Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York - Shoemaker Ridge and the NE traverse
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Bill Harris
Ah, so I heard what you said and understood what you meant... smile.gif

Sometimes, as a geologist, one can get a bit pedantic with empty precision in terminology. wink.gif

You were correct-- those Turkey Haven and North Haven pics are tremendous.

--Bill
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Nov 18 2011, 01:49 AM) *
... Note to everyone: check that blog; it has a lot of "goodies".

Many thanks for your insightful blog, Matt. smile.gif
PDP8E
Hey Matt... thanks for the blog with the crazy good inside info!
Stu
"Turkey Haven" looking south... I think... I'm a little lost after not really paying attention the past couple of days... laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 19 2011, 03:18 PM) *
"Turkey Haven" looking south... I think...

Exactly. Here's a polar view put together with a GE image.
Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 2778 navcam (pré-drive) :

And Sol 2779 color pan of the ridge. Lovely colors there smile.gif.
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 19 2011, 06:18 AM) *
"Turkey Haven" looking south... I think... I'm a little lost after not really paying attention the past couple of days... laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

I think this is right. Turkey Haven seems to be referenced as the one right under our nose; we'll be IDD'ing this boss through the Thanksgiving weekend.

"Winter Haven" might be another name floating around, which is ~15m NE of Oppy right now. It has even greater northerly slopes than Turkey Haven, which is at about 15 degrees as is!

I don't know if "Winter Haven" is the winter haven, but it certainly is a candidate. Since it doesn't an an official associated target in our tactical database (for now), I would guess that it was just the name the science team chose on a whim. That seemed to be the way of things at the SOWG meeting for 2778/9...

Interesting how I'm knee-deep with the team and I don't know these things! tongue.gif

-m
Stu
Some new interviewy goodness on my blog, if anyone would like a look...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2011/...ask-the-experts
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 19 2011, 06:18 AM) *
"Turkey Haven" looking south...

Here we are at long last! Almost at the summit of the peak we've NOT been gazing up at all these long months.
Phil Stooke
The summit of the peak we've been gazing down on? (when we could see it at all)

Phil
PDP8E
Hey Stu, thank you for the 'Wray and Ray' interview and your blog with the crazy good inside info! (hey! i just said that somewhere else wink.gif )
nprev
Agreed. Dynamite interviews, Stu; provided a great deal of insight into Oppy's present findings & activities!
Stu
New pics dribbling in...

Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 19 2011, 11:15 AM) *
Some new interviewy goodness on my blog, if anyone would like a look...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2011/...ask-the-experts

I love it. Keep those science interviews coming, Stu. smile.gif
ngunn
Is that the 'dagger' in view now, two thirds of the way across this image? http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...PHP1604R0M1.JPG
walfy
An experiment with stitching 3D images, this one from Sol 2279:

Click to view attachment
walfy
Just one more for tonight: interesting rock layers, or veins, that stick out in this crop from Sol 2780 that recently came down:

Click to view attachment

And lots of other new and strange looking rocks here at the top of Cape York. The RAT is gnashing its teeth!

Bill Harris
Is that the 'dagger' in view now

May be the "dagger". See Tesheiner's post #473:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=180368

--Bill
Stu
...and stretttttccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Click to view attachment

smile.gif

Yep, that looks pretty Daggerish, or at least Daggeresque, to me...

( Anyone else feel a bit dizzy looking at that..? blink.gif )
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (ngunn @ Nov 20 2011, 12:51 AM) *
Is that the 'dagger' in view now, two thirds of the way across this image? http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...PHP1604R0M1.JPG

Closer to viewing it, but not quite.
Ant103
Sol 2779 Navcam pan. We can clearly see the contour of the "dagger" here.
centsworth_II
Ha! Nothing is clear to me. Is this it?
Click to view attachment
Stu
That's what I'm taking to be It, yep. Clearer on my stretch...

Click to view attachment

Edit: hmmmm. Not so sure now after taking a look on Google Earth... I think maybe the Dagger is still round the bend a bit...

Click to view attachment

unsure.gif
Nix
I'm quite sure I see the 'lobe' of dark material extending beyond the contours of Cape York.. and the dagger is in sight partially, but it's a shallow feature seen at a very low angle from here... like Tesheiner's post...
fredk
I think we are seeing the Dagger, but heavily foreshortened since CY is so flat for the most part. Here are some measurements to back that up. I've identified a little knob in both orbital and navcam views (indicated with a white arrow in both). (The navcam is a stack of L/R to improve S/N.) The far side of the "mouth" of the Dagger should be 8 degrees to the right of that knob. We can now see plenty more than that. So it looks like the little dark notch in Stu's stretch is the Dagger.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Ant103
Yup, seems clear to me.

Edit.

Sol 2776 update. A color mosaic.
marsophile
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 20 2011, 01:02 PM) *

In the top image of fredk's post, the dagger looks like it could be the continuation of a mountain stream. Perhaps water pouring down the hillside in a narrow stream could provide the force needed to carve the dagger.
vikingmars
Maybe I'm wrong but, sorry, I really doubt : otherwise we would have seen many of those kind of "watery" features on other slopes around the rim of Endeavour Crater where, I think, there is at least a minimum of continuity in its geological features. Why just a stream here and not elsewhere dry.gif ?
Anyway, I agree with you that the Dagger is a strange feature and that it worths a visit...
jvandriel
The Pancam L2 views on Sol 2779 and Sol 2780
stitched together.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
charborob
Looks like Oppy reached the top of the ridge.
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 panoramic view on Sol 2778 and Sol 2779
stitched together.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Nov 21 2011, 09:14 AM) *
we would have seen many of those kind of "watery" features on other slopes around the rim of Endeavour Crater
Agreed, and also there's the slope problem: the slope at the "Dagger" is into Endeavour, so basically perpendicular to the length of the Dagger. And it's presumably been like that as long as Endeavour's been here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.