Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
vikingmars
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 30 2011, 09:38 AM) *
But, again...this is not Earth.

Exactly. And some rocks may have been also weathered for billions of years on the same spot... We have no equivalent on Earth... blink.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Jam Butty @ Aug 30 2011, 01:10 AM) *
Not sure if this rock has a name,
but I think the big block on the right is Tisdale 18.

QUOTE (Jam Butty @ Aug 30 2011, 01:28 AM) *
Tisdale 24 with Tisdale 18 on the left.

The 2x1 mosaic and (IMO) the whole rock field visible on it was named "Stoughton".
AFAIK, all the rocks on this site have been named upon several lithotectonic assemblages on eastern Canada. From Volcanism of Eastern Canada:

The 2,677 million year old Abitibi greenstone belt in Ontario and Quebec is one of the largest Archean greenstone belts on Earth and one of the youngest parts of the Superior craton which sequentially forms part of the Canadian Shield. Komatiite lavas in the Abitibi greenstone belt (pictured) occur in four lithotectonic assemblages known as Pacaud, Stoughton-Roquemaure, Kidd-Munro and Tisdale.
Julius
The white stuff seems to be coating a lot of rocks in this area..it is necessary to know what it is!!
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Julius @ Aug 30 2011, 07:02 AM) *
...it is necessary to know what it is!!
laugh.gif
Your enthusiasm is commendable. Hopefully it is paired with an equal amount of patience. smile.gif
There is a quickly growing list here of things that are 'necessary to know'. I too would like to see the top of Tisdale 2 investigated, especially after a good brushing.
Stu
QUOTE (Jam Butty @ Aug 30 2011, 12:28 AM) *
Tisdale 24 with Tisdale 18 on the left.

Um... You didn't get that my "NASA map" with all those numbered 'Tisdales' was a joke...? wink.gif
fredk
Maybe he did - in the absence of official names for the rocks here, we'll take anything on offer! I actually like the idea of Tisdale n, for n > 0. At some point individual names gets silly.
djellison
It's impossible to tell if someone is being funny or sarcastic or ironic on the internet without gratuitous use of smileys, winks etc etc.
Stu
I think most people here got that my labelled map was a joke...

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=178052

The "* not really" and big smiley were something of a giveaway, I think. laugh.gif
neo56
A compilation of the different rocks imaged by Opportunity so far, with the temporary nomenclature defined by Stu.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (neo56 @ Aug 30 2011, 11:02 AM) *
...with the temporary nomenclature defined by Stu.
Stu, you've created a monster. laugh.gif
Stu
Nope, I haven't defined anything. Those numbered Tisdale rocks were all named and numbered by the MER team, you can see that on the Tracking site.

mhoward
I guess we have to be clear here. Tisdale 1 through 5 are labels from the tracking data, and so are 'official'. At the moment, anything above 5 only appeared in Stu's joke post, and was just a little joke. The names in neo56's post are accurate as far as we know right now and were not defined by Stu.

Adding: And to completely kill the joke: as Tesheiner pointed out, the area over there is apparently called "Stoughton". So Tisdale's days are numbered. (Sorry.)

Well, I thought it was amusing, Stu.
marsophile
QUOTE (Julius @ Aug 30 2011, 05:02 AM) *
The white stuff seems to be coating a lot of rocks in this area.

Just a stab in the dark, but I was wondering if the porous white material could be related to the "popcorn" we saw back at Endurance crater.
neo56
Oops, sorry for my misunderstanding ohmy.gif I thought only one rock was called Tisdale and those with numbers had temporary names given by members of UMSF.
Anyway, what's relevant is not their names but what they are made of. I'm looking forward the first results of the APXS analysis. smile.gif
kungpostyle
Hmmm...

Press Conference
stevesliva
QUOTE (kungpostyle @ Aug 30 2011, 04:21 PM) *

Sneak attack presser. Everyone panic.

