Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matijevic Hill first survey
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
fredk
Not surprizingly, after the bump of 3135 and the closing of the loop, we're set for some IDD work.
ronald
Lake Wanapitei on Sol 3135:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I recommend the cross-eye - the "golfball" really stands out there biggrin.gif
ronald
And Timiskaming - same sol:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Here is my take on Lake Wanapitei (L257)
Click to view attachment
ronald
interesting Sol 3137 MI (rotated 90 deg counterclockwise):
Click to view attachment

This is made up of images from the mi_open_minloss5_DNTH2500_veryhigh series. At the data tracking website there is also mi_open_minloss5_DNTH2500_high and mi_open_minloss5_DNTH2500_medium. I compared veryhigh and high images and for me it looks more like stereo pairs or something - did anyone knows anything about this?

They also shoot a 7x1 pancam tosol - Matijevic Pan - this will be nice! rolleyes.gif
serpens
Sandcherry and Whitewater Lake look similar. Seemingly the rock is blue gray, fine clastic materiel with a yellowish weathering product. I would anticipate that if the yellow crust is brushed, underlying gray rock will be revealed as with Whitewater Lake. This apparent sedimentary feature seems to be associated with the extent of the spherule deposit and follow the contour – almost as if the spherule rich layer formed a sediment trap. Potentially clay cementing?
ngunn
Both Sandcherry and Whitewater Lake seem to have a shiny rind that weathers less and so remains 'bluish'. This suggests to me a surface fused by intense heat such as may have come from a bright bolide passing overhead. Every now and then the sand or mud would have been subjected to such events early in the early history of Mars.
Stu
Sharpened and generally messed about with to bring out textures...

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Here is Sandcherry L257
Click to view attachment
serpens
ngunn, Since the brush of the yellow material on whitewater revealed underlying blue gray rock it would seem that the yellowish stuff is the weathering product and the raised blue gray surface is just more resistant. Differential erosion possibly due to variations in cementing or chemical variations in the sediment? This deposit is anomalous in that we have seen suevite and other impact breccia both above and below this level while this feature seems a very localised and fine sedimentary construct. This could tie in with the localised clay signature - source and eroded clay mixed in with surrounding sand. Could also of course be something else entirely. Were the results of the Whitewater APXS ever released?
ronald
I would think that the yellowish stuff is rather accumulated dust than a weathering product.
Ant103
Sol 3137 Pancam. Not in color for now. Very intriguing outcrops.

Tesheiner
That's part #1 of the Matijevic Pan and I see it has three rows i.e. covering slightly less FOV as navcam. Part #2 is scheduled for sol 3138 and I hope the plan is to shot the full 360 degrees.
elakdawalla
A good activity for the Thanksgiving holiday smile.gif
ronald
A slim one from the Matijevic Pan:

Maybe someone wants a bigger version of the anaglyph too.
ronald
Really nice images down for sol 3138:
No space left for the anaglyphs so they are here and here.
Ant103
Matijevic Pan is growing up. Some colors blended with the only L2 frames available for now.

Stu
Not sure if "freaky-looking" is an approved geological term, but I think it's fitting... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
nprev
blink.gif...yeah, I'll buy off on "freaky-looking". Amazing.
Stu
Funny, how a rock can be ugly but beautiful at the same time...

Click to view attachment
nprev
Beautiful, Stu.

I have NO expertise, NO qualifications to say the following. None. Zip.

But if I was looking for ancient dried-out phyllosilicates, I'd be looking for something very much like this.
empebe
QUOTE (ronald @ Oct 13 2012, 10:14 PM) *
Huh nice - something to play with smile.gif
Click to view attachment
WOW this anaglypt(?) had me trying to lean round to see the back of things.
Normally I have trouble because of mild red/green colour blindness, so I am very happy when one takes me in like that.
Thanks.
Click to view attachment
Would this help to admit error instead of an emoticon ? wink.gif wink.gif
Mike
Back behind the curtain he creeps.

ronald
Progress on the Matijevic Pan:
Click to view attachment
Ant103
Matijevic is getting larger. MOAR_pics_pls.jpg

[25-11-2012] Updated
walfy
The Sol 3137 micro, in 3D:

Click to view attachment

walfy
I love this view for Oppy's tracks that run across it.

Click to view attachment
MERovingian

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationn...,0,855406.story

With a potentialy global dust storm heading towards Oppy,now about 900 ks away from her, is there still time for the team at JPL to position the rover in such a spot as to get as much sunlight as possible, like for the winter havens, or does the Martian atmosphere get so filled up with dust that it doesn't make any difference any direction the solar panels are pointing at, and Oppy can stay as is?

fredk
There's nothing new in that story - it's just a rehash of this MLS release. Nothing there about the storm "heading towards Oppy".

The latest MRO weather report says:
By the end of the week... the storm system already showed signs of weakening, contracting in the southern tropics and in eastern Promethei, indicating the storm was not going to become a planet-encircling event.

