Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ingenuity- Mars 2020 Helicopter
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
James Sorenson
QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 4 2021, 06:52 PM) *
Yikes. Do I see dust on the arrays already...?

There is plenty of slots cut and a gap of atleased 3 or 4 millimeters all around the debris shield. I'm thinking that dust on the panel was blown in through these gaps and slots during landing. There was a significant amount of dust and small pebbles at the bottom of the shield after it was dropped, which I can only fathom being blown in during EDL.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Explorer1
At the live Q and A today team members said the panels are getting all the power they need. No need to worry more than usual!
James Sorenson
Nope, I'm not worried. Just pointing that out. 🙂
Marvin
Here's an image taken from Ingenuity on April 3:

Click to view attachment

NASA's Mars Helicopter Survives First Cold Martian Night on Its Own

Marvin
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Apr 5 2021, 02:41 PM) *
There is plenty of slots cut and a gap of atleased 3 or 4 millimeters all around the debris shield. I'm thinking that dust on the panel was blown in through these gaps and slots during landing. There was a significant amount of dust and small pebbles at the bottom of the shield after it was dropped, which I can only fathom being blown in during EDL.

There was also dust at the bottom of the belly pan when it was dropped:

Click to view attachment

This was cropped from one of Eli's excellent posts.

There may have been dust blown into certain areas during EDL.

My only concerns would be:

1. Was the rover or helicopter damaged?
Doesn't look like it.

2. Could there be contamination of the cache system?
Unlikely, since the tubes are sealed. Besides it's still stuff from Mars.

3. Is there a better way to land a rover this size?
I don't think so.
Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (ChrisC @ Apr 5 2021, 02:29 PM) *
Could you add a "help" button that displays a paragraph of text or something that provides a basic explanation of how to use this?

It is time to do that when I have a chance.
Although the touch interface should work pretty well, the content is probably too heavy for most mobile devices. Chromebooks may work.
Thanks for giving this a try !
ChrisC
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Apr 5 2021, 03:10 PM) *
At the live Q and A today team members said the panels are getting all the power they need. No need to worry more than usual!

Here's that Q+A event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcpI8-S5ZE8

Great to see MiMi Aung again! We hadn't seen her since landing and I was beginning to worry.
neo56
Anaglyphs of Ingenuity made with Navcam pictures taken on sol 44.

Sean
Commencing pre flight check

Prepare For Take Off

M20_00046 Watson
PaulH51
QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 7 2021, 12:31 PM) *

Strange how the Mastcam-Z image is still not on the public server sad.gif
Marvin
It's interesting how that dust/sand is mostly on one side of the helicopter's solar panel.

I wonder if the orange cable bundle acted as a windbreak, causing the deposition on one side of the panel:

Click to view attachment

Not a big deal, the helicopter is getting more than enough power.
fredk
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Apr 7 2021, 10:32 AM) *
Strange how the Mastcam-Z image is still not on the public server

With MSL mastcam the policy was to delay the images 24 hours before they appear on the public "raw" site, as I recall. We were told the policy was the same with M20.
PaulH51
QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 7 2021, 10:32 PM) *
With MSL mastcam the policy was to delay the images 24 hours before they appear on the public "raw" site, as I recall. We were told the policy was the same with M20.

Maybe the M2020 pipeline is still suffering from set up issues. That Mastcam is one of the sol 45 images, it was released across social media and as a photojournal entry but here we are on sol 47 and it's still not in the raw image server. Hopefully they can smooth out any kinks in the pipeline to the raw image server smile.gif
MahFL
Some thumbnails came down showing a rotor blade movement.

Marvin
Perseverance made a large move Eastward this last Sol:

Click to view attachment

It may be moving towards the Van Zyl Overlook, from where it will watch Ingenuity take flight:

Click to view attachment

NASA/JPL have scheduled a Pre-Flight tomorrow and a "Live Broadcast: Mars Helicopter First Test Flight Results" on April 12 12:30 a.m. PDT / 3:30 a.m. EDT.

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/#Watch-Online
marswiggle
Ingenuity in a close-up anaglyph, adjusted and sharpened for convenient viewing.
Ant103
MastcamZ @110mm portrait of Ingenuity. I had to focus stack two frames to avoid depth of field.

neo56
Animation of two Mastcam-Z pictures taken on sol 47. Spinning tests are beginning!

Click to view attachment
eliBonora
Here our anaglyph version

MahFL
Looks like the rotor blades are now unlocked.

neo56
Perseverance rover is now at Van Zyl Overlook viewpoint at 30 m from Van Zyl Overlook viewpoint.
GIF made using Mastcam-Z Left and Right pictures at 110mm focal length (sol 48).

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Simple GIF I assembled with 9 selected thumbnails from 60 thumbnails I found on the image server (these were the only frames that featured activity)
I believe this shows the 50 RPM rotor spin-up, I assume the next test will be the 2400RPM run, prior to the big day.
Click to view attachment
Marvin
Some quick notes from today's pre-flight briefing regarding Ingenuity:

- It is getting enough energy to charge its battery, and should have enough energy for the first flight
- It will lift 4m straight up, then rotate towards the rover and take a picture (and maybe image the rover)
- The rover's ZCAM will attempt to take images and video of the helicopter in flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_IyUdKKXI
djellison
QUOTE (Marvin @ Apr 9 2021, 09:43 AM) *
- It will lift 4m straight up,

I heard 3m.

Importantly for this crowd - there was a strong commitment to keeping the flow of raw images going - and a shout out to the creations people like those in this community are making.
Marvin
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 9 2021, 02:00 PM) *
I heard 3m.

Importantly for this crowd - there was a strong commitment to keeping the flow of raw images going - and a shout out to the creations people like those in this community are making.

