Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The western route
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Julius
So now we're sailing in the north atlantic along the northeastern US COAST...watch out for JAWS next! blink.gif
tim53
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jul 22 2009, 07:03 AM) *
Tesheiner, would it be possible put a label for Block Island on your map (even if too small to actually see on the map image)? I'm confused as to which crater it is sitting in front of. It isn't Alvin?

Block Island is visible in the HiRISE image, meaning it's fairly large, which is one reason we're going back. Other reason(s) I'll leave up to the reader! (more fun that way!)
wink.gif

-Tim.
fredk
I estimate Block Island is roughly 25 cm tall by 50 cm wide (orthogonal to our line of sight). That's assuming it's sitting at the same elevation as Oppy's wheels were, and also that the horizon was level with pancam. (Probably not horrible approximations on Meridiani!)

Could someone who has the full resolution HiRISE post a full res crop showing the area of Block Island? I estimate it's about 50 metres S or SSW from the sol 1942 location.
Sunspot
QUOTE (alan @ Jul 22 2009, 12:38 PM) *
Going back for closer look at this perhaps?
Click to view attachment

Looks like a Land Rover stuck in the Sahara..... kind of unsure.gif
SFJCody
Great news! smile.gif This will take me more time to tweak my google earth map extension (it's proving trickier than i thought).
Reckless
Hi FredK
Here's a crop of the region I think you want.
I may be wrong, can't see the rock.
I can crop a different area if you wish.

Roy F
tim53
Roy:

It's in there!

-Tim.
HughFromAlice
Would someone who can see where it is please circle it and repost the pic! Can't see it. huh.gif
tim53
QUOTE (HughFromAlice @ Jul 22 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Would someone who can see where it is please circle it and repost the pic! Can't see it. huh.gif

Click to view attachment
djellison
I can well understand why we're going to have a look. Not only does it look different to all the surrounding rock - it's also, I'd guess, the single largest rock not in a crater that Opportunity has ever seen.
SFJCody
Wow, that's a long drive back. Whatever it is that the rover team thinks this might be has got to be a lot more interesting than another iron meteorite!
Tesheiner
Thanks for pointing the rock Tim. smile.gif
Added it to the latest KML file in the route map thread.
Drkskywxlt
Can someone summarize the reasons their taking the big west (almost northwest) turn? Is it more stable ground to drive on? Sorry if I missed this many pages back. Thanks!
nprev
Hmm. Well, as Doug pointed out, BI is an anomaly in its own right even on cursory examination. However, Tim is hinting that there are other less obvious reasons for the close-up exam.

It sure is dark, which to me indicates that might be a relatively recent, hefty meteorite. On the other hand, it might be an ejecta block from a fresh impact in the area...say, maybe from over near the recently-more-interesting region near Endeavour? Are you guys looking for clay early? wink.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 22 2009, 04:48 PM) *
Tim is hinting that there are other less obvious reasons for the close-up exam.

Was there perhaps a tantalizing mini-TES image taken? Does it even work on Opportunity anymore?
fredk
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jul 23 2009, 02:06 AM) *
Does it even work on Opportunity anymore?

No.
serpens
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 23 2009, 01:22 AM) *

So the attempt to clear the dusty mirror by leaving it exposed has failed?
serpens
QUOTE (glennwsmith @ Jul 22 2009, 03:30 AM) *
... Any guess as to the size of the original meteorite? I'm thinking about 8 inches in diameter . . .

Glenn, the size would depend on the meteor type and velocity. Was this a secondary? Was it at terminal velocity or faster? The link takes a lot of the effort out of 'what iffing' this question.
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/tekton/crater_c.html
glennwsmith
Serpens, thanks for the link to the crater diameter calculator -- it is fascinating! And I am perhaps not so far off! A 0.2 m diameter meteor of dense rock (not iron), traveling at 45 km/sec (the upper end of the range for Mars impacts), and striking "competent rock" will create a crater 3.49 m (appx. 12 feet) in diameter.

