Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Murray Ridge
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
James Sorenson
I'm working on processing the color images for the deck pan, but here is an L4 mosaic of what I got sofar. smile.gif
charborob
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Apr 7 2014, 07:45 AM) *
Thanks a lot Charborob.
The view on the plains on the other side of the crater starts to be terrific ! I hope they will image it with the "L7" filter soon to gain more details far away. Thanks again smile.gif

Here is the left filter 7 pan on sol 3625 (the last image on the right is incomplete; I had to adjust the curves to make it more or less match the others). Are there really more details visible?
Click to view attachment
Ant103
Same view, in colors. Very good sighting there !

serpens
An interesting update from A. J. S Rayl.

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...cook-haven.html
craigmcg
Is there a map of "the bench" referred to in the above article?
vikingmars
QUOTE (charborob @ Apr 7 2014, 05:02 PM) *
Are there really more details visible?

Thanks a lot Charborob ! Yes indeed : some craters on the far horizon are readily much more visible (as horizontal dark markings) smile.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (craigmcg @ Apr 8 2014, 07:26 AM) *
Is there a map of "the bench" referred to in the above article?
I've indicated the bench in this image from Larry Crumpler's April 3 Planetary Society Blog. It is well defined at the north end where Opportunity arrived at Solander Point, but seems to be less well defined to the South. This could be due to some extent to lighting.

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Pancam L7 view on Sol 3625.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
Almost finished with processing the color images that will be added to this but here is the L4 deckpan sofar.
James Sorenson
smile.gif

neo56
Really nice work James ! I didn't expect the solar panels to be so clean.
Astro0
Opportunity: Doing 'selfies' since 2004 pancam.gif biggrin.gif
Phil Stooke
A long-awaited moment (by me at least) - Cape Tribulation viewed over the top of Murray Ridge:

http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/im...3P1835L0M1.html

Phil

ngunn
Long awaited by me as well. I'm looking out for another glimpse of the Miyamoto 'Mule Ears' off to the SSW. They were not visible in navcams before but we're a bit closer now. There are some camdidate bumps among the noise but nothinjg more so far. I'm hoping that the planned panorama from the local summit will be a full 360 and not just the view into the crater.
jamescanvin
Yay! I was hoping that this drive would finally reveal it and there it is. Nice to see where we're going. wheel.gif smile.gif
Dig
Panorama on Murray Ridge. Sol 3630. Navcam left.

Click to full resolution.
Astro0
Just wondering if any of our mapping gurus (Tesh, Phil etc) would be able to point to places on the horizon that would be headings for craters like Santa Maria, Victoria etc?
Not expecting them to be visible, just interested in directions.
Phil Stooke
Great pan, Dig - here's a circular view of it to help locate us on the hill.

Phil

Click to view attachment
mhoward
Opportunity Update - sols 3622-3629, April 02, 2014-April 09, 2014: Getting in Place for a Better View of 'Endeavour Crater'

On Sol 3628 (April 8, 2014), the rover drove about 69 feet (21 meters) to the south in an approach to a local ridge top, a vantage point that offers a view with an entire sweep of Endeavour Crater. Once there, the plan is to collect a spectacular color panorama of Endeavour.

mars.gif mars.gif mars.gif mars.gif mars.gif mars.gif
eoincampbell
I wonder just how much more spectacular it could get ohmy.gif ...
Ant103
Sol 3633 Pancam panoramic. The view is astounding ! ohmy.gif We can see Cape York there !

Floyd
Nice, I love the tracks winding up the hill!
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3632.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Pancam L7 panorama of the wheeltracks on Sol 3632.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Great view, Damia - here's a stretched perspective view of it to make it easier to identify things.

Phil

Click to view attachment
brellis
The ~absolutely gorgeous~ pic assembled by Ant103 in Post #254 shows the crater I've always wanted to be named the Far Side Crater in honor of Gary Larsen. True?

Fun fact - I premiered a concerto for electronic keyboards and orchestra with the LA Phil in 1989. Someone taped this cartoon to the curtain where I was to pass thru to receive my soloist's applause. LOL

It's the higher crater, IIRC.
Ant103
New pictures are down today, the occasion to complete the full panoramic over Endeavour crater smile.gif

Thank you James smile.gif
jvandriel
The complete 360 degree Navcam L0 panoramic view taken on
Sol 3630 and Sol 3632.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
My take sofar on the Endeavour Pan. There is a circular donut area on the left most part of the Pancam images that at leased for me isn't removable with current flat-fields unless however I brush them out. I have noticed this for quite awhile.

ngunn
Now as I was hoping we see the horizon to westward included in the pan. smile.gif I assume the blip near the middle of this image is the same feature discussed in posts 235-8 above but still awaiting firm ID.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...LCP2415L7M1.JPG

I see no very distant features here such as Bopolu or Miyamoto. Perhaps we're still not high enough even on this summit, or perhaps the air is just not clear enough at present.
charborob
Sol 3635 navcam view:
Click to view attachment
We're almost at the top!
atomoid
sol3635 dune texture makes for interesting xeye
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A circular semicircle from sol 3635, just west of the prominent crater at the top of the ridge.

