Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perseverance - Early Drives
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (Ryan Kinnett @ Apr 19 2021, 03:57 AM) *
.. starting on sol 50 and repeated on 52, 56, and 57. Remarkably, there appears to be at least one dust devil in each sequence! I wrote a little thread about this, ...

Thanks, very nice. I thought I had seen a dust devil on the delta before. Perhaps it will become possible to determine if there is a time of day when conditions are favorable.
eliBonora
The panorama before history ...
Sean
The Latest View of Mars from Perseverance Rover Mission Sol 57

Click the image below to see the 7 minute video made from MastcamZ L images...

denoise / repair / grade / upscale

OrbitrapInSpace
QUOTE (eliBonora @ Apr 17 2021, 05:50 PM) *
Looking at the ground …

I am puzzled by the greenish material on the surface of the stone in the middle of that picture.
copper oxyde? this would be a very pure ore
fredk
QUOTE (OrbitrapInSpace @ Apr 19 2021, 06:46 PM) *
I am puzzled by the greenish material on the surface of the stone in the middle of that picture.
That image is pretty heavily processed so I don't know if you can trust the hues.
John Moore
The only reason why 'fracturing' might be the possible process was of similar-like effects in the view; that may not be wind-erosional related.

John

Phil Stooke
" I thought I had seen a dust devil on the delta before."
A dust devil was captured on the delta during the descent - check that EDL thread.
Phil

Nix
QUOTE (OrbitrapInSpace @ Apr 19 2021, 07:46 PM) *
copper oxyde? this would be a very pure ore

That image doesn't qualify for validation of true color hues.
I don't even see greenish hues.
Have you checked your monitor RGB settings (calibration)?
Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 19 2021, 10:54 PM) *
" I thought I had seen a dust devil on the delta before."
A dust devil was captured on the delta during the descent - check that EDL thread.
Phil

Thanks, that was it: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=251440
https://twitter.com/stim3on/status/1379575241970683908?s=20
Sean
M20 00057 MZL denoise, repair, grade, rescale

Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 19 2021, 02:17 AM) *
There's something happening at the right edge as well... I can't see well enough in the GIF to tell if there are in fact several dust devils, but that's my impression.

Yes, I think that is another one Ryan had noticed in his thread:

https://twitter.com/rover_18/status/1384046421834272772
https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/EzUAoEWUYAAF74E.mp4 (Twitter does seem to like linking to single posts ?)
neo56
Panorama taken with Mastcam-Z Left on sol 57 at 10:50am LMST.
It's worth exploring it on this gigapan link!

Edit: a version with the sky extended.

vikingmars
QUOTE (Sean @ Apr 20 2021, 06:19 PM) *
M20 00057 MZL denoise, repair, grade, rescale

Thanks a lot Sean for this very nice work of yours... and for this lovely scenery.
Yes indeed, MSL gives us a lot of work for image processing, but it worths it when we see your results.
I'll do my iown 'interpretation' when I have some time to spare.
Thanks again so much smile.gif
Thorsten Denk
Moxie works!
The first time that an ISRU technology was tested on another planet!
6 grams of oxygen within one hour.
Enough for 1/6 human. cool.gif

NASA’s Perseverance Mars Rover Extracts First Oxygen from Red Planet

Thorsten
Ant103
I think we have a start of a huge MastcamZ @110mm panoramic. The result will be dizzy !

Here a tiny fragment of this panoramic, taken on Sol 57.

Part "two", Sol 59 :

charborob
Sol 63 SuperCam:
Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (charborob @ Apr 24 2021, 11:35 PM) *
Sol 63 SuperCam:

Nice. This makes it much easier to analyse this SuperCam series of the outlier.
neo56
RMI/SuperCam mosaic taken on sol 63, and into context with a Mastcam-Z Left view:

Gladstoner
Some scale for perspective:

Click to view attachment

The vertical ledge is about 15 meters, or 50 feet in height. The 'astronaut' is 6 feet tall. (image credit to neo56 in the post above.)

