Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perseverance Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 848 map update, in full HiRise RGB color for the first time. Perseverance moved only 14+ m, but by doing so it passed 19 km mark.
Diagonal line is EDL track from the landing day, so it is not impossible that debris were imaged, as discussed in this post.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 856 map update, including the new target name from Phil.
Phil Stooke
I did indeed draw attention to that name, but Paul has been keeping me up to date with names and he pointed this out:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/m2020-watso...7e2ea072272fcfd

This gives the name of the abrasion on the rock as Lake Haiyaha, and this link:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/m2020-zcam-...d4ceafc15de9f49

gives the name of the rock as Falcon Lake. That link was actually the source of the Ypsilon Lake name, and it has been changed at the source, so it was probably a mistake - Ypsilon Lake, if it exists, might be another feature nearby or a general name for this site but not this rock. The Analyst's Notebook should make it clear in a few months.

Phil
kymani76
Thanks Phil, I also found more target names on this site.

Click to view attachment
Corrected map for last couple of sols.
kymani76
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sol 870/flight 53 map update
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 872 map update with some new target names.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Flight 55 map update.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 886 map update
Floyd
I hope kymani76 or another cartographer can provide an update for Perseverance and Ingenuity as it has been a few weeks since the last update. Alternatively, is there a map produced by the rover team that anyone can point us to?
charborob
Route map here.
RAB
Hi,

here some quick rendered maps:
Area
Click to view attachment

Detail
Click to view attachment

Kind regards,
Armin
Floyd
Thanks charborob and RAB for your quick responses!!
tau
Route map between Belva crater and Neretva valley until sol 960.
Thick contour lines every 10 m, thin lines every 1 m.

Click to view attachment
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sorry but I was really busy with my (paying) job, which kept me away from Mars mapping.
To bring me up to speed with all the action of past 3 months, here is map update showing all the movements (in black).
kymani76
Click to view attachment

Sol 993 map update, Perseverance descending towards Neretva Valley channel.
There is still no update of 67th flight path, so only points are shown.
Two new names (Airey Hill and Barrabiddy) appear on the map. They were mentioned in penultimate mission report.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 994, Perseverance enters new quadrant.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 998 map update.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Another drive on sol 999.
climber
This means that Ginny is some 1200 m from Perseverance ?
Thank you for the nice map
kymani76
Merci beaucoup. Yes, that's right, but shortened to cca. 1104m now on sol 1000. You can always measure distances on the map, with grid spaced at 100m (starting at the landing point).
A short move marks Perseverance's 1000th sol on the surface Mars. Still waiting for Ingenuity's 68th flight, that was originally scheduled for Dec. 9th.

Click to view attachment
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1002 map update. Colored with MEx/HRSC data, for lack of HiRise color coverage of the current workspace.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1006 map update.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1007 map update, including paths of Ingenuity's flights 67, 68 & 69.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Flight 70 map.
Floyd
I've done some Googling and looking through this thread (a dozen or so pages) but can't seem to find a map of future path for Perseverance to move up and out of Jezero crater. If anyone knows of maps for the possible routes for the next couple of years, could they post or repost it/them.

Many thanks
scalbers
QUOTE (Floyd @ Dec 30 2023, 12:39 AM) *
If anyone knows of maps for the possible routes for the next couple of years, could they post or repost it/them.

This map looks a little bit ahead:

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/26993/poten...everance-rover/

Beyond this there may be been a posting of a document (was it from Phil) that had prospects farther in the mission outside Jezero.
kymani76
Here is long term plan from Gupta 2020, that was circulating short time after the landing.
Now sure how current it is, but I guess it still gives us general idea what to expect.
Click to view attachment
kymani76
Close up of the above showing planned crater rim traverse (with 1km grid)
Click to view attachment
Floyd
Thank you scalbers and kymani76. The trip should be exciting as the path ahead looks quite challenging.

