Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: South from the landing site, sols 72-237
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
neo56
QUOTE (tau @ May 16 2021, 04:24 PM) *
Colorful multispectral Mars on Sol 77

Very interesting work! It reminds me PCA I used to do during my PhD thesis when I was working on martian seasonal ices. We did PCA on OMEGA hyperspectral images to identify different kinds of mixing between CO2 ice, H2O ice and dust.
James Sorenson
The Sol-84 post-drive Navcam pan.

Polar
PaulH51
Drive on sol 86 (Site 4, Drive 0048) end-of-drive FL-Hazcam
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A circular panorama from sol 86.
Phil
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
The post-drive Navcam pan from Sol-86.

Polar
PaulH51
Engineering Check-out, or bit exchange?
Sol 87 Navcam's
Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 87 Mastcam-Z filter 0 slightly processed and combined to 3D

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
James Sorenson
A 3D model of the large rock that is now in-front of the rover. This is using the Sol-87 images. I had to reduce the resolution of the model for upload to SketchFab. Hopefully Perseverance can drive around to the opposite side of it to image it so i can fill in some of the large holes with real data. smile.gif

Anyone know what the name of this rock is?

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/perseveranc...snCuV3CP_MizXOA
Phil Stooke
"Anyone know what the name of this rock is?"
Sorry, James - no. I wish we had more target names. The first data will show up in PDS in August and if the Analyst's notebook is available then a whole lot of names will probably show up. There will be some re-mapping going on with those names attached.
Phil

Steve5304
Is this damage?

sol 82 hazcam btw
PaulH51
QUOTE (Steve5304 @ May 21 2021, 10:43 AM) *
Is this damage?
sol 82 hazcam btw

I think that may not be damage, it looks like it's the 'SLI' (single layer insulation) which is part of the gDRT system. It's purpose is described in this PDF as a blanket of insulation covered in black Kapton tape LINK, there are some sketches etc in the PDF but they're not that detailed. However, I've not managed to find an image of it before launch.
PDP8E
ohhh MEDA SkyCam!
I have looked at all your images -- and have not discerned a single cloud! (probably my skills)
But, I have seen a few nighttime moon pictures and those night shots are helping me to identify persistent HOT pixels to subtract from future astrophotography.
Is there a known cloudy season/time here?

After going in "circles", this is the only thing I have... sorry... wink.gif

Click to view attachment

Steve5304
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ May 21 2021, 02:52 PM) *
I think that may not be damage, it looks like it's the 'SLI' (single layer insulation) which is part of the gDRT system. It's purpose is described in this PDF as a blanket of insulation covered in black Kapton tape LINK, there are some sketches etc in the PDF but they're not that detailed. However, I've not managed to find an image of it before launch.

Oh its an odd looking fabrication...the angle is nuts...tonight I'm gong to look through older images to see if i can find more. I would just be curious if it *was* damage...literally how did it happen
mcaplinger
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ May 21 2021, 06:52 AM) *
I think that may not be damage, it looks like it's the 'SLI' (single layer insulation) which is part of the gDRT system... However, I've not managed to find an image of it before launch.

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/22700/attac...urret/?site=msl
Ant103
Sol 89, a very nice MastcamZ panoramic !

vikingmars
QUOTE (Ant103 @ May 22 2021, 12:33 PM) *
Sol 89, a very nice MastcamZ panoramic !
Congratulations Damia pour this nice panoramic picture.

=>> Here is the Sol 89 pan in its 3D version : a gorgeous perspective indeed ! Enjoy smile.gif
Click to view attachment
tau
At least two laser shots on sol 91.

AClick to view attachment BClick to view attachment CClick to view attachment

A) Stitched SuperCam photo with laser holes (green crosses).
B) Context photo from Mastcam-Z left eye, filter 0, slightly enhanced, with outline of image A.
C) Multispectral image, Mastcam-Z left eye, filters 0 to 6, principal components 1, 3, and 2, with outline of image A.
James Sorenson
The post-drive Sol-91 Navcam panorama's.

Polar
PaulH51
Sol 91: left side Mastcam-Z, Arm-workspace mosaic (zoom set at 34mm)
Roughly assembled in MS-ICE, with added 50 cm scalebar.
Click to view attachment
tau
SuperCam sighted a layered outcrop on sol 92.
AClick to view attachment BClick to view attachment CClick to view attachment

A) Layered outcrop of the lower etched unit as seen by SuperCam
B) The same as seen in the distance by Mastcam-Z on sol 89
C) Location of the outcrop about 550 m southwest from Perseverance

Edit: Wrong position of the outcrop seen by SuperCam in image C (about 100 m off). Correction of the error in my next post.
vikingmars
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ May 24 2021, 11:59 AM) *
Sol 91: left side Mastcam-Z, Arm-workspace mosaic (zoom set at 34mm)
Roughly assembled in MS-ICE, with added 50 cm scalebar.

