Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perseverance Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 137 update, color version.
Phil Stooke
I was not expecting a drive but we had one on sol 153, about 100 m south. This presumably continues the quick run around the area to characterize it before selecting final sample sites.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 155, another drive.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
Phil Stooke
Sol 157, a short drive to the southeast to put the rocks in the workspace.

Phil

Click to view attachment
kymani76

Sol 157 update. For Ingenuity I'm using JPL's track, although I've seen other solutions.
Phil Stooke
Map update to sol 168 - very rough as we don't have a full panorama or an updated map on the website yet.

Phil

Click to view attachment
vjkane
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 11 2021, 12:01 AM) *
Map update to sol 168 - very rough as we don't have a full panorama or an updated map on the website yet.

Phil

Click to view attachment

I had expected Percy's team to keep it in place while they worked on the sampling problem. Apparently not.
Bill Harris
Moving on, it's likely an unusual situation that they'll resolve by drilling and taking another core sample. There is probably nothing to be gained by sitting around and head-scratching. We'll have an interesting Core#1 to open in a few years.

--Bill
PaulH51
removed (wrong thread)
Phil Stooke
Sol 169, with a corrected path for 168. "We'll have an interesting Core#1 to open in a few years" - no, that one will never be returned, it would take the place of a core packed with science so we'll have to wait until the Jezero Museum opens its doors.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
sol 170 map update - moving fast towards Seitah South.

Phil

Click to view attachment
xflare
Hot tall are some of those dunes?
PaulH51
Seeing how Phil is away.
Here's a screenshot of the interactive map for sol 175 with a few annotations.
Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
Here is a large map, showing the both the location of Perseverance and Ingenuity. Hopefully, I will have now some time to improve those (by labels, and mapping aerial views), although more deadlines are coming up.

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
And here a very large map of the rover's journey, with surroundings. There will be jpg artefacts due to very high compression:

Click to view attachment

(Click on the top or bottom margins for the high resolution version)
Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (xflare @ Aug 13 2021, 03:59 AM) *
Hot tall are some of those dunes?

Based on the topographic contours on the map, some intermediate sized ones are 0.5m to 1m tall.
Phil Stooke
I have updated my map to include drives to sol 177 and the corrected Ingenuity flight path. We just passed the 2000 m point on the drive and I will add a marker next time.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
My take on sol177. I added cumulative travel distance for the rover, and per leg flight distances.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A new map tile for sol 178, and this map covers the recent flights by Ingenuity as well. The last flight route is estimated using an analysis here:

https://twitter.com/65dbNoise/status/1429093549929283585

except that I think the landing point is wrong in that map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And here are two maps giving the names of Supercam targets up to sol 90 from the new PDS release.

Phil

Click to view attachment------Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 180 - moving a short distance to reach the target at Citadelle.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
A new map along "Artuby" ridge, with sol180 updates, and better mapped path for flight 12 using the navigation images. Unfortunately, the first leg is poorly constrained sofar.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
An earlier map updated with the new name given in the rover update - as suggested by Paul. I'm always on the lookout for names to add to the map. This map also shows the name Artuby referring to the ridge, not a specific point on it.

Phil

Click to view attachment
serpens
Mod,
Rimfax discussion not really appropriate for the route map thread. Could it be moved to another thread or even one dedicated to Rimfax?

ADMIN: Done. Moved to new RIMFAX thread.
Phil Stooke
Sol 193, Ingenuity made its 13th flight out across Seitah and back. I don't know the path yet but the early images show where it landed, back in Airfield H.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I have been plotting the helicopter color images on the map - the position of the foreground in each suggests that some paths need to be modified. We often get the plan, not the actual path.

Stereo pairs are combined into a single outline in this version.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Same for flight 9 on the previous map section.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 7 2021, 12:58 PM) *
I have been plotting the helicopter color images on the map - the position of the foreground in each suggests that some paths need to be modified.

So the three-sided figures are the FOV of the camera. It is interesting that the camera view angle is not always normal to the helicopter flight path. Since the camera is fixed to the fuselage this means that the helicopter is able to fly with the with the fuselage at any angle to the flight path. Not surprising, since this is within the capability of the cyclic pitch rotor control. But it also means that the navigation software is able to pick and follow features moving at an angle to the camera axis.
Very interesting capabilities of this helicopter system.

--Bill
Phil Stooke
These are the large color camera images, not the small and much more numerous navigation images.

Phil
Bill Harris
So you said. But the Color and Nav cameras are fixed and it follows that both cameras are seeing non-axial motion. It is interesting that Ingenuity does not have to invariably fly nose-forward.

On my demo co-axial I fly nose-forward because that is how I am programmed. But I can shift the camera view in x- and y- if I need to.

--Bill
djellison
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Sep 9 2021, 07:21 AM) *
But the Color and Nav cameras are fixed and it follows that both cameras are seeing non-axial motion.

It's the Nav cam that used for visual odometry / feature tracking etc during flight - not the color RTE camera.

I'm not sure why non 'forward' motion is of note? The Nav cam is pointed straight down. ALL motion is 'at an angle to the camera axis.'

It basically works like a giant optical mouse.

I can't see how or why it would care which direction it's travelling.
Phil Stooke
Map update to sol 199. The name Artuby is confirmed as applying to the whole ridge. I still don't have a path for the last Ingenuity flight.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
'Phil Stooke' ... I still don't have a path for the last Ingenuity flight...

I don't know where they get their data, but RICE CRC have this for flight 13 LINK

Click to view attachment
djellison
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Sep 11 2021, 03:54 PM) *
I don't know where they get their data,

I believe they recreate a flight path using the Navcam images from the chopper.
Phil Stooke
Thanks - I was just in the process of creating my own version with the DTE images:

Click to view attachment

The path Paul posted fits this very closely.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Sol 200 - a very long drive, about 160 or 170 m, a record for Perseverance and longer than any drive by Curiosity.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 13 2021, 01:47 AM) *
Sol 200 - a very long drive, about 160 or 170 m, a record for perseverance and longer than any drive by Curiosity.

Geojson reports the drive as: 169.854551 meters wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif rolleyes.gif
Phil Stooke
Sol 201, a shorter drive down the slope.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Out into the sandy wilds of South Seitah. Or if you prefer, Seitah South.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 203, approaching the rocky hill.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 204. This might be the next drill site - if it passes its medical.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Well, it didn't pass its medical by the look of it. Sol 210, another drive. The single front Hazcam image we have is enough to give a location but the path I show is just a guess until I know more.

Phil

Click to view attachment

serpens
Your dedication to mapping is much appreciated Phil.
Bill Harris
Is Perseverance parked in her Conjunction parking space since Sol 210?
Phil Stooke
Yes - no more moves for a while.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Here is the first map of my sequence with the new names i have been able to track down, thanks to help from Paul and Mike.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Zoom into the landing site with new names. I don't know the story behind the 'Daren Lee Memorial' but Lee seems to have been a former JPL robotics engineer. The name comes from here:

https://sketchfab.com/cdt59#

(Thanks to Paul for the tip)

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here is an update of the current map showing names I have gathered recently.

Phil

Phil Stooke
New drive, new map. This is for sol 237 with a drive towards the next sampling area.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.