Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Approach
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Mizar
A guesstimate of what we really see in many panoramas on this board.

http://static.flickr.com/79/249864537_e8df57f5dc_o.jpg
Nirgal
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Sep 22 2006, 08:36 PM) *
Never mind solar conjunction. What happens after mission termination? Some of these guys may need therapy sessions or withdrawal counseling laugh.gif

Oh yes, oh yes ... this will become very hard: a life without constantly checking the epxloratorium-refresh button wink.gif

Hmmm what about setting up a dummy "exploratorium" web page that occasional shows
randomly selected sky-thumbnails and a mission-update text generator that spits out sentences like this:

"Sol 104778: Opportunity used the morning to examine certain points in the sky with its panoramic camera and miniature thermal emission spectrometer. The miniature thermal emission spectrometer took measurements of the sky and ground, and the instrument's calibration targets were examined.
Long term goal remains to finish the current Moessbaur Integration on the rock target dubbed "Godot37"
during the next 150 Sols ..."

SCNR wink.gif
djellison
I must admit - the concept of some sort of 'fan fiction' for long after the rovers end is more than a little tempting smile.gif

Doug
mhoward
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 22 2006, 06:14 PM) *
But Oppy, sweetheart, dearest, for the love of god, will you move! Just a little bit! The same view for two days!! Two days of constantly checking Exploratorium for new images (earlier today: after yet another F5 press two ****** thumbnail images of the Sun appear! The sun!!! mad.gif ) and not seeing an inch further over the edge! This is just cruel...!!! ohmy.gif

A little practical advice: When Exploratorium updates it usually happens at 35 minutes after the hour. Also, I've heard tell that there may be some sort of software program that automatically checks both JPL and Exploratorium and downloads any new images for you. (I know you probably already know that. Just sayin')

I understand, though.

P.S.: What we *need* is some sort of program to automatically download UMSF updates.
ngunn
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Sep 22 2006, 06:08 PM) *
Good point, I've been thinking something along those lines as well. Awhile back (Post #136), climber jokingly mentioned what looked like caves on the far side of Victoria. From a distance, they do indeed look a lot like remnant sea caves, very similar to some I've seen in the Callahan Divide of the Edwards Plateau in West Texas (the Callahan Divide was apparently once an island when the sea level was higher). Then there's that nice horizontal line visible near the base of the evaporite layer; I know it sounds hokey, but could that perhaps be a remant shoreline? Considering that we know that the ground in Meridiani was once wet, mightn't that suggest that ground water would translate into surface water in a depression such as Victoria? Realistically, any open water would have almost certainly been topped by a layer of ice, so the apparent "sea caves" would have to form by some process other than wave action (perhaps sapping?). Sheer speculation, but the first good view over the rim could be interesting.

Algorimancer we seem to be on the same tack here. Tall vertical cliffs strongly indicate that a large volume of debris has just disappeared from the scene as the cliffs formed. Dvandorn I see that you think this could have been done simply by wind sucking dust out of the crater - Victoria doing her own housekeeping, as it were. This seems highly implausible to me as it would be easier for dust to blow in than out, given the topography. I (tentatively) predict that the profile of Victoria will turn out to be significantly different from a scaled-up Endurance and that we'll have to resort to some kind of different (sapping-like) explanation for the cliffs.

The scalloped shape of Victoria is distinctive too, and probably not unrelated.
Stu
QUOTE (mhoward @ Sep 22 2006, 07:24 PM) *
When Exploratorium updates it usually happens at 35 minutes after the hour.

OMG, you know in all these months and years of slaving over a hot keyboard looking at that site I've never actually noticed that! Honestly, not joking. ohmy.gif

That image downloading software program sounds useful; you should set up a website or something... wink.gif

(just haven't got around to downloading the software yet, you know what it's like... besides, part of me - a cruel, masochistic part - enjoys the thrill of the hunt, experiencing that "yes!!" moment when you see a new untouched line at the bottom of the Exploratorium page written in come-get-me blue... wink.gif )

P.S. How's this interview for a blast from the past"... if only we knew then what we know now, eh? smile.gif
Reckless
Withdrawal symptoms after Oppys demise why should we have withdrawal symptoms then, it will be only like two days before MSL arrives wont it blink.gif
Roy F
Bill Harris
QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 22 2006, 02:25 PM) *
Tall vertical cliffs strongly indicate that a large volume of debris has just disappeared from the scene as the cliffs formed.

A portion of the material of the crater was pulverized, vaporized and tossed on onto the plain surrounding the crater; we drove over it on the way in. biggrin.gif The weathered and soughed-off material from the rim is present as the "talus pile" fron the bluffs down to the crater floor. Now that we are here we can make close guesstimates of thicknesses and can figure some volumes. Sooner or later we'll understand the erosional-depositional processes here.

