Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Murray Ridge
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
charborob
Sol 3600 right navcam pan:
Click to view attachment

---

Apr 24, 2014. This thread is dedicated to the rover activities after the winter campaign at / around Cook Haven. Moved several pages from that thread here.
Tesheiner (Moderator)
Phil Stooke
Circular view of Charborob's pan.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Sol 3600 Left Navcam view.

Click to view attachment

and the Sol 3601 Left Navcam view.

Click to view attachment

Jan van Driel
atomoid
the surreal negative shading effect of filter 2 on the dusty little campfire ring rock garden from SOL3601
Click to view attachment
..seemed a good candidate for gif illusion (epileptics probably should NOT open)
Click to view attachment
charborob
These rocks look like ventifacts.
serpens
Curiosity might be getting all the attention but for me Opportunity remains the doyen of Mars rovers. Yet another change of scenery in the rock garden at McClure Beverlin West. Lithic breccia clasts eroding out of a sandy matrix?

Explorer1
Hey, when'd we drive to Gusev so fast? No one told me! wink.gif
atomoid
sol3609: its nice to finally get a peek over the top
Click to view attachment
look! up in the sky, is it a cross-eyed cloud? is it schmutz? sort of, its just an amateur job at filling missing sky pixels.
Astro0
Sol3609 - another fine day on Mars smile.gif
Click to view attachment

NB: Sky added for effect
jvandriel
The Sol 3610 L0 Navcam view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam Lo view on sol 3608

Click to view attachment

and on Sol 3609

Click to view attachment

Jan van Driel

fredk
I'm not sure exactly where we are, but I think this new view is just over a small ridge on Solander, and we can't yet see to the highest part of Solander, or beyond to Tribulation.

But we did see some real clouds tosol:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol3610
jvandriel
For the complete view I have added the images from Sol 3607
to the panorama taken on Sol 3608.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
Actuallly I'm willing to guess where we are - this is not based on data at all, I just stared at navcams and the orbital view for a bit:
Click to view attachment
It makes sense as we head south to stay close to the plains-side of Solander - smoother driving and longer line-of-sight views for planning.
charborob
Sol 3609 pancam pan (similar to jvandriel's pan but with one more image on the left side):
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Mar 21 2014, 04:32 PM) *
Actuallly I'm willing to guess where we are - this is not based on data at all, I just stared at navcams and the orbital view for a bit:

I just extracted the latest info from the pancam website and this is the result. I did no manual corrections at all for the time being but most probably will have to. Your guess based on the navcams should be more accurate.
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Right... that whole track needs to be shifted to the left about one diameter of that crater at the top left edge of the image.

Do we have enough images for a 360 pan from the recent stop at Augustine?

Phil
jvandriel
Here is the complete panoramic view from images taken on Sol 3607 and Sol 3608
with the L0 Navcam.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Fantastic - thanks. And with a little bit of geometric magic, it becomes a circular version of the area.

Phil

Click to view attachment
fredk
Power levels up to 574 Whrs - that was a good level at the best part of this past summer!
serpens
Sparkly clean.
charborob
Sol 3613 pancam pan:
Click to view attachment
Ant103
I don't totally forget Opportunity, and I found myself processing this color panorama of Sol 3609 smile.gif

jvandriel
The Pancam L 2 view on Sol 3613.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Spectacular! What a great place. That picture just makes me think I could walk right up to that ridge and peek over it. It seems that we have still not seen the layers under the impact ejecta that we saw at Cape York (Whitewater etc.) - obviously we were very lucky to find that exposure. But there's lots more crater rim to explore.

Phil
serpens
They identified those layers as the pre impact surface / sub surface, only a few metres above the Burns formation level, so I don't think we could reasonably expect to see it high on Solander. The interesting thing is that Larry Crumpler's LPSC paper identifies that the unconformity between impactites and the pre-impact surface had a dip of some 11 +/- 2 degrees towards the crater centre. This correlates quite nicely to Parker and Bills paper hypothesising that the bench does in fact reflect a previously level coastal geomorphology and there was subsequent tilting towards the crater. Circumstantial, but worthy of thought.
Ant103
Sol 3613 Pancam panoramic smile.gif Is that some crater we have behind the crest ?

neo56
Very nice mosaic Damia! Oppy is really doing mountain hiking smile.gif
There is indeed what looks like a crater on the left part of your panorama. But I can't figure out where it is located on fredk map.
tedstryk
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Mar 25 2014, 04:33 PM) *
Sol 3613 Pancam panoramic smile.gif Is that some crater we have behind the crest ?