PATHOUT RIMTRAVERSE (some terms to search if you want to get back to these posts)
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1019 map update.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1021 map update. Curious coincidence has arisen, we have a triple crossing of paths,
EDL flight track, rover traverse, heli ground track all converge near to the present location.
Also insulation (?) debris noted on sol 1018 are right on EDL track, so no surprise here.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Inspired by beautiful image of the Neretva Valley, that tau posted here, I made 3D render of the sol 1021 position.
If you look closely you can see planned traverse (in yellow), climbing the hillside on the left.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
All versions of out of crater routes in one map (some clearly out of date).
Floyd
Thank kymani76. It is great to see paths that have been proposed. Is it possible for you provide a key and which is the most recent or likely.
kymani76
Thank you for your interest. The routes are labeled. The newest one is the yellow route from image release PIA25244 already discussed above.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1041 map update, first move after nearly 3 weeks. No new info for heli's flights 71 & 72, but it should not be far from #70 position shown here.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1042 map update. Perseverance drives on.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Final flight map + sol 1043 update. Perseverance navigating a ridge.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1046 map update. Perseverance drove into Yellowstone quadrant. According to latest mission update it's headed towards Beehive Geyser area (position on map provisional).
Same report also mentions some new names for the targets.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1052 map update with slope gradient overlay.
fredk
Thanks as always for the maps. Do you use the same gradient colour scale on all your maps or does it vary? I know the information is there in the contours and distance scale, but is there any chance you could include a gradient scale?
kymani76
Sorry for the delay, I just didn't catch your post on time.
No problem, it is my pleasure making them. Allows me to follow the mission in detail.
I use the same gradient for both M20 and MSL, here it is, units are degrees:
Click to view attachment
Will post relevant scales with maps from now on.

Click to view attachment
Also, sol 1063 map update.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 1068 map update. Perseverance made a detour to explore "Bunsen Peak" rock target.
Per latest mission update Beehive Geyser area is 500m to the west of the present position, so
I made a correction to the map. Ingenuity's final landing site also received new name.
kymani76
Finally found some time to update Mars mission maps.
Here is update target map for sols 950-1018. I get target names from Analyst's Notebook site.
Click to view attachment
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Regular sol 1118 map update.

Rovers traverse color code:

black: traverse since last map update
white: traverse
red: PDS traverse

vikingmars
Dear All,
As you may have noticed yesterday, there was a major update on both Curiosity and Perseverance NASA websites which share now the same visual architecture.
==>> However and maybe I'm wrong, but the "Where is Curiosity ?" and "Where is Perseverance ?" online maps have disappeared! unsure.gif
Has anyone found them elsewhere ? blink.gif
Thank so much for your kind answers: those maps are really good and useful educational tools (and even for the Press).
Vikingmars
Glevesque
Effectively ! mad.gif

If access to its maps does not return, it will be a very big loss for rover tracking.
vikingmars
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Apr 19 2024, 03:11 AM) *

Thank you very much Explorer: I saw them coming back early morning and having them back is nice indeed!

==>> And many thanks also to the JPL contributors who feed on a daily basis these two great Mars rover sites, packed with useful info for the media smile.gif
Glevesque
Hi Phil and everyone!

I use NASA maps and those of several contributors here in this discussion for the overall tracking of Perseverance's route. But for more detail I use Phil's maps (much appreciated), and I cannot find Phil's map which covers the rover's journey between Sols 285 and 342. On the NASA map the rover would have crossed the 200 meter mark on the same Sol at Sol 341 (240.81 meters) and the 300 meter mark on Sol 351 with 314.13 meters

THANKS,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salut Phil et a tous !

J'utilise les cartes de la NASA et celles de plusieurs contributeurs ici dans cette discussion pour le suivit globale de la route de Perseverance. Mais pour plus de détail j'utilise les cartes de Phil (très apprécié), et je n'arrive pas à trouver la carte de Phil qui couvre le trajet du rover entre les Sols 285 et 342. Sur la carte de la NASA le rover aurait franchis le cap des 200 mètres sur un même Sol au Sol 341 (240.81 mètres) et le cap des 300 mètres au Sol 351 avec 314,13 mètres

Merci,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.