The puzzler for me is understanding crater exhumation.

--Bill
Nirgal
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 22 2006, 09:49 PM) *
... besides, part of me - a cruel, masochistic part - enjoys the thrill of the hunt, experiencing that "yes!!" moment when you see a new untouched line at the bottom of the Exploratorium page written in come-get-me blue... wink.gif )

laugh.gif
climber
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 22 2006, 07:01 PM) *
Perhaps the racetrack patterns induced by heating effects in craters are counter to Mars' rotation in the mornings, thereby less likely to cause dust devils, but become synced with Mar's coriolis effect to end up with reinforced rotation patterns and free-standing dust devils in the afternoons?
-the other Doug

Spirit is clearly in Southern Hemisphere while xxxxx Opportunity is very close to the equator. So, vortex could be clockwise for one and counter clockwise for the other so may be DD happen during the morning at Meridianii. Does it make sense to you?
climber
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Sep 22 2006, 07:08 PM) *
climber jokingly mentioned what looked like caves on the far side of Victoria.

I was NOT joking biggrin.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 22 2006, 02:12 PM) *
Spirit is clearly in Southern Hemisphere while Spirit

?????
fredk
The Coriolis effect gets weaker closer to the equator (and is exactly zero on the equator). Plus it's extremely weak on small scales, so I'm quite certain it would have no effect on something as local as a dust devil.

The urban myth about sinks draining in different senses in different hemispheres is just that, a myth. Any force strong enough to affect drains would be noticable just driving or even walking around!
climber
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 23 2006, 12:28 AM) *
?????

Corrected in the post!
Dan, I thought you knew the other one name was Spirit biggrin.gif
BTW, thanks wink.gif
dot.dk
The JPL version of the pancam of Victoria has been posted!

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/press/op.../20060922a.html
dot.dk
And I think SOL 948 will be a REAL driving sol!! wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

CODE
948 p0665.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_5x1_az_108_3_bpp
948 p1151.04 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
948 p1154.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
948 p1201.05 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_haz_penultimate_1_bpp_crit17
948 p1213.00 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_haz_ultimate_3bpp
948 p1275.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
948 p1275.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
948 p1301.04 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_haz_penultimate_1bpp_pri17
948 p1313.02 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_haz_ultimate_3bpp_pri15
948 p1375.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
948 p1375.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
948 p1585.00 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_cloud_4x1_dwnsmp_RVRAz_calstart
948 p1965.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_5x1_az_288_1_bpp
fredk
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Sep 22 2006, 10:47 PM) *
The JPL version of the pancam of Victoria has been posted!

Beautiful! No more clipped blacks and whites! Now all we need is some nice sharp L7's!
Decepticon
Does anyone know if we will see Victoria this weekend or on Monday?

I planning my weekend and wondering if I need my laptop up north.
fredk
Here's the new jpl pan, shrunk to 33% horizontally:
Click to view attachment
I don't recall anyone pointing this out yet, but notice how the thickness of the layer (evaporite?) above the very thin layer (indicated by black arrows in my pan) varies along the rim, with the thickest evaporite on the right side. We know the south to east part of the rim is considerably lower than the near rim. Perhaps this means that the very thin layer is (more or less) horizontal, and the rim is higher in places because the evaporite is thicker there.

If this is correct, then we'll have much easier access to the deepest layers on the south and east parts of the rim.
Bill Harris
I'm thinking that the dark horizontal bed is the pre-impact ground surface and the variable evaporite above it is the pulverized ejecta from Victoria.

We do need to map the lithologies at the several Capes around the rim. Inputting this data into a fence diagram and 3-D modeling software will alow us to visualize the subsurface structure here.

--Bill
Floyd
STU Sept 19, 2006

"There's a big chunka something over on the left there... ohmy.gif "

Well it isn't a chunk of ejectra, but rather the rim of a bay as can be seen in the JPL hi-res Pancam
SteveM
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 22 2006, 01:01 PM) *
In re the effect of craters on wind patterns -- recall that craters undergo regular cycles of differential heatng and cooling, too. As the sun rises, it heats the eastward-facing slopes of the crater more than the surrounding terrain, and much more than the shadowed west-facing crater slopes.

Air rises over the heated slopes and sinks over the shadowed slopes. The bowl shape of the crater encourages a vortex-like pattern of airflow, making it racetrack within the crater itself.

Now, as the day progresses, the prevailing winds of the area pass over this crater. The racetrack pattern pulls up and involves this wind in its little circulation pattern, causing a local intensification of wind around and inside the crater. In some cases, this causes a much higher column of rotating air than you get from the crater heating effects along, a pattern that can sustain itself for several minutes. As the air mass that contains this vortex moves along, the newly-born dust devil departs the crater and wanders out onto the adjacent terrain.

