Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perseverance - Early Drives
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Andreas Plesch
https://bit.ly/PercyMAP was updated to include a transparent, 5m tall flight zone. It is currently affected by vertical exaggeration along with the topography.

Little Ingenuity is ca. at the center of the designated airfield, 4m above ground.

Click to view attachment
xflare
Possible meteorite?

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/r...AM03108_1100LUJ
Phil Stooke
Maybe! It's the same one noted earlier but seen more clearly. Get that laser on it!
Phil
PaulH51
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 29 2021, 03:12 PM) *
Maybe! It's the same one noted earlier but seen more clearly. Get that laser on it!
Phil

It's the same one. they imaged it with a suite of filters, those that know how to interpret those may likely already know if it's Fe-Ni.
My hat is still on the table for eating, but I think I'm safe smile.gif
EDIT: James Sorenson just told me to look closer at the image. It's already been zapped with SuperCam smile.gif
djellison
QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Mar 28 2021, 09:25 AM) *
Perhaps this sequence was also a test for imaging Ingenuity from the overlook, rapidly and with a wide aspect ratio.

It was 5 x 3 dust devil survey. You don't need wide angle to film Ingenuity - they'll be parked >100m away and it's only going 5m high.

Andreas Plesch
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 29 2021, 09:43 AM) *
It was 5 x 3 dust devil survey. You don't need wide angle to film Ingenuity - they'll be parked >100m away and it's only going 5m high.

Ah, good to know there are such dust devil surveys, especially when they are successful. I think the distance from the Van Zyl overlook to the airfield is about 60m. Would such a distance require a wider than normal field of view for a full length flight down the flight zone ? Certainly not for the initial up and down flights.
fredk
The 60m length of the flight zone would subtend around 37 deg from Van Zyl, so easily within the 96 deg horizontal FOV of navcam but outside the max 25.6 deg for MCZ (though with a 2.3 deg toe-in between L and R I guess you could push that a bit).
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 27 2021, 07:23 PM) *
I imagine that if you lay on the ground and the rover rolled over you you would pick up the sound pretty well. Not that I recommend it.

We'd probably not hear the crunches, splinters and squishes from that over the usual assortment of clangs, sproings, crunches and whirs from the Rover. wink.gif

--Bill
Sean
MastcamZ L+R Sol 36

Antdoghalo
QUOTE (xflare @ Mar 29 2021, 03:03 AM) *

It looks so shiny like Heat Shield Rock! Can we stuff a piece of it into a tube?
Explorer1
Sadly, no.
There's a reason the MERs never used the RAT on the various metallic meteorites they found; the sparks would have flown! I doubt Perseverance's coring instrument was rated for anything particularly hard; the samples worth collecting are going to be much softer types.

This is also a demonstration of the difference in impact flux between Earth and Mars; every mobile surface mission has come across several during their travels. A combination of the thin atmosphere and being on the asteroid belt's inner edge. Even Antarctica can't compete for meteorite hunting.....
Bill Harris
I'd suspect that Rovers have found frequent meteorites because the iron meteorites would tend to be more resistant to chemical and physical weathering, as well aeolian erosion, than the basalt or weakly cemented sedimentary rocks typically present on Mars.
john_s
Also, erosion rates are much slower on Mars so the surfaces are much older than any terrestrial surface, and have just had more time to accumulate meteorites.

John
fredk
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Apr 1 2021, 05:26 AM) *
sparks would have flown!

And I think they'd need a stable target to drill into anyway, not a loose rock.
Marvin
Time to check the wheels!

Well, it's been 39 Sols, and although the rover hasn't really travelled that much, how are the wheels holding up?

Well, very well indeed.

The only obvious anomalies I found are highlighted. The yellow circled area seems to show some "scuff marks". The yellow rectangle shows some loss of the outer layer.

There is also a good sized rock in the wheel (arrow), which as someone previously mentioned, should get polished nicely:

Click to view attachment

Here's a blowup of the scuff marks:

Click to view attachment

All things considered, there's not much to complain about.

Original image
PDP8E
Hi Marvin,
I think that the 'scuff marks' are just the underlying color of the wheel (blackish)
There appears to be a very fine layer of Mars dust clinging to the wheel (except for the scuff marks and such that you point out)

Note the color of the near-pristine wheels on the sky-crane:
Click to view attachment

And the almost-pristine wheels after landing (note the black color on top and the red/brown dust clinging to the bottom of the wheel):
Click to view attachment

By the time Percy rolls around, the wheel appears all rusty red-brownish (your images)

That rock will surely get tumbled wheel.gif and probably stay in the wheel -- the fine dust may get blown out dd.gif -- eventually -- maybe

MahFL
Nothing exposed is pristine after a dynamic landing on dusty Mars...
Marvin
QUOTE (PDP8E @ Apr 1 2021, 05:06 PM) *
I think that the 'scuff marks' are just the underlying color of the wheel (blackish)
There appears to be a very fine layer of Mars dust clinging to the wheel (except for the scuff marks and such that you point out)

Interesting how the fine dust sticks to things.

Thanks for the feedback.

