Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Sunspot
And what do the geologists here make of that?
Eutectic
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Aug 27 2011, 09:42 AM) *

Just pointing out what's easily observable, not interpreting lithology. The vein runs suspiciously close to the division between the thin upper layers and more massive portion. Seeing fresh surfaces would be helpful but might be hard on the RAT.

Parts of this rock remind me of lavasicles I've seen in lava tubes, but he resemblance is coincidental, since the features here were sculpted by wind. It's hard not to speculate on what this rock is made of. Basaltic breccia, basalt overlain by ignimbrite or sulfates or distal ejecta layers -- bring on the APXS and MI and RAT.

Click to view attachment
spiritofgusev
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Aug 27 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Not a geologist, but simultaneously shattered and melted is what it looks like.
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Eutectic @ Aug 27 2011, 10:49 AM) *
Just pointing out what's easily observable, not interpreting lithology. The vein runs suspiciously close to the division between the thin upper layers and more massive portion. Seeing fresh surfaces would be helpful but might be hard on the RAT.

Parts of this rock remind me of lavasicles I've seen in lava tubes, but he resemblance is coincidental, since the features here were sculpted by wind. It's hard not to speculate on what this rock is made of. Basaltic breccia, basalt overlain by ignimbrite or sulfates or distal ejecta layers -- bring on the APXS and MI and RAT.

Click to view attachment

mmmmm... How we yearn for a RAT hole!

I actually think we'll be foregoing the use of the RAT for a bit. The scientists seem to want to save it for a phyllosilicate target further to the northeast on CY.

-m
Hungry4info
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Aug 25 2011, 04:49 PM) *

Is the rock named Tisdale, or Tinsdale. I keep seeing different spellings thrown around.
Tesheiner
A quick google search results on a lot of references to Tisdale and Munro but none to Tinsdale. Bet for the former.

QUOTE (Matt Lenda @ Aug 27 2011, 08:20 PM) *
I actually think we'll be foregoing the use of the RAT for a bit. The scientists seem to want to save it for a phyllosilicate target further to the northeast on CY.

Since Tisdale seems to be a basalt rock, I think it would to be too much stress to the RAT on its current condition.
walfy
The recent Tisdale image(s) in 3D

Click to view attachment
walfy
Wow, this just arrived: a beautiful shot of Tisdale 1.

Click to view attachment
Stu
I Love This Place!! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
"A quick google search results on a lot of references to Tisdale and Munro but none to Tinsdale."

But check out post #338 above... Google's not as reliable as it used to be.

I think Tisdale must be correct, but confirmation would be nice.

Phil

walfy
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 27 2011, 12:24 PM) *
I Love This Place!! smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Very nice! That looks like Kidd Creek, according to Tesheiner's reference image several posts ago.
Stu
Tisdale 1, looking good...

Click to view attachment
serpens
QUOTE (spiritofgusev @ Aug 27 2011, 05:52 PM) *
Not a geologist, but simultaneously shattered and melted is what it looks like.

That's not a bad definition of a suevite.
Juramike
"scattered, smothered, and covered" (then exhumed).
Jam Butty
Tisdale 1
pancam sol 2694
flicker gif...

Click to view attachment
Jam Butty
Ridout
navcam sol 2695
flicker gif

Click to view attachment
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 27 2011, 01:28 PM) *
"A quick google search results on a lot of references to Tisdale and Munro but none to Tinsdale."

But check out post #338 above... Google's not as reliable as it used to be.

I think Tisdale must be correct, but confirmation would be nice.

Phil

Tisdale wink.gif

-m
Reckless
Jam Butty
Thanks for the Great flicker gifs the're the only thing that works for me I love that Tisdale 1 above.
Please keep them coming
Roy F
Stu
Tisdale 1 looks very interesting, doesn't it..?

Click to view attachment

(from new blog post, with too many images to post here, take a look if you like: http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2011/.../rocky-round-up )
jvandriel
Check this one for Tinsdale.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/eco_reser...insdale_er.html

Jan van Driel
BrianL
QUOTE (Reckless @ Aug 28 2011, 02:08 AM) *
Jam Butty
Thanks for the Great flicker gifs the're the only thing that works for me I love that Tisdale 1 above.
Please keep them coming
Roy F

Hi Roy,

I have the same problem with anaglyphs, so I have been generating my own flickers using GIFMAKE
Just upload the left and right images from exploratorium and you can turn any shot into a 3D experience.

Stu
3D animation of Oppy studying Tisdale 2...

Click to view attachment

(That GIFMAKE site's really useful, thanks!)
Stu
I wish I knew more about geology, then I could appreciate the science behind these beautiful rocks... but I don't, so trying to capture/portray their own visual beauty will have to suffice...

Click to view attachment
mhoward
The one on the left is "Tisdale 5". On the right is "Pacaud". (I'm surprised they didn't call it Tisdale 6.)

