Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
djellison
No, Tisdale 2 is what we've been looking at for the past week or so.
Phil Stooke
That's not the mistake! The stray 'n' is the mistake.

Phil

atomoid
Thanks for posting that update link. before we head northeast for iron magnesium smectite clays, sorry if im OT but the current 'solar array dust factor' metric surprised me:

"As of Sol 2702 (Aug. 31, 2011), solar array energy production was 352 watt-hours with an atmospheric opacity (Tau) of 1.07 and a solar array dust factor of 0.540."

So a value of '1' would mean complete occlusion? I'll take the glass as half full but hopefully we should get better wind patterns near the ridge topography..

marsophile
QUOTE (atomoid @ Sep 2 2011, 11:44 AM) *
So a value of '1' would mean complete occlusion?

No. A value of 1 means completely clear; a value of 0 would mean complete occlusion. The higher the value of the "dust factor," the better. On the other hand, lower values of the tau are better.
walfy
Another type of gif animation of Tisdale 2:

Click to view attachment

The version with highest image quality was too big to upload here, so there are rendering artifacts in this one.

YOu can make them at start3d.com. The website shrinks down the images too much. It would be nice to render these in full-res. If anyone knows of software that can do this at home, please let us know! I'm hoping a simple Photoshop script or action can do it.

Where my recent free time went (more such images from near Odyssey Crater): http://www.start3d.com/en/2454477057/0001

Emily Lakdawalla had a blog posting on supremely superb Planetary Society blog a few months ago with a link to this site with some images of her own she made with second man who walked the moon. It didn't occur to me at the time to try out some Mars photos on the site, until recently. Most images develop freaky distortions, but if you prepare them right you can reduce or eliminate them.
tanjent
Does anyone know of a replay site for Thursday's MER press conference?
The "Joomla" site at http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/ have usually posted this kind of material very quickly, but I guess not this time.
MoreInput
Thx walfy, this gives a new 3d impression of this strange stuff.

djellison
QUOTE (tanjent @ Sep 3 2011, 03:38 AM) *
Does anyone know of a replay site for Thursday's MER press conference?

It was audio only
vmcgregor
Through Sept. 8 you can listen to the news conference audio by calling:
Toll Free: 888-568-0523 Int'l Toll : 402-998-1496
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 1 2011, 09:01 PM) *
Not to worry, Matt. You don't look like idiots to us.
Click to view attachment biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (walfy @ Sep 3 2011, 12:02 AM) *
Another type of gif animation of Tisdale 2:

Click to view attachment

Cool. Very cool. Shall we call it a "super GIF"?

-m
neo56
Pancam image of Tisdale 2 acquired on sol 2703.

Stu
I know the colours may not be 100% accurate ( laugh.gif ) and others will render this view more accurately, but I have to say, I think this is my favourite colourisation so far, just for sheer "sense of place" value..

Click to view attachment
jasedm
Stu, that's grand - very nice!
Oersted
QUOTE (vmcgregor @ Sep 3 2011, 05:46 PM) *
Through Sept. 8 you can listen to the news conference audio by calling:
Toll Free: 888-568-0523 Int'l Toll : 402-998-1496

It would be really nice to be able to listen to an online audio file, so if anybody knows where to find one...

stevesliva
QUOTE (Oersted @ Sep 5 2011, 12:40 PM) *
It would be really nice to be able to listen to an online audio file, so if anybody knows where to find one...

Could probably call with google voice and save the recording.
neo56
Color picture of "Stoughton", sol 2699.
walfy
Tisdale 1 and 2 super gif:

Click to view attachment
Stu
Revisiting the view of Odyssey Crater soon after landfall...

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Walfy - I really like that slowly moving gif - the fast ones are a bit irritating to watch for very long.

Phil
jamescanvin
Here is my version of the Odyssey Crater mosaic from way back on sol 2683 that has just come down.

Jam Butty
So long Tisdale...
and thanks for all the rocks
http://www.start3d.com/en/6390999076/0001/2775065320274462
navcam sol 2704
atomoid
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 6 2011, 05:47 AM) *
Walfy - I really like that slowly moving gif - the fast ones are a bit irritating to watch for very long.

nice indeed, where did the extra (six or so total?) frames come from? by definition there are only 2 (left/right) to work with, unless the MER team has begun tailoring their imaging sequences for flickergifs..
Tesheiner
AFAIK, they are interpolated from a single L/R pair. Google for "Piku-piku".
Oersted
QUOTE (Jam Butty @ Sep 6 2011, 08:58 PM) *
So long Tisdale...
and thanks for all the rocks
http://www.start3d.com/en/6390999076/0001/2775065320274462
navcam sol 2704

The hippopotamus in the foreground seems to be breathing heavily!
monty python
QUOTE (marsophile @ Sep 6 2011, 10:54 AM) *
I'm thinking that without the mini-tes, it might be difficult to distinguish them. Now the loss of the MTES starts to hurt.

I've been wondering just how much the pancam filters could make up for the mini tes loss.

In the Journal Of Geophysical Research in 2003 in the paper "Mars Exploration Rover Athena Panoramic Camera (Pancam) Investigation" it says that the pancam multispectral imaging can identify iron bearing phases such as ferric sulfates, ferric carbonates or iron bearing clays. The researchers seem to be really focussed on iron compounds.

In an other paper on mini tes, I read they had exellent descernability of minerals within the silcate and carbonate groups.

I just wonder how much senitivity the pancam has for finding non ferric carbonates.
Stu
Did I mention how much I love this place..?

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif
NickF
QUOTE (monty python @ Sep 7 2011, 02:27 AM) *
I just wonder how much senitivity the pancam has for finding non ferric carbonates.

I don't have access to that paper at the moment, but I assume the pancam is using shortpass filers to act as a crude imaging spectrometer (or reflectometer) in this instance. Distinguishing non-ferric carbonates might be difficult (zinc from aluminium, say) simply because these aren't transition metal compounds with nice colours in visible- or far red light.
Stu
3D view of that previous scene...

Click to view attachment

Larger version on my blog, later (finishing pizza comes first, sorry...)
jamescanvin
Stoughton Rock Garden = awesome!

James
neo56
Very beautiful pictures James and Stu, these rocks are really awesome, and so different that what Oppy has seen yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.