Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Horizons: Near Encounter Phase
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO > New Horizons
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
kap
A frozen CO2 sea perhaps? How would it have been liquid in the recent past (since it's not very cratered)?

-kap
alan
Ice wedge polygons in the latest image?

http://permafrosttunnel.crrel.usace.army.m...ned_ground.html
gpurcell
Oooh, that looks like a good terrestrial analogy!
nprev
CO2 could not be in a liquid phase at Pluto surface pressure. It can't be in a liquid phase at terrestrial surface pressure. N2 a better candidate.
hendric
All I got is: ohmy.gif
xflare
And the very dark spots inbetween the polygons..............
Paolo
and again not a single crater in sight
gpurcell
500T of N2 per hour escaping.

That's insane for a body this small. How can it possibly have an atmosphere?
Drkskywxlt
My off-the-cuff thought for the smooth plains are that they're formed by ice sublimation.
alphasam
Hills in troughs, where have I seen that before...?
Drkskywxlt
Wind streaks!
gpurcell
Evidence of Aeolian processes--wind streaks!
matlac
Totally insane data! It's been 3 days since the flyby and everyday is pure discovery. As Alan said: "They kept the best for the end".
hendric
I love the fact that for his press conferences, Alan *always* saves the best for last. Each presentation is omg....OMG....O M G.... O! M! G!
hendric
I know they aren't speculating yet, but those dark spots look awfully alot like vents!
gpurcell
I never dreamed Pluto/Charon would be this interesting; these findings should really put impetus behind understanding the KBOs generally.
hendric
I was really hoping for more discussion on the Charon mountain, looks like they aren't going to speculate here.
nprev
These early-looks are as good as V2 Triton imagery, much better to follow= W O W. blink.gif
dtolman
These are only the "middle resolution" pix? Seeing the highest resolution images is going to be really amazing!
matlac
QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 17 2015, 12:39 PM) *
These early-looks are as good as V2 Triton imagery, much better to follow= W O W. blink.gif

I'm just curious. How Pluto's flyby rank among other also exciting discoveries from past missions?
nprev
No good way to answer that question. Each new mission provides its own suite of surprises. That's the beauty of it all. wink.gif
hendric
Better than the spokes at Saturn definitely, maybe better than the volcanoes on Io. Sorry Jason!
Mongo
The current "close-up" images are from this mosaic:

July 14 06:10:15 EDT
New Horizons is taking 15 images of Pluto with LORRI from 83646.234 km away at est. resolution 0.41 km/pix.

But these mosaics are coming:

July 14 07:26:28 EDT
New Horizons is taking 130 images of Pluto with LORRI from 23859.780 km away at est. resolution 0.12 km/pix.

July 14 07:58:30 EDT
New Horizons is taking 60 images of Pluto with LORRI from 15386.759 km away at est. resolution 0.076 km/pix.

With resolutions 3.3 and 5.4 times greater than what we have seen so far.
xflare
QUOTE (matlac @ Jul 17 2015, 06:42 PM) *
I'm just curious. How Pluto's flyby rank among other also exciting discoveries from past missions?

Pluto is awesome... but nothing will ever trump this image tongue.gif tongue.gif
Habukaz
With those polygons, it's looking like Mars again.
hendric
I believe you mean *this* image, but I think these new shots trump even my pics!

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science...amp;image_id=58
alex_k
Nix in my very rough processing.

Ken2
QUOTE (matlac @ Jul 17 2015, 10:42 AM) *

I was at JPL for the neptune/triton flyby with new exciting realtime pictures being beamed down constantly - it was absolutely amazing and Triton's surprises were jaw dropping, That said - Pluto is great too but the year wait is hard. I wish NASA would spring for scan platforms again!
nprev
Emily just asked a question (ably answered by Alan) about image release policy/frequency. Looks like a weekly schedule albeit August will be predominantly non-imaging science data coming down.

She's got your backs, imagewizards. wink.gif
machi
Nix, 10× enlarged.
stevesliva
QUOTE (Habukaz @ Jul 17 2015, 12:49 PM) *
With those polygons, it's looking like Mars again.

They did fail to point out that the scale's very different. Miles rather than meters.
xflare
The regions to the west of the heart look incrediby complex.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/th...oxide_pluto.jpg

Are there better global pictures than the one we already have in the download queue?
FOV
The geysers on Triton were only discovered by scientists, after scrutinizing images, weeks or months after the Voyager flyby. So the scan platform was great, but I would say I wish Voyager had New Horizons cameras (much much better resolution).
dvandorn
I was working during the presser and y'all are making all these wonderful comments, but no links to any images. Are they not available yet except as illustrations during the presser? In other words, how can I see what y'all are drooling over?

