Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Horizons: Near Encounter Phase
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO > New Horizons
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
Gavin Eadie
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 14 2015, 12:56 AM) *
Turning towards Earth now. That's gotta be the 'insurance' data coming in now, right?

I thought that was last night .. four long "fail safe" comm sessions. Plus, these are brief earth pointing periods, enough for some engineering t/m perhaps?
paraisosdelsistemasolar
Again, the New Horizons image database has been fixed. Now you can sort correctly the images by distance. The address is http://nchazarra.duckdns.org/db/
There are around 20 fields duplicated. I will be fixing that later today. Now the script checks if there is new images every hour.
climber
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 14 2015, 04:42 AM) *
Ted, nice story - but I think you mean 56 years since Luna 3!

Phil

Same thing happened to me at Apollo 11 spashdown. At one stage dad told me to go to bed...never forget...
MahFL
I got up at 4 am to enjoy the encounter. It's a once in a life time chance.
lollipop
QUOTE (climber @ Jul 14 2015, 08:27 AM) *
Currently 7 DSN antenas pointing in NH direction

Broadcasting the signal for the radio occultation experiment
climber
QUOTE (Req @ Jul 14 2015, 08:50 AM) *
This page is nice for keeping up with what's going on, you can just refresh it if you don't want to scroll around to find where you are:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Mission/The-Flyby.php

Edit:
And of course anybody who is keeping up with this thread should have this open if they can:

http://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/eyes-on-pluto.html

Screen sharing between Eyes/TheFlyby/UNMSF and tweeter on the Ipad... I'm ready for the ride...
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
Fantastic images guys,
this is my precise 6 km/pixel collage (5.95 exactly) For compare Pluto-Charon and other bodies of the Solar System.
I'm enthusiastic.
Req
I think Charlie Bolden is live on NASA TV as of a couple minutes ago, not sure.

http://www.ustream.tv/NASAHDTV
OWW
Charles Bolden: "Pluto is rich in reds". Maybe he has already seen a certain color picture?
neo56
My take on LORRI pictures of 11 July, 22h23 UTC:

MahFL
QUOTE (OWW @ Jul 14 2015, 10:21 AM) *
Charles Bolden: "Pluto is rich in reds". Maybe he has already seen a certain color picture?

It's actually been known for decades Pluto was reddish. Also a color picture has already been released.
climber
1 hour to CA.
JRehling
If you were on New Horizons right now, Pluto would appear 7 times the size of a Full Moon, and you'd be frozen and dead in airless space. Thank you, New Horizons, for making the trip for us!
Req
Youtube link for NASA TV incase the ustream link I posted a few posts up cuts out. I've found it's wise to have 2 or 3 open(and mute all but 1), at least for rocket launches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX9I1KyNa8M

And then the actual NASA TV link, for a third source - I've found this is usually the first one to cut out:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/
climber
Crossing the orbit of Earth's geostationary satellites...well, you know what I mean.
anticitizen2
Teaser of the main release
redits: NASA/JHUAPL/SWRI
Click to view attachment
pitcapuozzo
This is it! July 13th @ 4 pm EDT

Click to view attachment

^^ ninja'd.
Habukaz
There be craters.

But ehh, isn't that roughly as big as Pluto should appear in that image (EDIT: yes it is)? How is it a teaser?

Link, by the way.
climber
Nice
JRehling
It looks like the heart is a bleeding heart!
Burmese
Well, NASA posted that on Instagram as a 'sneak peek' ahead of posting it on their official site so Teaser is a suitable title, I imagine.
nprev
NASA TV program placard now up: "New Horizons Mission Celebration Arrival At Pluto" (their italics).

How many years we've waited to see that. smile.gif
4throck
Looks like a filled depression...
Mercure
QUOTE (pitcapuozzo @ Jul 14 2015, 01:10 PM) *
This is it! July 13th @ 4 pm EDT

Click to view attachment

^^ ninja'd.