I would think it possible that morning heating would produce one rotation vector, and afternoon heating would produce another, perhaps opposite, vector....

-the other Doug

Doug,

There's one more complication in the heating and cooling patterns. Right now the Sun is rising somewhat North of East, setting somewhat North of West, and (since we're near the equator) passing a bit North of the zenith at noontime. Come the opposite solstice, the Sun will rise somewhat South of East, set somewhat South of West, and pass a bit South of the zenith at noontime.

To the extent that heating patterns drive the wind patterns, we should get different wind patterns at the northern solstice, southern solstice, and the equinoxes.
fredk
QUOTE (Floyd @ Sep 23 2006, 12:57 AM) *
Well it isn't a chunk of ejectra, but rather the rim of a bay as can be seen in the JPL hi-res Pancam

Exactly, Floyd. Check out our discussion of this in the Duck Bay thread...
alan
First trial of the automatic cloud imaging?

949 p1585.00 0 0 0 0 0 0 navcam_sky_flat_custom_pointing

The select sols box on the MER Pancam Data Tracking Web Interface looks a bit too narrow. I wonder if it will have a S1K problem.
djellison
'flat' would suggest not - perhaps they're taking a new flatfield to store onboard to help identify differences such as clouds etc.

Doug
Pando
biggrin.gif tongue.gif
Nix
Nice job Pando! Explain us..

Nico
Pando
ph34r.gif
climber
Have you noticed this crater on the plain ?
Click to view attachment

To my eyes it looks more Endurance-like than Victoria's because of the rised rim visible from where we are.
Since we can also see the interior it could be that either the crater is tilted our way or that Oppy's higher than this crater.

Corrected : better with the attachment smile.gif
jamescanvin
I've noticed that feature. As with the other horizon features I think this will be much clearer when we have better images (L7, lower compression etc) images.

However, just to pass the time, here is the direction of that dark patch on the Themis:

Click to view attachment

I doubt we could see that old eroded crater that's many km's away, I've marked a much closer dark feature in that direction that could be what we see.

James
algorimancer
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 23 2006, 08:03 AM) *
However, just to pass the time, here is the direction of that dark patch on the Themis:
I doubt we could see that old eroded crater that's many km's away, I've marked a much closer dark feature in that direction that could be what we see.

I would be more inclined to bet that our azimuth pointing is a hair off and what we're seeing is this feature (cyan circle). Notice that it is apparently large enough to have its own dune field. The image off in that direction is lower resolution than on the left, otherwise I think it would stand out nearly as distinctly as Victoria:
Click to view attachment
Bobby
Pando has way to much fun with his drawing and photo software rolleyes.gif
ustrax is trying to find another abyss

and Me keeps waiting for new images on exploratorium to show up unsure.gif
babboxy
anything to expect for this weekend or can I go do other things?!
OWW
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/sta...All.html#sol941

The latest update says sol 946 was a remote sensing day. They must have cancelled the driving for that day and moved it to sol 948. That means no Victoria before Wednesday I suppose... mad.gif
ilbasso
QUOTE (Bobby @ Sep 23 2006, 12:08 PM) *
Pando has way to much fun with his drawing and photo software rolleyes.gif
ustrax is trying to find another abyss

and Me keeps waiting for new images on exploratorium to show up unsure.gif

I must admit, Pando had me thinking we had gotten to the rim! I was disappointed - I thought, gee, there's almost nothing visible below the rim cliffs...the whole crater is blanketed by sand! I only realized it was a fake when an hour had passed since the posting and no one else had posted any rim panoramas.

Great job, Pando!!
imipak
QUOTE (babboxy @ Sep 23 2006, 05:20 PM) *
anything to expect for this weekend or can I go do other things?!

Personally, I'm spending the weekend waiting to see whether I could have been doing something else.

Tosol (948) I think we'll see some of the short test drives Steve Squyres referred to in the update; we won't make significant rimwards drive until early next week. I've been known to be less than 100% accurate in the past though... wink.gif
Nix
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Sep 23 2006, 09:44 PM) *
I must admit, Pando had me thinking we had gotten to the rim! I was disappointed - I thought, gee, there's almost nothing visible below the rim cliffs...the whole crater is blanketed by sand! I only realized it was a fake when an hour had passed since the posting and no one else had posted any rim panoramas.

Great job, Pando!!

He had me fooled too (with the thumbnail). The actual scene will be more detailed indeed -although below the cliffs I'm not expecting anything much except some boulders and a glorious dunefield. I wouldn't be surprised, given the orbital imagery we have, if sand is the main ingredient deeper in the bowl.