These dimensions are derived from the scale used on the Perseverance landing site map at https://mars.nasa.gov/maps/location/?mission=M20 :

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
Thin afternoon clouds are seen close to the Sun in those Sol 64 NavCam images. Enjoy smile.gif
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PaulH51
A drive in sol 65, as seen in this R-Hazcam image (site: 3 / drive: 2150)
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Yes indeed - see the new route map. Maybe 8 or 10 m southeast. his is a very rough partial circular panorama, good enough to find the location.
Phil
Click to view attachment
MarkL
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 27 2021, 03:25 AM) *
... Maybe 8 or 10 m southeast.
Click to view attachment

To get a wider view of the airfield perhaps?
Art Martin
Latest Ingenuity image

So after seeing this image, tell me the move wasn't simply to get a more stunning backdrop for images of the helicopter.
James Sorenson
The Sol-65 Navcam post-drive pan.

Polar
Phil Stooke
Very nice! Thanks... and here is a circular version. This juxtaposition shows very nicely the difference in radial scale between the polar projection and what I call 'circular'. They start from the same place but get projected differently.
Phil
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Another drive: Sol 66, SSE.
L-Navcam (Site 3 Drive 2208) Nice looking workspace for the RA.
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
I'm going back to earlier Sol's to do some of the more the interesting Navcam pan's. Here is the Pan from Sol-44 with Ingenuity. I spent some time on this one because it is special. smile.gif

Polar

Phil Stooke
A rough pan for sol 66 after another short drive to the southeast. This goes outside my map so i will revert to a small scale map for a bit while I plan coverage again (mapping in real time is a bit tricky).
Phil
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
The Sol-66 post-drive Navcam Pan.

Polar
Andreas Plesch
So much to look at !

I came across this close-up from sol 66 which caught my attention because of the relation between pebbles, sand ripples and pediment:

Finer pebbles are covering the wind formed ripple, probably due to subtraction of finer grain sections by wind erosion. But at some point the pebbles appear to have been transported by stronger winds as well to help form the ripple. Another, very speculative explanation may be that the fine pebbles formed in situ, by an accretion, condensation like process, from dust, but without water it is hard to conceive of such a process (tiny forces from frictional electrostatics ?).

In addition there are these darker dimples we have seen previously. They appear on both sides of the ripple but are harder to see on the shaded sight due to lighting. I think this site is still too close to the landing area to exclude blasting or fine debris during descent as explanations.

Then there are coarser pebbly fragments which seem to weather out of the pediment, or perhaps just have collected in the small depression together with fine dust. There is not a clear link between fine pebbles and coarser pebbles since they appear pretty strictly separated from each other. The small pebbles also tend to collect and be preserved in small, wind protected depression and pockets.

Do we know what kind of grain size and particle mass can be wind transported ? Since rather massive dunes have been observed to migrate, pebbles of this size do not seem out of the question with a heavier storm.

I guess I was most intrigued by the pebble covered ripple.
Saturns Moon Titan
Click to view attachment

We have a new update about the rover's next few months! Source: the "News Update on Ingenuity Mars Helicopter's Next Steps" NASA press conference, at around the 24 minute mark.

The Perseverance team has decided the location of their first scientific campaign. The red zone is the area they'll be exploring for the next "couple hundred" sols, and they hope to take perhaps 3 or 4 rock samples. They believe the rocks here represent the oldest material of the cratest floor, and expect to sample mudstones from the bottom of the lake which are of high preservation potential. They've identified a safe "corridor" they can drive through (sand dunes on one side, boulders on the other). Ingenuity will be coming along on the journey, with a new ops demo phase focused on supporting (but not intefering with) Perseverance's science mission. Two ways they mentioned were taking photos of interesting targets in areas inaccessible to the rover, and making DEMs that will aid the rover's traverse.
atomoid
interesting linear feature trailing to the top of the hill to the northeast as seen sol68
Hard to say if a dust devil hoovered a clean track as it ascended up the peak or if it instead represents a fault line.crosseye view.
Click to view attachment
nprev
Exciting news re the first science leg, to say nothing of the fact that Ingenuity will indeed be a participant in it! Once this begins we will begin a new thread for the journey.
James Sorenson
The Sol-68 Navcam pan of the horizon. smile.gif