Thanks to you, PaulH51, we can see the rocks up-close.
Now, you can grab them ! wink.gif
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (vikingmars @ May 25 2021, 04:34 PM) *
Now, you can grab them ! wink.gif

Nice Anaglyph smile.gif I'll have the one closest to the rover
HSchirmer
Quick question - what is the usable range of the sampling laser?

Kinda curious whether nuclear powered lasers on the rover could take a sample at distance, then send the chopper over to see what material lies beneath the 'desert varnish'.
djellison
QUOTE (HSchirmer @ May 25 2021, 02:31 AM) *
Quick question - what is the usable range of the sampling laser?

7m per https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2016/pdf/1322.pdf
Phil Stooke
QUOTE (charborob @ May 25 2021, 03:40 AM) *
Sol 92 LMastcam-Z, with a dust devil in the upper left corner:

You also got a nice glimpse of Ingenuity, about 70% of the way from left to right.

Phil
Steve G
I'm really perplexed at the lack of interest in examining the landing hardware up close. Opportunity inspected the heat shield, but none of the Mars rovers have checked out the parachutes (I'd love to see the wind dynamics in them), the heatshields, or the MSL landers. Does anyone have any feedback as to why?
nprev
Short answers (my opinion but also from what I've heard from time to time from experts):

1. Chutes- risk of entanglement far outweighs any potential benefits.

2. MSL/Percy landing stages- risk of residual hazmat fouling chem sensors, again outweighs benefits.

3. Heatshield- Oppy's was very conveniently located with respect to the science traverse which was the only reason it was examined. The others not so much.

4. Overarching- The rovers are there to do Mars science, not to acquire engineering data on flown hardware. When they're down safely the science team is calling the shots...as they should be.
tau
Due to an wrong baseline and the resulting incorrect triangulation, I incorrectly located the layered outcrop seen by SuperCam on sol 92 in my last post.
The correct position should be as shown in this HiRISE map here. Now some features in the HiRISE image and in the Mastcam Z images of Sol 92 match better:
A) Remnant of an outcrop or large boulder
B) Large dune
C) Layered outcrop photographed by SuperCam on sol 92
D) Another layered outcrop
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Tom Tamlyn
QUOTE (nprev @ May 25 2021, 03:07 PM) *
3. Heatshield- Oppy's was very conveniently located with respect to the science traverse which was the only reason it was examined. The others not so much.

ISTR some chatter to the effect that there may have been residual chemicals from Oppy's heatshield that were later thought to have damaged the Mini-TES instrument. Or something like that.

Hard to establish or rule out definitively, perhaps, but I can imagine that even a slight indication that it had occurred might have an outsized influence on the risk/reward calculation for similar future proposals.
Phil Stooke
Backing up nprev's comment on the science - you don't send a 2 billion dollar rover to watch a parachute flap in the breeze.

Phil
James Sorenson
QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ May 25 2021, 01:46 PM) *
ISTR some chatter to the effect that there may have been residual chemicals from Oppy's heatshield that were later thought to have damaged the Mini-TES instrument. Or something like that.

I can't validate that, But I can tell you that Oppy's rear-hazcam lenses received some contamination as wind blew heat shield particulate debris into them from a small chunk of debris that was in the field of view behind the rover.

This kind of thing MUST be avoided with any of Perseverance's EDL hardware. This is a mission that will cache samples for Earth return and it is very important that those tubes are kept as pristine as possible from any kind of contamination like that.
HSchirmer
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ May 26 2021, 05:27 AM) *
I can tell you that Oppy's rear-hazcam lenses received some contamination as wind blew heat shield particulate debris into them from a small chunk of debris that was in the field of view behind the rover.
I never knew that 'skidmarks' were an issue with the Mars rovers, and now I can't un-read it...
Holder of the Two Leashes
Hey, don't they have a helicopter that can examine some of the EDL hardware from the air?
Explorer1
Yes, but it is staying near the rover's traverse to image future drive sites for the next few months. And since they are not planning to drive near the EDL hardware, ipso facto, they will probably not fly near the EDL hardware either.
Though to be fair, I also said it would be tough to image Perseverance itself during a flight, and I was glad to be proven wrong!
James Sorenson
QUOTE (HSchirmer @ May 26 2021, 03:37 AM) *
I never knew that 'skidmarks' were an issue with the Mars rovers, and now I can't un-read it...

laugh.gif
Now I can't as well...

