Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perseverance Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Phil Stooke
I have plotted (rather roughly) the outlines of the oblique color press release view and the first frame of the video on the last map, and it's clear that my flight 6 path needs to be moved north, which will remove the need for the last little bend in the path. I will post a new version shortly.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Very shortly! Here it is.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
I noticed that on the heli nav images at the vertical landing portion of flight 5, it is possible to draw close to radial lines through ground features, after contrast enhancement, which allow triangulation of the shadow and therefore of the landing location. As the projection from the fisheye lens appears to be centered on the image, the radial lines should appear straight on a map. I could then use my earlier map to get a handle on the position of Ingenuity after flight 5:

Click to view attachment

There is still some wiggle room but the location should be better than my earlier estimate (yellow). I will update the map.
Phil Stooke
Sol 99 - we just had a short drive to another rock.

Phil

Click to view attachment
MarkL
QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ May 31 2021, 02:36 AM) *
There is still some wiggle room but the location should be better than my earlier estimate (yellow). I will update the map.

Great forensic work!
Phil Stooke
Yes, good work. I'm moving my flight 5 destination to comply with it. Here's an updated version of the map as it is at present. I'm still trying to decide if the Rice U. map Andreas linked to should be used for flight 6.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 102, with flight 6 from the new JPL map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to include the sol 103 drive and the location of the next helicopter landing site, which I am assuming will be called Field D.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
The geojson for the helicopter flight path:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mmgis-maps/M20/Layers...light_path.json

and helicopter waypoints:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mmgis-maps/M20/Layers..._waypoints.json
Andreas Plesch
Here is my take for sol 103 using now the geojson for the helicopter path:

Click to view attachment

The width of the flight path is 1.2m which is the wing span of the blades and should be comparable to the size of the shadow in the nav images.

The geojson of the flight path does not have intermediate points, only the end points of the straight segments.

The circle for the destination of flight 7 is 20m in diameter.

And here is a close-up of the potential area for the next rover drive:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Very nice map! Here is my version updated to sol 104.

Click to view attachment

Phil
Andreas Plesch
Here another take for sol 104 using the geojson:

Click to view attachment

And a close up looking forward:

Click to view attachment

The rover path plots a bit closer to the small but distinct crater the rover just passed than shown on the online map. The Hazcam images and Phil's path are very consistent to what is shown here. Not sure why the online map is a bit different.
Andreas Plesch
A 28m drive on sol 105, penciled in here, based on Hazcam images:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And my map updated - the new position and route just taken from the JPL map at this stage - but correcting for the offset in the online map.

That offset has persisted since the first map on the website. Either the rover locations and path are slightly off or the base map is slightly off relative to absolute coordinates - I don't know which. But there is a clear misregistration between the path and the base map. It's only about 1.5 or 2 m so not a big concern.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 7 2021, 01:26 AM) *
Either the rover locations and path are slightly off or the base map is slightly off relative to absolute coordinates - I don't know which. But there is a clear misregistration between the path and the base map. It's only about 1.5 or 2 m so not a big concern.

The thing is both the original HiRISE map data (geotiff) and the path geojson seem to actually register correctly, with respect to each other, and most likely in terms of latitude and longitude. This leaves perhaps the web mapping software which is leaflet. Leaflet probably assumes coordinates are for the planet Earth which should still be ok for plotting. Perhaps somehow elevation is considered for the path and not the map. Or perhaps tiling the map introduced an offset. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.
Andreas Plesch
Here json based rover path to sol 105:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
My map update to sol 107 with the Ingenuity flight and a short drive.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A shortish drive, 20 m or a bit more, on sol 108. I only have Hazcams to go on so far but it looks like we are getting close to the sol 91 helicopter landing site.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
A large sol 107 map with added overlays of helicopter RTE images carefully registered to the HiRISE map. Perhaps the rover will venture into those areas.

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
A sol 109 map focusing on the crater and route to Ingenuity.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
My map for sol 109.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
The map for sol 110 shows the simulated tracks of the last drive and to the South the area of the path to a potential first excursion into the Seitah.

Click to view attachment

Since the base map is the same as is used on the project page, there is not much added value here.
Phil Stooke
Sol 110, a quick map update.

Phil

Click to view attachment
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 110 map update
Andreas Plesch
Since there is now a JPL provided sol107 heli location, here an update to the sol110 map, looking ahead to the south, centered on the border of the Seitah region.

The JPL location is the open circle next to the yellow marker. The simulated rover track is to scale.

Click to view attachment

The potential excursion into the Seitah region was shown just north of the large crater at the southern margin of the map. It may be a handful drives away.
Phil Stooke
Sol 113, continuing southwards.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
My sol 113 map:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 116, a drive which brings us close to the edge of Seitah, probably to enter a safe path to the south.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
Here my json based map for sol 116, with an estimate for the destination of flight 8. on or after Monday, 6/21.

Click to view attachment

The center of the 20m radius circle is about 160m from the current location of Ingenuity. It covers a smooth looking area which seems to make for a nice air field. There is another, smaller, smooth area about 50m to the west which may be another candidate.
Phil Stooke
Sol 120 - no rover movement but a nice Ingenuity flight to Airfield E. The location is from the descent image sequence.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
Here my sol 121 map with Ingenuities new location:

Click to view attachment

I have added 1m (dotted) and 5m (solid) contours since the border to the Seitah has more topographic expression. The contours also show how horizontal layers may be exposed at the bottom of the larger crater just south of Ingenuity.

Andreas Plesch
The sol 122 map after the geojson update, with a larger view of the Seitah:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 122 map update. Looks like this could lead in to an interesting examination of the bright rocks in Seitah.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Moving south again, no stop at Seitah.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
sol 123 update with geojson path and black contours on brighter imagery:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 124, a short drive.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
My sol 124 update:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 126, a drive to the south, maybe within view of Ingenuity for a close-up image.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 127, continuing south. There doesn't seem much point going further south here because of rough terrain ahead, so we will probably turn east and drive through Airfield E, and then south again.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
Thanks, very helpful. I am away from my setup so no updates from my side for a while. Using the great Marslife.org, one can plan a path to the eastern depression where Ingenuity is located, but I think also to the west towards and perhaps down for a careful dip into the Seitah.
Phil Stooke
A short drive north on sol 128.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And to finish this page of maps, a convoluted drive on sol 129. Remember my maps are made to fit pages in a book, so I will not be extending this one, I will be moving to a new one.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
The long drive on sol 130 goes around that old crater. I mapped the path from the available images and left it dashed where I can't see it. I can fill that in from the JPL map later.

EDIT: we will also have passed the 1000 m mark on this drive.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Only a partial panorama so far but I think I have a good location for sol 131. I added the next airfield location at the bottom of the map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
That took a bit of figuring out! This map shows the 9th flight of Ingenuity and the new airfield location. I'm assuming a straight flight path.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 134, about 90 m drive to the south, making pretty good progress through rough terrain.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 135 map - the dashed part of the line gets filled in when I have the JPL map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A shorter drive on sol 136, 34 m south.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 137, continuing south around Seitah - and not too far from its southern end (in this region - it extends further south if you go further west).

Phil

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
My take on the current Perseverance and Ingenuity maps:

Click to view attachment

I may try and register the heli color camera views as maps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.