Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
djellison
Well - quite. I certainly don't want to see it.
algorimancer
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 19 2011, 08:13 AM) *
I thought we didn't want the image to appear in the quote!...

I think sometimes, when there is potential confusion as to which image is being referred to, it is beneficial to include the image in the quote. Generally we edit the quote to include only the relevant bits being referred to -- sometimes this would include an image. Last time I did this I went to the effort of saving a local copy of the image and re-uploading it with the post, but in this instance it wasn't that critical.
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 19 2011, 02:43 AM) *
Back at Santa Maria (how long ago that seems now!) we saw a rock called "Terreros" which seems, to me, to have something of a look of Munro. I'm thinking of the bluish material that appears to be "splashed" over it (not saying it was splashed, that's just a visual reference, ok?)

Click to view attachment

Oooooooooooo la la.

Some of the folks here are looking at the commonalities between Tisdale 2 and Bagua. (Can't remember where Bagua was...)

-m
mhoward
Bagua was the big rock she swung by on sol 2551, just after leaving Santa Maria.
Ipparchus
Guys, do you know what happened to the excellent site: marsgeo.com ? Has it just changed name or is it deleted?
Stu
Bagua...

Click to view attachment

No, Munro is definitely uglier. laugh.gif
Matt Lenda
I'm sure you mean "ugly" in the geologist's sense: "way more awesomer" (sic)

-m
ZLD
QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Aug 19 2011, 10:56 AM) *
Guys, do you know what happened to the excellent site: marsgeo.com ?

You mean this site?
Tesheiner
Here's aircraft carrier Tisdale 2 as seen today via pancam L2 filter.
Click to view attachment
walfy
Part of the aircraft carrier in 3D. To my untrained eye it looks like the white surface is just a thin coating on top.

Click to view attachment
walfy
Aft of Tisdale:

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
As seen on the navcam. tongue.gif
Click to view attachment
empebe
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 10 2011, 05:31 PM) *
I caught my first glimpse of these incredible images on my phone too, sneaking a look at them at work in the staff room when I "went downstairs for something"... laugh.gif They looked pretty spectacular then, on the teeny-tiny screen, but now I'm home, looking at them properly... just beyond brilliant...!

Been working on those rocks over on t'other side of Odyssey...

Click to view attachment

ohmy.gif
ee lad tha's dun it agin !

The guy who has trouble with anaglips had to step back in case he fell down t'oil (xlation the hole).

The whole lot has sandbagged me, especially as I'm getting in one (hopefully) never ending stream 'cs I was away from the machine for a week.

You people are quite brilliant.

Thanks to you all, and the MIR crew and the guys who build this little buggy and the guys who launched it and the guys who paid tax dollars to get it all there.

Who'd have thought it when I first started as a trainee Telecommunications Technician in 1955 when fast comms was 45 Words/minute.

Mike.

walfy
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 19 2011, 12:10 PM) *
Click to view attachment

OMG, one of the best yet. laugh.gif
jamescanvin
Tisdale in colour

walfy
Not trying to outdo Tesheiner's splendid Tisdale Carrier, but I couldn't resist this one. My niece eating pineapples on Mars:

Click to view attachment
volcanopele
Reminds me of caliche
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 19 2011, 10:10 PM) *

You probably mean navycam blink.gif
DFinfrock
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Aug 18 2011, 11:15 PM) *
Munro rock ...in colors, anaglyph and crossed-eyes. Enjoy smile.gif.

Ant,
I really appreciate the crossed-eyes stereo versions. Those always look better to me than the red/blue anaglyphs.
Merci!

David
Jam Butty
Tisdale_2
Sol 2690 flicker gifs

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Ant103
And… hmmm… Yet, another Tisdale wink.gif

empebe
Phew ! smile.gif
When I posted my rambling thanks I was on page 6, and hadn't quite grasped what 12 more pages could hold.
Ye gods and little fishes - I am the 5000.
Thank you all, I will bathe my red eyes, got to bed and dream of eating pineapples on an aircraft carrier. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Mike
eoincampbell
Has there been a reference to Tisdale_1 ?
Could the team have spotted a post-split sibling ?
serpens
QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Aug 19 2011, 03:56 PM) *
Guys, do you know what happened to the excellent site: marsgeo.com ? Has it just changed name or is it deleted?

It just disappeared during the trek to Victoria. One day it was there and the next the site name was up for grabs. It was an absolutely outstanding explanation and analysis of the early MER findings and now a reminder of the ephemeral nature of internet based information. I wish I had copied it page by page.
Stu
This MUST be the most fascinating rock Oppy's come across in a long, long time...

Click to view attachment
Nocturne
QUOTE (serpens @ Aug 19 2011, 03:59 PM) *
It just disappeared during the trek to Victoria. One day it was there and the next the site name was up for grabs. It was an absolutely outstanding explanation and analysis of the early MER findings and now a reminder of the ephemeral nature of internet based information. I wish I had copied it page by page.

Some portions may be recoverable here

kenny
QUOTE (kenny @ Aug 14 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Seeing two flat white rocks here at Odyssey crater makes me wonder if a block has been split along the line of one of those white veins we saw earlier poking out the ground.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=25257

It looks like there might be a counterpart to Tinsdale laying on the ground further north.

walfy
Tisdale foredeck just came down.