Yep, it was 3m. I think when she said the helicopter weighs 4 lbs, the 4 stuck in my head.

I totally agree that the image processing people make this site what it is. The panoramas they create are just jaw dropping. My image processing skills and software are crude at best, so I plan to take a break from posting. But I will be enjoying the wonderful vistas about to unfold.
PaulH51
Sol 49 Mastcam spin up GIF (2400RPM?) Very low res, but we can see some movement of the rotors (maybe there is motion blur at the selected shutter speed?)
Click to view attachment
MoreInput
Just found a very good documentation about the helicopter plans of NASA the next time on Youtube in German: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSEiLLzh34Q

It gives a very comprehensive overview what NASA wants to do with Ingenuity the next days. It also views the flight zone for the helicopter.
The flight zone will be about 90 meters, the start zone about 10x10 meters.
It will fly about 90 seconds, and with a max height of 5 m.

Tom Tamlyn
I'm guessing that the results of this sol's high speed rotation test will start to arrive on earth between 11:00 pm and midnight Pacific time. Does that sound right? I was counting back ~40 minutes from the predicted time for the first flight results Sunday evening.

Edit: This post was incorrect to start with and has now been completely overtaken by events. I suggest that the mods delete it.
nprev
First flight now NET 14 Apr. Looks like a minor software glitch.
ChrisC
QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 10 2021, 02:23 PM) *
First flight now NET 14 Apr. Looks like a minor software glitch.

I deleted the Facebook tracking garbage in the link above. Key quote:

During a high-speed spin test of the rotors on Friday, the command sequence controlling the test ended early due to a “watchdog” timer expiration. This occurred as it was trying to transition the flight computer from ‘Pre-Flight’ to ‘Flight’ mode.
Olympusmonsuk
Looks like we will have to be patient for the test flight.

NASA Mars 2020 blog.

Based on data from the Ingenuity Mars helicopter that arrived late Friday night, NASA has chosen to reschedule the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter’s first experimental flight to no earlier than April 14.

During a high-speed spin test of the rotors on Friday, the command sequence controlling the test ended early due to a “watchdog” timer expiration. This occurred as it was trying to transition the flight computer from ‘Pre-Flight’ to ‘Flight’ mode. The helicopter is safe and healthy and communicated its full telemetry set to Earth.

The watchdog timer oversees the command sequence and alerts the system to any potential issues. It helps the system stay safe by not proceeding if an issue is observed and worked as planned.

The helicopter team is reviewing telemetry to diagnose and understand the issue. Following that, they will reschedule the full-speed test.
Hungry4info
Does anyone have a link to the two images presented in the 09 Apr press conference? The down-looking engineering camera and the forward-facing colour image?
Phil Stooke
Not yet but they should be up soon.
Phil
Art Martin
We just had an update of what's going on with the software glitch they experienced during the high speed blade test. Apparently they will upload a software fix and do a full reboot and testing so the first flight date is "fluid". Here's the link for the story. https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter...-flight-on-mars
Explorer1
Already a a full week is gone; if the 30 days demonstration time is a hard limit before Perseverance has to continue its science mission, some later planned flights probably won't happened?
MahFL
They only need one flight.
Explorer1
True, and and whatever time they need to do it is irreplaceable. Just hoping the "fluid" timelines get nailed down eventually.
neo56
A video taken by Mastcam-Z Left on sol 47 when the blades were unlocked. The frames arrived today, here is a GIF:
Click to view attachment

I had to squeeze the pictures definition to fit with the max upload size, full size video available here.
Greenish
It seems to me both rotors are spinning in same direction - and upper one is wrong direction for lift.
I hope that is not the firmware issue! If so, would raise some fairly fundamental questions... huh.gif
PaulH51
QUOTE (Greenish @ Apr 15 2021, 10:18 AM) *
It seems to me both rotors are spinning in same direction - and upper one is wrong direction for lift.
I hope that is not the firmware issue! If so, would raise some fairly fundamental questions... huh.gif

Both blades had to be spun in the same direction to unlock them. See this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/exploreplanets/status/1...430765095346179
Greenish
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Apr 14 2021, 09:32 PM) *
Both blades had to be spun in the same direction to unlock them. See this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/exploreplanets/status/1...430765095346179

Makes sense now, thanks.
MarkL
I had to squeeze the pictures definition to fit with the max upload size, full size video available here.

There are a lot of video compression artifacts in that full size video.
djellison
QUOTE (MarkL @ Apr 15 2021, 06:59 AM) *
There are a lot of video compression artifacts in that full size video.

Have you compared it to the original images?
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020-raw-images/p...1_110050J01.png
Blue Sky
While a "watchdog" timeout can mean that a tolerance was set too tight, it can also mean a hardware failure, such as a movement limit switch not being hit when it should have. Some of these errors can be worked around remotely, but others can't. We dopn't know what the exact timeout was.
djellison
QUOTE (Blue Sky @ Apr 15 2021, 10:45 AM) *
We dopn't know what the exact timeout was.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1382399592449314816

That series of QnA explained what happened. It wasn't a hardware failure.
ChrisC
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 15 2021, 04:27 PM) *
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1382399592449314816
That series of QnA explained what happened. It wasn't a hardware failure.

Those Q+A video snippets were actually very useful! Good questions, good answers. Thanks!
MarkL
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 15 2021, 04:22 PM) *
Have you compared it to the original images?

Blocky. Highly compressed. Not sure why - is it distance to Ingenuity?
djellison
QUOTE (MarkL @ Apr 16 2021, 07:24 AM) *
Highly compressed. Not sure why...

Because it's highly compressed.
Explorer1
Full speed spin test went well!
https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter...flight-on-mars/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.