-the other Doug
Fran Ontanaya
Some of those dark boundaries look like miles wide bubbly foam. laugh.gif

Edit: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-n...f-pluto-s-heart
matlac
QUOTE (xflare @ Jul 17 2015, 12:47 PM) *
Pluto is awesome... but nothing will ever trump this image tongue.gif tongue.gif

Hard to beat, that's a fact!

Interesting to hear NH team frankly talking about ongoing activity right now.

Also, the escaping atmosphere and possible erosion (loss of mass) by sublimation does sound as if Pluto was a gigantic comet (similar bulk components, ellongated orbit, etc.).
lars_J
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 17 2015, 02:01 PM) *
I was working during the presser and y'all are making all these wonderful comments, but no links to any images. Are they not available yet except as illustrations the presser? In other words, how can I see what y'all are drooling over?

-the other Doug

Here is one image.
hendric
Upthread are lots of footprint images showing where we can expect future images to come from. Don't forget, these are the super-lossy compressed JPEGs - much worse than "low" quality on a camera. Once we get the uncompressed data, much of the blockiness will crisper.
ugordan
QUOTE (Ken2 @ Jul 17 2015, 07:52 PM) *
Pluto is great too but the year wait is hard. I wish NASA would spring for scan platforms again!

A scan platform wouldn't help NH much. Instrument data rates near closest approach were vastly higher than the average 2 kbps downlink speed so recorders would have been necessary anyway and the playback would still be drawn out for weeks.
matlac
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 17 2015, 01:01 PM) *
I was working during the presser and y'all are making all these wonderful comments, but no links to any images. Are they not available yet except as illustrations during the presser? In other words, how can I see what y'all are drooling over?

-the other Doug

Ah! Brace yourself for quite extremely exciting new terrain! For some reasons the image looked better on video that what is updated.

It was a good idea to take a day off today!

@Fran: I had the same impression. Hills looks like some material trying to find its way out from the throughs.
FOV
Are comets as rocky as Pluto is?
ZLD
Colorized version of the plains. Its difficult to tell exactly where this is placed on the global view so coloring is likely off.

[removed image]

I'll see if I can do a better clean up job later this evening.

Full resolution image here.

----------
Edit
----------
I think I was off by a little bit the first time. Here's a quick second try.

Click to view attachment

----------
Edit 2
----------
This is further extrapolated color data based on the image above.
Click to view attachment
JRehling
It's remarkable that of all the worlds in the solar system Pluto's size or larger, the last two that we got to see up-close were Titan and Pluto. That's finishing the fireworks show with a grand finale!
Habukaz
Is the full resolution of the mosaic up? I all find is the video. I want to properly see what the dark terrain looks like.

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jul 17 2015, 07:55 PM) *
They did fail to point out that the scale's very different. Miles rather than meters.

Well, gravity is scaled down.
Gladstoner
QUOTE (Fran Ontanaya @ Jul 17 2015, 01:02 PM) *
Some of those dark boundaries look like miles wide bubbly foam. laugh.gif

Edit: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-n...f-pluto-s-heart

The surface struck me more as (resembling) boiling water than polygonal cracks. It will be interesting to find out exactly how the 'bubbly foam' became concentrated in the troughs.

Also, there is the subtle shading in the middle of many of the cells.
belleraphon1
Sputnik Planum - Is this in the area of carbon monoxide concentration?
Superstring
QUOTE (JRehling @ Jul 17 2015, 07:08 PM) *
It's remarkable that of all the worlds in the solar system Pluto's size or larger, the last two that we got to see up-close were Titan and Pluto. That's finishing the fireworks show with a grand finale!

Really rubbing it in to poor Eris, eh? tongue.gif
JRehling
These bubbly plains in Tombaugh Regio remind me of – the Sun. That is, the granules seen upwelling at an extremely rapid rate. Obviously, there's no similarity in terms of, well, a lot of things, but I wonder if the dynamics are similar, but in super slow motion on Pluto.

Video of the Sun's granules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Scoj4HqCQ
B Bernatchez
I was surprised to hear that it was going to take so long to restart PU238 production.
alk3997
QUOTE (FOV @ Jul 17 2015, 12:58 PM) *
The geysers on Triton were only discovered by scientists, after scrutinizing images, weeks or months after the Voyager flyby. So the scan platform was great, but I would say I wish Voyager had New Horizons cameras (much much better resolution).

Actually I remember the press conference. Luckily the internet backed me up - August 28, 1989. Larry Soderblom during the conference described it as a "crazy idea" but said one of the coldest objects in the solar system may have active geysers. The flyby would have been August 25, 1989. So, three days after flyby geysers were the leading candidate.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.