Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape Tribulation
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
marsophile
Anyone know why no images have been posted to the JPL or Exploratorium sites since Sep 25?
Does some server need to be restarted?
fredk
All I can say is Oppy is still active - both the pancam database (via James Canvin) and the Oppy weather site show tau calibration images and other activities up to 3798.
serpens
Images are available up to 30 September showing Oppy's mountain climbing skills.
Phil Stooke
The JPL status report says there have been some more flash memory 'amnesia' events (after the reformat job). That may be behind the delays.

Phil

jvandriel
Here is the complete Navcam panoramic view on Sol 3798.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here is a trio of circular views from Jan's recent pans, showing how Opportunity approached the rim of Ulysses, climbed up to it, and then backed off again. The radial scaling function I have used differs a bit between these views, but if you concentrate on the central part you can see what the rover is doing.

Phil

sol 3789:
Click to view attachment

sol 3791:
Click to view attachment

sol 3798:
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The MI Cam view on Sol 3795.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
seems theyre taking a look at this little sol3800 chip below the stacked rocks yestersol (parrellel)
Click to view attachment
fredk
Lots of detail on the latest flash problems in the latest PS update. From Squyres:
We still have some bad locations in Flash. It does slow us down a little bit, but the situation [in September] is dramatically improved from what it was before the reformatting. Right now, we have several approaches and are currently assessing what we're going to do
charborob
Pancam images from sol 3793 have come down recently. I assembled them into this panorama:
Click to view attachment
brellis
Looks like a nice rock-stack Buddha sculpture in the upper right-center. huh.gif
Burmese
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 5 2014, 07:55 PM) *
Lots of detail on the latest flash problems in the latest PS update. From Squyres:

Since they seem to think all the errors are occurring in bank 7, what about temporarily disabling bank 7 and run that some weeks to see if things clear up? If they do, may have to leave it that way - if they still get errors then they at least know the problem is deeper.

Alternatve would seem to be multiple formats to catch 'iffy' spots, which are even more time consuming
Gerald
The current strategy is, IIRC, to activate a tracer for bank 7 access, to get more detail about the root cause. Relation to bank 7 seems to be likely enough to go that way, first.
eoincampbell
With Oppy's team of flash detectives also soliciting help from former Ricoh employees and their relevant paperwork, I'm sure the issue will be fully understood soon..
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3805.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Ulysses Crater as seen by the L2 Pancam on Sol 3793.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Added a few images and here is the complete Pancam L2 view of
Ulysses Crater taken on Sol 3793.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3817.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
Yikes - tau is really climbing, up to 1.75 on 3820. Not terribly unusual this time of year. But for the comet observations on 3817 tau was 1.2. Had this jump in dust happened a few sols earlier we may have seen nothing at all of the comet.

I don't recall seeing Endeavour this dusty - the far rim almost disappears in these navcams:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol3820
fredk
Up to 1.91 on 3822. The latest MSSS weather report says storms were not yet over Meridiani (or Gale), as of 6 days ago.
brellis
Re: the view of Endeavour on Post #169 - I continue to enjoy putting myself on Mullholland Drive looking into the San Fernando Valley in Southern California as a frame of reference. It's very smoggy/foggy this time of year:

Phil Stooke
A couple of circular views as we move away from Ulysses.

sol 3817:

Click to view attachment

sol 3821:

Click to view attachment

Phil
jvandriel
The Navcam R0 Panoramic view on Sol 3823.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Here is the complete Navcam R0 Panoramic view taken on Sol 3823.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Looking back on Sol 3825.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Oh that's a classic right there. Everybody - alert the press.
Phil Stooke
Jan's 3823 pan in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
fredk
Description of the events leading to a jump in tau recently from MSSS:
The widespread dust-lifting activity raised global atmospheric opacities to annual highs, as recorded by the Opportunity rover in Meridiani and the Curiosity rover in Gale Crater. While Curiosity experienced increased atmospheric opacities, it was largely spared from direct contact with storms. However Opportunity, just off to the east of the Acidalia storm-track, was less fortunate and experienced extremely hazy skies due to its proximity to areas of dust-lifting along the cross-equatorial storm track.
jvandriel
The complete Navcam L0 view taken on Sol 3825 and Sol 3826.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Navcam L0 view on Sol 3827.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3828.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the view on Sol 3830.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
My version.

jhagen
Click to view attachment

Anaglyph from Navcam sol 3829
jvandriel
The Navcam view on Sol 3839-3829. ( added 2 images taken on Sol 3829.)

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Pancam L7 view on Sol 3830.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
SFJCody
Did a double-take and checked the timestamp when I saw this sol's navcams! Haven't seen terrain like this in a while.
serpens

For those who may miss it, A.J Rayl has posted another info filled report on Opportunity.

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...ing-spring.html
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3832.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A couple of circular views, one from Jan's pan, one from a rough one I did, to help me locate the rover for the route map.

Phil

sol 3832:

Click to view attachment

sol 3833:

Click to view attachment
SFJCody
Low sun, high tau. Lovely shot.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Q8P1215L0M1.JPG

Far over the dusty mountain cold
To valleys deep, and outcrops old
We can't away early this sol
The tau is high, but Oppy's bold
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3833.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the view on Sol 3834.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here is a circular view of Jan's latest panorama. The outcrop to the right gives a good location on the map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
My take on the 3834 Navcam pan.

climber
I'd said that the atmosphere seams a little bit less fuzzy? We can better see the rim on the other side.
jvandriel
The last images are down and here is the complete Navcam view taken on Sol 3829.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
anticitizen2
Love the views!

From several weeks ago, driving away from Ulysses:

9 images, sol 3814 --- Anaglyph version
Phil Stooke
A quick circular view to help locate the sol 3837 site. Rear Hazcam... oops, I should say Front Hazcam since we are driving backwards - uh - rear-facing Hazcam images helped a lot in finding the the location as well.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The complete Navcam L0 view taken on Sol 3834 and Sol 3835.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.