But Block Island is even more fascinating!!! Is anyone sure that's why we've turned around?

tim53
Doug has it. It's the biggest thing not associated with a crater that we've seen. And it's not outcrop.

-Tim.
nprev
Certainly reason enough. And there I was, spinning out into left field... rolleyes.gif
glennwsmith
Alan, my man! What led you to this felicitous observation? Just your own curiosity about that big black rock?
alan
Just thought 'hey that looks interesting' when MMB downloaded the images, that and 'too bad Oppy has already driven away'

I'm also wondering if it's located far enough south for Oppy to see some of the terrain to the south that's currently hidden from view.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (tim53 @ Jul 22 2009, 11:19 PM) *
Doug has it. It's the biggest thing not associated with a crater that we've seen. And it's not outcrop.
-Tim.

I thought there was a significantly larger "erratic" boulder observed near Erebus. Some here were surprised that that one was not more closely investigated at the time. I'm not suggesting that either was a glacial erratic, only that it was an erratic boulder on Mars.
Burmese
But what took the team so long to decide to turn around and go investigate BI? Someone maybe took a second look at the downloaded images a few days after their initial evaluation and raised a big flag? Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall during that ops meeting....
fredk
Thanks for the maps, guys. I now measure the distance to BI to be 66 metres from the sol 1942 location. That gives a size for the rock of about 67 cm wide by 30 cm high.

The approximate size of BI would've been known before they moved away from the 1942 location - the navcams were down and the pancams were targeted. So I'm guessing that the spectral info from the BI pancam sequence was important in the decision to go back.

Do the oldtimers here remember another time that they turned back to study a target? There's been backtracking due to mobility problems, but I don't recall anything like this.
fredk
QUOTE (Burmese @ Jul 23 2009, 04:01 PM) *
But what took the team so long to decide to turn around and go investigate BI?

To add to my post above, the BI pancam sequence only came down late Saturday. The sol 1950 drive was Sunday. So it would make sense that they didn't turn back till 1952 if the pancam sequence was the trigger.
alan
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 23 2009, 10:04 AM) *
Do the oldtimers here remember another time that they turned back to study a target? There's been backtracking due to mobility problems, but I don't recall anything like this.

They turned Spirit back on sol 454 when the layering at Methuselah was spotted while Spirit was attempting to drive up Husband Hill. Spirit then spent an additional two month's there.

For several months, Spirit climbed a flank of Husband Hill, the tallest in the range. The slope closely matched the angle of underlying rock layers, which made the layering difficult to detect. Spirit reached an intermediate destination, dubbed "Larry's Lookout," then continued uphill and looked back. "That was the critical moment, when it all began falling into place," Squyres said. "Looking back downhill, you can see the layering, and it suddenly starts to makes sense."

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pr.../20050524a.html

Methuselah:
http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_...selah_new2.html
centsworth_II
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 23 2009, 01:47 AM) *
I thought there was a significantly larger "erratic" boulder observed near Erebus....

Is this the one?
Click to view attachment
From hortonheardawho
centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 23 2009, 10:04 AM) *
Do the oldtimers here remember another time that they turned back to study a target?

There was talk of heading back to Erebus after leaving Victoria. At the same time, the talk was of studying cobbles out on the plain. I wonder if some on the team wished they had taken a closer look at that "erratic boulder" which looked like the Mother of All Cobbles to me.
fredk
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jul 23 2009, 05:20 PM) *
Is this the one?

Thanks for finding that. That was viewed from the Olympia site. You can see from this image that it's maybe more of a rubble pile than a boulder:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...KCP2283L7M1.JPG
I get around 40 by 17 cm size for it, so BI is a fair bit bigger.
serpens
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 23 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Do the oldtimers here remember another time that they turned back to study a target?

I think the only other time was for Paso Robles. But that was a short hop.
fredk
QUOTE (serpens @ Jul 23 2009, 02:28 AM) *
So the attempt to clear the dusty mirror by leaving it exposed has failed?