I think this may be the best rock garden ever.
Stu
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 28 2011, 06:40 PM) *
The one on the left is "Tisdale 5". On the right is "Pacaud". (I'm surprised they didn't call it Tisdale 6.)

I think this may be the best rock garden ever.

Thanks for clarifying those names, I had got Pacaud but not t'other one.

I agree, this is a beautiful, beautiful place. It's become a cliche, I know, but this really is like a whole new mission.

Edit: new map released by NASA*...

Click to view attachment

* not really tongue.gif
nprev
laugh.gif

Outstanding work all around, Stu!!!

Signed,

Sir Nicholas "Nick" Tisdale XLVIII
mhoward
One mistake there: Tisdale 16 is "Pacaud". Otherwise, great! wink.gif
Stu
Hey, it's NASA's map, don't blame me... tongue.gif

I really was starting to lose track, so I've been working on this today...

"The Rocks of Spirit Point"...

Click to view attachment

Note: not shown to scale, and not claiming the colours are accurate, ok? Just a pretty pic (I think!) created for my own - and hopefully some other members' - enjoyment.
MoreInput
Wonderful, Stu.

This place reminds me on a graveyard, and I begin to think how may "Tisdales" are buried here ... rolleyes.gif
Reckless
Stu your pictures get better and better.

My Giffing skills today are non-existant tryed BrianLs Gifmake couldn't get it to work by either the URL method or uploading from my computer.
Jam Buttys Gif program had some results but oblong images stayed square and horizontally compressed.
mhoward
Just messing around: a false-color anaglyph of Tisdale 1 (sol 2694).
walfy
Thanks, Stu, that is a great reference.

By the way, for those of you without 3D glasses, here's another way to make your own 3D "flickers" with your web browser. Copy and paste the URL for both left and right images and put both of them in the same web browser window, in successive order. (Make sure you hit return or enter key after each pasting so each one downloads). After that find the keyboard shortcuts for the "back" button and the "forward" buttons of your web browser. On my Mac, using Firefox (It's the same in Safari), that would be Command-left bracket and Command-right bracket. I found the keyboard shortcut in the "History" menu. By holding down the Command key and toggling the left and right bracket keys, you can flicker to your heart's content at the speed you choose.
Reckless
Thanks Walfy
I'm using the web browser idea with left and right buttons on the top of my Dell keyboard to toggle back and forth.
Back to continual lurk mode.
Roy F
eoincampbell
Brilliant reference Stu, either it 'T'is or it 'Tis'n't laugh.gif
Gladstoner
Stu
That's more like it...

Kidd Creek v2...

Click to view attachment

walfy
Pacaud:

Click to view attachment

Tisdale 3:

Click to view attachment
Stu
Hi-res 3D view of Pacaud...

Click to view attachment

Flat 'n splashy at the same time.

Fascinating, Captain...

Some mineralogical musings here... http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2011/...-praise-of-rock
Stu
Oh... my... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment
walfy
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 29 2011, 11:49 AM) *
Oh... my... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

One of the best ever! Loving that big square block of a rock!
Stu
That was just - excuse the pun - cobbled together. The finished one should be... unbelievable... smile.gif
MoreInput
Wonderful. After all these years, a totally new landscape, everything is different here.

I also like the view to the small hill in the background left. Is this a part of Cape York? (I think so)
ngunn
We are definitely in the sculpture park and those rocks are surely posing for the cameras. Well cobbled Stu.
Stu
Thanks. Better version here...

http://twitpic.com/6d9e68/full

What a stunning place smile.gif
Nirgal
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 30 2011, 12:07 AM) *
Thanks. Better version here...

Fascinating.
What an iconic Alien Rock Garden image !
Jam Butty
Not sure if this rock has a name,
but I think the big block on the right is Tisdale 18.

Flicker gif, pancam sol 2699
Click to view attachment
Jam Butty
Tisdale 24 with Tisdale 18 on the left.
Flicker gif, pancam sol 2699
Click to view attachment
walfy
Thanks again, Stu. I couldn't help but gaze for a long while at your full-size rock garden composite! That has to be a classic.

I Pulled some detail out of the shadows from these fine Martian specimens. The file sizes might be a bit large with my jpegs as I try to minimize the damage to the already compressed and brutalized originals.

Click to view attachment

The rock near the center is sandwich-like. Squyres must be salivating. We can expect NASA will announce a press conference regarding discoveries from this rock garden and vicinity, in due time of course.
mhoward
I kind of dig the flicker gifs, so as an experiment here are a couple in color.
nprev
Thumbs up, Mike! smile.gif

Man...I dunno if it's just me, but these two rocks in particular scream two things to me: "breccia" and "liquid water".

Remarkable. If I'd found them on Earth the explanations would be obvious.

But this is not Earth.

EDIT: One more thing in my mind for the rock on the right (and I do not remember its name): "possible phyllosilicates".

But, again...this is not Earth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.