HSchirmer
QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Apr 28 2021, 10:39 PM) *
Another, very speculative explanation may be that the fine pebbles formed in situ, by an accretion, condensation like process, from dust, but without water it is hard to conceive of such a process (tiny forces from frictional electrostatics ?).
Interesting possibility "Martian dust bunnies"
IIRC about a year ago, somebody published a paper on van der waals forces and the electro-static growth of dust bunnies...

It would be roughly analogous to flocculation in an aqueous solution - energy minimization because a clump has a lower surface to volume ratio - e.g. the reason cheerios clump together in milk, and the reason that ice cubes in an insulated cup form one-giant cube. In a steady state system where forward and backward phase changes are at equilibrium, the controlling factor is the surface area.

Tangent - Wow, hadn't really thought this through before, but with the low pressure on Mars, most of the phase changes will be solid-gas: sublimation and deposition. which is VERY dependent on surface area. Since CO2 is non-polar, a dry ice frost would provide a temporary non-polar van der waals "adhesive' to bring dust molecules together. H20 is polar, so that form of frost would be expected to form a hydration shell (even when frozen) which IIRC actually amplifies the charge of the underlying material
Pando
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Apr 27 2021, 06:07 PM) *
I'm going back to earlier Sol's to do some of the more the interesting Navcam pan's. Here is the Pan from Sol-44 with Ingenuity. I spent some time on this one because it is special. smile.gif

QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Apr 27 2021, 08:40 PM) *
The Sol-66 post-drive Navcam Pan.
Polar

Absolutely amazing work, James.
Phil Stooke
Atomoid: "interesting linear feature trailing to the top of the hill to the northeast as seen sol68"
It looked exactly the same on sol 4. Here is a contrast-stretched version of that image -looks like a topographic feature to me. Possibly a fault.
Phil
Click to view attachment
serpens
QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Apr 28 2021, 10:39 PM) *
Finer pebbles are covering the wind formed ripple, probably due to subtraction of finer grain sections by wind erosion. But at some point the pebbles appear to have been transported by stronger winds as well to help form the ripple. Another, very speculative explanation may be that the fine pebbles formed in situ, by an accretion, condensation like process, from dust, but without water it is hard to conceive of such a process (tiny forces from frictional electrostatics .

......I guess I was most intrigued by the pebble covered ripple.

The more mundane explanation is that these are particles too heavy to saltate in the current environment but are able to creep. So they cover the trailing edge of the ripple and then progress slowly up, armoring and starving it.

Edit: A good example of this was Serpent dune scooped and imaged by Spirit. https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/press/spi.../20040319a.html
Ant103
Sol 68 Navcam pan. I think this is the first picture ever showing the whole martian sky in color.

Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (serpens @ May 2 2021, 07:00 PM) *
The more mundane explanation is that these are particles too heavy to saltate in the current environment but are able to creep. So they cover the trailing edge of the ripple and then progress slowly up, armoring and starving it.

Edit: A good example of this was Serpent dune scooped and imaged by Spirit. https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/press/spi.../20040319a.html

Thanks. A nice example showing how the pea shaped grains form a single layer of armor on top of the dune, and are not part of the interior. The article does not really talk about how the peas get to the top of the dune. Some transport leading to an even distribution is necessary if we discount the in-situ formation option (interesting to relate to dust bunnies; in fact, quite a bit of dust on earth originates from space as far as I recall). Any evidence of grains creeping up the slope does not appear to be preserved, however.
Nix
QUOTE (Ant103 @ May 4 2021, 11:05 AM) *
Sol 68 Navcam pan. I think this is the first picture ever showing the whole martian sky in color.

I was thinking the same. It's quite a view!
I was thrilled seeing the Sun that low in the images in James' work earlier.