That's the Kodak moment right there, the image that will be on all the front pages tomorrow, and what a fantastic shot it is, great angle with the white area surrounded by all sorts of darker hues and shapes. Congratulations to NASA, the NH team, the US and all of us here on planet Earth: we finally had a look at all of our neighbourhood!
nprev
Charon about to be eclipsed by Pluto from NH's viewpoint.
Aldebaran
QUOTE (Mercure @ Jul 14 2015, 12:31 PM) *
That's the Kodak moment right there, the image that will be on all the front pages tomorrow, and what a fantastic shot it is, great angle with the white area surrounded by all sorts of darker hues and shapes. Congratulations to NASA, the NH team, the US and all of us here on planet Earth: we finally had a look at all of our neighbourhood!

It will be good to see the first high resolution MVIC picture.
Bjorn Jonsson
The bright area looks remarkably smooth at this resolution but it apparently has one crater close to its center. And one thing is obvious now: Pluto is more cratered than Triton - but the craters are nevertheless relatively few.
kap
Pluto Wide

It looks like the high res imagery will reach the feature that I've marked here as "Chasm?" but will we also get the crater looking feature in high res or is it outside our range?

-kap
Bjorn Jonsson
Moment of closest approach: NOW!
marsbug
Closest approach, looking at Charon!
nprev
Bill Nye in the front row cheering! biggrin.gif
nprev
End of NASA TV C/A coverage. Next up: Press briefing w/image release.
Julius
Welcome to Pluto!
kap
Looks like the Charon-shine images are being taken right now.

-kap

Edit: looks like they timed it so Pluto is about the width of Ralph's field of view for this pass.
craigmcg
Anyone else wish that we could have heard what the speakers were saying instead of that NASA media guy telling how exciting it was?
Webscientist
Great view!
At first glance, the bright heart reminds me of a frozen sea because it seems uniform and relatively smooth.
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
Momentanean modified compare, 6 Km/pixels
Daniele
FOV
I like the location of that prominent "bullesye" crater that looks to be near the transition of darkest to a less dark region.

ps I love the "heart" thing, you can't buy that kind of pr, Alan must be over the moon, er I mean Pluto!
Explorer1
Swear jar full again...
Habukaz
It looks a bit like there is Triton-esque terrain to the left. Did we me 'miss out' on the parts of Pluto that look the most like Triton?
Mr Valiant
QUOTE (craigmcg @ Jul 14 2015, 08:03 PM) *
Anyone else wish that we could have heard what the speakers were saying instead of that NASA media guy telling how exciting it was?

Agreed, some of the most sublime dialogue is via the Flight Director and team, be it UMSF, Apollo or Shuttle.
Still, fascinating stuff, so much to take in at one gulp. To hark back to when I was a child (1960`s), no one could have predicted what
we are seeing right now.
Go New Horizons - Go. smile.gif
nprev
Presser on now, reveal of the 'preview' image!
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
do not see many similarities with Triton, it seems different from any others body of the solar system..
the " white heart " resemble an antique lake basin dissolved
xflare
QUOTE (Habukaz @ Jul 14 2015, 01:13 PM) *
It looks a bit like there is Triton-esque terrain to the left. Did we me 'miss out' on the parts of Pluto that look the most like Triton?

I think the only thing that will ever look like Triton IS Triton lol
Drkskywxlt
EOTSS says "Target Earth", so I imagine that's the radio science experiment looking at the atmosphere?
kap
Ok, tell me I'm crazy but does it look like the large chasm right above/left of the heart opens into a huge alluvial fan? I've marked it on the image here:

Click to view attachment

-kap
Antdoghalo
History in the making, and we are greeted with a heart! laugh.gif
nprev
Hope that they'll talk a bit about the Pluto & Charon radio occultation experiments. Those should be received in just a few hours, well in advance of the image playbacks.

kap, I'm not seeing your alluvial fan. Q&A starting re image details.
JRehling
The next step is the stars.
nprev
Emily just asked about color imagery and if any atmospheric phenomena have been captured.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.