Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape Tribulation
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
jvandriel
The Panoramic views on Sol 3909.

Jan van Driel

Navcam
Click to view attachment

Pancam
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Fantastic scenery! Here's a circular view from the 3909 location, from Jan's pan.

Phil

Click to view attachment
atomoid
smectacular!
eoincampbell
Can't wait to see Spirit of St. Louis crater just over that ridge, and a closer look at it's curious lonely 'rock' ... blink.gif
jvandriel
Here is the complete Navcam panoramic view taken on Sol 3909 and Sol 3910.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the road ahead in this Navcam L0 view on Sol 3911.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Jan 25 2015, 02:32 PM) *
Here is the complete Navcam panoramic view taken on Sol 3909 and Sol 3910. Jan van Driel

Thanks a lot Jan for this nice panoramic view.
Thanks to it, I can now really feel that we are in a new part of the mission : Cape York is now far away and hidden by Cape Tribulation for good (at least until we reach the next summit...) smile.gif
MoreInput
Something different: Since yesterday the science article "Ancient Aqueous Environments
at Endeavour Crater, Mars" (from January 2014) is accessible for everyone: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/343/6169/1248097.full.pdf.
(You can register for free to get access this and older science articles. Every article older than one year can be read. I think that's fair.).
* Investigation of Matijevic Hill
* Espérance

Abstract:
"Opportunity has investigated in detail rocks on the rim of the Noachian age Endeavour crater, where
orbital spectral reflectance signatures indicate the presence of Fe +3 -rich smectites. The signatures
are associated with fine-grained, layered rocks containing spherules of diagenetic or impact
origin. The layered rocks are overlain by breccias, and both units are cut by calcium sulfate vein
precipitated from fluids that circulated after the Endeavour impact. Compositional data for fractures
in the layered rocks suggest formation of Al-rich smectites by aqueous leaching. Evidence is
thus preserved for water-rock interactions before and after the impact, with aqueous environment
of slightly acidic to circum-neutral pH that would have been more favorable for prebiotic chemistry
and microorganisms than those recorded by younger sulfate-rich rocks at Meridiani Planum.""
jvandriel
The Panoramic views on Sol 3912.

Jan van Driel

Navcam
Click to view attachment

Pancam
Click to view attachment

jvandriel
The Navcam L0 Panoramic view stitched together from images taken on Sol 3911-3913.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3915.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Pancam L1 panoramic view on Sol 3915.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
What a gorgeous place to visit !
Yum ! Yum ! (for Geologists) smile.gif
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The views on Sol 3916.

Jan van Driel

Navcam
Click to view attachment

Pancam
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The complete Navcam L0 panoramic view taken on Sol 3916 and Sol 3917.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Great - and here's the latest of Jan's panoramas in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3918.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The views on Sol 3919.

Jan van Driel

Navcam
Click to view attachment

Pancam
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam Panoramic view on Sol 3919 and 3920.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Feb 3 2015, 05:39 PM) *
The Navcam Panoramic view on Sol 3919 and 3920. Jan van Driel

Thanks a lot Jan !
I hope that Oppy will climb close the summit of the rocky outcrops at left to get a global view of Marathon Valley before roving inside it... smile.gif
charborob
Sol 3921 pancam anaglyph:
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The views on Sol 3921.

Jan van Driel

Navcam
Click to view attachment

Pancam
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Sol 3921 Pancams in colour

Phil Stooke
Very nice!

Before Opportunity entered Endurance crater, back in the upper Jurassic, and before it entered Victoria, it took stereo images from the rim to help plan the entry and activities. So did Spirit, looking down into the Inner Basin from Husband Hill. So it's quite possible that we will see some stereo imaging of Marathon Valley from a good vantage point - especially its southern side, where north-facing slopes might be needed next winter. Right now we can see down into Endeavour, not into the valley, so it can't be done from the current location.

Phil
MarkG
So, in this area of the rim and into Marathon Valley, are we looking at uptilted rock layers, overturned rock layers (more fragmented), or piled gobs of chunks oriented every which way?

(From the standpoint of the Endeavor impact. That impactor slammed into terrain that was a mix already, but given that.... what part of the crater rim structure are we amidst?)
jvandriel
The complete Navcam L0 Panoramic view taken on Sol 3921 and Sol 3922.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
dvandorn
One thing I'll note -- the craters we're seeing up here on the upper slopes of Tribulation look like they have regular rock ejecta. The craters down on the plains, and in the lower units, had that quick-eroding evaporite that would crack and make the entire crater, rim and ejecta and all, look like it was put together from mosaic pieces. You don't see that in and around the craters up here.

It'll be interesting to see when the craters resume that mosaiced appearance.

-the other Doug
Floyd
Our location is very exciting. Phil's map makes it look like Opportunity may be driving to an overlook ridge to get a great view into Marathon Valley---what a panorama. Phil, on the map thread I think it would be great if you could extend your map 0.2 or 0.3 km to the south and 0.1 or 0.2 km to the east so we can see where we are going... unsure.gif
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Phil Stooke
I'm preparing a new map base now, but these maps are designed to fit pages in a book, and can't be extended randomly.

Phil

centsworth_II
While we're waiting, here's Phil's route map dropped onto a crop of Larry Crumpler's map from his blog.
Click to view attachment
algorithm
PanCam anaglyph from Sol3923

Some interesting terrain dead ahead.

Click to view attachment
algorithm
L2,5,7 view from Sol 3921

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
It may be obvious but in case it isn't, we can now see Spirit of St Louis very nicely.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3923.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

charborob
Sol 3923 pancam (wider view):
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I did a quick circular pan, combining the images from Jan and Charborob, to locate us on sol 3923.

Phil

Click to view attachment
algorithm
Left NavCam rear view from Sol 3925

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 panoramic view on Sol 3925.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Navcam L0 view on Sol 3926.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And a quick circular version of the 3926 pan. I'm not convinced we can reach a good viewpoint into the valley. If I had to speculate, I would say we will turn southwest and then southeast again to get to Spirit of St. Louis.

Phil

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Into the abyss- http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...UBP2361R2M1.JPG

What made Marathon valley? Any ideas?
craigmcg
ustrax where are you?
Explorer1
Now that's a view. Very close to the entrance now...
charborob
Sol 3927 pancam anaglyph:
Click to view attachment

I can't make a complete pancam panorama because images are missing for the moment.
atomoid
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment what made Marathon? holey moley it was the Horta!
Astro0
Now that's a view that's only going to get more spectacular smile.gif

Click to view attachment
d'oh! typo in the caption...it's Marathon Valley of course.

Can't wait to see the colour view (hint James) wink.gif
jamescanvin
I posted the left most frame to Twitter last night.

Click to view attachment

However the next one to the right was missing so I didn't post the rest of the mosaic. I'll see what I can do later now that has been (mostly) filled in.
jvandriel
The complete Navcam L0 panoramic view stitched together from images
taken on Sol 3926 and Sol 3927.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Floyd
Some impressive erratics left by the melting of the last glacier covering this region rolleyes.gif

Possibly there are other explanations...

fredk
Thanks Astro0 and James for the stunning views. For context, here's what we're seeing, comparing the view from higher up at 3906 with an orbital view from GM (not sure why the colour table is messed up). Like-coloured circles are identified:
Click to view attachment
The spectacular gulley in James's colour view is circled in white and looks surprisingly subtle in the orbital view. It's an offshoot from Marathon Valley proper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.