Deimos
I'm a fan of this, but it relies on the assumption of azimuthal homogeneity when the Sun is directly overhead.

The Perseverance sequence in question was previously run on sols 16 and 64 and one might expect it to be common during cloudy season. I know the Navcam color is challenging, but how did the sky end up green?
Ant103
I don't know. I did a bit of level adjustments (just a bit). But I really can't tell when something is green, because I have dichromacy, so when it's about greens, I can't really see them.
You know, when I think the colors are off, I do a color sample of a pixel, I have the RGB profile. I forgot to do it on this one.

Edit : picture replaced with a better one (I guess).
vikingmars
QUOTE (Ant103 @ May 4 2021, 12:05 PM) *

CONGRATULATIONS Damia : you did a world premiere indeed with this remarkable work of yours showing us a real martian sky hemisphere !
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
neo56
Stitching Navcam panoramas is really fun, that's great to have color panoramas compared to Curiosity.
I added here a synthetic sky so that the panorama is compatible with VR apps like RoundMe.

tau
Here is my attempt to combine multispectral images into one RGB image applying principal component analysis and some transformations in color space.
I used raw images that were taken on sol 69 by the left Mastcam-Z camera (filters 1 to 6, and RGB channels from filter 0).

Click to view attachment
Andreas Plesch
That looks great, highlighting the contrast between the sediments of outlier, the blocky rocks and the dunes.

Here is my attempt of PCA using the multispectral imaging of the other part of the delta, cropped to focus on and analyze a particular area which has dunes, blocks, talus, sediments and crater rim:

Click to view attachment

I am using the right ZCAM bands (EBY), plus the right RGB (left panel). I am discarding the first and second principal components because they seem to pick up mostly variance of lighting which dominates in general. The center panel shows PCs 3,4 and 5 as RGB, and the right panel PCs 5,6 and 7. Even in the least important PCs the two layers of the sediments of the delta outcrop are distinct, as well as the two dunes in foreground, pointing perhaps at actual mineralogical differences. I tried some experiments with Subtract and Divide modes of band layers, but this would have to be done very carefully.

For tools, I am using gimp and qgis with grass which has a pca module since I have that handy, all free.
tau
QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ May 11 2021, 06:15 AM) *
... I am discarding the first and second principal components because they seem to pick up mostly variance of lighting which dominates in general. ...

Yes, the first principal component is dominated by the variance of lighting. I consider this an advantage and use it in my pca images because it shows the objects and shapes of the Martian landscape and serves as a visual scaffold for the calculated colors.

It is somewhat more difficult to compute satisfactory pca images from the infrared channels of the right eye of Mastcam-Z. Especially near the edges of the photos, the variations between the filter flatfields are in some places stronger than the variations of the infrared spectrum of the Martian landscape itself. Therefore, I have used only the inner portion of the infrared photos here. The distant remnant (inselberg, outlier) of the delta deposit stands out with intense blue color. Interestingly, there is a color difference between foreground (A, with "bluish" stones) and middle ground (B, with "golden" stones), which is not so visible in the original RGB photo and in the pca image of the left camera eye. The parallax in the photos taken with the left and right Mastcam Z-eyes allows calculation of the distances from the rover to the visible boundaries of areas A and B on sol 69. What looks like a contiguous crater floor in the original RGB photo, actually has a hidden area between A and B of about 300 meters. Transferring the calculated distances into an orbiter photo, the different spectral colors get an explanation. Area A is the edge of the basaltic floor unit, and B is the lower etched unit in an erosional window.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachmentThe two gray rays delimit the lateral field of view of the entire original photo, not of the inner part shown above.

tau
By mistake, I put a wrong sol number in two filenames of my previous post, sorry for that. Correctly, it should be sol 69.

Here is a multispectral principal components image of sol 46, Mastcam-Z left eye, filters 0 (RGB) and 1 to 6.
The principal components 1, 5, and 6 were selected for this synthetic image.
Obviously, those shiny yellow pieces differ in chemical or mineralogical composition from the basaltic crater floor.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.