Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victoria here we come...
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
David
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Aug 25 2006, 02:55 PM) *
What has happened with so many crossing tracks? Looks like that Oppy is somewhat lost or looking for any special? At the end, seems that Oppy has changed its southeast direction to East...

Perhaps Opportunity was trying a trenching operation -- and found the surface unusually hard? Which would be very interesting in itself.
djellison
Turning around with one broken steering actuator is something of a ballet.

smile.gif

Doug
dot.dk
This weekends worksite smile.gif

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...8WP1963L0M1.JPG
mhoward
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Aug 25 2006, 02:52 PM) *
That wasn't a long drive... mad.gif tongue.gif

Well, next week is gonna be exciting!

Not much of a drive at all - just a bump and a scuff. That's alright... next week will make up for it smile.gif
Tesheiner
Shallow trench, isn't it?

> Well, next week is gonna be exciting!

I think next week will be of "restricted sols". If that's correct, they'll just have time to arrive at Epsilon.
mhoward
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 25 2006, 03:57 PM) *
Shallow trench, isn't it?

That's fine by me as well... I wouldn't want anything to happen to any of those nice wheels right now. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

As Doug suggests, maybe it's harder to dig a trench with a bum steering actuator.
Indian3000
arrrf just thinks that oppy breaks down at the edge of Victoria,
without throwing a glance, that there gives me shivers unsure.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 24 2006, 09:45 PM) *
Here are two versions of the full 917 pan by mhoward in polar form. Look at the polygonal pattern of markings in the less exaggerated one (left). Strange!

Phil

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

There is also something of a polyganality in the bright(ish) drifts in Oppy's drive direction in the left image. The surface is lightly scalloped in the drive direction, with small ripple-like features that are smaller and have very different sets of orientations and morphologies from the dark-sand ripples we've been driving on.

I think what we're seeing ahead of us in this image is a suggestion of the jumbled blocks that eroded away to leave this flat surface.

I also think that the large polygons in the dust "above" Oppy in the left image may argue for a surface coating of ice, or of a water table high enough to keep the surface of the annulus damp, *after* the ejecta blanket was emplaced. I'd think that you would need a dessication process to account for the polygonality, which assumes water (liquid or ice) either on or in the surface...

-the other Doug
tty
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 25 2006, 07:17 PM) *
I'd think that you would need a dessication process to account for the polygonality, which assumes water (liquid or ice) either on or in the surface...

-the other Doug

You are thinking of desiccation cracks. However at least on Earth they are never on such a large scale. I would suggest polygonal ground instead, This is ubiquitous in permafrost areas on Earth where the surface layer periodically thaws and freezes. Or even more likely we are seeing surface traces of a more or less polygonal fissure pattern in the underlying bedrock.

tty
RNeuhaus
I have searched in order to explain about what is polygonal. I found a useful explanation that might be of interest for others non-geologist man.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/msss/camera/i...5_02/index.html

Rodolfo
RNeuhaus
A new update from MER Rovers JPL, August 25

The team planned a trenching activity for sol 919 (Aug. 25, 2006) to prepare for a robotic arm campaign during the weekend.

This weekend Oppy will take many panoramic pictures (forwad and rear directions and then observations of sky and ground with the miniature thermal emission spectrometer during the Odyssey pass.

Lately JPL is taking much about Odyssey that before haven't done so. What is up? I suppose that Odyssey was on verge of having trouble and JPL were working hard to recover the control of Odyssey as transporder of comunications between MER and JPL. The Odyssey WEB page has no fresh news but after long intervals. Any comments ?

Rodolfo
Zeke4ther
New status report at MER mission home

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html
CosmicRocker
Wow! There is a lot of good information in that 8/25 update...more than usual. smile.gif Thanks, Rodolfo. It looks like we have a lot of MIs to look forward to next, according to the tracking site.

By the way, there are a lot of things that can create polygonal patterns in the soil. We need to put these features in context with other similar things we've seen along the way.
dilo
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 26 2006, 06:18 AM) *
Wow! There is a lot of good information in that 8/25 update...more than usual.

True, they make also a short comment on the "ZERO_SEC_MSL" Sun images we discussed some days ago.
I hope next reports will be detailed too!

