Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matijevic Hill first survey
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
ronald
I hope it is ok to post a second one ...
Part of Falconbridge Pancam, Sol 3119:
Click to view attachment
Is the white stuff there just sand?
nprev
QUOTE (ronald @ Nov 3 2012, 12:47 PM) *
Is the white stuff there just sand?

Yep. Great work!!! smile.gif
walfy
From Sol 3119:

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 3119 Navcam pan :

And Sol 3121 :

Phil Stooke
Here is Ant103's 3121 half pan in circular format - another drive to the south. We are approaching the big ancient crater.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is a vertically stretched view of the crater ahead - viewed from the north so not in route map geometry.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jhagen
[quote name='ronald' date='Nov 3 2012, 01:15 PM' post='194089']
Color variation of Coniston - Pancam, Sol 3119:

I am fairly new to these forums.
Many of you are producing beautiful approximations of Mars "true" color from the MER filter 2, 5, 7 filters. Could you describe the process you are using or point me back to discussion of this topic? I have searched without success.

ADMIN: Give these pages a try:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=761
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=529

Use the Forum search tool and use a term like "Filters"
Phil Stooke
Ant's 3119 pan in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
walfy
Beautiful undulations on that filled-in crater ahead:

Click to view attachment

And an anaglyph teased out of images from Sol 3054 and from around Sol 3114, a baseline shift of around 80 meters. It's a little headache-inducing at the nearest mountain, I'm guessing due to the difference in elevation between the two images.

Click to view attachment
stewjack
QUOTE (walfy @ Nov 5 2012, 03:44 AM) *
It's a little headache-inducing at the nearest mountain,

I believe that your nearest mountain happens to be a future destination of Opportunity. Perhaps the headaches are caused by staring at a 3d view with too much intensity. I actually pasted your anaglyph into IrfanView and expanded it. The details got fuzzy, but the shape of the mountain became clearer to me. Thank-you very much.
ronald
While still waiting for all Falconbridge files I did a quick try on Gertrude - Sol 3117:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Ant103
Nice colors Ronald smile.gif

Sol 3121 Navcam pan updated (see my previous post).
ronald
Thank you Ant smile.gif - Sao Pantaleao on Sol 3121:
Click to view attachment
Big version here. Sorry no false color this time but a nice corresponding anaglyph of the far left rock formation.
7B8
QUOTE (ronald @ Nov 5 2012, 09:52 PM) *
While still waiting for all Falconbridge files I did a quick try on Gertrude - Sol 3117:

Any idea what process can cause the ring-like crack in the lower left half the rock?
serpens
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 29 2012, 06:38 AM) *
This is quite a fascinating area. Has anyone deciphered the stratigraphy yet? unsure.gif

I’m really starting to doubt that any coherent stratigraphy can be teased out of Cape York. Using Melosh’s impact crater morphometric parameters as a guideline the Endeavour rim would have been some 800 metres above the surrounding terrain. This has eroded down to a nub. Potentially all ejecta deposited in the Endeavour impact may have been removed and the Noachian core of Cape York could be upturned or overturned, pre impact terrain. This would have mainly been Miyamoto ejecta in the first place and interpreting this area with Opportunity's limited assets may well be impossible.
Mars Attack
Is it possible that Endeavor crater eventually filled up with upwelled water after the impact that created it and over time the crater wall in the area of Cape York eroaded away with the water spilling out into the plains? Would it not be prudent to investigate the bottom of the crater in this area to look at possible sediments that may have filtered out at this location?
Phil Stooke
I think it's more likely that we will be able to understand the stratigraphy of post-impact modification. The old rim of Endeavour was subjected to erosion and deposition, maybe multiple times, and remnants of those events are what we might expect to see here. Details of the original rim stratigraphy, especially things like overturned strata at the original rim (probably lost to slumping and erosion long ago) are not likely to be preserved.

Phil
ngunn
You may well be right, but I think the possibility that the Kirkwood layer is pretty much in situ since the impact cannot be excluded. The obvious chaos only appears upslope from Kirkwood. I'm sure the hunt is on for a possible continuation of the Kirkwood layer at Cape Tribulation.
serpens
QUOTE (Mars Attack @ Nov 8 2012, 02:00 PM) *
Is it possible that Endeavor crater eventually filled up with upwelled water after the impact that created it ....? Would it not be prudent to investigate the bottom of the crater in this area to look at possible sediments that may have filtered out at this location?

Given the evidence of a groundwater table rising to the surface at the elevation of Erebus then there is a reasonable argument for deeper water within Endeavour. But north of Cape York the crater rim was overrun by sulphate sediments which form that intriguing delta like infill, so the crater bottom would probably be more yet sulphate sandstone with hematite concretion lag, covering all the interesting stuff beneath. I guess one question is whether the crater was once completely filled and then excavated to the current topography, or whether the infill reflects the configuration reached before the area became pretty well static. If the latter then the possibility of Endeavour having been a water filled stratigraphic trap would seem to be increased.
ronald
Falconbridge - Pancam Sol 3119:
Full version here and here. Partial anaglyph in this post.
ronald
This one - just labeled outcrop ejecta - will be a nice one too (3x1 when all data is down):
ronald
Now this is really the last one for today rolleyes.gif
Makada Lake, Pancam Sol 3124
Click to view attachment

I also noticed that the two colored ones above came out a bit too desaturated - at least looking at them from home now. At work it looked ok. I'll pay more attention to this in the future.
Zelenyikot
I welcome participants. Allow also to me to take part in discussion. smile.gif

Surprising repeatability of forms. Rectangular structures under wheels of Opportunity http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EGP0142L0M1.JPG
and from the satellite:
fredk
The small-scale features are what the team calls the "boxwork" features, around the 3101 and 3103 sites.

