Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Bobby
WOW is the best word to Describe what I'm seeing and good job everyone.

I have a few Questions?

1. I would like to know where the official Rim of Endevour Starts and when did we cross that point? Are there any overhead
shots showing the rim as a circular pattern? There probably is an image somewhere in UMSF and I missed it.

2. With the current degrading of certain science tools on Oppy. Does it take roughly 2 weeks to examine any rock now?

Thanks
Bobby
Eutectic
QUOTE (Bobby @ Aug 11 2011, 09:46 PM) *
1. (snip) Are there any overhead shots showing the rim as a circular pattern?

NASA posts a good context image here:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pr.../20110608a.html

QUOTE (Bobby @ Aug 11 2011, 09:46 PM) *
2. With the current degrading of certain science tools on Oppy. Does it take roughly 2 weeks to examine any rock now?

The curium-244 used in the APXS has a half-life of 18.1 years, so integration times for it should not yet have doubled, everything else being equal. The Mossbauer, on the other hand, uses cobalt-57, which has a half life of 271.8 days. Since the date of launch eight years ago, that's 10.75 half-lives, reducing the source intensity by more than 1,722 times if my arithmetic is right, which I hope it's not. A measurement that took six hours might now take more than a terrestrial year, so they may be running it just long enough to get the bare minimum of a result above the background.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (john_s @ Aug 12 2011, 02:03 AM) *
Is it possible this fissure formed when Opportunity ran over the adjacent piece of rock and displaced it? We've seen similar things before.

Also, as Gibraltar was (I think) a pre-Cape York target, shouldn't it be in the "Post Conjunction..." thread? I understand why that thread was closed to encourage people to move to the new thread, but now that goal has been accomplished, shouldn't it be re-opened for posting of continued discussion of data from the long trek?

John

Completely right, John. Moved some posts and re-opened the thread.
Cape York related posts, here.
Gibraltar or earlier things, on the Post Conjunction thread, please.
Tesheiner
Today's drive moved the rover about 15m towards the SE to a point somewhere on the S or SW corner of Odyssey. I will update the map once the pictures are available.
walfy
A little more of the crater's floor in view tonight, from the navcam.

Click to view attachment
Juramike
Those rocks look really enticing ('specially that bright one on the right)...
charborob
Navcam panorama from Oppy's current position:
Click to view attachment
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Bobby @ Aug 11 2011, 10:46 PM) *
I would like to know where the official Rim of Endevour Starts and when did we cross that point?
Cape York is part of the Endeavour's exposed rim. Opportunity is now sitting on Cape York so Opportunity is now sitting on Endeavour's rim.
Astro0
Two views of 'big rock' on Odyssey's rim - animation.
Click to view attachment

NB: removed background to concentrate on the rock.
Pertinax
QUOTE (Bobby @ Aug 11 2011, 10:46 PM) *
I would like to know where the official Rim of Endevour Starts and when did we cross that point? Are there any overhead
shots showing the rim as a circular pattern? There probably is an image somewhere in UMSF and I missed it.

The search tool (and Google) is your friend, and as a matter of respect and good forum etiquette they should be used thoroughly before asking a question - particularly if you suspect the answer is already here. wink.gif

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...mp;#entry174999

There is no 'official' start to the rim per se, but from the link above I think you will be able to answer the question to your satisfaction.

-- Pertinax
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Pertinax @ Aug 12 2011, 08:12 AM) *
...There is no 'official' start to the rim per se, but from the link above I think you will be able to answer the question to your satisfaction.

I can't think of any more official start to the rim than the rim itself! Cape York is clearly part of the rim. On the crater side of Cape York you are within the rim of Endeavour, on the plains side of Cape York you are outside the rim of Endeavour. That the plains may be higher in elevation than Cape York has nothing to do with it. This is just my opinion, but as opinions go I think its on pretty solid ground.
micvoo
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Aug 12 2011, 02:45 PM) *
Two views of 'big rock' on Odyssey's rim - animation. NB: removed background to concentrate on the rock.