PS: Oppy just reached 9Km milestone smile.gif
Myran
Dilo wrote: Oppy just reached 9Km milestone

I logged in to post that and you beat me! You're not my friend anymore and now I will walk into a corner and pout! laugh.gif
dilo
QUOTE (Myran @ Aug 26 2006, 08:31 AM) *
I logged in to post that and you beat me! You're not my friend anymore and now I will walk into a corner and pout! laugh.gif

Noo! pls! ohmy.gif
I promise I will miss to claim the even more significative 10Km milestone, if you are quick enough the privilege will be your! wink.gif
(9Km, a 2 hours promenade for a men...!)
Bill Harris
Not going looney and proposing the brine-splat BS, but I wonder if polygons could not be related to the emplacement of a wet evaporite ejecta. The polygons to have the look of frost polygons or patterned ground. Maybe we'll have more answers/puzzle-pieces soon. Looks like a good weekend for doing science at this stop!

--Bill
CosmicRocker
The thing that I find most surprizing about the polygons is their similarity to the bedrock fractures we've seen everywhere in the etched terrain. Here they are covered with a veneer of soil, but we've even seen that before in the areas where some kind of sapping or subsidence process causes the underlying fractures to show through the soil. To me, that suggests a bedrock surface below the soil here that might very well be pretty much the same as that which Opportunity has been driving over since the beginning of the mission. I was really expecting something different.

Off topic note: Jim Bell has been the guest blogger on Emily's blog this week, and in my opinion, he has been the best one so far. His latest piece is on a subject that is near and dear to the hearts of many of us space exploration enthusiasts, "Giving Away the Data." Don't miss it. smile.gif
dot.dk
I noticed that Oppy has taken an awful lot of hazcams showing the arm in the same initial unstow position.
Three 1024x1024 front haz pairs and a single 512x512 pair

And from the PC tracking site they are named:

CODE
920 p1110.02 1   0   0   2   0   3    front_haz_mi_1024x1024x1bpp_pri56
920 p1110.02 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_mi_1024x1024x1bpp_pri56
920 p1121.03 2   0   2   0   0   4    fhaz_idd_apxs_doc_512x512x1bpp_pri56

And as of now the many planned MI's haven't shown up... unsure.gif

Could be an azimuth motor stall or?
dilo
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 27 2006, 01:07 AM) *
Off topic note: Jim Bell has been the guest blogger on Emily's blog this week, and in my opinion, he has been the best one so far. His latest piece is on a subject that is near and dear to the hearts of many of us space exploration enthusiasts, "Giving Away the Data." Don't miss it. smile.gif

Thanks for highlight, Tom, is a very interesting reading.
Best parts are: "I feel that all of us involved in space exploration are privileged to have been entrusted with taxpayer dollars to do the best possible science. We have an obligation to share both our successes and failures openly and honestly with the general public." and "I think it's unfortunate that some missions, like the Hubble Space Telescope and the European Mars Express orbiter, don't share all their data as quickly. Heck, it's (partly) my tax dollars at work, too... ".
We all know the "ESA PR disaster" issue, is good to know that Jim has exactly our thinking on this! mad.gif
Bill Harris
The drama continues. As of the early hours of 27 August (or late morning in Europe) the still-life of the IDD hasn't changed.

--Bill
Nirgal
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Aug 27 2006, 11:10 AM) *
The drama continues. As of the early hours of 27 August (or late morning in Europe) the still-life of the IDD hasn't changed.

--Bill

oh no, please !! ... not *that close* to Victoria sad.gif
Nirgal
ok, in the mean time, for a little consolation smile.gif, here is a colorized MI image of blue pebbles on red sand, taken on Sol 910:

dilo
don't panic sad.gif don't panic blink.gif don't panic ph34r.gif ...
Nice colorization, Bernhard, this help me to relax a little! wink.gif
djellison
We know the IDD to be a bit of a troublemaker, so I wouldn't worry.

Doug
Nix
sweet colorization Bernhard ohmy.gif

Nico
dot.dk
Again on SOL 921 no movement sad.gif

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 26 2006, 04:07 PM) *

I think that from now on this is going to be a "Genie out of the bottle" situation with regard to releasing images. Now that a segment of the public is accustomed to real-time photo releases, the "data hording" crowd that Jim talks about will really hear it from taxpayers -- at least in the case of imagery. Bet they aren't too happy with him these days.
general
There seems to be some movement of the arm, but is this "before" or "after"?

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...8ZP1131L0M1.JPG

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...8ZP1131R0M1.JPG
Sunspot
QUOTE (general @ Aug 27 2006, 06:47 PM) *

That movemnt is caused by the changing perspective due to viewing left and right hazcam images.

Weren't there clues in the pan cam tracking data labels for the hazcam images the last time the IDD had problems?
dot.dk
The weekend has all been planned friday so they won't have had time to take action on this yet. So Oppy presumably just did take the hazcams whether or not the IDD has done any work.