We were close to the large-scale rectangular features/lineations/"tardis features" on sol 2742. We tried to spot them in the imagery, but saw nothing conclusive - check around this post.
Zelenyikot
Thanks. Yes, really from above it looked more interesting.

I, as the archeologist, can't quietly look at them laugh.gif
Ant103
Sol 3124 Navcam pan :

ronald
A look back on Sol 3124:
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Ant103's pan in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is the current state of my map of Matijevic hill, trying to fit in all the feature names (I'll add diacritical marks later) with the route. I see I left out Gertrude - if you know any other names I can add please let me know. Names around Whitewater Lake such as Kirkwood will be on a separate close-up map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
fredk
Looking good, Phil. Just one question: is "Box Work" the name of a particular feature, or was it just used to describe a type of feature? The latest PS update mentions
on Sol 3101... the robot field geologist took pictures of boxwork and possible veins in light-toned bedrock
and then
on 3103... the MER scientists noted boxwork again.
That makes it sound like a type of feature.
Tesheiner
I think the answer is "both", Fred, because one of the features imaged during sol 3103 was labelled exactly "Box Work".
Phil Stooke
Good point though - is it really a name or just a description? I have been finding lots of features in the Opportunity feature names database in the Analysts Notebook at PDS Geosciences with names like 'cobble 2' or 'layered ripple', which I don't usually plot as a feature name on the route maps I'm making for future use. Normally I only use things I think are 'real' placenames. I haven't decided about this one yet.

Phil

ronald
Very nice work Phil! There are some more named features ...
rather small Cartier (1+2) on Sol 3117 for instance:
The left one is a somewhat different approach to false color (false color plus pseudo color)

... Levack and Lively on Sol 3119 (near Falconbridge), Onwatin on Sol 3124, Nipissing 1+2 Sol 3126, Clara Belle and Agnew Lake both Sol 3128 and maybe much more before Sol 3117 smile.gif wheel.gif

Box Work is indeed the name of that specific Sol 3103 feature - more common descriptions like "rear outcrop", "ejecta" or "driving direction" are allways lower case, specific names upper case ...
ronald
Hmm - either I missed it or it wasn't yet posted here - Box Work with some lag from Sol 3103:
ngunn
I had to look it up but I now understand 'boxwork' to mean a network of intersecting planes governed by the process of crystal formation. I can't convince myself that these 'boxes' formed that way. The edges are not perfectly straight, in fact there are some quite curvy ones. To me they look more like patterns formed by fracture rather than crystallisation.
Phil Stooke
Fractures filled with something and then eroded... I don't think they are intending the name literally to refer to crystallization, just referring to the general morphology.

Phil

Ant103
Sol 3128 Navcam -incomplete yet- pan :
ronald
I assume this could be Nickeldale - Sol 3132 - maybe the next RAT target?
Click to view attachment
I'll correct the naming (if there is any) when I'm wrong wink.gif
Tesheiner
Here's a navcam mosaic taken on that same sol but from a different position. She's getting closer to Whitewater Lake.
Click to view attachment
ronald
I used the outer left navcam pics for the anaglyph - so its the same position.
I did a quick polar one:
Click to view attachment
Interesting twitter message from Mike Seibert regarding sol 3132 movement.

This one is sol 3133:
Click to view attachment
Near 2 o'clock you can see Kirkwood and the tracks leading there rolleyes.gif
fredk
Big jump in tau on 3134 according to the solar pancam images. (No 3134 images showing the horizon down yet.) This is the right time of the year for it.
ngunn
This image is a bit special, I think, what with a nice complete skyline on top of spectacular geology:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P1737R0M2.JPG
ronald
Yes, this is really a nice one.

After having a hard time with the navcam pan-anaglyph (which turns out only semi-middle or mittelprächtig in german) I decided to make a cross-eyed version with some sky smile.gif
Stu
What the..?

Click to view attachment

(raises eyebrow)

Fascinating...
Antonb
Fascinating indeed. In the bottom left corner of Stu's anaglyph, it looks like there's a collapsed tube, which meets another in a T-junction. Wind-eroded volcanic remnants?
Ant103
A bunch of new Navcam pan today.

Sol 3131 :

Sol 3131 :

And Sol 3135, with very interesting outcrops.

A color close-up :
ronald
It's Sandcherry Sol 3135:
The cross-eye is not for the faint-hearted though ...
Nice colors Ant smile.gif
Phil Stooke
What a great place this is! Hopefully we have seen enough of the area for a good geological map of the outcrops to be compiled, and some serious analysis of the different units can begin.

Phil

Stu
Really intrigued by Sandcherry...

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Ant103's sol 3135 pan in circular form - with a good view of the earlier tracks leading up to Kirkwood. The loop is nearly closed now.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.