Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ingenuity- Mars 2020 Helicopter
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PDP8E
nice work Thomas!
is it me ...or are there only 3 long rotors (including shadows)?
neo56
Thanks!
Yes, one rotor blade is missing. It was most probably broken when Ingenuity impacted the ground.
PDP8E
Sol 1072 Ingenuity -- Final Landing Field
Over use of adding layers - high pass filters, auto hist ... a little harsh
Click to view attachment
fredk
A prize for anyone finding the missing rotor? Or is it embedded in the sand next to the 'copter?
mcaplinger
Old news, the missing rotor is off to the left: https://twitter.com/stim3on/status/17545634...h9-LBw&s=08
PDP8E
Mike is right, the missing rotor is off to the left of the 'copter
.... but...
I conjecture that the helicopter rotors spun into the sand ridge in the 'box' (the scars are there?)
and somehow, Ingenuity corkscrewed over to the nearer ridge and "stuck the landing", minus a rotor that flew off between the ridges (left).

The Route Map gurus could probably give us the distance/height.

Click to view attachment

... as always, I could be wrong... unsure.gif
mcaplinger
QUOTE (PDP8E @ Feb 25 2024, 05:39 PM) *
I conjecture that the helicopter rotors spun into the sand ridge in the 'box' (the scars are there?) and somehow, Ingenuity corkscrewed over to the nearer ridge...

Those marks look unrelated to me. The simplest explanation is that the heli flew into the ground at an angle ("CFIT") and broke the blades, but the landing gear stance was large enough and the CG low enough that the usual tipover was avoided and it stayed upright while the rotors spun down. There's no need to invoke more complex gymnastics IMHO.
tau
Sol 1072 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic of Ingenuity and its lost rotor blade.
The distance between them is about 15 m (very rough estimate).

Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 1072 SuperCam RMI images of Ingenuity and its lost rotor blade (enlarged).

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
serpens
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Feb 26 2024, 07:31 AM) *
Those marks look unrelated to me. The simplest explanation is that the heli flew into the ground at an angle ("CFIT") and broke the blades,.....

Yes, the blade end position and nearby impact mark indicate a straight line to Ingenuity's position. But the actual impact sequence is less clear. There seem to be two blade collision points (upper and lower?) and the left side of the solar panel is pushed down 90 degrees. Hard to see anything but a strike by an upper blade segment causing that and Tau's image seems to reveal only the inner section of the blade. Carbon fibre is strong and light but the blade tip speed is around 240mps and the velocity squared dominates in kinetic energy. I may be missing something but the impact outcomes on the blade seem complex, possibly a bend fracture then break at both the bend and the blade root, all at an impressive rotational velocity. Is there a missing part of the blade hiding somewhere?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (serpens @ Feb 26 2024, 03:11 PM) *
the left side of the solar panel is pushed down 90 degrees.

No, you are seeing the remaining part of one of the lower blades. The solar panel is undamaged and undisturbed.

I think the detached blade is consistent with being the whole half of the upper blade, broken at or near the root.

Much clearer image at https://www.flickr.com/photos/semeion/53549974562/
serpens
Aah, clear now. I stand corrected.
Bill Harris
QUOTE (serpens @ Feb 26 2024, 06:11 PM) *
Yes, the blade end position and nearby impact mark indicate a straight line to Ingenuity's position. But the actual impact sequence is less clear. There seem to be two blade collision points (upper and lower?) and the left side of the solar panel is pushed down 90 degrees. Hard to see anything but a strike by an upper blade segment causing that and Tau's image seems to reveal only the inner section of the blade. Carbon fibre is strong and light but the blade tip speed is around 240mps and the velocity squared dominates in kinetic energy. I may be missing something but the impact outcomes on the blade seem complex, possibly a bend fracture then break at both the bend and the blade root, all at an impressive rotational velocity. Is there a missing part of the blade hiding somewhere?

It can be hard to say or visualize what a copter blade will do when impacting soft substrate at a low angle.
Ginny is down for the count but led a most excellent technology demonstration.

--Bill
rlorenz
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Feb 28 2024, 11:31 PM) *
It can be hard to say or visualize what a copter blade will do when impacting soft substrate at a low angle.

The interaction of the striking blade tip with the sand ripple, and its direct local effects on a composite structure, are indeed not well-constrained.

However, I suspect it is the other blade of that rotor that broke and was flung away. You can see this happen on lots of youtube videos of helicopter crashes, notably those where the blades hit water. The sudden angular deceleration of the rotor causes a huge bending moment at the root of the other blades, which feel strong compulsion from Newton's First Law.......
climber
I didn’t know that Ingenuity was still been collecting data potentially for up to 20 more years :
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-ingenui...goodbye-for-now
john_s
What's not clear from that report is whether Perseverance might retrieve data accumulated so far when, for instance, it passes by Ingenuity on its way back from the rim to Three Forks. Odd that that possibility wasn't mentioned.

John
Explorer1
On the one hand, the transmitter would have to remain functioning by 2028 (if that does indeed become the plan for the sample return), and on the other, perhaps the rover might come back by another route?
If data can actually be gathered for such a long time, it will be a very impressive feat regardless!
stevesliva
The daily plan - one image, engineering data - apparently this can be done for >7000 days w/o running out of memory.

*That* said, it'd be amazing if it would even be long enough for another rover or lander to come within range.

The other point made is... it's all going on the nonvolatile memory chips. So even if it's dead, the flash should tell the tale of however many days it passes, if you can get to it physically. I suspect that would be at least 7000 days. biggrin.gif
tau
Here are two more "very last" pictures of Ingenuity, taken on sol 1138 with Mastcam-Z and on sol 1139 with SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager.
The dark spots to the left of Ingenuity on the other side of the dune are presumably the first touchdown marks.
The lost rotor blade can be seen in the lower part of the SuperCam RMI image.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.