Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: South from the landing site, sols 72-237
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Phil Stooke
Very nice - and over to the right the rover bellypan and helicopter debris shield are visible among the rocks.

Phil

charborob
Sol 96 anaglyph:
Click to view attachment
Sean
This Is MARS / Perseverance Rover / Sol 00096 / 4k

Youtube...
neo56
Mastcam-Z panorama in anaglyph and selected x-eyed pairs.

Phil Stooke
This is the sol 99 location. I chose the images to maximize viewing of the surface, which cuts out parts of the rover.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Explorer1
Someone spotted EDL hardware a few days ago : https://youtu.be/dYZOThUXVmE?t=144

He says it's the skycrane, and though it seems to be the right direction, with the delta in the background, it seems too intact to me; possible the chute and backshell?
Andreas Plesch
The Navcam (top) and the Hazcam(bottom) spotted dust devils 6 minutes apart on sol 99:

Click to view attachment

Extreme color stretching of the air may show hints of the dust devils as well.

It could be the same one travelling south but we have seen dust devils mostly migrate north in this area. They can also occur in quick succession when the conditions are favorable. Perhaps there is a weather report documenting wind direction at the rover.
HSchirmer
QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Jun 1 2021, 08:37 PM) *
The Navcam (top) and the Hazcam(bottom) spotted dust devils 6 minutes apart on sol 99:
Click to view attachment Extreme color stretching of the air may show hints of the dust devils as well.
It could be the same one travelling south but we have seen dust devils mostly migrate north in this area. They can also occur in quick succession when the conditions are favorable. Perhaps there is a weather report documenting wind direction at the rover.
First- I'm quite curious now, perhaps the Gusev Crater 'dust devils' could be the 'genie' Percy needs.
We've all read old myths about "the golden fleece" and the "genie in the desert making you rich"- but IIRC, both of those turn out to have a germ of truth based on density based fractionation and concentration. Hear me out-
There's some interesting evidence that placer gold deposits in sand were mined for tiny flakes by laying down a sheep's fleece, stomping around on the creek bed, and relying on density to trap those placer gold flakes in the fleece.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/artic...40618214005515#
In a similar vein, desert "dust devils" running for miles across desert can sort small pebbles by density, (looking for the citation) which suggests you could follow a dust devil that picked up placer gold and rough gemstones (denser than local sand) and dropped them as the dust-devil dissipated.

Second, bootstrapping from above, curious if the Gusev dust devils might actually accumulate and concentrate denser material as they traverse Gusev- making the final "deposit" point where the dust devil dissipates a VERY interesting sample target?
Phil Stooke
Explorer1: "possible the chute and backshell?"

I looked at this in the sol 57 panorama - it is too close to the nearby crater to be the backshell and parachute. The direction is better for the remains of the 'skycrane' descent stage but I think it's much more likely to be a few rocks that are a bit brighter than usual or happen to have faces oriented to reflect light better - we had a case like that near Kodiak very early in the mission which turned out to be an ordinary rock.

Phil
fredk
Sol 99 skycam night views showed some skyglow. Here's a smoothed stretch of one of the frames:
Click to view attachment
Perhaps this is due to the moon visible in the image at around 5:00? The image was acquired at about 4:05 LMST.
vikingmars
Thanks so much Ant103, Sean and Neo56 for those superb panoramas (and in 3D): I would not dare add mine wink.gif
Sol 94. Rocks embedded within dunes. Also in 3D (here below). Enjoy smile.gif
Click to view attachment
vikingmars
Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jun 1 2021, 06:09 PM) *
Someone spotted EDL hardware a few days ago : https://youtu.be/dYZOThUXVmE?t=144
He says it's the skycrane, and though it seems to be the right direction, with the delta in the background, it seems too intact to me; possible the chute and backshell?

Thank you Explorer1 for your findings smile.gif
Here are some well processed images (context panorama + zoomed image + 3D). The 'SkyCrane' looks like 'shiny' rocks. Other ideas ?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 96 Mastcam-Z left eye multispectral principal components false color images
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 96 Mastcam-Z right eye multispectral (infrared channels only) first and second principal components false color images, still struggling with flatfield inhomogeneities. The white filled circle in the lower half of the image hides an impurity in filter R6.
Judging by the false colors, at least two different rock types are visible. Rocks from the lower etched unit (Seitah) appear yellow-brown on the illuminated side, rocks from the Jezero floor unit have a blue tint.
tau
Sol 101 SuperCam with laser shots
Click to view attachment
tau
A second SuperCam on sol 101: A rock with an imaginative surface, and a small part of it in stereo
tau
Sol 102 Mastcam-Z context image with sol 101 SuperCam image inserted, two stereo images, and a right eye multispectral (filters 0 to 6) PCA image
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Another drive on Sol 103 smile.gif
Looking back at the tracks in this R-Navcam
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I accidentally posted this first in the helicopter thread and am moving it here.

This is the sol 103 parking area. We are a bit to the north of the fifth flight landing point.

