Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Murray Ridge
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
jvandriel
The Navcam Panoramic view made from images taken on Sol 3737 and Sol 3739.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Very nice - here is a circular version of it showing the tracks.

Phil

Click to view attachment
serpens
I initially took a look at this L2, 5, 7 false colour, assuming that it provided a cross section of the laminations beneath the apparent desiccation cracking. The laminations are evident and establish the original horizontal orientation of the sample, but what has got my attention is the apparent changes in composition delineated by what should have been vertical desiccation cracks. I'm not sure what to make of it. Dewatering pipe effect?
jamescanvin
The sol 3744 drive starts the climb of Cape tribulation. Time for a new thread.
wildespace
What is this cross-like feature seen in Sol 3720 Microscopic Imager image? http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1...KP2955M2M1.HTML

The Opportunity Update page mentions APXS being used on that night, perhaps they placed it on the surface prior to taking this image?
fredk
Yep, that's an imprint of a screw head on the apxs plate.
atomoid
APXS itself was imaged recently as well on sol 3795
Mr Valiant
QUOTE (wildespace @ Oct 13 2014, 05:29 AM) *
What is this cross-like feature seen in Sol 3720 Microscopic Imager image? http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1...KP2955M2M1.HTML

The Opportunity Update page mentions APXS being used on that night, perhaps they placed it on the surface prior to taking this image?

So, I look at the picture, I look at the image of the APXS and I can't align it with the image.
Why have I not seen the 'cross' image previously.

Why is it that every time Opportunity or MSL post home an image that contains data that does not fit
the accepted Mars norm' its a case of move on people, nothing to see here.

The APXS design has screw heads at 60 degree angles (hexagon). The anomaly referred to by 'wildespace' has imprints
at 90 degree angles.

Yeah, it is obviously an imprint made by the APXS?

fredk
By hexagon, are you referring to the actual apxs sensor, which is inside the outer ring and never touches the surface? Check out this image for a better view.

The imprint in the Sol 3720 MI image is of one of the Philips head screws in the ring/plate surrounding the sensor head. That's the only part that should ever touch the surface.
centsworth_II
Maybe this set of images, including the one fredk linked, will help situate things.
(Note: the bottom right image is of the bottom screw in the color image, rotated to match the orientation of the imprint.)
Click to view attachment
Burmese
Anyone have the details on what Oppy's Itenerary will be in trying to observe Comet Siding Spring this Sunday? And is there some dedicated thread on this encounter elsewhere in the forums that I may have missed?

MOD EDIT: Yep, there sure is; right here. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.