(This post is not at all sarcastic.)
Robert S
I don't think we have to worry wink.gif

Quote:
"Opportunity, still very active, reached the rim of Endeavour crater on Aug. 9. The arrival gives the rover access to geology different from any it explored during its first 90 months on Mars. "
Stu
Perfect time for a "Let's catch up with Oppy" press conference. A page has been turned. Long drive behind her, arrival at a shiny new place, sparkly new science targets to find and then study, a whole new landscape to share with people... makes perfect sense to me.
Jam Butty
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 30 2011, 03:16 PM) *
Um... You didn't get that my "NASA map" with all those numbered 'Tisdales' was a joke...? wink.gif

Sorry mate.... it went right over my head.
duh@me lol, I should learn to read stuff more carefully before I post.

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 30 2011, 11:26 AM) *
The 2x1 mosaic and (IMO) the whole rock field visible on it was named "Stoughton".
AFAIK, all the rocks on this site have been named upon several lithotectonic assemblages on eastern Canada. From Volcanism of Eastern Canada:

The 2,677 million year old Abitibi greenstone belt in Ontario and Quebec is one of the largest Archean greenstone belts on Earth and one of the youngest parts of the Superior craton which sequentially forms part of the Canadian Shield. Komatiite lavas in the Abitibi greenstone belt (pictured) occur in four lithotectonic assemblages known as Pacaud, Stoughton-Roquemaure, Kidd-Munro and Tisdale.

Thanks Tesheiner,
actually i prefer the full name of 'Stoughton-Roquemaure' given in the quote,
sounds like a type of blue cheese.
stevelu
QUOTE (Jam Butty @ Aug 29 2011, 04:10 PM) *
Not sure if this rock has a name,
but I think the big block on the right is Tisdale 18.

Flicker gif, pancam sol 2699
Click to view attachment

One thing I love about this pic is how it reminds me of that maze of fake windswept rocks that the Robinsons always seemed to land next to, in the old Lost in Space TV show. (It saw some use in the original Star Trek as well.)

These rocks are far far more interesting, of course. Still, I expect that, just over the hill, Oppy may find an abandoned but still functional alien machine (don't pull that lever Oppy! leave that for Will...or maybe Dr. Smith), or a family of culturally-stereotyped aliens with colored skin mars.gif
Phil Stooke
"I think the big block on the right is Tisdale 18"

I thought it was El Capitan 3792, but I may have lost count.

Phil
mhoward
A false-color look at Tisdale 2 from sol 2697:

The flicker gif loses quality because animated gifs only support 256 colors, and the anaglyph definitely loses most of the color with your red-cyan glasses on. I suggest opening the left and right images - the first two images - and flipping between them manually. I notice you can see the reflections change between the two viewpoints; these rocks appear to be shiny. (!)
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (kungpostyle @ Aug 30 2011, 12:21 PM) *

Holy crap! I didn't even know about this!

Can you say "take an extra long lunch break"?

-m
MoreInput
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 31 2011, 08:12 PM) *

Just call it "Big Joe 7012". But I think they are way too creative at JPL and NASA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rocks_on_Mars

Floyd
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 31 2011, 02:12 PM) *
Phil

El Capitan is one dangerous (and very large) rock ---14 earthlings have perished visiting its environs this year! I'd keep Oppy away so she doesn't lose her footing and fall over a cliff or get swept over a water fall. huh.gif
fredk
Looking across Odyssey with Ridout on the rim, in pancam anaglyph:
Click to view attachment
mhoward
"Stoughton" (sols 2699 and 2701)

marsophile
I'm wondering if the telecon press conference happened as advertised? At 11:20 PDT, I noticed the tail end of a press conference on NASATV that featured Squyres, Callas, etc. At 12:40 I tried to tune in to the advertised audio conference but it didn't seem to have any link posted. Maybe the NASATV event was a replacement for the telecon?
ElkGroveDan
Press conference is tomorrow at noon Pacific time -- roughly 20 hours from the time of this post,

stevelu
QUOTE (marsophile @ Aug 31 2011, 04:36 PM) *
wondering if the telecon press conference happened as advertised?

It's tomorrow http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pr.../20110830a.html
Stu
"Ridout" 3D portrait...

