Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York - Shoemaker Ridge and the NE traverse
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Bill Harris
Good application of a circular panorama.

Compare with Phil's Cir_Pan of Mike's Sol-2710 Navcam pan:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=25510

(in post http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=178440 ) -- you can tell we are no longer on the side of a hill, and you can just make out "summit crater" to the NNE.

--Bill

EDIT: and with Phil's current circular pan two posts down: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=25663 . Same data, different perspectives.
climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 10 2011, 01:25 AM) *
I'm not sure if this will help, but generally the slopes are east facing here, although there are some "knobs" that might have north-facing slopes of varying degrees, that I've circled here:
I'm thinking those are the areas they want to map carefully.

I've got the point , thanks Fredk, this make sense now.
Phil Stooke
My version of mhoward's nice panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
I uploaded to the PhotoBucket site an index image of the area between Odyssey Crater and the "unnamed summit crater" in the CRISM clay area, in PNG format.

HiRISE image of part of Cape York, at Endeavour Crater.
Cropped, sharpened and enhanced and map oriented.
Covers MER traverse from Odyssey Crater to CRISM clay area

Image ESP_024015_1775 _RED

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/wil...maker_Ridge.png

Somewhat grainy-looking, but I've concluded that this is due to sub-pixel light spots and dark cobbles on the ground pushing the average pixel value up or down.

You can orient yourself using Tesheiner's Route Maps or with the Cir_Pans uploaded earlier.

--Bill
Sunspot
Do those rectangular features correspond to the clay signature?
Floyd
Nope, just the foundation stones of the old fort. laugh.gif
ElkGroveDan
Now we know where it landed after it was sent spinning.
fredk
Nice view from sol 2736 showing Odyssey ejecta, then Odyssey itself, then Spirit Point on CY, and finally the jumbled terrain we zoomed over on our way in...
Click to view attachment
mhoward
Not seamless, but... (Sol 2736 "Kirkland Lake" red-cyan anaglyph)
Ron Hobbs
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 9 2011, 10:05 PM) *
I'm hoping for a sidetrip to the spot with those rectangular lineations (which I'm informally calling "Secular City" til we get an official name) for a quick peek and close-in color views.

Those 'rectangular lineations' look a lot like the cemented fractures in Gale Crater. Description of cemented fractures.

They don't say anything about clay in the image caption, but it is evidence of water. My guess the MER team will want to take a look at this feature; maybe Oppy will scoop MSL.

Anyway, I hope so too. Go Oppy, go! wheel.gif
Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 10 2011, 08:10 PM) *
Now we know where it landed after it was sent spinning.

Close, Dan, but I think this is more likely...

Click to view attachment

tongue.gif
Bill Harris
And the P2405 sequence images today from Sol -2739 named "Sutherland Knobbys" is to the southeast and shows just the edge of the rectangular lineations. They are still mostly hidden by the ridge.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...G8P2405L2M1.JPG

and

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...G8P2405L2M1.JPG

"Sutherland Knobbys" is an interesting bit of Aussie history--

http://coalriver.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/...s-head-on-mars/

The prominent ridge in the second image is actually Sutherland Point in Botany Bay and Knobbys Head is behind it. Or so I think.

--Bill
eoincampbell
Don't want to Tar dis thread but... I hope we can investigate those features smile.gif ...
fredk
laugh.gif
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 11 2011, 12:36 AM) *
And the P2405 sequence images today from Sol -2739 named "Sutherland Knobbys" is to the southeast and shows just the edge of the rectangular lineations. They are still mostly hidden by the ridge.
I'd say that pancam sequence is looking more S-SW, well away from the "lineations". But the lineations are just visible in the navcams, here:
Click to view attachment
Obviously we'll need pancams (or to drive closer!) to make out any detail.
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Ron_Hobbs)
Those 'rectangular lineations' look a lot like the cemented fractures in Gale Crater

May very well be-- my first thought on those was "cold water hydrothermal cementation along fractures", which is another way of saying "mineral-saturated groundwater once filled the fractures. The water deposited minerals on both sides of the opening". There have been several suggestions of "cold water hydrothermal" activity at Meridiani and this clinches it.

--Bill
Bill Harris
QUOTE (FredK)
I'd say that pancam sequence is looking more S-SW, well away from the "lineations".
Errr, could be. I'm getting a bit disoriented here, even with tracking data and orbital images.

--Bill
fredk
Here's an identification of features to the NE, where the clay signatures lie:
Click to view attachment
(The inset is L/R registered average of the 2740 navcam, with 2x vertical stretch.)