The hazcams are named:

CODE
920 p1110.02 1   0   0   2   0   3    front_haz_mi_1024x1024x1bpp_pri56
920 p1121.03 2   0   2   0   0   4    fhaz_idd_apxs_doc_512x512x1bpp_pri56
920 p1154.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
921 p1131.04 2   0   2   0   0   4    f_haz_idd_mb_doc_512x512x1bpp_vhigh
921 p1154.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc

So obviously it was intended to document some work with the IDD. We'll see monday if this just is a motor stall and they'll quickly resolve it. Probably means Victoria is delayed a few days if they're gonna redo the weekend campaign sad.gif
Jeff7
The arm did move a small distance from its end-of-drive unstowing postion.

Before

After

The arm was lowered ever so slightly, and it looks like the instrument package was turned a little bit. That was the last movement it did, so I guess that triggered the motor stall.
nprev
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 27 2006, 10:31 AM) *
I think that from now on this is going to be a "Genie out of the bottle" situation with regard to releasing images. Now that a segment of the public is accustomed to real-time photo releases, the "data hording" crowd that Jim talks about will really hear it from taxpayers -- at least in the case of imagery. Bet they aren't too happy with him these days.

Thanks for posting that link, EGD (may I call you "Egad!"...? rolleyes.gif ), and damn well said by Jim Bell: science needs to have free and open access to information in order to work efficiently, period. Professional jealousy as described is nothing more than a fear that somebody else is smarter or faster...bah! mad.gif

Of course, one exeception: If the primary workers find something really good, then of course they should have the right to keep the data confidential until they can publish...after all, they worked for it. I just don't think that blanket blackouts of data are ethically correct...plus, I WANNA SEE PRETTY PICS!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
ugordan
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Aug 27 2006, 04:53 PM) *
here is a colorized MI image of blue pebbles on red sand, taken on Sol 910:

ohmy.gif Wow, this is cool! How'd you do this? Is this real color information or "just" colorization?
Nirgal
Marco, Nico, ugordan
thanks for the nice words about my latest color image smile.gif

... sure hope this was not Oppy's last MI image to colorize, though huh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 27 2006, 09:23 PM) *
ohmy.gif Wow, this is cool! How'd you do this? Is this real color information or "just" colorization?

Basically it's a synthetic greyscale colorization, but based on a palette of colors derived from "real" multi-filter-pancam images of the same area ... in this case, however, I deliberately increased the color variance
to emphasize the nice contrast between the red sand and the blue berries (which would in reality be more
of a blue-grey than blue) ...
Bobby
Sol 922 Today

3 days to Epsilon starting on Sol 923 or 924

3 or 4 days at Epsilon for Pictures and if they find something interesting then another few more days

2 days then to Victoria with 1 very cautious day to approach the rim of Victoria
Don't want to slip slide away do we sad.gif

My guess is about Sol 933 at Victoria

Also where has Ustrax been??? Is he hiding in Victoria thinking it's an abyss (Ultreya) having a party without us? mad.gif

So Happy Trails to Oppy to come biggrin.gif
dot.dk
QUOTE (Bobby @ Aug 28 2006, 12:12 AM) *
Sol 922 Today

Probably have to delay that if they are gonna diagnose the IDD and possible redo the trench campaign we missed during the weekend. dry.gif
dvandorn
If the IDD *has* stalled again, we're probably just gonna sit here for 90-110 sols, running one tiny test of the motors per day (four days a week), while people who should know better squander Oppy's remaining useful lifetime being overly cautious... *sigh*...

-the other Doug
Sunspot
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 28 2006, 01:04 AM) *
If the IDD *has* stalled again, we're probably just gonna sit here for 90-110 sols, running one tiny test of the motors per day (four days a week), while people who should know better squander Oppy's remaining useful lifetime being overly cautious... *sigh*...

-the other Doug

If that were the case, i think they would drive to the rim of the crater and do any tests there while making a monster pancam mosaic of Victoria Crater.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Bobby @ Aug 27 2006, 05:12 PM) *
Sol 922 Today

3 or 4 days at Epsilon for Pictures and if they find something interesting then another few more days

2 days then to Victoria with 1 very cautious day to approach the rim of Victoria
Don't want to slip slide away do we sad.gif

My guess is about Sol 933 at Victoria

Also where has Ustrax been??? Is he hiding in Victoria thinking it's an abyss (Ultreya) having a party without us? mad.gif

So Happy Trails to Oppy to come biggrin.gif

See at the topic: Pool: Arrival at Victoria
The first ones bet on Sol 920 and the last with the sol 1,500.

