Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distant vistas
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
JohnVV
this is what i am getting from a crop of PSP_010486_1775_RED
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

needs some work .
fredk
QUOTE (ngunn @ May 15 2010, 06:59 PM) *
I look forward to the official version of course, but in the meantime thanks in advance to whoever may decide to add a touch of colour.

It looks like you won't have to wait too long! From the latest PS update:
This month Opportunity took a super resolution image of Endeavour's rim that should be released in living Martian color in a few weeks, said Bell. "We have the black and white version, but the one we've been showing the team is still incomplete," he said. "We've been having some processing issues, because of the dust changing on the front lenses, and the rest of the data just came down, so we're still working on it. Since we can actually do the super-res in color, I'd like to release that one. It takes us a few weeks to do the processing, because the images have to be combined and we have to work with the software, and then go through and manually fix what the software doesn't fix. But it is going to be a beautiful color shot."

Colour even! smile.gif

I'm baffled by this comment from the same report:
One crater they're considering taking the time to check out is nicknamed Santa Maria. It's "a brand new crater" and will have exposed brand new material that "won't have any coatings" on the ejecta like the rover found on rocks lying outside Concepción Crater just a few months ago, said Arvidson.

Concepción was pretty fresh. Any guesses what crater they're referring to?
Phil Stooke
Mini-Endurance!

Phil
fredk
That's what I thought Santa Maria referred to, but mini-Endurance looks like an Endurance- or Victoria-aged crater, without ejecta rays and not fresher than Concepcion.
Phil Stooke
I agree, I don't understand the description in the report either. Unless it means 'brand new to us' (as every crater investigated is brand new to us when we see it for the first time), and maybe in a different stratigraphic level so it will expose material 'new to us', and no coatings specifically because it's actually older so they will be gone by now. If it really is totally brand new, how can we possibly know it will lack coatings?

Phil
climber
Now that we know the possible arrival area @Endeavour, could somebody show us the scale on the attached image?
I understand the "island" is a bit less than 1 km but I'll appreciate to get more precise data.
Thanks
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
OK, here's a HiRISE mosaic of the area (San Antonio at upper left, the target hill at lower right) with a 1000 m grid superimposed. The grid origin is Eagle crater, not included on this crop of the full map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Excellent - thanks Phil. That's the one to put up on the wall and move the pin across.
climber
Thank you Phil,

So, now I can say that the diametre of the yellow circle is very close to Home Plate diameter: 95 vs 90 meters.
Bill
QUOTE (Bill @ May 15 2010, 11:10 PM) *
Any idea of what we are seeing here (black spot) ? A distant crater ? A new rock ?
Click to view attachment

The black spot is still there on sol 2253 pancam but visible without super resolution now. As Tesh said, it looks like a cobble. BTW I'm not really sure that's the same object.
Perhaps can we estimate the distance by comparing the superresolution of 2239 sol with this pancam form sol 2253 ?

Moreover, what are we seeing in front of "Cook" mountain ? The region of the Endeavour rim Oppy will be arriving at ? The crater under the summit ? Any idea ?
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A mouse hole?

Phil
fredk
Back in this post I suggested it was the crater below the peak. I think that's likely what it is.

But I like the mouse hole idea, too.
Bobby
Please no more Near Side or Far Side to objects out on the Plains???

As for Beacon Rock or Beacon Vistas now. They are all amazing targets
I am amazed at all the photo work in this thread and others. All you guys
have kept the silent one here in Awe. I feel the best to come.

Thanks Everyone here.

Bobby rolleyes.gif
CosmicRocker
Here is a HiRise anaglyph of Santa Maria (aka, mini-Endurance) Crater. Based on the published emission angles of the images, the vertical exaggeration in this anaglyph should be about 1.1 for a standard pair of eyes a standard distance from the monitor.
Click to view attachment
eoincampbell
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jun 1 2010, 11:30 PM) *
Here is a HiRise anaglyph of Santa Maria...

... has it's own mini "Duck Bay" too... uncannily similar...
Stu
Latest panoramic view...

Click to view attachment
scalbers
Interesting how the foreground looks to be much brighter than the distant features.
Stu
QUOTE (scalbers @ Jun 5 2010, 05:01 PM) *
Interesting how the foreground looks to be much brighter than the distant features.

Just a filter thing. smile.gif

I've put some pics of Santa Maria on my "Road to Endeavour" blog if anyone wants a look...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...re-are-we-going
ngunn
That's a great little status briefing Stu. It reminded me of some of Emily's blog posts. I particularly appreciate the perspective views and the HiRise crop, neither of which are easily accessible to me otherwise.
Nirgal
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 6 2010, 05:23 PM) *
That's a great little status briefing Stu.

Ditto. much appreciated !
smile.gif
nprev
Forgot to thank you for this last night, Stu. Never appreciated "mini-Endurance" before your post; there are some hella big boulders around the edge that might prove fascinating!
HughFromAlice
Having been out of the loop a bit I found your "Road To Endeavour" really good and informative. Loved the pic that headed it - good colour. Very lucky that the incoming which caused that crater on the bend in the Thames missed SunHill police station ... but only just!!!
ElkGroveDan
Ditto Stu.

If you look really closely there are a neat looking pair of parallel boulder tracks down the South wall of Santa Maria. I suspect they are relatively fresh.
Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 6 2010, 10:36 PM) *
Ditto Stu.