Fascinating view of 'big rock'! From this angle the rock doesn't look to sit in a position the rover could navigate to, but I suppose there are plenty of other rocks to explore. I am so thrilled with the views we are seeing now and the stunning anaglyphs. Where around its current position would Oppy go next?
climber
The other face of the Big Rock look accessible on the HiRise portion of the route map.
We'll see soon enough since we have no way to know what priority 1 target will be.
mhoward
2683 Navcams:

cIclops
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 10 2011, 07:32 PM) *
I really should be getting to the airport laugh.gif , but here it goes:

I can't really be sure from this distance, but isn't that Bob Zubrin?
Stu
QUOTE (cIclops @ Aug 12 2011, 06:26 PM) *
I can't really be sure from this distance, but isn't that Bob Zubrin?

Hmmm. Looks a bit too cheerful... wink.gif

I really hope Oppy tootles around the other side of Odyssey and takes a closer look at this bright rock...

Click to view attachment
Stu
Thumbnailcolourovision version of Odyssey...

Click to view attachment

Can't wait for the full size versions...
kenny
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 12 2011, 06:59 PM) *
I really hope Oppy tootles around the other side of Odyssey and takes a closer look at this bright rock...

I'm sure she will... and there's another less accessible white one in the crater....
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (kenny @ Aug 12 2011, 10:42 AM) *
I'm sure she will... and there's another less accessible white one in the crater....

We should exploring that ejecta field all next week and choosing a target to IDD, pending tactical decisions.

On that note, the drive on 2683 seemed to go shorter than I remember the RPs sequencing. I remember that we should have been perched about 5 meters from the southern rim of Odyssey. Clearly, we're not. I wonder why...
brellis
As fun as vertical stretch is, it's nice to see tall things in the frame without that technique! smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
Well hello Cyclops, keeping an eye on Odyssey, are you?
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Matt Lenda @ Aug 12 2011, 10:09 PM) *
On that note, the drive on 2683 seemed to go shorter than I remember the RPs sequencing. I remember that we should have been perched about 5 meters from the southern rim of Odyssey. Clearly, we're not. I wonder why...

For whatever reason, the drive has "faulted". The post-drive hazcams (fwd, rear) correspond to these sequences.

02683::p1254::02::2::0::0::2::0::4::front_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
02683::p1354::01::2::0::0::2::0::4::rear_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
brellis
In Ant's panorama from Post #2 in this thread, there is a second eye over there. Has that one been seen before?
ElkGroveDan
Navcam pan - not enough images for color yet
Floyd
Brellis: Yes, you will have to go back to the earlier thread, but the second crater coming into sight was a big deal as it was lower on the far wall--meaning that we were starting to see better into the crater.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (brellis @ Aug 12 2011, 03:48 PM) *
In Ant's panorama from Post #2 in this thread, there is a second eye over there. Has that one been seen before?

You mean this crater, which was immediately immortalized in Fredk's "what's this" post?
(First sighting of Cape York.)

What's this?
Click to view attachment
brellis
Yes, 2centsworth. I had a feeling we'd seen that divot before.
stevelu
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Aug 12 2011, 04:45 AM) *
Two views of 'big rock' on Odyssey's rim - animation.
Click to view attachment

NB: removed background to concentrate on the rock.

Guess it must be an illusion but there is something odd about how smallish bright-topped boulder - just to the right (our right) of the big one, & in front of a taller, completely dark-looking rock - changes with the shift in perspective.

Everything else just angles a bit, and the rock right in front of it scarcely changes at all, but the one I'm referring to suddenly appears much wider & in contact with big boulder. blink.gif

Is it just a thin, somewhat wall-like rock, seen edge-on in the first pic?

monty python
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 12 2011, 03:44 PM) *
For whatever reason, the drive has "faulted". The post-drive hazcams (fwd, rear) correspond to these sequences.

02683::p1254::02::2::0::0::2::0::4::front_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
02683::p1354::01::2::0::0::2::0::4::rear_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp

Hopefully the fault was due to some benign thing like tilt or time out.

I've got to admit I haven't looked at a hazcam for a while and boy do they look different now with all those thin shards in the soil!
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (monty python @ Aug 12 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Hopefully the fault was due to some benign thing like tilt or time out.