The circled outcrops could be our first peek at the rocks we've been seeking for so long...
mhoward
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 10 2011, 07:24 PM) *
Here's an identification of features to the NE, where the clay signatures lie:

Nice. And if it helps with orientation at all (which is indeed challenging), the 360 degree panorama I posted above is centered on north, as are the circular projections.
walfy
Great new images of the Odyssey boulders have come down, looking forward to the mosaics (hope to learn how to make them myself one day). An example of the anaglyphs in store:

Click to view attachment
fredk
Yeah, I should say - I couldn't've made those ID's without your mosaic and the circular projections!

BTW, in case anyone isn't monitoring the website, the Endeavour approach movie has been compiled, with accelerometer soundtrack. Really nice.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pr.../20111010a.html
CosmicRocker
This paper associates phyllosilicates with polygonal lineations in HiRise imagery, and offers some other interesting observations regarding the directions that some of the layers dip.

3. Morphology and Stratigraphy
[10] Images of the phyllosilicate-bearing crater rim segments from the MRO High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) [McEwen et al., 2007] reveal layering and a range of polygonal textures (Figure 3a), similar in appearance to other phyllosilicate-bearing outcrops in Meridiani [Wiseman et al., 2008; Marzo et al., 2009] and many other locations on Mars [e.g., Wray et al., 2008; Bishop et al., 2008; Ehlmann et al., 2009]. Stereo views (Figure 3b) show that layers within the western rim dip away from the crater interior, as expected if the beds predate Endeavour crater and were back-tilted by the impact. In contrast, bright layers bounding many Endeavour rim segments [e.g., McEwen et al., 2009, Figure 29] dip down toward the crater interior; we cannot clearly determine whether these layers predate or postdate the impact based on orbital images.
charborob
QUOTE (walfy @ Oct 10 2011, 11:21 PM) *
Great new images of the Odyssey boulders have come down, looking forward to the mosaics.

See this post.
QUOTE (walfy @ Oct 10 2011, 11:21 PM) *
(hope to learn how to make them myself one day).

Try, for example, Photoshop Elements. There are also other software, free and commercial, out there. A Google search will come up with plenty of information.
fredk
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 11 2011, 06:17 AM) *
This paper associates phyllosilicates with polygonal lineations in HiRise imagery
Thanks for reminding us of that paper, Rocker. And Fig 3c in that paper shows the very polygons we're sitting next to right now!

So we know they'll be interested in them. And yesterday there was this cryptic message from Maxwell:
Driving Opportunity with Tara today. No real obstacles to avoid, but at least our path is zig-zaggy, a nice change of pace from the plains.
I can't wait to find out where we're going!

(Sorry I can't give the direct link to that post - I can't get them to work any more. Fixed.)
Stu
Colour mosaic, showing lots of rugged rocky goodness...

Click to view attachment
stevesliva
Are those clouds? I know the vertical stuff is dust, but there's a horizontal banding in there. Just fill?
Stu
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Oct 11 2011, 09:00 PM) *
Are those clouds? I know the vertical stuff is dust, but there's a horizontal banding in there. Just fill?

Lot of fill at the top, well spotted. Just look at the rocky stuff. wink.gif
fredk
No time to check, but it looks like we've driven up to the lineations, and they're visible clearly in the navcams now:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2742
Stu
Oooooohhhh.... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Stu
Just to give a sense of scale of these features, here's a cloned Oppy shown next to them ...

Click to view attachment

jamescanvin
My version of the Kirkland Lake mosaic:

That is some impressive rock pile! smile.gif

James
ngunn
[quote name='fredk' date='Oct 11 2011, 09:22 PM' post='179180']
"we've driven up to the lineations, and they're visible clearly in the navcams now"

Where are they in that image then? Can you point them out? Sorry not to have done my homework.
mhoward
Sol 2742 Navcam 360x80 left right anaglyph
mhoward
Because this area might just be of particular interest, here's a QuickTime VR of the Navcam panorama anaglyph (Sol 2742) (7.4 MB)

Edit: Worth noting: when you first open this, the view is pointing North. And the big inadvertent seam marks South.
Bill Harris
New enhanced crop of HiRISE image ESP_024015_1775 of the area surrounding the lineations:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/wil...ecular_city.png

--Bill
fredk
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 11 2011, 08:22 PM) *
No time to check, but it looks like we've driven up to the lineations
I should've checked - we're still a ways short of the main lineations. Here's my best guess of the 2742 location - we appear to be sitting on the edge of a small depression/crater:
Click to view attachment
To my eye, the bright features in the middle of the navcam I posted look quite linear, but they're clearly much too close to be the main "tardis" features. The "tardis" features should be in this frame, roughly where I've circled:
Click to view attachment
Those nearby features may still be related lineations, just too small to see clearly on the hirise view.
Jam Butty
The 'back' of Stoughton,
Pancam sol 2736, L257 R2-1,
Colour flicker gif with a synthesized right green channel (a la mhoward).

