Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Approach
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
mhoward
Updated sol 948 Navcam pan, cylindrical projection:

Indian3000
Pancam Sol 948

L2
Click to view attachment

Stereo
Click to view attachment
mhoward
QUOTE (Indian3000 @ Sep 25 2006, 03:03 PM) *
Pancam Sol 948

Ditto...

fredk
Indian3000, that pancam mosaic is pretty amazing. In fact, you've brought out so much detail in the saturated white areas of the original jpl jpegs that I'm wondering if you've gotten leaked images from the inside!

How did you enhance the white areas?
jvandriel
Here is an old one because the last images came down just a few days ago.

A 360 degree panoramic view taken on Sol 911 with the L1 pancam.

jvandriel
mhoward
There's also a Pancam albedo mosaic from Sol 918 that just came down. The downsampled L1 images are slightly better than the available Navcam coverage - only slightly though. This pan also has four full-frame L2 images mixed in.

dilo
QUOTE (mhoward @ Sep 25 2006, 03:06 PM) *
Ditto...

At this point, I directly made the Sol943-948 anaglyph of from Michael's PanCam:
Click to view attachment unstretched
Click to view attachment stretch 2x

Consider I had to rescale Sol943 by 106% in order to have far rim proportion match (so distance from VC is slightly smaller now) and to reduce the overall image size due to space limits.
mhoward
Apparantly someone finally solved the puzzle or input the correct decryption key, or just inserted a quarter...

mhoward

jvandriel
Here is the original 360 degree panoramic view

taken on Sol 918 with the L1 pancam.

jvandriel
tim53
QUOTE (Oersted @ Sep 19 2006, 10:55 AM) *
If we're going into that crater I don't think we're coming out, that is STEEP!

- Much more dramatic slopes than I expected.

- When can we expect the pancam images? - Soon? Huh? Huh? (sorry....) smile.gif

I'm trying to set things up with our outreach people so that my "solly" (as apposed to "daily") location updates can be seen in the outside world, but it's taking a while. There should be a release soon showing my annotated navcam panorama and overhead MOC view of Victoria, which should also include a non-annotated/gridded version of my overhead map image, which is based in large part on the MOC C-PROTO provided to the science team by MSSS, and due to be released very soon (already?).

The object on the horizon some of you have referred to is indeed on the near rim of the crater. What's surprising, looking at the ground panoramas, is that the crater extends quite a ways to either side of the view of the far rim - which we're seeing because of our proximity to Duck Bay, which is 45 meters from our current location.

In the meantime, here's a teaser wink.gif - Oppy overhead projection of navcam pans, using flight software tools for the terrain mesh and projection, which is registered to background MOC image in Canvas X on a Mac, and then rendered at 10cm/pixel, so as to retain some detail from the ground images.

The vectors are to the bays and capes on the far rim (mostly), viewed over Duck Bay. More on those later.

-Tim.Click to view attachment
RNeuhaus
About the picture of MOC images registered in canvas of MAC, the different colors of lines represents to the range of view by PANCAM, NAVCAM and Forward Hazard cameras?

About the ways to exit from Victoria Crater, I have realized that in VC there is no site to climb since all boat ramp are sandy which Oppy is nothing good to climb unless that any boat ramp is of firm land or over any outcrop from the bottom up to the rim. However, the only outcrop visible by the MOC are only few meters down from rims.

These above comments might be out of place since the image which I have analyzed are still not of good resolution and also of proper angles of views.

Rodolfo
RedSky
Does anyone know the dates when solar conjunction will cause comm outage? Is there a chance that could happen before we get to the edge of Victoria and get a good look? Don't know how much her flash can store, but it would seem good to have Oppy at a good viewing vantage point beforehand, and have an extended automated Pancam survey set of instructions while we're out of comm, so they'd be waiting on the other side of the sun outage.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (tim53 @ Sep 25 2006, 02:15 PM) *
which is based in large part on the MOC C-PROTO provided to the science team by MSSS, and due to be released very soon (already?).

Nope. Not yet.

Thanks Tim for this image -- consider it a guitar pick for the groupies biggrin.gif
mhoward
QUOTE (tim53 @ Sep 25 2006, 10:15 PM) *
I'm trying to set things up with our outreach people so that my "solly" (as apposed to "daily") location updates can be seen in the outside world,

This would be a great time to get that started, since we're about to embark on such a great adventure smile.gif Hope it comes together.
dot.dk
Looks like sol 950 will be VERY interesting tongue.gif

950 p0666.03 0 0 0 0 0 0 navcam_6x1_az_108_3_bpp
950 p1151.04 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
950 p1154.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
950 p1201.05 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_haz_penultimate_1_bpp_crit17
950 p1212.09 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_haz_ultimate_2_bpp_pri15
950 p1275.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
950 p1275.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
950 p1301.04 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_haz_penultimate_1bpp_pri17
950 p1311.07 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
950 p1375.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
950 p1375.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
950 p1585.00 0 0 0 0 0 0 navcam_cloud_4x1_dwnsmp_RVRAz_calstart
950 p1764.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 navcam_4x1_az_288_1_bpp
950 p2600.09 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_tau
950 p2631.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_sky_spot_L234567R34567
Stu
Quickie view...