MahFL
QUOTE (Marvin @ Apr 1 2021, 10:20 PM) *
Interesting how the fine dust sticks to things.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's also thought Martian dust is electrostatically charged which also helps it stick to surfaces.
eliBonora
Sol 38

and its anaglyph

ChrisC
QUOTE (eliBonora @ Apr 2 2021, 11:45 AM) *
and its anaglyph

Yes! Thank you! In the early days of the mission, I looked all over for some red-green anaglyphs that I could use for sharing with colleagues (on my office door, glasses provided), and had given up. This one is great!
Blue Sky
QUOTE (MahFL @ Apr 1 2021, 10:13 PM) *
It's also thought Martian dust is electrostatically charged which also helps it stick to surfaces.

I am pretty sure that the constant bombardment by solar radiation and ultraviolet light would do that by stripping electrons off the top layer.
fredk
Supercam images showing up now:
neo56
What a pleasure to play with color RMI (Supercam) images! Here pictures focused on the delta, taken on sol 26 with Mastcam-Z for context:

eliBonora
A detail of the meteorite (or what it looks like)
Phil Stooke
This is the sol 43 panorama in circular form.
Phil
Click to view attachment
charborob
Sol 38 anaglyph view of the debris shield lying on the Martian surface. Part of the belly pan is also visible behind a rock a bit to the right.
Click to view attachment
JRehling
The greatest factor hindering meteorite detection on Earth is that meteorites often blend into the scenery. This is why Antarctica and certain deserts are attractive places to look for them and much of the terrain of Earth makes meteorite hunting very difficult. This is why iron meteorites are discovered at a much greater rate than stony ones, relative to their intrinsic abundance, and why – as I read relatively recently – no martian meteorites have ever been discovered in Europe or North America (perhaps this is also true of South America).

So, Mars makes for a good place for lots of meteorites to stand out.
Phil Stooke
There was a very small move on sol 44, really just a turn in place to reveal Ingenuity, which was hidden by the back of the rover at the end of soil 43.

Phil
Phil Stooke
This is the view on sol 44 showing the effect of the turn in place.
Phil
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Sol 45 Selfie roughly assembled / processed preview.
The full version will be EPIC smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Ant103
A part of the first self-portrait :

Sean
How You Doin'?
neo56
Good work! I add my contribution with the identification of the different instruments/cameras on the head and part of the mast, and a GIF.
SuperCam points to where the green laser (Raman spectroscopy) is emitted.

Click to view attachment
MahFL
A stone seems to be stuck onto the wheel, casting quite a shadow. I wonder if it penetrated the wheel skin ?

djellison
QUOTE (MahFL @ Apr 6 2021, 09:49 PM) *
A stone seems to be stuck onto the wheel

Are you talking about that Watson sensor crud that's in every Watson image?
djellison
Sol 46 Selfie with chopper
Sean
Until We Meet Again
MahFL
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 7 2021, 06:05 AM) *
Are you talking about that Watson sensor crud that's in every Watson image?

It seems so... huh.gif
Ant103
Sol 46 full Watson mosaic. A very nice (and maybe cute ?) scenery smile.gif

Edit to add the Postcard version :

Explorer1
The helicopter, the rover, the landing site scour marks, the tracks.... best panorama of the mission so far! Well done all!
neo56
Really nice work Sean and Damia!
Here is my take:

And a GIF with the two orientations of the head:

Click to view attachment
Marvin
When I saw this image of the turret from Sol 46, I noticed that on the right side, below the white rectangular PIXL is a grey ball!

What is it?

Click to view attachment

Just in case you were also wondering, it's part of a tool designed to remove dust from abraded surfaces for better imaging. It's called gDRT, which stands for Gas Dust Removal Tool.

The ball itself is a suppy tank that holds nitrogen which is expelled from a nozzle (just below the ball in the above image):

Click to view attachment

Here is the before and after of gDRT in action when tested on Earth:

Click to view attachment

Source
rlorenz
QUOTE (Blue Sky @ Apr 3 2021, 10:05 AM) *
I am pretty sure that the constant bombardment by solar radiation and ultraviolet light would do that by stripping electrons off the top layer.

Photoelectron emission is indeed likely to be important at the Martian surface. There's another effect which I wonder might be important, namely ionization by radiation from the MMRTG. It would enhance the electrical conductivity of the atmosphere around the rover, allowing charges to dissipate faster, and thus I could imagine the charging of solar-powered landers (and perhaps dust adhesion) could be different from radioisotope-powered ones. Havent seen any evidence to that effect, though - difficult to separate the geographical variation of dust deposition/removal from any possible systematic variation with lander power type.
Ryan Kinnett
Here's my first submission, a slightly dramatic stretch of the sol 46 self portrait.

eliBonora
Here, our version of the selfie (we prefer when Perseverance looks into the camera!)

PaulH51
Before driving away on sol 47, Perseverance captured what appears to be the unlocking of the rotors
2 frame L-Mstcam-Z GIF
Click to view attachment
nogal
Nice closeup!
Dust is already accumulating on the solar panel. Hopefully the flight will shake it off. Another experiment...
Fernando
fredk
QUOTE (nogal @ Apr 8 2021, 11:28 AM) *
Dust is already accumulating on the solar panel.

That dust looks consistent with the first images, so probably squeezed in during landing - see the helicopter thread discussion.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Sean @ Apr 6 2021, 10:17 PM) *
Until We Meet Again

Is this you?

https://www.space.com/mars-rover-perseveran...ingenuity-photo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.