Here is a 16 tile Navcam image from Sol-92.

Phil Stooke
QUOTE (charborob @ May 25 2021, 03:40 AM) *
Sol 92 LMastcam-Z, with a dust devil in the upper left corner:
-----

See my note in the Ingenuity thread - Ingenuity had moved before this panorama was taken. Flight 6!

Phil
James Sorenson
The early morning Navcam view on Sol-93. Shadow selfie! smile.gif

neo56
Panorama taken on sol 92 with MCZ-Right, with a dust devil on the upper left corner and Ingenuity on the right.

Saturns Moon Titan
Click to view attachment

Jim Bell's LPI talk, which was uploaded to the LPI YouTube channel yesterday, provided a few new details about Perseverance's science campaign which will commence as soon as instrument checkouts are complete (which will be quite soon, if all goes well roughly sol ~100). The video is titled "Delta Bound: Early Exploits of the Perseverance Rover in Jezero Crater"

1) Perseverance's first science campaign will be a loop to the south and back again to the landing site. I always thought that red line was marking a corridor the rover might explore, but he said its actually a (preliminary, non-finalised) plan for a walkabout. I attended a talk on the benefits of walkabouts with regards to Mars rovers in 2019, it's a relatively new strategy of rover exploration that Curiosity trialled at Pahrump Hills. In traditional exploration, a rover basically just drives in a straight line, documenting geological contacts as it goes, whereas in contrast walkabouts involve a reconaissance traverse followed by returning along your route and revisiting certain sites in more detail. It's been demonstrated to boost scientific output in some situations; a major advantage is that the initial reconaissance traverse gives you days/weeks to analyse data and find scientifically interesting sites that you otherwise might have driven past without realising.

2) This campaign might last until the end of 2021

3) They hope to drill 3 or 4 samples in this time, before heading to the delta scarp

4) The lithology at Seitah is inaccessible from the current landing site due to hazardous ripples, however its of scientific importance to collect a sample here because of layering visible in orbital images which could indicate a sedimentary origin. They believe there could be spots along this walkabout where the rover may be able to cross the boundary and take a drill sample
Phil Stooke
I had the impression from this talk that the return journey would only be taken if no way through the rough area was found at the south end. Could be wrong! Alternatively, it could be a rapid walkabout south and back to the landing area to better assess where sampling might be undertaken. I was hoping to snag a few extra placenames from the talk but there were no new ones.

Phil
Andreas Plesch
I will watch the talk. It now makes a lot of sense that Perseverance was sent to the edge of the dune dominated "Seitah" . From there it could gather reconnaissance of the area from a 10m vantage point, including of where layered sediments were spotted. The aerial images should help determine if there is potentially a path to rover access, and improve on relying on just the remote sensing data from orbiters. One could even imagine sending Perseverance further into Seitah, first on a return trip and then perhaps one way if it makes sense. It just needs a small flat area as an air field. Such a trip would demonstrate that such drones can be useful to explore inaccessible areas.
tau
Another layered outcrop in "Seitah" taken by SuperCam on sol 96. It allows to complement the context image from sol 92. The outcrop is that one labeled "D" in the HiRISE photo in this previous post. The distance from the rover to the outcrop is about 600 m.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Tau - I am really enjoying these Supercam RMI images.

Phil
Shan
Noticed something on Sol95 images.. is this dust on camera?

The image was take by Navigation cameras on Sol95.. There are 4 such images similar to this one & it's noticeable on all those images - https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/r...AM00501_01_295J

ADMIN: Post moved to appropriate thread.
Ant103
Sol 96 Postcard of a very nice scenery.

Sean
Sol 00096ML

Nix
QUOTE (Ant103 @ May 30 2021, 11:30 AM) *
Sol 96 Postcard of a very nice scenery.

Oh my! We get a peek further inside the crater in the foreground and a better view of the foot of the delta and the dunes there rolleyes.gif
neo56
My take on this dramatic landscape captured on sol 96. What a beautiful light!

nprev
Astonishing. Looks like a Don Davis or Rick Sternbach painting at first glance.
Gladstoner
Magnificent. The foreground is like a zen garden.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.