Click to view attachment

...and a rather yummy "Great Things To Come" colour view of part of the Staughton pan...

Click to view attachment
mhoward
"Trailbreaker" Sol 2702 Pancam false-color anaglyph. (Don't know exactly which rock "Trailbreaker" is, or whether it's the whole area.)
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 31 2011, 12:28 PM) *
"Stoughton" (sols 2699 and 2701)

Some of these shots are just

un. real.

Love it. The MER folks love the flicker gif's too, so we don't look like idiots with the anaglyph glasses on.

-m
Tesheiner
Just seen this entry on Scott Maxwell's twitter:
We are driving away from Tisdale_2 today, heading out to the east. Ultimate destination is northeast, but the long way is the better way.

And that's today, sol 2703. Actually, she may be moving right now.
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (mhoward @ Sep 1 2011, 01:52 AM) *
"Trailbreaker" Sol 2702 Pancam false-color anaglyph. (Don't know exactly which rock "Trailbreaker" is, or whether it's the whole area.)

I bet for the bigger one at the background.

If it was the one at the foreground (center left) the imaging sequence would be named Tisdale-N+1.tongue.gif
jvandriel
The complete Navcam L0 view taken on Sol 2695 and Sol 2697.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
mhoward
"Trailbreaker" (sol 2702) again

I should probably point out that the green channel in the right image is synthesized, so color changes between the two frames shouldn't be taken as real.
neo56
QUOTE (mhoward @ Sep 1 2011, 06:00 PM) *
I should probably point out that the green channel in the right image is synthesized, so color changes between the two frames shouldn't be taken as real.

I'm very impressed by the quality of your synthesized green channel, we can see barely no color changes on the RGB !
mhoward
QUOTE (neo56 @ Sep 1 2011, 11:56 AM) *
I'm very impressed by the quality of your synthesized green channel, we can see barely no color changes on the RGB !

I'm doing it with some custom code. Basically I create a table of how red and blue values map to green in the left image, and use the results in the right image. It works pretty well up to a point, but one can see color changes in small areas where the actual green value in the right image differs from the average expected value.
MoreInput
30 minutes to the press conference ...
Floyd
Started? I only have music at 3:33--OK now on

Did anyone get the http://go.usa.gov/032q correct, this is wrong
Phil Stooke
Wait til 3:34!

Phil
jamescanvin
Started.

Visuals and other info here:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/telecon/20110901.html
ilbasso
"Cape Tribulation is kind of screaming at us to go to it after we're finished at Cape York."
smile.gif
MoreInput
New press release: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/news/mer20110901.html

"This is different from any rock ever seen on Mars," said Steve Squyres, principal investigator for Opportunity at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. "It has a composition similar to some volcanic rocks, but there's much more zinc and bromine than we've typically seen. " ==> Steve said: Maybe altered by hydrothermal water, maybe through impact of Endeavour.
neo56
And now, time to go to even more interesting rocks : the phyllos !
Jam Butty
QUOTE (mhoward @ Sep 1 2011, 07:59 PM) *
I'm doing it with some custom code. Basically I create a table of how red and blue values map to green in the left image, and use the results in the right image. It works pretty well up to a point, but one can see color changes in small areas where the actual green value in the right image differs from the average expected value.

Interesting process, impressive results.
Your color flicker gifs look great.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Matt Lenda @ Aug 31 2011, 10:17 PM) *
... so we don't look like idiots with the anaglyph glasses on.

Not to worry, Matt. You don't look like idiots to us.
Click to view attachment biggrin.gif
Tom Tamlyn
Kenneth Chang has an enthusiastic article in the New York Times ("Mars Rover Discovery Elates NASA") ("mission scientists giddily described that rock"), which was for a while prominently displayed on the paper's home page.
Ron Hobbs
QUOTE (Matt Lenda @ Aug 27 2011, 08:32 PM) *
Tisdale wink.gif

-m

Oh my goodness, confusion returns.

"OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Finishing Work at Tinsdale 2" http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/sta...tml#opportunity

This must be a mistake. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.