Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Approach
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
djellison
ctrl refresh ctrl refresh ctrl refresh ctrl refresh ctrl refresh ctrl refresh
Stu
Click to view attachment

Wow! Look at those GULLIES!!!!! tongue.gif
Sunspot
LOL No PanCams for today
djellison
It's not uncommon for the images to be spread over 2, 3 or more hours. There's a full 10 frames of Navcam and 8 of Pancam in the offing, it's just a matter of when they'll come down.

Doug
odave
QUOTE (Floyd @ Sep 26 2006, 08:20 AM) *
Mars Exploration Rovers mission has been extended an additional year.

Yeah, could you imagine the screaming if the bean-counters pulled the plug now? biggrin.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 26 2006, 02:40 PM) *
Click to view attachment

Good catch Stu.
Now letīs wait and see if the pancams are pointed in that heading too and we can get a better view. cool.gif
djellison
Well - 8 pancam frames can cover approx 2.5 - 3 Navcam f.o.v's - so I think it will be at least all of the two full frames we can see now .
Attached - a rough Pancam f.o.v. over the top of the two nav frames. 6 would cover those two.

Doug
Ames
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 26 2006, 01:40 PM) *

Looks awfully steep and deep. I got the feeling that we were expecting Victoria to have a less relief and be more eroded.

Nick
ljk4-1
Crazy Idea of the Day: Could Opportunity somehow SLIDE into Victoria
down one of those areas that look like rock-free sand? Maybe lock its
wheels and go down at an angle? Would that make it easier for Oppy
to get in, or worse?

I am just thinking the rover might end up sliding anyway due to the
overall steepness. Perhaps if JPL plans for this, they can use the
situation to their advantage and avoid risking the rover tipping over.

Also: Have they reprogrammed Oppy to not shut down if it finds
itself at a higher angle than usual?
karl
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 26 2006, 07:29 AM) *
"Wow" is what I thought too!
And look that we can clearly distinguish Cabo Verde on the left of this first navcam (canīt wait for the next ones in 10 minutes or so). I said before and will say again: watch your step, Oppy!

It is really opening up behind Cabo Verde and to the left to the high outcrop (beacon?). When images come down from both cameras, the 3D view should be incredible.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
jamescanvin
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Sep 26 2006, 10:59 PM) *
down one of those areas that look like rock-free sand?

Hold your horses, it does look steep but fredk and I have done some calculations and it doesn't seem so bad - The view is very forshortened from this angle.
Indian3000
Quick pan sol 950
with processed images

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
karl
QUOTE (Indian3000 @ Sep 26 2006, 08:10 AM) *

How far was today's drive and how far do you guys estimate we are from the rim now?
jamescanvin
Match to MOC image from the two navcams so far.

Click to view attachment

James
jamescanvin
QUOTE (karl @ Sep 26 2006, 11:15 PM) *
How far was today's drive and how far do you guys estimate we are from the rim now?

According to the tracking site todays drive was ~27m
djellison
QUOTE (karl @ Sep 26 2006, 02:15 PM) *

I would say around 25 - 28 metre drive - leaving us perhaps 20 metres from the 'rim'. The 'rim' is a fairly fuzzy target from this distance as it is not really a discreet 'point' anymroe.

Doug
jamescanvin
Well no more images this hour - I guess that's it for now.

I'm off to bed then...
MahFL
Exploratorium seems to have gone down sad.gif.
Toma B
Maybe it received to much "CTRL+F5"...it's back up again...
MahFL
I may have asked before but anyone hazard a guess to the height of the rim on the Horizon ( Big Crater ) ?
paxdan
it's probably been F5ived to death
ustrax
From here it looks the gap between Cabo Verde and Duck Bay is good candidate for entering Victoria...
odave
QUOTE (MahFL @ Sep 26 2006, 10:14 AM) *
I may have asked before but anyone hazard a guess to the height of the rim on the Horizon ( Big Crater ) ?

