Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Murray Ridge
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
eoincampbell
Remarkable! And the further she climbs... smile.gif
serpens
That is sparkly clean. They did not start publishing the dust factors until around sol 1776 but I would assume that it would have only been a matter of a few sols after landing before the dust factor dropped below this level.
Explorer1
So still in Eagle crater? Ah, the memories.
Now the question of whether to credit this to the Martian atmosphere, the mission planners, the local geology (for being so enticing), or all three...
James Sorenson
Here is a segment of the Pillinger Point pan. smile.gif

EDIT:
neo56
Thanks James for this beautiful mosaic! Now I have a new wallpaper smile.gif
vikingmars
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ May 21 2014, 08:52 AM) *

James, this is a beautiful result, knowing that the filters are aging and the original pics from which you worked are very saturated. Thanks again ! smile.gif
tedstryk
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ May 21 2014, 06:52 AM) *

EDIT:

Just wow. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
James Sorenson
Thank you all for the comments! smile.gif

Another segment.
neo56
The black rock at the bottom right of James' mosaic intrigues me. What could be its composition?
James Sorenson
I'm at work right now, so away from my home computer, but if I recall in the false color images, it was a bluish color. Usually but not always blue roughly translates to a basaltic in origin in the false color images. I'll have to make a false color version. But making any sort of mineral composition judgement from the raws I don't really like to do.
James Sorenson
Here is a false color of that rock, it's actually pretty dark which in my opinion also looks a bit interesting, not just this particular rock but this whole site. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
eoincampbell
Really appreciate your treatments of the Pillinger Point views, thanks James...
James Sorenson
Thank you smile.gif

A screenshot of two of the 3 sections roughly positioned together in Photoshop before stitching together.
James Sorenson
A screenshot of the false color version of this magnificent place smile.gif

Astro0
Sol 3671 - Brushing and MIs at Pillinger Point.

GIF animation:
Click to view attachment

Hazcam and MI mosaic
Click to view attachment

Another GIF animation (flicker):
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Mi cam view on Sol 3671.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ May 24 2014, 11:49 PM) *
A screenshot of the false color version of this magnificent place smile.gif

James, please forgive me : I could not resist balancing back your wonderrful panorama into real Martian colors !
Thanks again so much for your nice work wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
Good job! smile.gif I don't mind at all, I'm just waiting for the rest of the images to arrive to complete it. smile.gif
Julius
I suppose that Meridiani should be darker in colour but there certainly is a big difference the way MARS looks from pictures taken by Opportunity at Meridiani and Curiosity at Gale. I wonder how real that difference is!
James Sorenson
I just want to say I'm not claiming of coarse that this is an accurate representation of the colors. For the Raw stretched JPG images, it's more of an art and a guessing game. There are several factors that contribute to the color difference, but I'd say roughly you should compare the colors of Gale with Spirit, or Mars Pathfinder landing sites. But I want to stress, use the calibrated PDS images if you want to do comparison work, not the raw images for MSL or MER.
charborob
Sol 3677 navcam pan:
Click to view attachment
Moving away from the edge.
charborob
Sol 3678 navcam pan:
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is a circular version of Charborob's new panorama. I fixed a few bad bits on the horizon - and missed one, I see now (Charborob, I think if you can get a tie point near the horizon in each seam you can avoid that step effect).

Anyhoo - this lets me identify the location accurately. Next week I will try to post a map of the activities in this area.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Dig
My version. Opportunity Navcam Right · Sol 3678

charborob
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 30 2014, 12:32 PM) *
I fixed a few bad bits on the horizon - and missed one, I see now (Charborob, I think if you can get a tie point near the horizon in each seam you can avoid that step effect).

Sorry about that. But I am making my panoramas using PhotoShop, and it stitches the images automatically without me having to specify tie points. On the other hand, sometimes I get those stitching errors.
I suppose I should be using Hugin or other stitching software for better results. I am making a trade-off between optimal results and rapidity. I tried Hugin, but it asks me for control points, and I don't have the time to specify a bunch of those. It seems a complicated process overall, and I can't invest the necessary time and effort.
Phil Stooke
OK! Sorry about that. I've never tried Photoshop for stitching.

Phil

fredk
Great stereo views from near the edge now available:
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
Finally the last image came down just a little bit ago, now I present to you Pillinger Point and Endeavour Crater. smile.gif

Gigapan Link
False Color:

Gigapan Link
elakdawalla
What an awe-inspiring view! Thanks for assembling it, James.
vikingmars
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Jun 3 2014, 06:24 PM) *
Finally the last image came down just a little bit ago, now I present to you Pillinger Point and Endeavour Crater. smile.gif

How nice ! Congratulations and thanks a lot James ! wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Dig
Awesone James! Amazing landscape and wonderful colors.
Now I have a new wallpaper for my monitor. smile.gif
Congratulations.
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3678.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

jvandriel
and the view on Sol 3684.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
serpens
AJS Rayl has provided another information packed summary for Opportunity.

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...ient-clays.html
Phil Stooke
Weird... the newest images include a target called Cape Upright... but the same name was used back on sol 3598.

Phil

Phil Stooke
A circular pan - made from Jan's latest panorama, sol 3684.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and here is the Navcam L0 view on Sol 3691.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Creeping along the top of the ridge! Here's a circular view of Jan's pan just above. By com paring these with HiRISE I am mapping out the route - I will post something on it next week.

Phil

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Jun 13 2014, 09:21 PM) *
and here is the Navcam L0 view on Sol 3691. Jan van Driel

Thanks a lot Jan van Driel for this nice panorama and to Phil for the 360° "donut" pan : we have not yet arrived to the top of the 2nd summit, but are now definitely standing above the 1st summit ! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
charborob
Sol 3696 navcam view:
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Nice! Here's a circular version of it which lets me find the location.

Phil

Click to view attachment
fredk
Quick and dirty noise subtraction from two of the transparency test frames:
Click to view attachment
I don't recognize the field. This could be done a lot better by looking at multiple frame combinations etc...
Gerald
Assuming the vertical streaks to be mostly stars, here a try to remove some of the noise from FredK's diff:
Click to view attachment

Edit: Tried to identify a couple of stars (mainly constellation Libra) :
Click to view attachment
Gerald
After more accurate combining of the three Sol 3697 nightshots:
Click to view attachment
After registering the three (edit: cleaned) images, summing, and rotating 3.5 degrees, I've used a 7x5-linear kernel of (1,4,6,4,1)-rows to enhance vertical bright lines, cleaned from CRs by intesecting four vertically displaced copies (0,8,16,24 pixel displacement), halved brightness to - once again - apply the linear operator, and subtracted the brightness bias of the linear filter. Annotated the most evident stars.
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3698.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Great! Here's a circular reprojection of it to help locate the rover.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 panoramic view on Sol 3701.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
JPL released their version of the Pillinger Pan! smile.gif

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/mer/pia18393/#.U6onf7EuLSg

note: I noticed a reddish cast to the black background which I assume is a color correction after merging the pan onto the background. For my viewing I just set the black point to the black background and that fixed that. smile.gif
tedstryk
Nice to see, but are they not going to complete the panorama?
Phil Stooke
Not from there, anyway - they've moved on. There are lots of partial panoramas in the collection.

Phil

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.