Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
siravan
Well, there is Ridout lake: http://travelingluck.com/North+America/Can....html#local_map
stevesliva
Bastardization of redoubt.

[Edit] And that gets me here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redoubt_Volcano
Eutectic
QUOTE (OWW @ Aug 14 2011, 10:43 AM) *
Are these boulders part of Cape York or the Odyssey-impactor? Wouldn't IDD-ing them be a waste of time if they are from the impactor? unsure.gif

My money would be on the boulders not being part of the impactor. It's hard to know if Odyssey was formed by a small impactor at high velocity or a larger impactor at a slow velocity, but usually impactors for larger craters don't survive intact.

Odyssey is elongated southwest-northeast and the boulders are on the southeast side with a hint of ejecta on the northwest side. One interpretation of this is an oblique impact, possibly from the southwest. For other examples of "butterfly" ejecta see http://themis.asu.edu/zoom-20030904a and http://www.lroc.asu.edu/news/index.php?/ar...ric-Ejecta.html . If the Odyssey impactor arrived at a low angle from the southwest it might itself be ejecta from another crater in that direction, in which case the impactor would represent the Martian crust, just from an unknown location. So sniffing the boulders might be informative in any case. To me they have a blocky appearance consistent with fractured basalt -- hopefully, we'll know more soon.
MarkG
The Odyssey crater ejecta may reflect the strength of the rock impacted on, and the crater does bisect some sort of boundary. See this item in the "Geomophology of Cape York" thread...
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=177528
[I, er, have an excusably good impression of that other statement...]
Jam Butty
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Aug 14 2011, 07:04 AM) *
Remember you can easily check the date of an image by using: http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/html/filenames_ltst.htm

Drop the file name into the link image code box and hit the decode button. It will give you Sol number, date, time etc.
A handy tool for all UMSF'ers that it's useful remind people of every now and then.

Very useful link, thanks,
it sure beats doing it the hard way.

Sol 2683.
Animated left/right navcam images of the boulders at Odyssey...
Click to view attachment
Explorer1
Flicker gifs are great for those of us without red-blue glasses, thanks! (and doing it in browser manually just isn't the same...)
dilo
Today's new PanoCam Odyssey images combined in crossed and anaglyphs:
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

..and a spectacular color view (contrast inside crater has been enhanced):
Click to view attachment
neo56
Pancam color view taken on sol 2686 and Navcam panorama made with pictures from sols 2685 and 2686.
kenny
QUOTE (dilo @ Aug 15 2011, 10:18 AM) *
..and a spectacular color view (contrast inside crater has been enhanced):

Beautiful.....a classic little ejecta field. Almost looks like Taurus Littrow.
mhoward
More 2686 Navcams

ugordan
My color version of the two frame pano:
Click to view attachment
Stu
QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 15 2011, 02:24 PM) *
My color version of the two frame pano:

Beautiful, just beautiful. I wish you'd do more with the Mars images, it helps beginners like me create more accurate images, seeing how you do it.
ugordan
Well, I always kinda figured "why bother?" when others have a several-year head start on me when it comes to MER raw images. Plus, there's already plenty of folks who post their own color work.
Stu
Always a place for your MER work here, I'm sure everyone will agree with me when I say that.

And I may have a "head start", but I still feel like a kid messing about on the big kitchen table with a £1.99 box of crayons whenever I see your images! laugh.gif
brellis
My eyes are spoiled rotten visiting this thread every day. smile.gif
Stu
3D view of "Ridout"...

Click to view attachment
algorimancer
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 15 2011, 09:07 AM) *
3D view of "Ridout"...

It may be my imagination, but I think I'm seeing lineations (layering?) in two different orientations in Ridout, a slanty one on the left side and more horizontal one on the right side.

EDIT: Upon further consideration, it appears that what I'm seeing is a big foreground rock and a similar sized rock behind it (perhaps the same rock broken into two parts). In this case, the lineations are probably consistent.
ElkGroveDan
Shamelessly stealing Stu's image to bring out detail in the shadows.
marsophile
The blueberry lag deposit seems to have disappeared now that we are on Cape York proper.
Jam Butty
I was thinking the same thing.