Click to view attachment
mhoward
QUOTE (Jam Butty @ Oct 11 2011, 08:08 PM) *
Colour flicker gif with a synthesized right green channel

Nice!
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Oct 11 2011, 03:42 PM) *
That is some impressive rock pile! ...

omg, that is sweet. smile.gif I love this outcrop.
CosmicRocker
This is some of the most amazing imagery we have ever seen of such ancient rocks.
Bill Harris
The lineations are indeed not readily visible from ground level. The sparse detritus overlying them "shields" the view at low viewing angles from the ground and blocks less in the "vertical" view of aerials. And they are undoubtedly mineralized joints or fractures, a form of low-temperature hydrothermal activity (a new word to bandy about). Probably created as stress-relief features from the unloading of the surface as the Endeavour rim has eroded (see them all the time in Appalachia) but they may also be related to shock from the concussion of the Endeavour impact (or earlier impacts). They are probably quite common here, but typically are less-visible and covered with the detritus of weathered material whereas at the spot the loose stuff has evidently been transported away. Notice that the Rover tracks sometimes disappear without an obvious change in the albedo or texture of the surface, so there is something different happening here.

Remember that we got a "preview" of lineations when we first arrived at CY and rushed by those fine, reddish lineations on the way to Odyssey. At any rate, the mineralogy of these structures will give great insight into conditions of the time. And a prequel of what cousin Curiosity ought to be looking at in Gale crater.

--Bill

Bill Harris
QUOTE (CR)
I love this outcrop

Indeed-- there is so much happening here.

--Bill

Stu
Just for fun - but scale is correct - a couple of simulated HiRISE views of what Oppy would look like if she continued to head north, stopping at some scenic points along the way...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
fredk
Nice post about the current mapping strategy at Lenda's blog.

Also some new maps, which split Shoemaker ridge into "A" and "B" (we're currently near B ).
Bill Harris
Neat. Does anyone know a public source for the topo map in Matt Lenda's late blog entry?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-F_1LEola0VQ/TpUK...labels_2742.png

'Twould be nice to be able to snag those from time to time...

--Bill
Jam Butty
Small outcrop on Shoemaker Ridge 'B'
Navcam flicker gif, sol 2742.

Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 12 2011, 08:45 AM) *
Neat. Does anyone know a public source for the topo map in Matt Lenda's late blog entry?...
Bill: I, too would like to find a source for that topo. We sometimes see some versions of that map at the Where are the Rovers now link at the JPL rover site. The OSU site is not very helpful in this regard.
CosmicRocker
Here — context image! Take it! You'll need it!

Matt: If you are going to post an image supporting a discussion about the need to find north facing slopes, you should either put a north arrow on your map, or you should follow the convention of making maps which have north at the top. Just a suggestion to make it easier for the rest us us to follow your line of reasoning. smile.gif
Bill Harris
I wasn't able to find an "OSU" on the Web. The entity OSU is apparently a loose university consortium of photogrammetric genuises and GIS geeks and not a physical brick-and-mortar organization with a receptionist and front office. I suspect that they develop maps and charts on an as-needed contract basis.

But this is standard photogrammetric work, developing topo maps from stereo pairs. The hard part is making the grid of elevations from the aerials, but this work is done with the contours provided on the map. I'm retired but can probably call in favors on powerful gridding software-- once the elevations and map control points are entered into an autocad-like file it would be trivial to generate one's own topo maps. This can be a lot of work, but do-able as a hobby and I may try it for grins and giggles some day.

Thanks to Matt for sharing this with us, and I surely wish we had a similar topo map of the adjacent area to the NE... wink.gif

--Bill
Phil Stooke
OSU - Ohio State University, where Dr. Ron Li and his group have been involved in rover location finding and mapping since the start of the mission!

Phil

http://shoreline.eng.ohio-state.edu/ron/_private/cv.html
Bill Harris
Yes, I saw Li's CV and know what OSU is and later found http://shoreline.eng.ohio-state.edu/ and even found this:

http://shoreline.eng.ohio-state.edu/album/...03/opp_2710.jpg

--Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.