I think Tim's post over on the Big Crater thread is the closest estimate we've seen...
aldo12xu
WOW and double WOW!! I'm overwhelmed by all the images that have been posted here. Big thanks to James Canvin for coming up with his naming scheme and for matching the orbital and rover images. And Stu's observation of those possible gullies is really amazing. This is gonna be some fun BBQ!!
mhoward
Until the rest comes in...

climber
QUOTE (paxdan @ Sep 26 2006, 04:14 PM) *
it's probably been F5ived to death

BTW, my shorcut to Exploratorium bring me in a sort of back up server (I guess) since it's kinda veryyy sloooow. Anybody would care posting here another link for me?
Thanks
Climber
stevelu
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 26 2006, 09:03 AM) *
BTW, my shorcut to Exploratorium bring me in a sort of back up server (I guess) since it's kinda veryyy sloooow. Anybody would care posting here another link for me?
Thanks
Climber

I'm using http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportunity/pancam/

BTW, I don't have any coffee to pass around, but I have a fresh brewed pot of Chinese and Indian black tea, with some green mixed in. A nice strong brew, with some Assam and Yunan and Ceylon leaves, for those who care to know.

There's the milk and sugar, over there.

Here in Northern California, on the bayshore across from San Francisco, it's foggy and cool just after 9am. I'm working on job applications!! mad.gif ohmy.gif tongue.gif blink.gif

And, waiting for pancams... rolleyes.gif
Bobby
Hey SteveLu

Since exploratorium is located so close to you there in The Bay Area. Go over there and tell them to speed up the posting of pancam shots.

Do that before you go back to work
akuo
Hmm, according to the Pancam Tracking site, all the pancams are down on Earth. Not sure when this happened.
Pavel
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Sep 26 2006, 08:59 AM) *
down one of those areas that look like rock-free sand? Maybe lock its
wheels and go down at an angle? Would that make it easier for Oppy
to get in, or worse?

This would almost certainly mean that the rover won't be able to reach the bedrock, which is much more interesting scientifically than the sand on the bottom. Not to mention that it would preclude further exploration, such as driving to Ithaca. Besides, this can make the solar panels really dusty.
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Sep 26 2006, 08:59 AM) *
I am just thinking the rover might end up sliding anyway due to the
overall steepness. Perhaps if JPL plans for this, they can use the
situation to their advantage and avoid risking the rover tipping over.
Also: Have they reprogrammed Oppy to not shut down if it finds
itself at a higher angle than usual?

You mean upside down? blink.gif
RNeuhaus
See the change of ripple direction

There is a change of direction of ripples close to the rim to the rest of annulus. That means that the consistency of the surface will be softer since these ripples are the product of sand deposition coming from the inside of Victoria Crater. According to my experience, that part has looser than the ones belonging to annulus. Oppy can reach over that but it must completely flat since it offers lower traction for going a pending slope.

I would rather avoid to approach that due to many uncertainities. There is a bit depression or unlevel of surface between annulus and rim. The problem would be that if Oppy is close to the rim and it might have more trouble to pull back trying to overcome the difference in height between the annulus and rim.

Rodolfo
stevelu
QUOTE (Bobby @ Sep 26 2006, 09:20 AM) *
Since exploratorium is located so close to you there in The Bay Area. Go over there and tell them to speed up the posting of pancam shots.

Sorry, they post all the Mars shots from their Skyship computer center, which hovers permanently about 15 kilometers above the Farallon Islands, just offshore.

I've tried to board before, but they won't let my trike land.
mhoward
QUOTE (akuo @ Sep 26 2006, 04:24 PM) *
Hmm, according to the Pancam Tracking site, all the pancams are down on Earth. Not sure when this happened.

It says the thumbnails are down at this time, not the full images.
akuo
QUOTE (mhoward @ Sep 26 2006, 06:35 PM) *
It says the thumbnails are down at this time, not the full images.

