Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Horizons: Near Encounter Phase
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO > New Horizons
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
machi
Big congratulations to the entire New Horizons team!
It's almost unbelievable what they did with such limited budget.
Marvin
I hope they get the funding they need for an extended mission. The return in science and technology, as well as inspiring nations and people is worth it IMO.

By the way, data is now being downloaded from NH to Canberra 43 at 2.11 kb/sec.

Link: Deep Space Network
Bill Harris
New Albedo/Color-info map of Pluto out in a polar projection: PIA19706

--Bill
alex_k
It was interesting to compare Phil's high contrast version of 13 July image (reduced to 60%) with my newly reprocessed version from 7 July (enlarged to 600%). There's some match. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
M24
I'm looking at the table of planned LORRI observations posted by machi in the previous thread, and it said that there was going to be an attempt to photograph Nix at 0.1 km/pix followed by an attempt to photograph Charon at 0.24 km/pix at around 11:15-11:20 UTC. Eyes On The Solar System also shows these images. Does anyone know anything about whether they were taken?
pitcapuozzo
Did they just post the LORRI Failsafe image? It says July 13th 20 UT

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounte...sure=100%20msec
pioneer
The "failsafe" LORRI image of Charon has been released at the raw image site
Phil Stooke
And this is that Charon image, enlarged and stretched. But it was Jpegged to death.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Herobrine
I averaged the color of the 6 different "color" versions posted here, rotated it 139.05 degrees counterclockwise to align with the LORRI image, and used it to colorize the (simple level-adjusted) LORRI image using two different methods.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
In a sense, this was the average color interpretation posted on the forum, applied to the published LORRI image.
Habukaz
Re. Charon raw image: looks like there could be one of those supposed chasms to the right - here's hoping. Would be lame if Charon has dramatic chasms and we could see none of them in detail.
ZLD
Strange, whats going on with the luminance? Light scatter in the telescope tube?
Saturns Moon Titan
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 15 2015, 04:29 PM) *
And this is that Charon image, enlarged and stretched. But it was Jpegged to death.

Phil

Click to view attachment

The closer we get to Charon the weirder the dark pole seems. Is it possible it's the equivalent of the lunar maria on the moon?
Ian R
My rough and ready processing of the Charon raw frame from the 13th. Colorized with the MVIC false color release:

Click to view attachment
alex_k
Charon, 13th:
Click to view attachment
hendric
QUOTE (Aldebaran @ Jul 14 2015, 08:10 PM) *
Loved that question from the Pluto kid. "What is the objective of the extended mission?" smile.gif Much more intelligent than some questions from the general press.

Emily's twitter seemed to imply a little snark around that question, I hope she can elaborate with us.

I always chuckle at the questions given during these press conferences (except for Emily's!) - I always wonder if they even bothered to read all the available documentation that answers the vast majority of them. Maybe a UMSF rep needs to give them a briefing folder of our FAQs before each press conference. smile.gif
Julius
QUOTE (hendric @ Jul 15 2015, 04:57 PM) *
Emily's twitter seemed to imply a little snark around that question, I hope she can elaborate with us.

I always chuckle at the questions given during these press conferences (except for Emily's!) - I always wonder if they even bothered to read all the available documentation that answers the vast majority of them. Maybe a UMSF rep needs to give them a briefing folder of our FAQs before each press conference. smile.gif

Nasa media briefing 3pm ET The end to all Pluto myths and speculation s on UMSF!? smile.gif
alk3997
QUOTE (hendric @ Jul 15 2015, 09:57 AM) *

To be fair to the media, just because the reporter knows the answer already doesn't mean there isn't a reason to ask the question. When writing an article sometimes a quote is needed and the only way to get that is to ask the question. Of course for TV, having those responses is a large part of the 30 - 60 second piece.

But, you are right, there are members of the media (or at least those who got credentials) who don't bother to read the material or even worse, ask the exact same question that was already asked because that is what was written down on their notepads.

I agree with Emily's assessment. The kid's question was sharp and intelligent. A statement of fact is that it was more intelligent than some of the questions the general media has asked at press conferences.

Andy
Marvin
Someone was asking about a very bright spot on Pluto yesterday. I speculated it could be a hot pixel in the camera.

The image posted by pitcapuozzo earlier also shows a hot pixel:

Click to view attachment

So, be aware that this "too bright to be true" spot may be just that.

