Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perseverance Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Cherurbino
QUOTE (tau @ Mar 4 2022, 06:02 PM) *
The longest flight until now was 632 m

Covering 632 m in Flight #9 was possible due to the fact that the helicopter was 'sliding down' from - 2569 at departure to -2579 at arrival.
On contrary, flight #21 M->N shall be climbing out of the -2570 'pit' up to... say, -2565 (=+5m), so I'm not sure that 'ordinary' ~400 m for 170 sec may be covered.
Next limitation is 1000 m for communications. Helicopter may wait for a long time at 'Field N', until Perseverance reappears at the northern side of Seitah region in a direct LOS view at a distance <1000 m.
-Cherurbino
Phil Stooke
A couple more of my maps with extra names taken out of the PDS:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Phil
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 375/Flight 21 map update.
tau
If I'm not completely wrong when comparing Navcam and HiRISE images, the rover made a 200 m drive on sol 384.
The estimated coordinates are approximately 77.4620°E 18.4571°N
Green line: planned rover traverse

Click to view attachment
kymani76
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Perseverance drive to sol 381 and latest update to sol 385.

kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 384, flight 22 map.
kymani76
Sols 386 & 388 map updates.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Some synthetic vistas of the La Orotova crater that we unfortunately missed to see from up close.

kymani76
Sol 389 update for Perseverance and sol 388 / flight 23 for Ingenuity. We might see skycrane on the next flight.
MarkL
QUOTE (kymani76 @ Mar 27 2022, 09:29 AM) *
Sol 389 update for Perseverance and sol 388 / flight 23 for Ingenuity. We might see skycrane on the next flight.

These are such great maps thank you. Nice to see the contour lines.
kymani76
Thank you Mark.
Here is a new version of flight 23 map, updated with latest the JPL track.
Ingenuity didn't fly in a straight line, but headed north first and then made sharp turn to the west. It means they are flying very close to the planned track.
Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
I figured that.they would avoid flying over that hill.and stay in the flat area.

--Bill
MarkL
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 30 2022, 08:24 PM) *
I figured that.they would avoid flying over that hill.and stay in the flat area.

--Bill

I think they. indicated a while back they were planning a dog leg around the hill Bill.

Also, they are commanding Ingenuity over distances exceeding 1 km without much difficulty it seems. I guess its just a matter of bitrate. Is there a practical maximum limit for the antennas where the bitrate drops below say a couple hundred baud?

Mark
Ant103
I never did that in the past, but a map of what I think is the last known location of the rover, using my last panorama :

Keltos
Erin Gibbons, team member posted this for sol 405
Cherurbino
Hi, everybody! Yesterday the new Delta Front Campaign plan was published. May I ask anybody to draw the arrows for “Cape Nukshak” and “Hawksbill Gap” mentioned there? Thank you.
--Cherurbino
Keltos
hi

Got the location from @dejasu and set them on the Uberlin Hirise map

Hope that helps

Fred

Map with contour lines : https://maps.planet.fu-berlin.de/jezero/
PaulH51
QUOTE (Cherurbino @ Apr 20 2022, 01:54 PM) *
Hi, everybody! Yesterday the new Delta Front Campaign plan was published. May I ask anybody to draw the arrows for “Cape Nukshak” and “Hawksbill Gap” mentioned there? Thank you.
--Cherurbino

The initial sections of the two paths are shown in this document from a recent MEPAG meeting, refer to slide 9 of the presentation. The route names are in very small text: https://mepag.jpl.nasa.gov/meeting/2022-01/...2_Ingenuity.pdf
kymani76
I'm sorry but I had some earthly work that kept me away from Mars mapping, but finally found some time to update my maps.
I noted that they are tinkering a lot with a geojson (like renumbering sols), which made my work a bit more complex (to track all the changes).
I also reworked the distance grid as well to make it more precise (note its rectangular appearance, where latitude axis is shorter than longitude's)
So here it is, update to sol 426 for Perseverance and flight 28 for Ingenuity.

Click to view attachment
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Elevation map.
MarkL
QUOTE (kymani76 @ May 3 2022, 08:56 AM) *
I'm sorry but I had some earthly work that kept me away from Mars mapping, but finally found some time to update my maps.
I noted that they are tinkering a lot with a geojson (like renumbering sols), which made my work a bit more complex (to track all the changes).
I also reworked the distance grid as well to make it more precise (note its rectangular appearance, where latitude axis is shorter than longitude's)
So here it is, update to sol 426 for Perseverance and flight 28 for Ingenuity.

Click to view attachment

This is a hobby for most of us I think so the time you commit to making these great images away from your other paying work is very much appreciated.
kymani76
QUOTE (MarkL @ May 4 2022, 11:16 PM) *
This is a hobby for most of us I think so the time you commit to making these great images away from your other paying work is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much, positive feedback is what keeps me going.

Click to view attachment
An update to sol 439. I miss new target names, they are difficult to come by.
Phil Stooke
While busy with other things I am still collecting names - but there have been very few lately. I don't know the exact locations yet for Rocky Top (probably off this map to the north) or Devils Tanyard.

(I will post from time to time...)

Phil

Click to view attachment
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Sol 449 map update, Perserverance straddling carefully along the edge. Thanks Phil for the names update.
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Map version with severity of slopes indicated.
vjkane
QUOTE (kymani76 @ May 28 2022, 01:34 AM) *
Click to view attachment
Map version with severity of slopes indicated.

