirm that it'll be drivable in between. Be ALL care of what you see. A Mountain, a cliff, a glaciar appears to be much more vertical from a distance than they realy are.
Here is (another) Earth exemple :
See the little glacier on the right above the shed that look vertical :
Click to view attachment
The same from a side view is visible in the centrer of the picture :
Click to view attachment

Could be too steep for Oppy, but it's for the demonstration
fredk
You can see the beacon at the far left of James's pan in post 78 above. It's pretty much at the highest part of the rim. We're now so close to the rim that we're looking at it quite forshortened. Still the pancam views should be great if they point that way.
hendric
OMG!!
Squee!!
Squee!!!
*pant*pant*

Whew, did it just get hot in here or what?

That Victoria girl, she is HOT!!

--
Still waiting on those Card Carrying Mars Widow cards. Maybe the caption would be "Mars Widow: Find my SO at www.unmannedspaceflight.com" with Spirit's panorama on one side, and the upcoming Victoria pan on the other. smile.gif
Astro0
James,
Perhaps 'DTE' could stand for "Damn That Errata".

It's been a busy day for Mars comms.
We were two-way on MER1 when I left my message.
MGS has got its problems at the moment.
We're getting closer to conjunction.
Makes it all very interesting for us, just as things are getting interesting on Mars.

Astro0
MichaelT
Wow! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

I'm totally amazed about the details of the far rim that are already visible from this location! What a great view there is ahead of us in a few days! Thanks to everyone for the exceptionally good image processing (as always smile.gif).

Michael
Reckless
Great pictures James. The pancam pics will be brilliant. This morning in the Channel Islands we had an island wide power cut sad.gif and I thought just my luck that oppy will have sneaked up to the edge and the pictures will be flooding in but power is returning all is well on this exciting day biggrin.gif
and Hendric Squee indeed.
Roy F
ustrax
QUOTE (Nix @ Sep 19 2006, 11:08 PM) *
Some more PTgui-Photoshop Mambo-Jambo laugh.gif

I wish we could share these first views in person guys, we're in for a good time -'been a long ride..

Nico

My wish too Nico... rolleyes.gif
Indeed a long long ride, but worthy, wasn't it? smile.gif
Keep that Mambo-Jambo coming!

Great work james!

Damn!...I'm happy! biggrin.gif
ngunn
A big thanks to everybody here for the steady stream of up-to-the-minute news and images. My new class of GCSE Astronomy students started yesterday evening and they were thrilled to see the first Victoria pictures, including the first anaglyph, being posted here in 'real time' during their 2 hour session. Fortunately we have a nice big screen and a couple of pairs of 3D specs to pass round. (I think I should order a few more pairs for the coming days and weeks!)
jaredGalen
In the Amstel tradition......"This is gonna be great!"
Stu
Just a bit of fun...

Click to view attachment
Toma B
I knew you would look lovely Victoria...well this looks like the beginning of the beautiful friendship... smile.gif
climber
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toma B @ Sep 20 2006, 01:11 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I knew you would look lovely Victoria...well this looks like the beginning of the beautiful friendship... smile.gif
[/quote]
Any allusion to these words ?
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=56795
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.