Now we are Sol 922 for Oppy. Then the two first are gone of game.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=65146

Rodolfo
nprev
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Aug 27 2006, 06:19 PM) *
See at the topic: Pool: Arrival at Victoria
The first ones bet on Sol 920 and the last with the sol 1,500.

Now we are Sol 922 for Oppy. Then the two first are gone of game.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=65146

Rodolfo

Thanks for the reminder, Rodolfo...I'll be quite happy to lose this pool (sol 1237 was my guess!) tongue.gif
Bill Harris
I think they would drive to the rim of the crater and do any tests there while making a monster pancam mosaic of Victoria Crater.

That's for sure, Sunspot. Although IDD work is important, there is a lot to be learned from color Pancam sequences, and much, much more will be learned by moving along the traverse. The ad nauseam stay at Overgaard killed any thing more than a cursory look at the Halfpipe Formation. The Rover engineering team knows more, but it would seem that this terrain is smooth enough to travel with the IDD arm flapping in the breeze.

IMO, of course.

--Bill
Nirgal
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Aug 28 2006, 02:12 AM) *
If that were the case, i think they would drive to the rim of the crater and do any tests there while making a monster pancam mosaic of Victoria Crater.

Yes that would be great. But I'm afraid, if it is a serious problem with the IDD, then it's going to be rather like dvandorn wrote in reply #388 above wink.gif

... no, seriously: this time I think the IDD issue will be resolved within a couple of Sols ... and the
final run to Victoria continues soon ...

smile.gif
djellison
...being overly cautious...

Of course, arriving at Victoria dragging a broken IDD that was ripped off whilst driving with it deployed would be just wonderfull smile.gif

The sun is rising, the power situation is good, we never looked at tha annulus around Endurance with the IDD....there isn't THAT much of a rush to be honest. If we spend a week, two weeks here ( and we are all speculating far beyond what is healthy in that respect ) then we arrive at Victoria with a couple of weeks more improvement in Whrs smile.gif

Personally - I think as long as we get to the edge of Victoria with a pan taken and downlinked before solar conjunction, then everything is on target for a sensible Victoria strategy decision during conjunction.

2 or 3 days of IDD trouble and it's like 4 wheels just fell off. Relax people...relax rolleyes.gif

Doug
dilo
I'm with Doug/Sunspot, we cannot wait ONE HUNDRED SOLs knowing whe are only 200m from Victoria! Especially considering the imminent blackout due to conjunction...
My hope is that, if problem is similar to the one encountered near Erebus, they know best strategy and solve it within a week.
And I hope to hear Ustrax voice from the abyss when we arrive! wink.gif
djellison
QUOTE (dilo @ Aug 28 2006, 09:27 AM) *
we cannot wait ONE HUNDRED SOLs knowing whe are only 200m from Victoria!

We CAN...we just don't want to smile.gif

You guys are a bunch of panic merchants. We don't know what, if anything, is wrong - and we're already at the "THEY CAN'T STAY HERE FOR WEEKS" phase. Seriously seriously seriously guys.....stop the panic and criticism of things that havn't even happened yet.

Doug
jamescanvin
Doug's right - don't panic yet guys!

We were warned before that the dodgy sholder motor could stall on occasions with only one winding. I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often. More than likely the IDD will be recommanded sucessfully in the next sol or so and then we'll be off again only a few sols later than planned.

There is no evidence yet of anything more serious - be positive!

James
Nirgal
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 28 2006, 10:40 AM) *
Doug's right - don't panic yet guys!
There is no evidence yet of anything more serious - be positive!

James

Absolutely correct, no question about that !

My postiong above was never meant as panic-making, and I took dvandorn's original comment only from the humorous, ironic side: Of course neither of us seriously thinks we will spend 100 Sols here smile.gif ...

Isn't it sometimes a nice thing to ironically make light/fun of situations like this: rather the opposite of making panic but a means to take things easier smile.gif

But I understand the danger of misinterpretation of such posts and apologize for anyone who may have interpreted this as "panic making"

-> just edited my post to make the irony/humor more clear wink.gif

... please be more forgiving when in dout about the tone of such posts: in dubio pro reo !
it's so difficult to express humor/irony in alectronic form, yet alone in a foreign language wink.gif

wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif
dilo
Ok, no panic for the moment but... I really need to go quickly to WC! (I said VC, oops my mistake!) tongue.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (dilo @ Aug 28 2006, 09:27 AM) *
And I hope to hear Ustrax voice from the abyss when we arrive! wink.gif

I'm back, thanks for waiting! smile.gif
We can move on... wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.