How do you read that? :-)
djellison
'ETH' is a thumbnail ' EFF' is full frame. 'EDN' is a downsample frame ( i.e. a 512 x 512 or 256 x 256 frame ) and 'ESF' is subframe ( i.e. just the sundial, just the sun etc )

CODE
2. What EDRs do we have on the ground from sol 950, 951?

Expected EDRs by sequence number and image type:

Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
950 p2386.08 16  0   0   0   0   16   pancam_drv_dir_L7R1

Doug
climber
You know what?
Oppy didn't came alone to Victoria : biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

PS1 : I still need some practice to manage Photoshop, eh?
PS2 : I miss Bob too on this
mhoward
QUOTE (akuo @ Sep 26 2006, 06:44 PM) *
How do you read that? :-)

There are columns for the different image types - 'ETH' is the thumbnails. Make sure you have selected MER-B Opportunity - that's the most common 'gotcha'. But that said, I hope most folks just refrain from using the site unless they really need to, or at least don't over-use it, as has been discussed before in other threads.
fredk
This navcam view (only L down so far) gives us our first look at Cabo Frio, and more of the far rim to the right:
Click to view attachment
It looks to me relatively flat out to the tip of Cabo Frio. Considering the downwards slope out to the tip of Cabo Verde, I'd think Frio might be chosen as the big pan site.
mhoward
Sol 950 Navcam 200x80 cylindrical projection:

Toma B
Pancams are up at Exploratorium smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
stevelu
I never tried the attachment method. How's this (quick and dirty brighten plus red boost)?

Click to view attachment
climber
May be wrong timing for my post but the images TIM was talking about yesterday have been posted on MER website here :
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre.../20060926a.html

This is an important reference.
I'm sorry James. I thing you've got to do it all again. sad.gif
mhoward
An L7 stitch:

Edit: Brightened it up a bit to tease out some more detail.
dilo
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 26 2006, 07:54 PM) *
This is an important reference.

True. Finally we have the unlabeled version!
climber
As compared to navcam, those pancam open up an entirely new world before our eyes!
Much much more boulders than suspected, much much much, ...wohaa, everything, I mean, I can't believe there's such a difference. This is the first real view of what Vicky look like. I'm happy Pando's view fade away and I'm sure we're ALL happy! Come on James WAKE UP, you CAN'T sleep wink.gif Vicky's there
fredk
As the parade of pans continues, here's a navcam anaglyph showing Cabo Frio and the region beyond:
Click to view attachment
Frio extends farther out than it looked without the 3D info.
Bobby
Attention American Football Fans. It's 1rst and Goal and the ball is on the 1 Yard Line.

Go Go Go Oppy biggrin.gif

Seattle Seahawks Fan
climber
Am I alone there? Help please don't let me down! Pancams are there...eho eho eho !!!!
Regarding the Capes on the other side I can see two different processes :
1-big chunk collapes and that seams to come from the part of the Capes the closer to the center of the crater. Basicaly, that stay together without creating a lot of big boulders.
2-smaller part collapses and create bigger boulders that roll further down in the crater. We can see BIG ones since they are some 700m away. Can they be as big as 5+ meters? Anyone agree?
The horizontal (now white) line seams much smaller than I first thought but I think the bigger part is around Sofi and we don't see it yet on the pancam.
climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 26 2006, 10:13 PM) *
As the parade of pans continues, here's a navcam anaglyph showing Cabo Frio and the region beyond:
Click to view attachment
Frio extends farther out than it looked without the 3D info.

Yep, and there's apparently solid ground there. I've got the feeling that the top of the cliffs are reachable by the IDD. Go to Cabo Frio Oppy, just go there wheel.gif
volcanopele
Maybe this has been discussed earlier, but in these latest pancams, there appears to be a thin bright layer a few meters below the crater rim. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I see climber brought it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.