Click to view attachment
walfy
I think this is the view left of Tisdale now, contrast cranked up to boost 3D effect (more uniformly a dull gray, otherwise). There's a stepped, lighter-toned rock back there, partly submerged, with the two big darker-toned rocks on top of it. Very interesting.

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Aug 20 2011, 01:53 AM) *
Has there been a reference to Tisdale_1 ?
Could the team have spotted a post-split sibling ?

This is Tisdale 1.
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
My guess, Tisdale is the rock, 1 and 2 are target spots on it.

Phil

(EDIT: Apparently I was McStooken)
Tesheiner
Tisdale 1 and 2 were named for the first time on these imaging sequences from sol 2686.

02686::p2584::27::4::0::0::4::2::10::pancam_tisdale_1_L257R2

02686::p2585::27::4::0::0::4::2::10::pancam_tisdale_2_L257R2

On a different matter, I saw this reference to the "faulted drives" on the weekly report:
On Sol 2688 (Aug. 16, 2011), the planned approach drive stopped early because the rover's visual odometry could not measure progress accurately due to a lack of visual features in the camera field of view.

Glad to know it was due to somethink so benign instead of a HW related issue.
Stu
'Lack of visual features', eh? What a shame they didn't have a whopping big flat-topped rocky slab...thing...right in front of them...

smile.gif
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 20 2011, 07:55 AM) *
'Lack of visual features', eh? What a shame they didn't have a whopping big flat-topped rocky slab...thing...right in front of them...

smile.gif

smile.gif

We didn't aim the cameras that way during that particular drive.

It's also that the turns were too big and there was a lack of features to detect a change from in the last image that the rover took.

After tonight, pending a successful drive -- and I'm telling you, the RPs yesterday really pulled some heroics to sequence it -- we'll have close-ups of the left side of Tisdale 2. I smell a week of IDD! Cool part is, I'm on shift through Wednesday. Sweet.

-m
mhoward
Coool.

Something a little different: a 100(-ish) degree wide perspective view of the Navcam images from sol 2690. One thing that's more apparent to me in the anaglyph version is, behind Tisdale 2 there's what looks like perhaps a similar rock so eroded that all that's left is a light-colored pile. Tisdale 1.5? Anyway I recommend the anaglyph version.

And since it looks like it's going to be a while (maybe forever?) until the last data dropouts are fixed in the sol 2685-2688 Navcam panorama, here's a sort-of-final version with some holes.

Stu
Looks like a chunk on the left there split right off...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Stu
Tisdale...

Click to view attachment
nprev
Magnificent, Stu!

I am VERY anxious to see the mineralogical analysis of this beautiful little beast.
Phil Stooke
A bit of context - mhoward's pan (hole patched from the other pan) in circular form:

Click to view attachment

Phil
kenny
August 21st is the anniversary of the date in 1770 when Cape York, the most northerly point in Australia, was named by Capt James Cook, after Prince Edward, the Duke of York. He was a brother of King George III, who would not be very popular in the US a few years later.
Oersted
Thanks for the perspective, Kenny.

- From the deck planks of the HMS Endeavour to the edge of the crater Endeavour in little more than a quarter-millenium: the opportunities for exploration have changed, but the spirit of discovery is unvarying. - Western science is a Grand Endeavour indeed!
Jam Butty
Odyssey rock garden
navcam sol 2690

Click to view attachment
eoincampbell
Thanks Jam Butty, works well with iTunes cool.gif
kenny
QUOTE (Jam Butty @ Aug 21 2011, 03:04 AM) *
Odyssey rock garden
navcam sol 2690

Very nice, and as previoulsy speculated, is that the other half of the Tinsdale white-layer sandwich sticking out of the soil there?
Gladstoner
Stu
...and down to work...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
walfy
Nice shot of OPpy's tracks, after having spun around to get the arm on the target. Driving in reverse for miles across the plains, then a quick celebratory doughnut in the dirt!

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...LVP1312R0M1.JPG
Jam Butty
QUOTE (kenny @ Aug 21 2011, 07:50 AM) *
Very nice, and as previoulsy speculated, is that the other half of the Tinsdale white-layer sandwich sticking out of the soil there?

The white stuff in the ground definitely seems similar to the white stuff on top of Tisdale 2,
but the rock they refer to as Tisdale 1 is out of shot to the right.

I think it is the rock in the upper right of this navcam shot, sol 2692
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...LVP1964L0M1.JPG
Tisdale 1
Click to view attachment

QUOTE (walfy @ Aug 21 2011, 09:55 AM) *
Nice shot of OPpy's tracks, after having spun around to get the arm on the target. Driving in reverse for miles across the plains, then a quick celebratory doughnut in the dirt!

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...LVP1312R0M1.JPG

Nice driving...
Oppy is definitely showing off
laugh.gif
climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 21 2011, 10:42 AM) *
...and down to work...

Thanks Stu. Looks like another specimen of Meridianii Opportunity
mhoward
Nice drive! (2692)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.