Phil

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Thanks Phil. From your circular pan we can now see that the blip on the horizon is on a bearing close to 241 degrees. This means it can't be 'Rockaway' which should be near 272 degrees. My best guess for the blip is now a crater about half the size of Victoria and about 15 km distant. If I'm matching up the contour map with CTX correctly that crater and 'Rockaway' are located on the same gentle N-S rise which I think forms our western skyline from this viewpoint.
neo56
@James : really nice colour mosaic! I'm looking forward to the final panorama

@atomoid : there is a really good 3D effect on your xeye particularly between the foreground and the background. I love these little dunes smile.gif
atomoid
QUOTE (ngunn @ Apr 17 2014, 12:18 AM) *
...best guess for the blip is now a crater about half the size of Victoria and about 15 km distant...

So the 'blip' crater would seem to be this apparently younger one (arrow), not the eroded scalloped one (Rockway?) closer in.
Click to view attachment

@neo56: if only I could get the clumsy sw I have to not mangle the seams, I was trying for a bit wider vantage of that scene..
James Sorenson
I've been doing some minor fine tuning of control points in my rover deck pan template and I added the rest of the images. Still some fine tuning left to do. Here is the L4 mosaic. The JPL version looks great smile.gif
Click to view attachment

EDIT: Whoops! sorry please move this post.
ADMIN: Done!
ngunn
Atomoid: That's the one I'm suggesting but I'm using nothing more sophisticated than a school protractor laid on my computer screen. I'm awaiting confirmation or just as likely correction by someone with better tools. I note that this crater has wind streaks extending southeastward from each side suggesting there is significant relief there. The larger crater farther east is more eroded and furthermore lies in a hollow so I don't expect to see it.

[Incidentally 'Rockaway' is not that crater but the much smaller fresh one that appears as a dark spot at the top of your image almost directly above the arrowed feature. If you're interested you can find its original ID in post 259 of 'Distant Vistas' and a good view of it from near Concepcion in post 201 of that same thread.] EDIT: And the contour map in post 123.
ngunn
QUOTE (ngunn @ Apr 18 2014, 07:35 AM) *
The larger crater farther east is more eroded and furthermore lies in a hollow so I don't expect to see it.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Checking the latest images I see a feature which could be that crater just below the horizon and just to the right of the foreground slope: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...MZP2417R1M1.JPG

jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3635.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the one on Sol 3637.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I really like this ripply landscape, believe it or not. Here's a circular version of Jan's nice panoramic view for sol 3637, and a map showing where we are.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Here is an enlarged crop showing the dark streak close to the horizon that I think may be part of the 'Victoria-twin' crater 8 km to the SW of us. I say part because the whole thing should subtend a horizontal angle of about 6 degrees or one-third of a pancam image.

atomoid
selected ripply sol3637 pair stereo. tried to make stereo pan but my tools (and chops) cant handle making the needed adjustments that work so well in jvandriel's fine work, im including sample at right below anyway if for no other than comedic purposes.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Here is an image of the objects on the WSW horizon.
It is from Pancam on sol 3635
I rotated the image 4.66 degrees CW to get the horizon level(ish).

I then used a high pass filter (line detector with 6 pixel radius) to accentuate the darks (darker) and brights (brighter) at the high frequency pixels on the horizon, and then stretch it vertically (Phil-O-Vision).
A histogram of a high pass filtered image is centered on DN 128 and is normal, with long tails

the object on the right looks like a crater
note the smaller (smaller? farther?) object on the left
Click to view attachment

ngunn
The size you show for the crater is right, I think, for a 500m crater at 15km.

Regarding the smaller feature on the left, the topography suggests that it should be at a similar distance. There is indeed a smaller crater a bit to the east of the 500m one, as seen here, on a line with the 'Victoria-twin':
http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/press/op...saic_notext.tif
charborob
Nice pancam view of Cape Tribulation on sol 3637:
Click to view attachment
Ant103
In colors smile.gif

jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 3639.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Checking in from the UK with a circular version of Jan's pan. I still haven't located it.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.