Click to view attachment
odave
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 25 2006, 06:42 PM) *
consider it a guitar pick for the groupies biggrin.gif

....aw, dude - I'm like never going to wash my browser again! laugh.gif
diane
QUOTE (RedSky @ Sep 25 2006, 06:35 PM) *
Does anyone know the dates when solar conjunction will cause comm outage?

I believe the start date is around October 18. We should get our view of Victoria first.
MarkL
QUOTE (tim53 @ Sep 25 2006, 10:15 PM) *
The object on the horizon some of you have referred to is indeed on the near rim of the crater. What's surprising, looking at the ground panoramas, is that the crater extends quite a ways to either side of the view of the far rim - which we're seeing because of our proximity to Duck Bay, which is 45 meters from our current location.

Thanks Tim.

Has anyone attempted to compute the height of the distant crater rim visible on the horizon? The higher it is the more scientifically interesting it should be considering that Victoria's rim is not evident above the level of the surrounding plain. A trip to that crater would be truly epic and may be very worthwhile.

We are definitely only seeing a small segment of the far rim of Vic -- you can see some tantalizing areas both left and right of the exposed far rim (especially noticeable in the analglyphs) where there is some type of depression. It should open up incredibly as the rover gets within 10m. Although I expect the width of the crater to be quite impressive it seems to me that without visual references for true scale (like the mystery men) the panoramas of the crater may not seem much different to those of Endurance (may even appear shallower even though it's 70+m deep). It will be interesting to see how the first pans appear and what is done to give a sense of the hugeness of the crater. I'm looking forward to the first images, but I think it will be truly impressive to see a flyover of a 3-d model of the crater complete with mystery men, rover to scale, caves, gullies and that incredible dunefield.

Standing there on the rim would be amazing though wouldn't it? But then, if a one of us was there instead of oppy we would have taken in the Victoria vista on day one of the trip and would probably be at the bottom of the Mariner Valley by now!
jamescanvin
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Sep 26 2006, 09:21 AM) *
Looks like sol 950 will be VERY interesting tongue.gif

And we have an 8 pointing, L7/R1 drive direction pancam mosaic on the menu now as well! smile.gif smile.gif cool.gif pancam.gif

CODE
950 p2386.08 16  0   0   16  2   34   pancam_drv_dir_L7R1

This is gonna be great, even if it turns out to be a short drive.

[Two reasons why L7/R1 is better, 1) much better resolution than the usual L2/R2 and 2) The outcrops won't be so bright compared to the rest of the image and so shouldn't appear so overexposed in the jpegs we get]

James
Bubbinski
And it's 10:34 am at Meridiani! When I wake up I hope to see some great shots of Victoria......
Pando
Nice article in The Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6092501112.html

After enduring an 18-month trek through rugged terrain, dust devils and daily temperature swings approaching 200 degrees, the rover is scheduled to arrive today within easy lens view of a deep and geologically revealing crater. By tomorrow, if all goes well, the little robot that could will be right at Victoria Crater's edge and in position to peer inside and send back images like none seen before.

"Exploring Victoria is something we joked and fantasized about but never really thought we could realistically get to it," said Steven Squyres of Cornell University, principal investigator for the rovers' science instruments. "This is the absolutely highest-priority destination we could have reached."

(emphasis mine)
tty
"Rugged terrain"? I must say I've seen a lot more rugged terrain in Iowa than in Meridiani. biggrin.gif

tty
kenny
Stu, Wrong planet. Your "Quickie view..." looks like Venus from one of the Soviet Venera landers...

Tty, rolling over those dunes for months was indeed a "rugged" trip, even if our current area is smooth. But I was pleased to see my long-ago predictions of the smooth nature of the Victoria annulus confirmed, rather than the boulder-strewn worries of others...

Kenny
Stu
QUOTE (kenny @ Sep 26 2006, 06:46 AM) *
Stu, Wrong planet. Your "Quickie view..." looks like Venus from one of the Soviet Venera landers...

That's a joke, right? smile.gif I mean, you're not really suggesting I can't tell Mars from Venus... wink.gif

That was colourised v quickly from yesterday's pancams. Hope there's better today... rolleyes.gif
akuo
So, who's here waiting for the images from tosol?
Stu
QUOTE (akuo @ Sep 26 2006, 10:50 AM) *
So, who's here waiting for the images from tosol?

