Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victoria here we come...
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
fredk
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 7 2006, 01:12 PM) *
Assuming h=1.5m (pancam height), d=150m (distance up to the entry ramp), and D=700m (distance from the entry ramp up to the far rim), and given we have just started to see the far rim at/around that little crater, it means that the far rim is about 7m below the near rim (not including the section we are currently seeing).

Tesheiner, there's a very simple check on your result that the far rim we can see is 7m below the near rim, which does not require the distance to the near rim, but does require the assumption that the far horizon we can now see is roughly the same altitude as we are.

If that's the case, then a point pancam height above the far rim would apear on our horizon if the far rim were at our height. Instead, that point appears roughly 28 pixels below the horizon, which at 810m distance corresponds to 6 or 6.5 metres. In other words, the far rim (I'm considering the lowest part of it we can see) is about 6 or 6.5 metres lower than Oppy's wheels. Since we have a bit of a climb from here to the actual near rim, your figure of 7m is entirely consistent with mine.

Equivalently, just look at my mystery man image above: it would take about 3.5 men 2 metres tall standing on each other to reach up from the far rim to the horizon!
Aberdeenastro
We seem to be getting confused between two Victoria approach threads here. Any chance of agreeing on a single thread?

Castor
djellison
I was hoping people would transition to the new one - but instead I'll have to put up some road cones and a diversion sign

THREAD CLOSED - use this one - http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=3149
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.