Wow, beautiful! The best view from Oppy I've seen in a long time.
fredk
Nice view indeed. I think this is the crater in question over the near crest:
Click to view attachment
I don't think we've moved much since the 3610 location.
Phil Stooke
I agree with that crater location. And it was only a small move, 3 m or so.

Phil

atomoid
concur-o-gram
Click to view attachment
atomoid
sort of interesting detail of "Turnagain Arm" back on sol 3598 makes me forget im not looking at a HiRise of kimberly
Click to view attachment
Bill
Any idea of what we are seeing West on the horizon ?
http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/im...0P1777R0M1.html
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Not sure about that... but we are about here at the moment.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Hi Bill,

Here is a Phil-O-Vision (10x stretch, vertical only) of that navcam 3618?

Click to view attachment

I don't know how to obtain azimuths from the pictures (some here do I think)
If I had a bearing we could consult a HiRise image for possibilities

First Guess:: it looks like a rock.
It is as dark if not darker that the surrounding 'horizon stuff', a more distant object could be lighter than the horizon material since there is more atmosphere and dust to see through.

cheers
ngunn
I don't know if we can see out across the plains yet but if so there is a candidate small crater in that general direction that is quite prominent. I gave it the nickname Rockaway when we first saw it. It does look darker than its distance suggests.
Phil Stooke
A little bogus-malogus colour image of Point Bede.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The 360 degree Navcam L0 panoramic view on Sol 3618.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Pancam L2 view on Sol 3618.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
sol3621 crosseye of biggest rocks Oppy has seen since......?
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 panoramic view on Sol 3621.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
Some crazy-looking "raked" or washboard terrain from pre-drive 3621:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...5M1.JPG?sol3621
I assume we're just seeing lots of fine ripples perpendicular to the line of sight. The ripples are hardly visible in the corresponding navcam:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...00P0673R0M1.JPG
That's the same nameless 5-10 metre crater we've been eyeing for some time now.
fredk
And now we're almost at 90% dust factor! blink.gif
The cleanest panels since 2006!
From Crumpler's latest post.
dilo
Very impressive!
As visible from following plots, in the last 5 years dust factor never went above 79.5% (record set on Sol 2313 or July 27, 2010):
Click to view attachment
PaulM
QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 5 2014, 04:38 AM) *

This anouncement in Crumpler's post is very interesting:

"After we take a look at the local outcrops up here on the ridge crest, and maybe drive to the local summit for a good view of the crater, we will start driving south along the west side of the rim."

Given the uneven terrain on the Western side of the rim this means for the next few Years Oppy will always be within a few 100m of a North facing slope, which I think is a good decision
dilo
QUOTE (PaulM @ Apr 5 2014, 07:43 AM) *
...for the next few Years Oppy will always be within a few 100m of a North facing slope, which I think is a good decision

In fact, they shows 3 possible paths in this region, while "next long-term target is about 600 m south along the west side of the crater rim"; however, the 10-26 sol drive time seems optimistic to me (unless they refers only to full, long drive sols!)
fredk
But the path in question (path "A") stays away from the rough ridge of Solander and would probably be easy driving like out on the plains (and much easier than our climb up Solander so far). So that drive time sounds realistic, considering how fast we drove from Nobby's Head to Solander.

Of course in practice the limiting factor for the drive time will be the science stops.
charborob
Sol 3625 pancam filter 2 pan:
Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (charborob @ Apr 7 2014, 02:04 PM) *
Sol 3625 pancam filter 2 pan:

Thanks a lot Charborob.
The view on the plains on the other side of the crater starts to be terrific ! I hope they will image it with the "L7" filter soon to gain more details far away. Thanks again smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.