Nico
fredk
Now that the view in front of us has been sorted out (see Duck Bay thread) I can safely place some mystery men at various points along the rim. Here's the jpl R2 pan with several guys to set the scale:
Click to view attachment
As always, this shows that things are closer and smaller than you may have guessed. Also notice how the men on the far rim really give a sense of the immense gap before us.
Nix
Ah! the mystery man, been waiting for this...

Thanks fredk, good to get a sense of the scale ahead of us.

Nico smile.gif
dilo
Great montage, Pando... AND, even if more detailed, I think real panorama will be not too different from this. (PS: I love your Avatar, Dr. Strangelove! wink.gif )
And thanks for the mistery man, fredk!

I didn't resist to work also on official PanCam stitch, here below a processed/stretched (2.5x) version with, in the inset, the horizon with further contrast increase.
Click to view attachment
The features belonging to the rim of the "35 Km crater" Troy (?) are very interesting.
What hit me of this VC view is the net horizontal cut in the stratigraphy and the fact that this line establish the vertical limit for the rim. In other words, the most internal rim features (the "capes") ends exactly where this dark line contact the surface material... This cannot be by chance and could be related to a change in the mechanical behavior of terrain OR to the VC genesis itself (is the dark line a deposit of ejected material, covered by eolian transported material?).
Any idea?
David
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 23 2006, 09:49 PM) *
As always, this shows that things are closer and smaller than you may have guessed. Also notice how the men on the far rim really give a sense of the immense gap before us.

Closer, yes. But smaller? Unh-uh! That thing is colossal -- and all the more striking for being situated in loneliness in a flat desert plain, instead of being surrounded by other craters large and small (as would be the case on the Moon).

Worst thing is that those "ramps" are looking much steeper and less navigable than I had hoped. Hopefully the harsh incline is to some extent an illusion.
fredk
Actually I meant just the foreground stuff looks smaller than I expected. You're absolutely right that the structures on the far rim are huge and very far away.

James Canvin and I have been measuring the slopes of some of the bays on the far rim (see this post for example). We're finding the shallowest bays are only around 16 degrees or so. That would be easily rovable if the surface is reasonably solid. It's the effect of foreshortening that makes them look steep. I believe the cliffs, on the other hand, are very steep.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Sep 24 2006, 12:04 AM) *
I would be more inclined to bet that our azimuth pointing is a hair off and what we're seeing is this feature (cyan circle). Notice that it is apparently large enough to have its own dune field. The image off in that direction is lower resolution than on the left, otherwise I think it would stand out nearly as distinctly as Victoria:
Click to view attachment

I'm not so sure, that crater is as far away as the twin peaks and they appear to be on (or over the horizon) the dark mark on the pancams seems to extend several pixels below the horizon, suggesting that it's closer. The image in that direction maybe a lower resolution but there are plenty of smaller scale features present, I don't think that it's just low resolution image of a Victoria class crater, just an old bowl in the ground.

Anyway, lets wait for L7 with it's better resolution.

James
Nix
Had a play also with the official pancam mosaic...not much new but we gotta do something eh?

Interesting detail on the other side of the crater, as in dilo's enhancements.

(http://www.awalkonmars.com/PIA08776_fig2 anacrop3xveE2.jpg)

Nico
jamescanvin
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 24 2006, 07:49 AM) *
Also notice how the men on the far rim really give a sense of the immense gap before us.

Wow, that's a great image Fred! Really gives some scale to those cliffs, just imagining tiny Oppy up there (perhaps some 'Mystery Rovers' could be in order) makes me worried about her - this as scary place! unsure.gif

James
Floyd
Images in at exploratorium--but few intact. Never seen so many partial images.
Nix
indeed much of the data is missing -for now

mystery man visits 3D then.

Nico
stevesliva
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 23 2006, 05:49 PM) *

Holy Canoli! It's one thing to know that, yeah, it's 3/4km away, but now those cliffs look ginormous.
MahFL
Thats good work, but how do you calculate the size of the men at the different places ? Also how accurate do you think it is ?
fredk
I start with Oppy's position from Tesheiner's route map. Then I pick some spots in the rover imagery to place the men. All you need is the distance to those spots. If they're close, you can use Algorimancer to get the distances by parallax. Otherwise you have to identify those spots on the orbital images. That can be very hard. Then you measure the distances from the map.

I assume the man is 2 metres tall from ground to top of raised hand. With the distances, it's simple trig to get the angle subtended by the men at Oppy. Knowing the fields of view of the cameras those angles are translated to pixel height for the men.

For this image I'm very confident of all the positions (as we hammered out in the Duck Bay thread). The men's heights are certainly accurate to 10% and probably 5%.

Thanks for the 3D version, Nico! I thought about doing one, but haven't managed yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.