If you look really closely there are a neat looking pair of parallel boulder tracks down the South wall of Santa Maria. I suspect they are relatively fresh.

I think they're a HiRISE imaging artefact Dan; they seem to continue on past the crater heading north.

Click to view attachment
Stu
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 6 2010, 10:15 PM) *
there are some hella big boulders around the edge that might prove fascinating!

Yep... smile.gif

Click to view attachment

( two rovers for the price of one smile.gif )
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 6 2010, 03:11 PM) *
I think they're a HiRISE imaging artefact Dan; they seem to continue on past the crater heading north.

Sure Stu. Go ahead and rain on my parade.
JohnVV
these strips ?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
if so then they do look like ccd artifacts
djellison
That's probably the seam between two of the 10 ccd's that make up a B&W HiRISE swath
Oersted
seams like it.
PDP8E
Here is a stacked image of the approach to endeavor crater (about 3wks ago)
I built a stacker for another project and tried it on these images this weekend.
I used the noisy jpegs from the Mars Rover web site

Click to view attachment

cheers

dilo
Impressive stack, PDP8E! We still see some jpeg artifacts but, from this view, Endeavour seems so close... ph34r.gif
HughFromAlice
Thought I might as well have a bit of wekend fun with some challenging PanCams from Sol 2246 while waiting for new images on Exploratorium. Turned out to be hard to do!! I thought I'd post anyway smile.gif

Click to view attachment

I love those mountains (crater rims!!) and although geological quite different they look like some of the mountains round here do - from a distance.
ngunn
Seems like a good time to revisit this:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=20933

There is a smallish crater just above the end of the label 'Plains beyond Endeavour' in that composite image. There is also a dark feature now visible out on those plains near the right hand end of Ant's latest panorama in the Drive East thread. I'll try to add a link pointing to it, but meanwhile it's not hard to spot. I wonder if they are the same?

EDIT It's at the centre of this crop laterally, and about halfway between the near and far horizons vertically.
Bobby
I was just wondering what is the furthest object or place we can see from any recent Opportunity Images?
Is there anyway to show that on an overhead shot compared to the ground based shot from Opportunity's cameras?

Thanks
Bobby
Tesheiner
> Is there anyway to show that on an overhead shot compared to the ground based shot from Opportunity's cameras?

Yes, and it was already done in this very same thread more than once IIRC. wink.gif
Bobby
Thanks Tesheiner I will look this thread over to find it. Can you help me find it?
ngunn
Check James Canvin's work I linked to a few posts back, and also this:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=155988
fredk
The Mule Ears (Miyamoto rim) are the farthest features we can see.
ngunn
And here's the link to James's composite looking in that direction:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=21125
Bill
New part of the east rim visible now (sol 2274). smile.gif
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...VBP2350L2M1.JPG
ngunn
Wasn't that already visible from Concepcion? (check link in post 483)
Or am I getting confused again?
fredk
QUOTE (Bill @ Jun 19 2010, 08:40 AM) *
New part of the east rim visible now (sol 2274)

Ngunn is right, it was ID'ed in that inverse polar of James'. We've seen that bit at least as far back as Concepcion - compare with this frame from sol 2160:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...CXP2378L6M1.JPG

The view towards the SE has improved dramatically, but the view directly east hasn't yet. Hopefully it will soon and we'll be able to see the entire rim.
Astro0
Following Ant's lovely Sol2271 and 2272 panoramas on the Drive East thread, here are some animations of that view.
Click to view attachment
The 2.8mb full size version is here.

Plus a cropped detail at 300%...
Click to view attachment

Looking forward to lots more frames in this movie! smile.gif

EDIT: A three-frame sequence Sols 2271, 2272 & 2274
Click to view attachment
dilo
Impressive, Astro0. The last B/N animation give great feeling of progressive approach to vantage point!
I made this pano starting from Sol2274 images. I used R1+R2 pictures (B and R components respectively, wtih G component done from average):
Click to view attachment
Here below a 4x vertical enhancement (horizontal scale still the original-about 25° FOV):
Click to view attachment
MoreInput
Cool.

And in Google Earth it seems that we are at the lowest point of a depression. I estimate that oppy must drive more than one kilometer or so to go to the top of the ridge and have the coolest view ever on mars.

ngunn
In post 442 I arrived at an estimate for the distance to the near horizon of 2500m and suggested it might be about there we'd be able to see Santa Maria. That was just before the turn eastward, and since then we've already covered about one seventh of that distance.
Ant103
Sol 2273 view. Always fascinating hills smile.gif
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jun 20 2010, 02:42 AM) *
... Looking forward to lots more frames in this movie! smile.gif ...
Truly fascinating, Astro0. I'm looking forward to more of those animations.

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jun 20 2010, 07:00 PM) *
... Always fascinating hills smile.gif ...
That's absolutely gorgious, Ant!
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (MoreInput @ Jun 20 2010, 11:29 AM) *
... And in Google Earth it seems that we are at the lowest point of a depression. ...
There's something fishy about that depression in Google Earth/Mars. It doesn't appear on Tim Parker's posted topographic map of the region as pointed out by Bill Harris and ngunn. I later speculated that the Google map may be affected by a bad MOLA data point.

Regardless of the reason, the depression can't be real. If it were, Opportunity would not be able to image Endeavour's rim or the other distant vistas from this location.
Ant103
Thanks CosmicRocker, and very well done animations Astro0 smile.gif

I think you can add this picture, of Sol 2274, showing some rising elements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.