That map is a work of art. Thank you for creating it.
kymani76
QUOTE (vjkane @ May 29 2022, 08:29 PM) *
That map is a work of art. Thank you for creating it.

Thank you, that is a really nice compliment. I also made a similar map for Curiosity, see the MSL map section.

Map incorporating all the new topography names reported by Phil earlier today.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
closeup of current location
MarkL
QUOTE (kymani76 @ May 30 2022, 08:35 PM) *
Thank you, that is a really nice compliment. I also made a similar map for Curiosity, see the MSL map section.

Map incorporating all the new topography names reported by Phil earlier today.

Beautiful maps thank you. I hesitate to offer any suggestions, but would it be possible on future versions to use a finer traverse line and smaller triangles for the waypoints? Some areas (like the current location) are congested with waypoints.
Thanks again. Really enjoy poring over these!
Mark
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Thank you Mark. I constantly tweak the maps in one way or another in order to improve them. I gave your suggestion a try and made lines thinner and symbols a bit smaller, but at times it is still difficult to totally de-clutter the map.
I hope you like the new result.
I also managed to find a few target names in Perseverance's updates. The exact sols when these targets were focused on is not indicated, but there is suggestion of existence of additional names.

MarkL
QUOTE (kymani76 @ Jun 7 2022, 09:51 AM) *
Thank you Mark. I constantly tweak the maps in one way or another in order to improve them. I gave your suggestion a try and made lines thinner and symbols a bit smaller, but at times it is still difficult to totally de-clutter the map.
I hope you like the new result.
I also managed to find a few target names in Perseverance's updates. The exact sols when these targets were focused on is not indicated, but there is suggestion of existence of additional names.

Lovely. Thanks again for these wonderful immersive maps.
Cherurbino
The new location map from @65dBnoise at fosstodon.org

This message was updated after flight 29 -- Cherurbino
kymani76
Click to view attachment
Regular update of Perseverance's location, sol 464

Click to view attachment
Map for flight 29, with terrain visible to Ingenuity highlighted in orange.
Phil Stooke
This is what I have so far for names. I can't guarantee all of them are in the right location (e.g. Hughes River Gap).

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Trying to keep up with names. Paul has helped by pointing some things out to me, much appreciated. I am now pulling names out of the Analysts notebook and will post more maps soon, but there were almost no names given along the rapid traverse around the top of Seitah.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Two more maps with names in this area.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This map goes back earlier with a few names from the drive north after the Seitah sampling.

A particularly significant point is the location labelled '350', the end of drive location on sol 350. That drive was not documented with the usual end of drive panorama and the location shows up as 351 on the mission map. The real 351 location is further along the path, and the map misleadingly suggests the '350' point is a waypoint along that drive. The text of the Analyst's notebook makes it clear there was a sol 350 drive and the raw Navcam images for sol 350 show stages along that drive. The rear Hazcams for the start of sol 351 show the same location before the 351 drive. So this 'stealth drive' has not been shown correctly on any map up to now.

Phil

Click to view attachment
djellison
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 26 2022, 10:59 AM) *
A particularly significant point is the location labelled '350', the end of drive location on sol 350. That drive was not documented with the usual end of drive panorama and the location shows up as 351 on the mission map.

I'm guessing that was a multi sol drive without ground in the loop.
Phil Stooke
Yes, it was.
Phil Stooke
Putting together some details from earlier in the mission. Here is a map of the Issole region showing the rover positions at the various stops arounmd the outcrop.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Gladstoner
Moving back south:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Quick update to sol 543. I'm making maps to record names, and will post them from time to time. No, I don't really have time for this!

Next, the previous map of this area with names...

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Some recent maps I am using to document names and helicopter flights.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
john_s
Hi Phil-

Looks like a typo on the latest (and wonderful as always) Perseverance map- the "541-542" label is used in two locations.

John
Phil Stooke
Oops - yes, should be 541 and 542 at the two points. I don't know where that came from. Will fix shortly.

Phil
Phil Stooke
This is the corrected map. Good job I have an army of proof-readers out there! Corrections are always welcome.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Screen captures of the interactive map: Shows the rover's position after the long drive during sol 555 (219.9 m / 721.47 ft) including an interesting diversion before crossing another TAR, it also shows the location of 'Enchanted Lake' about 20 meters northeast of the rover's sol 555 location. Also shown the helicopters position after flight 31 on sol 550 (97.7 m / 321 ft)

The calculated distance between the two craft is currently 857.7 m / 2814 ft. Communications between the craft remains good with 187 (flight 31) images received from the helicopter after the drive.
tau
Here is a map of the eastern part of future potential traverse paths (white lines) for Perseverance.
Thick contour lines every 10 meters, thin lines every meter. Numbers are sols on the past traverse.
The future potential paths are digitized from the map shown at the NASA press conference on 2022-09-15 .

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
"Screen captures of the interactive map: Shows the rover's position after the long drive during sol 555 (219.9 m / 721.47 ft) including..." (Paul)

Thanks Paul. Ingenuity has to be the Epic engineering story on Mars. I am astounded that she keeps going since she is a much lighter and simpler mechanism than the Rovers. I would have expected the batteries to have expired by now.

--Bill
Bill Harris
"Here is a map of the eastern part of future potential traverse paths (white lines) for Perseverance..." (Tau)

That is a tremendous map format, and especially that it shows potential future paths.

--Bill
Phil Stooke
Yes, it's a very nice map.

Here is a quick update to the present time showing the latest helicopter flight on sol 561 and a few names which Paul has been helping me track down.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.