Yeah, turns out it was benign. Sounds like the team wasn't worried about it, and they went along with planning today as such.

In any case, Oppy's healthy and hungry for more.

-m
HughFromAlice
It's been exciting looking forward....... so just a quick look over our shoulder,as it were, courtesy of hazcams on Sol 2683 (Thurs 11th Aug)

Click to view attachment
Oersted
Back on Titan smile.gif
Sunspot
Odyysey
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Aug 13 2011, 04:45 PM) *
Odyysey
He's referring to the color scheme.
(Titan on right.)
Click to view attachment
ugordan
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Aug 13 2011, 11:19 PM) *
(Titan on right.)

That's as realistic a representation of Titan's surface color as the left image is of Mars...
brellis
oh, to see some rover tread marks on Titan! smile.gif
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (Oersted @ Aug 14 2011, 05:15 AM) *
Back on Titan smile.gif

Back at Cornell smile.gif

Point taken! So I went to check Mars's 'true colours' at what I thought would be one of the best sources
http://pancam.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_ins...true_color.html

Click to view attachment

Cornell Jpegs: Sol1597B_P2552_1_True_RAD_thumb Hill and sky 2 and Sol2302B_P2575_1_True_RAD.
Always worthwhile getting feedback. Even though it was a quick post colourizing a single Jpeg, I can see where I can improve.
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Aug 14 2011, 06:49 AM) *
color scheme (Titan on right.)

Despite the range on the Cornell site this was just about as close to 'true' as I could get. Fair comparison, but don't blame me for the Titan colour scheme!!! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Cornell Jpeg: Sol1882B_P2572_1_True_RAD Small Rocks on Rockbed
stevelu
This seems to be the only full pancam image that's come down from the latest batch. I love it.

So, is this lumpy terrain on Cape York NWish in relation to Odyssey...?

Click to view attachment
djellison
I thought we were done with the colorization debate.

If you were in any doubt.....we ARE done with the colorization debate.

Don't make the admin's jobs even harder - please.
Astro0
QUOTE (stevelu @ Aug 14 2011, 03:26 PM) *
So, is this lumpy terrain on Cape York NWish in relation to Odyssey...?

No that's Stu's 'Approach Crater' or officially Mariner crater IIRC.
It's a view from a couple of weeks ago now.
Seems so long ago doesn't it?! wink.gif

Remember you can easily check the date of an image by using: http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/html/filenames_ltst.htm

Drop the file name into the link image code box and hit the decode button. It will give you Sol number, date, time etc.
A handy tool for all UMSF'ers that it's useful remind people of every now and then.
Tesheiner
And ... Zap! We were teletransported to Gusev! blink.gif
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...JYP0676L0M1.JPG

Now seriously, today's drive was just a short 10m bump perhaps finishing the move that faulted on sol 2683.
Stu
Actually, when I saw that big, flat-topped slab of rock I was reminded more of the "Rock Garden" Sojourner explored in Ares Valles...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
kenny
Yes, memories of the Rock Garden where there was a similar-looking flat rock with a pale upper surface, called Flat Top.
Seeing two flat white rocks here at Odyssey crater makes me wonder if a block has been split along the line of one of those white veins we saw earlier poking out the ground.
fredk
Hmmm... Yeah, sounds like those bright, flat tops would make great IDD targets...
stewjack
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 14 2011, 02:56 AM) *
... teletransported to Gusev!

I would describe it differently
Spirit traveled to a hill of older material poking through the newer broken lava floor of Gusev. It was speculated that those hills were the remnants of a large buried crater rim. If true, then you could say that Opportunity is just following in the footsteps of Spirit.

Jack
mhoward
Sol 2685

OWW
Are these boulders part of Cape York or the Odyssey-impactor? Wouldn't IDD-ing them be a waste of time if they are from the impactor? unsure.gif
Oersted
It's funny, mhoward, your upper thumbnail looks as if the landscape has just been lifted up on a flap... <conspiracy theory alert:> It hasn't!
Stu
The Tracking site IDs "Big Rock" as "ridout"... can't find any references to a place of that name... anyone any ideas?

Anyway, when the full size images come back it's going to look like this, but better...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.