Click to view attachment

Phil

Ant103
Sol 103 Navcam panoramic

tau
Two SuperCam image series on Sol 103, one with at least 10 laser shots, four of them into the sand, six on the rock to the left.
tau
Sol 103 Mastcam-Z context image with the two Supercam images inserted, a corresponding Mastcam-Z right eye multispectral (filters 0 to 6) PCA image, and a stereo image of the same place.
xflare
Nice view of those shiny rocks seen in the first few sols.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020-raw-images/p...5_110085J01.png
Phil Stooke
Sol 104, another drive. Here's a circular view of the new location:

Click to view attachment

Phil
charborob
Sol 104 LMastcam-Z:
Click to view attachment
Ant103
An other, an other panoramic. Sol 104.

tau
Kodiak in PCA colors on sol 104.
Note: The colors have been adjusted for a monitor with sRGB color space. On a monitor with an extended color space (e.g. Adobe RGB), some colors may appear too intense. If possible, switch to sRGB.
Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 104 SuperCam plus context image
Phil Stooke
Thanks for that, it's a very nice thing to see. I wish we had names for some of the things we are seeing. Early in Curiosity's mission most targets only had numbers, but now they all get names. I wonder what the situation is with Perseverance. We will know as soon as the Analysts Notebook gets going at PDS, maybe as soon as August when the first release is due.

Phil
PaulH51
Another drive on Sol 105, brings us closer to the ejecta? on the edge of a small crater
Click to view attachment
vikingmars
Sol 105 : a faint DD seems to have been captured by the MastCam on two adjacent pictures... or is it a reflection on the lenses ?
vikingmars
Sol 105 : a nice view of the crater rim taken by the NavCams. Also in 3D. Enjoy smile.gif
tau
Sol 105 SuperCam with some laser shots, Mastcam-Z context, and the Mastcam-Z image with enhanced colors
tau
Sol 105: An impressive Martian landscape in stereo. There should be some layered rock fragments, which were excavated out of the underground by the impact.
Click to view attachment
tau
Another scenic view on sol 105 in stereo.
By the way: Wide-gamut monitors are advantageous when viewing anaglyphs with red-blue or red-green glasses; there is less "ghosting" (show-through of the right image) in the left eye.
Click to view attachment
fredk
QUOTE (tau @ Jun 7 2021, 05:34 PM) *
Wide-gamut monitors are advantageous when viewing anaglyphs with red-blue or red-green glasses; there is less "ghosting" (show-through of the right image) in the left eye.

How good filters your 3D glasses use, and whether the images (if jpegs) are stored without chroma subsampling also make a big difference.
Phil Stooke
This is the sol 105 Navcam panorama in circular form. In that nice little field of drifts by the crater rim.

Phil

Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 106 SuperCam (still without context). Does the matrix consist of small elongated crystals?
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (tau @ Jun 8 2021, 08:48 PM) *
Sol 106 SuperCam (still without context). Does the matrix consist of small elongated crystals?

Context...
Click to view attachment
tau
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Jun 8 2021, 03:01 PM) *
Context...

Thank you, PaulH51. Here are two Mastcam-Z context images (sol 105 and 106) with the SuperCam image inserted. I expected the rock to be near the rover. Obviously, the structures (crystals?) are not as small as I thought before.
charborob
Sol 106 Mastcam-Z anaglyph:
Click to view attachment
nprev
Looks like a fairly typical boulder to me. The vesicles are a bit interesting, but what I think you're interpreting as 'crystals' on the right side appears much more like aeolian weathering.
tau
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 8 2021, 05:56 PM) *
Looks like a fairly typical boulder to me. The vesicles are a bit interesting, but what I think you're interpreting as 'crystals' on the right side appears much more like aeolian weathering.
I don't mean the parallel streaks on the right side of the rock. That actually looks like aeolian abrasion. I have a vague impression that there are some elongated structures with different orientations on the top, but that's on the edge of discernibility. A possible rover visit to this boulder could shed more light.

Meanwhile I prepared a stereo image with this rock. Behind the rocks in the foreground a depression is visible, the crater interior. The rock mentioned above is behind the crater. It is probably the big one in the center of the white circle on the HiRISE map. The distance from the rover to this point is about 100 m.
john_s
I agree with tau that there's something intriguingly geometrical about the surface texture between the obvious pits on that rock. Also agree that it's a marginal detection, but it would be great if we could get a closer look.

John
PaulH51
A very short drive on sol 107 as seem rear HazCam view of the tracks (Site 4 drive 644)
Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
I tend to agree with John's agreement.
This rock has an interesting texture. It does "seem" basaltic. But without a close up look and determination of the minerology we can't be sure. The 'vesicles' could be aeolian erosion of softer clasts in a conglomerate. Millennia of aeolian erosion in a thin atmosphere can produce alien-looking forms. And remember, this area has experienced many episodes of deposition and erosion of several types for many millions of years. This area will end up being complex beyond comprehension.
I'm interested in mineralogy and provenance of the flat light-toned rocks that we see emplaced like paving stones.
tau
Sol 107 Mastcam-Z left eye and right eye multispectral PCA images, and an anaglyph
tau
A few moments ago new raw images were published. Here again two multispectral images and one anaglyph.
tau
A "Supercamorama" from sol 107 and its context
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.