That's right, so far:
The shroud of the Mini-TES continues to be left open on scheduled sols to allow the environment to clean putative dust contamination from the elevation mirror. No improvement in Mini-TES performance has been observed so far, but the rover has seen no wind events.
fredk
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jul 20 2009, 07:35 AM) *
There are a few mini-craters in sight. The one to the right (NW) was named "Alvin".

Could it be Alvin was a target near the crater? Here they seem to refer to that crater as "Kaiko."
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jul 23 2009, 10:20 AM) *
Is this the one? ...

Yeah, I guess it is; but it appeared several times larger in my memory. laugh.gif
glennwsmith
Drksywxlt, yes, the rovers have been sent on some seemingly roundabout routes to avoid bad ground, esp. since Oppy got stuck for several weeks in a sand dune. If there is one thing we have learned here at UMSF, it's that the rover team knows what it is doing.
djellison
I guess in the category of 'turn back to go somewhere' - the traverse of the northern rim of Victoria, only to enter at the very point we arrived must count smile.gif But there was a very good reason for that.
climber
QUOTE (glennwsmith @ Jul 24 2009, 06:24 AM) *
if there is one thing we have learned here at UMSF, it's that the rover team knows what it is doing.

Yep, and that... the rovers don't wheel.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 24 2009, 05:53 AM) *
Could it be Alvin was a target near the crater? Here they seem to refer to that crater as "Kaiko."

Mmm, strange... huh.gif
There were two pancam shots taken at that site, the first named Alvin pointing to the crater at the NW (right) and the second named Dolphin pointing to another one at the WSW (left). Here's an MMB snapshot with the images in context.
Click to view attachment

01950::p2385::20::9::0::0::9::1::19::pancam_Alvin_L257
01950::p2386::20::3::0::0::3::1::7::pancam_Dolphin_L257

So, perhaps it should be named Alvin/Kaiko; both are vessels used in deep sea exploration.
Tesheiner
Another interesting note in the latest status report: "As of Sol 1952 (July 21, 2009), Opportunity's solar array energy production was 493 watt-hours with an atmospheric opacity (tau) of 0.462 and a dust factor of 0.559."

That's an almost 20% boost in energy production compared to the previous week (414 Whr). biggrin.gif
Phil Stooke
The crater namers forgot that they had already used the name Alvin. Check out the very first post in the Opportunity Route Map thread many years ago... So they had to re-name the crater.

Phil
Tesheiner
Thanks for the info, Phil.

Time for another map update... rolleyes.gif
Tesheiner
Here's our target "Block Island" in sight some 20m to the south.
We might get there in one driving sol and in position for IDD work in two more.
Click to view attachment
SFJCody
Two foreign forms on a sand ribbed plain

One low entropy
The other high

One moves
The other still

One itinerant
The other resident

One seeks
The other found

The seeker approaches
Stu
Land - well, something interesting - ho..!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BrianL
At this distance and angle, my mind is turning that object into a tiny boat being tossed about in the waves. smile.gif
Bobby
What are those Crab Fishermen from The Deadliest Catch doing here on Mars?

Are they trying to catch cobbles of crabs here? rolleyes.gif
glennwsmith
SFJCody, your poem is clever and elegant. It calls to mind this one:

Ozymandias
Percy Bysshe Shelley

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

Hope I am not duplicating the work of someone else who has been inspired by the Meridiani landscape to post this poem . . . (and Stu -- haven't digested your longer poem yet -- but to whom does "The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed" refer to, ie, can you diagram that sentence?)

And a related analog is, of course, the Rosetta Stone -- which is black -- and Block Island may prove to be a geological Rosetta Stone.
Enceladus75
The latest traverse map looks puzzling. ohmy.gif Does this mean the Oppy team have now abandoned going West and will resume a route to the South?

Or is there some other reason for the U turn?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Enceladus75 @ Jul 27 2009, 09:25 PM) *
...Or is there some other reason for the U turn?

Go back to post 43 of this thread and read on from there.

Yes, the reason is to go back for a look at the rock, Block Island.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.