Of course a global storm is still possible. We're very close to the equinox, so it wouldn't help to be tilted north or south. During a bad storm most of the light would come from the sky instead of the sun, so facing up with as wide a view of the sky as possible would be best I think. The CY area is pretty flat already, so here is probably about as good a place to be as anywhere.
Ant103
Colooooooooors !!!

Oops, sorry biggrin.gif

So, Matijevic Pan in colors smile.gif

Stu
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 25 2012, 10:46 PM) *
Colooooooooors !!!

UnBeLEEvable...

ohmy.gif

Good work, Ant.
ngunn
Wonderful !!

A small query - how to pronounce Matijevic.

MatYEYvich??
elakdawalla
I've always heard it muh-TEE-e-vitch. Definitely an Americanized pronunciation.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ngunn @ Nov 25 2012, 06:45 PM) *
A small query - how to pronounce Matijevic.
You can hear the man himself pronounce it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_MzQkWR3JU
Pretty much as Emily wrote.
belleraphon1
Was not sure where to put this ... so hoping all will notice.

AGU Whipple lecture next week will be given by Steve Squyres on MER results! Video on Demand. Do not expect a any data or science from Matijevic since they are still in the roaming phase to categorize the site but what the heck..

December 5th - 2:40 to 3:30 pm (I expect this is Pacific time in US since AGU is in San Francicso).
Clues to a Hot, Wet and Violent Ancient Mars: Spirit in the Columbia Hills and Opportunity at Endeavour Crater (Video On-Demand)

http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/events/whi...ideo-on-demand/

Craig

Stu
Oppy really has pulled up at a beautiful place, hasn't she?

Click to view attachment

Full size version http://twitpic.com/bgqdhf/full
belleraphon1
AGU Press Conference Schedule: http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/important-...edia-advisory-4

There is an Opportunity briefing December 4 at 10:30 am PT.
Mars Rover Opportunity's Investigations at Endeavour Crater, Tuesday, 4 December 10:30 a.m.
NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, working on Mars since January 2004, has spent recent months examining outcrops in an area on the rim of Endeavour Crater. There, the rover has found unusual textures and orbital observations have suggested the possible presence of clay minerals. This briefing will offer an update about what has been found so far during these rover investigations at "Matijevic Hill" on the crater's western rim and outline plans for continuing work by Opportunity.
Watch live here: I do not think you need to be registered???
http://live.projectionnet.com/agupress/fm2012.aspx

Edited to remove copy/paste formatting.
ADMIN NOTE: All, please either edit these down or only post a link to the original.
Ant103
Matijevic Pan is updated smile.gif.

Any idea if they have planed to do a full 360° ?
ronald
At least they did pancam_Matijevic_Pan_pt7_4x1_L257R2 and pancam_Matijevic_Pan_pt8_2x3_L257R2 tosol.
So maybe it will grow to a full 360 or maybe not - we just got to have some patience cool.gif

Edit: Part 9 is planned for sol 3145.
PDP8E
Here is the image on SOL 3139 when Oppy captured her own tracks against the ridges of Cape York (L257)

Click to view attachment
Stu
Loving those tracks...

Click to view attachment

...and it looks like Oppy has been brushing again...

Click to view attachment
ronald
my try ...
Click to view attachment
Airbag
QUOTE (ronald @ Nov 28 2012, 03:39 PM) *
my try ...

I like the MSL-like colors.

Airbag
ngunn
Me too - excellent!
Stu
Nice brush work Oppy...

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is a merge of Stu's new MI mosaic with his earlier colour pancam image - if you don't mind me borrowing them, Stu!

Phil

Click to view attachment
Stu
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 29 2012, 10:45 PM) *
This is a merge of Stu's new MI mosaic with his earlier colour pancam image - if you don't mind me borrowing them, Stu!

Course not smile.gif Great view.
ronald
Sol 3146 MI mosaic (rotated it is):

Bigger versions here and here.
walfy
QUOTE (ronald @ Nov 30 2012, 02:22 AM) *
Sol 3146 MI mosaic (rotated it is): here and here.

Superb micro! It looks like some of the particles that got flung out have stuck to some blueberries/pebbles. Perhaps held there by static generated by the brushing...?
serpens
It would be interesting to get a sedimentologist’s opinion on the sandcherry / whitewater lake feature. I still believe that this is a localised sediment trap and the comparative results of the APXS integrations of the raised lamina and the underlying rock could be really interesting. Rather than a fragmenting weathering rind I am thinking along the lines of sediment stratification as a result of a change in redox geochemistry – possibly recording the last gasp of Cape York’s water based alterations.
ronald
... meanwhile on the other side of the planet - Elliot Lake on Sol 3133:
I did cut off two smaller parts where the right side was not down yet and learned that transforming in gimp is not as easy as in this high priced software I use at work ... so its not that perfect.
You may also like the big version.

Edit: Here is the L2 full stitch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.