Here is an L2,5,7 false colour image of the ground near Oppy on Sol 2686 (I pushed the levels a bit to make the different rock types stand out more).
Not many blueberrys to be seen.

Click to view attachment
Stu
Colour mosaic of surface... waaay too big to post here...

http://twitpic.com/66ls51

Just open up the full size version and marvel at the different shapes, sizes and colours of rocks... smile.gif
john_s
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 15 2011, 08:18 AM) *
Shamelessly stealing Stu's image to bring out detail in the shadows.

It looks to me from this distance that Ridout's a breccia (i.e., a glued-together agglomeration of angular chunks of older rocks). Maybe not surprising, given that it's part of the rim of a 25-km impact crater...

John
Floyd
The blue stones look very familiar, the pink/rose (Stu image) purple (J B image) stones look like something new... Anyone remember seeing rose-colored stones before? Could these be someting interesting???? laugh.gif

[edit] Maybe I just have on rose colored glasses looking for new types of rocks.
walfy
Beautiful rocks out there:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A welcoming place to sit, if there was fresh air to breath. Click to view attachment
tedstryk
QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 15 2011, 02:49 PM) *
Well, I always kinda figured "why bother?" when others have a several-year head start on me when it comes to MER raw images. Plus, there's already plenty of folks who post their own color work.

Excellent work, Ugordan. Come on now Stu, I've been trying to lead Gordan into working on the old images I like (and used to process), not other new images laugh.gif
Nirgal
QUOTE (walfy @ Aug 15 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Beautiful rocks out there:

one should avoid using too much superlatives, but that second 'rock-garden', contrasting lovely with the wide open plains and mountain against the distant backgrund is definitely among the most scenic mars anaglyphs yet smile.gif
jasedm
I still can't quite believe we're here after that epic journey! Fantastic views, well worth the wait.
Thanks to all for the continuing anaglyphery and vista-stitching wizardry.
ugordan
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Aug 15 2011, 09:29 PM) *
Come on now Stu, I've been trying to lead Gordan into working on the old images I like (and used to process), not other new images laugh.gif

Ted, I'll leave the joys (and smells!) of interplanetary dumpsters to you for the time being. laugh.gif
Jam Butty
Sol 2685
Navcam flicker gif of the flat-topped rock,
don't know if it has a name yet.

Click to view attachment
monty python
Wow! I just looked at the august 15th pancams and my head is spinning. My inner python is comming out!

Does that flat top rock have a thin crust of light material on top? Does the rock point back to the rock garden and a light colored path in it? Are the light colored shards in the soil pieces of the same stuff?

I need to see this stuff.

Monty.
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (monty python @ Aug 15 2011, 05:59 PM) *
Wow! I just looked at the august 15th pancams and my head is spinning. My inner python is comming out!

Does that flat top rock have a thin crust of light material on top? Does the rock point back to the rock garden and a light colored path in it? Are the light colored shards in the soil pieces of the same stuff?

I need to see this stuff.

Monty.

Smells like an IDD target to me. wink.gif

-m
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Jam Butty @ Aug 16 2011, 12:40 AM) *
Sol 2685
Navcam flicker gif of the flat-topped rock,
don't know if it has a name yet.

Click to view attachment

Tisdale.

Unless I'm reading too much on Matt's post right above and on this tweet from Scott Maxwell: "Today we're pulling up near Tisdale rock (~22cm tall) so we can fine-approach Wednesday, then IDD it."
Jam Butty
Thanks Tesheiner.
I hope you're right, can't wait to have a closer look.

Also from Scott Maxwell...
"I think we're going to IDD the side of Tisdale, not its top. Can't remember the last time we did that -- Wopmay, in Endurance Crater?"
http://twitter.com/#!/marsroverdriver
tanjent
It probably makes sense to give priority to the cake, but I'm sure they'll get around to IDD'ing the icing as well.
Ant103
In waiting for new pics, Sol 2686 color pan :

This give me the strong feeling to be … at Spirit site in Gusev blink.gif
nprev
smile.gif

In North America, anyhow, if you move in any direction 300 km or so, you will encounter new types of terrain, and new geology.