Here's the image pitcapuozzo posted earlier:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounte...0x632_sci_1.jpg
Habukaz
Everyone here has rug burn from repeated jaw drops. The pictures I've seen are amazing. You guys are in for a treat. #PlutoFlyby

https://twitter.com/asrivkin/status/621352166360543233

Mission scientists are telling us the images they have got back are spectacular - a few hours to go until we see them #PlutoFlyby

https://twitter.com/rebeccamorelle/status/621326003621765120

Hmm...
JRehling
QUOTE (Julius @ Jul 15 2015, 09:09 AM) *
Nasa media briefing 3pm ET The end to all Pluto myths and speculation s on UMSF!? smile.gif

Oh, definitely, because we had Mars all figured out after Mariner 7.
fredk
Following up on yesterday's colour discussion, here's the hue channel of P_LORRI_FULLFRAME_COLOR.png, with an extreme stretch:
Click to view attachment
First of all, this really is an extreme stretch - the original hue pixel values vary by only 2 or 3 across most of the image. But I was originally puzzled by the features that look kind of like they're bordered by lines of "longitude" at the bottom and far left side of the disc. Now I suspect they may be the result of applying the colour from an image obtained earlier, when we had a bit of a different viewpoint, by projecting the earlier colour information onto this LORRI view.
MarkG

<QUOTE>
Everyone here has rug burn from repeated jaw drops. The pictures I've seen are amazing. You guys are in for a treat. #PlutoFlyby
<\QUOTE>

I am scanning the net for rug burn treatment ideas in anticipation....

Consider me among the list of those "thoroughly teased"....
ZLD
Charon, LORRI / Ralph, July 13

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Best guess at actual coloring
TheAnt
Thank you fredk for that inverse image you posted earlier, only then I could find all those craters I expected.
They were there all the time but eluded the eye, and needed your work to stand out. =)
neo56
I updated my "One Plutonian day" animation with the last LORRI pictures colorized with MVIC pictures. Resolution is dramatically increasing between frames!

Click to view attachment
Sacha Martinetti-Lévy
Congratulations, All of you, so great team, thanks for all, Alan, Alice, everybody. Thanks to be so smart, kind, and intelligent.
In these times, it is a fabulous example, and you will be, in future, mythic historic explorators of this legendary first age of space, when starships will go visit other stars.

Apologize for my poor English, but my French heart beats at rhythms of your music of science. Really, thanks again. I'm again a child of sixty. It's a mervellous gift. Thank you. Thank you !
Julius
QUOTE (JRehling @ Jul 15 2015, 04:41 PM) *
Oh, definitely, because we had Mars all figured out after Mariner 7.

we both know that there will be plenty of discussion now and in the future and that is what makes such missions of exploration and discovery exciting.
Herobrine
QUOTE (neo56 @ Jul 15 2015, 12:00 PM) *
I updated my "One Plutonian day" animation with the last LORRI pictures colorized with MVIC pictures. Resolution is dramatically increasing between frames!

I think that's 7 to 13, isn't it?
machi
QUOTE (M24 @ Jul 15 2015, 05:01 PM) *
I'm looking at the table of planned LORRI observations posted by machi in the previous thread, and it said that there was going to be an attempt to photograph Nix at 0.1 km/pix followed by an attempt to photograph Charon at 0.24 km/pix at around 11:15-11:20 UTC. Eyes On The Solar System also shows these images. Does anyone know anything about whether they were taken?

I suppose that no one knows now. If it's not an error of NASA's Eyes then those images are part of the P_MPAN_1 observations of Pluto (70! images from the LORRI).
We must wait at least until September when majority of images will be downloaded as version with lossy compression (full quality images from November).

JTN
QUOTE (hendric @ Jul 15 2015, 04:57 PM) *

She's elaborated a bit in her Reddit AMA.

Part of the justification for the New Horizons mission was that it would be a "tour" of the Kuiper belt, visiting Pluto system plus at least one other object -- that's one reason it was selected for the New Frontiers program. But since the KBO mission is an extended mission, the NH team can't take it for granted that they will be funded to do that, because they have to compete for extended mission funding with all other planetary missions, and if they take things for granted, NASA HQ can punish their hubris. So they have to be careful not to talk about an extended mission as though it's a sure thing, even though it's part of the whole reason the mission was selected. It's an absurd situation, but typical for government bureaucracy. NH people are constantly trying to trick HQ people into stating that an extended mission will definitely happen, because it's just dumb to say it's not.
Req
New tweet from the team.

I want to be smiling like they are, this press conference can't come soon enough!
Click to view attachment
Marvin
From NH Twitter:

"What are we smiling at? Trust us, DON'T MISS our 3pm ET briefing on @NASA TV! :-) "

Click to view attachment

Darn it, they got the screen facing the wrong way mad.gif

NH Twitter

ninja'd!
climber
I.m sure, "our" magicians can get what's on the screen from the reflexion on John Spencer glasses. laugh.gif
JRehling
QUOTE (Saturns Moon Titan @ Jul 15 2015, 08:38 AM) *
The closer we get to Charon the weirder the dark pole seems. Is it possible it's the equivalent of the lunar maria on the moon?