Me... smile.gif

Can I get you a coffee akuo? I'm having one...
jamescanvin
Me too. It's 9pm in Sydney now and I'm not expecting any images for a while yet. Could be a late night tonight! I'll take a coffee if your offering. wink.gif
Tesheiner
Is that a poll, akuo? biggrin.gif

Iīm here too and hope to have some time to see whatever we see after tosolīs drive.
BTW Iīll be in Germany (at/near Karlsruhe) for the whole week so donīt expect any route map update during this period.
Stu
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 26 2006, 10:59 AM) *
I'll take a coffee if your offering. wink.gif

No problem. Got some choccie biccies here somewhere too... pass those to akuo would you James? Ta. Sydney sounds gorgeous... I envy you your stunning night sky, with its beautiful Milky Way core overhead, you lucky thing... but can't complain, it's a beautifully sunny day here in Kendal, birthplace or stellar physicist Sir Arthur Eddington, sunlight streaming through the window as I sit here and try again to post something on "Victoria's Innards", only been trying for two days... that thread just doesn't like me at ALL... mad.gif

While waiting for new images of VC I've been going through my "Endurance" folders, reliving those heady days of gazing at outcrops and ledges there. They were exciting, eh? Wonder if we'll see them repeated inside VC, or if we'll be restricted to looking down at outcrops or at their sides from halfway down ramps... I'd love to see another image of Oppy's shadow cast over the rippled dust dunes too, like we did at Endurance... smile.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 26 2006, 09:03 PM) *
BTW Iīll be in Germany (at/near Karlsruhe) for the whole week so donīt expect any route map update during this period.

I'll try and fill in as usual, although with the downlink time heading into night here I might not be very prompt.

QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 26 2006, 09:08 PM) *
No problem. Got some choccie biccies here somewhere too... pass those to akuo would you James? Ta.

Will do, cheers.

QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 26 2006, 09:08 PM) *
Sydney sounds gorgeous... I envy you your stunning night sky, with its beautiful Milky Way core overhead, you lucky thing...

Well not tonight, just looked out and we just have the orange glow of city lights reflecting off cloud. But it is stunning sometimes, I don't mind doing the washing up so much when I can see the Southen Cross out the window while doing it. tongue.gif
akuo
Half past again, time to get ready if anything appears on Exploratorium. Nothing indicated by the Tracking site, but it has been late before...
akuo
The images are here!
Aberdeenastro
WOW!!

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...CNP0666L0M1.JPG

Castor
Stu
Wow, willya look at that... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
MahFL
QUOTE (Castor @ Sep 26 2006, 11:41 AM) *

Funy I said WOW too. Can't wait for the Pancams.....
djellison
Well - another 50 minutes wait now smile.gif

Doug
diane
While you're waiting, note that even the front hazcam is showing detail of the far rim, and Vicky covers almost the entire horizon even in the fisheye focus!

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...CNP1212L0M1.JPG
Stu
Click to view attachment

So close you can almost touch it...!
jamescanvin
Just to make sure everyone knows what they are looking at. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Look at the huge chunk that looks like it's fallen from F3!

James
diane
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 26 2006, 07:56 AM) *
Click to view attachment

Look at the huge chunk that looks like it's fallen from F3!

I grew up in the Ozarks, where fallen rocks like that were kind of routine, and a lot of highways wound tightly around the base of cliffs and bluffs. There were highway warning signs that said "WATCH FOR FALLEN ROCKS" and I always thought of those signs like markers from a tour guide.

That orbital image almost hangs over the horizon like a huge thunderstorm. Ah, the weather of home!

Neat image, James; thanks for mapping the feature back to the orbital image!
Oersted
Who were those dorks passing coffee around, I just spilled it down my shirt and tie! cool.gif

I'm having my lunch break from interpreting in the European Parliament right now: meetings about Rumanian and Bulgarian accession to the EU, the newly-elect president of Liberia is also here... - Earthly matters of some significance, but my head is on Mars!
jamescanvin
Oops, I was a little bit over zealous with my cropping, here's another one that follows the rim a little bit further to the left.

Click to view attachment

James
Oersted
Great job James!

Interesting to study the differences in lighting. Seems that even the less-dramatic-looking parts of the rim, as seen from the orbiter, manage to produce overhang shadows.
Stu
V quick and dirty colourisation...
Floyd
NASA new release 09.25.06

mars.gif

Mars Exploration Rovers mission has been extended an additional year. Funding for Mars Global Surveyor and Mars Odyssey have been extended two years.

Expected, but very welcome news.

Floyd
ngunn
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 26 2006, 01:09 PM) *

Nice one Stu. I know what the purists will say but I like it!
Tesheiner
"Wow" is what I thought too!
And look that we can clearly distinguish Cabo Verde on the left of this first navcam (canīt wait for the next ones in 10 minutes or so). I said before and will say again: watch your step, Oppy!
Stu
QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 26 2006, 12:21 PM) *
Nice one Stu. I know what the purists will say but I like it!

Thanks! "Pure" can - and will, I'm sure - come later, I just wanted to see this part of Red Mars smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.