Same phenomenon seems to apply to Mars. Oppy is (as usual) fortunate to be relatively near such a boundary.

<Sets seat to fully reclined position, prepares to enjoy the ride...>
brellis
Innocent comment about Sol 2686 color pan: it looks like some of those rocks plunged into the sand. Is that possible?

edit, more specifically -- it looks like some of the rocks in Ant's post#185 plunged into the sand pretty recently. The tall skinny rock to the right about 5-10% off-center in the distance looks like it has its own little pile of ejecta.

Is that possible, and if so have we seen anything like this?
eoincampbell
Yes Brellis, I ask for clues in that beautiful scene too, on when Odyssey made all that mess of CY. More recent than Conception perhaps ?
elakdawalla
QUOTE (brellis @ Aug 16 2011, 08:39 PM) *
Innocent comment about Sol 2686 color pan: it looks like some of those rocks plunged into the sand. Is that possible?

I don't see it. When I see something steep with some stuff at the base of the steep slope, my general assumption is that some weathering process attacked the rock, and the stuff at the base is chunks that fell off of it.

What I do find striking is how much rockier this area is than anything Opportunity's seen before. So far in the mission, everywhere you see rock, except in ejecta from very recent craters, the rock has been scoured flat by wind and sand. This new rock is more resistant to Meridiani's sandblasting winds -- maybe not as hard as the Gusev basalts, but harder than Meridiani sulfates. They better be cautious with the RAT!
Eutectic
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 16 2011, 10:50 PM) *
When I see something steep with some stuff at the base of the steep slope, my general assumption is that some weathering process attacked the rock, and the stuff at the base is chunks that fell off of it.

And the big rocks might be protecting the smaller rocks near them from the full erosive effect of the wind.
kenny
I think the point for me is not the detritus at the foot of those rocks, which would be normal as has been explained, but the fact that 3 of them in that view appear to be taller than they are broad (at least from the angle we view them). I imagine pieces of elongated ejecta thrown violently onto a HARD surface would generally bounce until they came to rest lying flat. But if they impact on a SOFT surface they would embed at the random orientation they were in when they hit.

So I'm just wondering if those ones embedded themselves in a regolith surface which had been fluidised, perhaps by the shock of the main imapct which created the crater. Soil fluidisation happens in earthquakes etc.
Tesheiner
A couple of hazcam pics from sol 2688 are available, like this one.
Click to view attachment.
Nevertheless, I think the small rock next to the IDD is *not* the planned target Tisdale, basically because the drive seems to have "faulted".
Oersted
Those faulted drives we've had a couple of recently I take to be the result of more careful fault triggering parameters, rather than trouble with the hardware. Good to see the drivers babying their priceless asset in the beginning of this new mission!
Jam Butty
Nothing new here,
just a reworking of the Sol 2685 pancam images of Ridout for those without 3D glasses...

Click to view attachment
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 17 2011, 01:36 AM) *
A couple of hazcam pics from sol 2688 are available, like this one.
Click to view attachment.
Nevertheless, I think the small rock next to the IDD is *not* the planned target Tisdale, basically because the drive seems to have "faulted".

Is there a sequence ID attached to the image name?

-m
Floyd
QUOTE (Matt Lenda @ Aug 17 2011, 09:02 AM) *
Is there a sequence ID attached to the image name?

1F366822341EFFBMK3P1254L0M1.JPG
Deimos
P1254 -- front_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp -- from sol B/2688 14:25:21 HLST.
Stu
"Tisdale" (2?) in colour...

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Back at last! I'm a bit late, but here's my circular version of the panorama mhoward posted earlier.

Phil

Click to view attachment
kenny
Spectacular! ... the south end of Cape York in all its glory... see how we just drove right over it with hardly a bump.

This reveals nicely how the tones at the rim of Cape York that we interpreted from HiRise as being relief, appear in fact to be bedrock colour variations and dust layers. What a lovely place...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.