The placement at the pole is curious. I recall that Sagan and his collaborators raised some interesting analyses of Titan and a possible global hydrocarbon ocean there (before we had a good look through the haze). They argued that a global ocean was not possible because tides would have circularized Titan's orbit, which is significantly elliptical. However, disconnected seas were possible, because that would reduce tidal sloshing.

As volcanopele mentioned earlier:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=223134

Now, I don't think Charon is a candidate for a sea of standing liquid, but the location of the dark spot at the pole makes me wonder if tides in liquid in a subsurface reservoir might have moved the pole to that location. And then some sort of outflow (and, presumably, freezing) might have led to a mare where we see it now.

On another note, I wonder if the placement of Pluto's Heart, near the anti-Charon point, is another case of asymmetry determining the final state of the system, just as the Moon's filled basins (and thinner crust) are preferentially located towards Earth. According to one analysis I read, it just as easily could have settled 180° away, with the basins facing away from Earth. (And how unlucky that would have been for poets!)
neo56
QUOTE (Herobrine @ Jul 15 2015, 06:07 PM) *
I think that's 7 to 13, isn't it?

That's right, thanks! I corrected it.
Phil Stooke
"The placement at the pole is curious"

Not if it's related to insolation rather than geology.

Phil

Bill Harris
I believe we'll find that much of the Pluto-Charon system's geomorphology is insolation-driven.

--Bill
xflare
I think the first batch of higher res images will cover part of the bright heart feature??

edit This tweet appeared a few seconds after my post https://twitter.com/SpaceflightNow/status/621386677630672896
Sherbert
Just got in from work and caught up with the latest results from the image magicians. WOW! I am not saying this is how it is, but several things struck me as being pretty obvious.

Charon hit Pluto to create the Carbon Monoxide ice cream cone or eight toed "Big Foot", Charon's footprint. Pluto has an icy surface of mainly Nitrogen, why the huge concentration of Carbon Monoxide in this one region? Charon however has lots of Carbon Monoxide and Water Ice. The red polar region of Charon indicates Thollins and hence Nitrogen. This is the only place on Charon where Nitrogen is concentrated. This is Nitrogen Ice scraped from the surface of Pluto. The pole at Charon is a huge depression with a central raised region covered in dark red. One side of the surrounding basin wall is missing, opposite the basin wall has a ring of mountains on top of it just like the toes on the "Big Foot".

This does not have to have been an ancient event, in solar system terms it may have occurred quite recently, the large debris from the collision is still around. Charon has huge cracks in its icy surface and a vast volcano at one of the intersections, with two others in the same area. The huge chasm we see, could be where one of the other satellites was cracked off the icy shell of Charon as it was cracked open by the collision.

Many have noted how akin Pluto and Triton are, except Pluto has the "Big Foot". Pluto once had dark equatorial band just like Triton all the way around, a deep depression formed as surface chemistry built an insulation layer on it. As Alex's coloured images graphically showed this chasm is filled in at the heal of the foot. The "splash" to the west has created a chain of ice mountains and cliffs. To to North and the toes, a hollow basin is surrounded by a massive ridge of crumpled up material pushed up and out of the basin.

Once Charon's surface graze had ended debris is scattered in a line all the way over the North Pole and down onto the far side where we see the frost filled remains of numerous craters down the central belt of the hemisphere facing Charon now. To the east of the "Big Foot" the splash is shallower and spead out and corresponds to the blue area in the false colour image. This a different composition from any other area visible in the image. This is probably Water Ice from Charon, heated by the energy and pressure of the collision to land, possibly as liquid on the Nitrogen Ice surface. The video of Nitrogen Frezing in a vacuum posted here, shows the shapes the nitrogen forms as it evaporates, water would flow into and melt depressions, like water on Greenlands Icecap, creating the landscape of hills and curvy valleys we see.

I would post more but I am fascinated to see what the team say. It looks so obvious to me. Excuse the grammar & spelling, I haven't had time to proof read.
FOV
The NH team is teasing people so bad right now on the NASA New Horizons twitter feed:)
gpurcell
2 minutes
dvandorn
Charon has been active!

-the other Doug
Bjorn Jonsson
Charon has been active!!?
kap
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jul 15 2015, 12:07 PM) *
Charon has been active!!?

The image they just showed is amazing, tons of resurfacing must have occured.

-kap
B Bernatchez
Anyone else having audio problems? I am just hearing high speed clicks. sad.gif
lyford
Click to view attachmentYep!
drz1111
Wow...the grad student who thought they got the short end of the stick with the Charon assignment just got handed a nice thesis . . .
machi
Hydra, 10× magnified.
kap
QUOTE (machi @ Jul 15 2015, 12:18 PM) *
Hydra, 10× magnified.

Since it's mostly water ice, does that mean it could be a captured comet from even further out in the solar system?

-kap
gpurcell
No craters on high res picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.