Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The western route
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
fredk
New anaglyph view of BI from sol 1973. I've done a gamma tweak to bring out the shadows. You can make out the so-called "pedestal" quite clearly. To me, it looks like a bit of a ridge similar to what we see elsewhere around here (look at the images of the "South America" outcrop, eg.), rather than a pedestal associated with BI.
Click to view attachment
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 23 2009, 12:37 AM) *
looks like a bit of a ridge

Very nice anaglyph.

It seems as though the underlying rock at right hand side of the base of BI is flush with the ground and about 2/3rds of the way across to the right, after the 'blueberry patch', starts to rise evenly so that the left hand side forms a 'mini' cliff. I really enjoyed having a good long look at your work.
CosmicRocker
This is a much better view than the previous ones. But I would have to say that the raised outcrop doesn't resemble other nearby ridges in detail. This bedrock rise is vertical on it's eastern side, whereas almost all of the other bedrock ridges have gentle eastern slopes, including "South America." Just because part of the purported pedestal merges with the regional surface isn't enough evidence to rule out a pedestal landform here. I'm not convinced this actually is an erosional pedestal, yet, but I can't say it isn't, either. We will probably not get all the required views to settle the question. We would really need views from several sides to see if the vertical sides of the bedrock protuberance roughly conform to the shape of the meteorite.

This is, however, what makes armchair planetary exploration such exquisite fun. Imagine how much fun it would be to be one of the persons who could say, "OK, Let's move the rover to the other side and take images of targets X, Y, and Z. smile.gif

(edited to correct grammar)
Stu
Very dramatic shot...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...C7P1214L0M1.JPG
climber
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 21 2009, 06:02 PM) *
...because they only have one test bed at JPL and that one is busy right now. wink.gif

You're wrong Dan: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/freespirit/ biggrin.gif wink.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (climber @ Aug 24 2009, 12:25 PM) *

As far as I can tell from that article they will be using the second test rover in the same test bed location. Nothing here indicates that there are two testing locations.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (climber @ Aug 21 2009, 12:08 AM) *
... My guess is that when Oppy will resume driving she could go on her previous tracks. ...

<out of lurk mode after a month-long vacations at the mediterranean coast>

She came to the current site on an almost 180º heading but I saw some drive-planning shots being taken a few sols ago and those were pointing NNW (-30º), to the left of the previous tracks. Perhaps looking for a short cut...
climber
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 24 2009, 11:00 PM) *
As far as I can tell from that article they will be using the second test rover in the same test bed location. Nothing here indicates that there are two testing locations.

Oh yes I agree, I was just telling that they've got TWO test rovers now, which is very good, and not only one as you said. I jumped on the (bad) occasion to tease you.
BTW the article shows that, as the 2nd TeeBee is lighter, this helps to reproduce the lighter Mars gravity...which is a recurrent question here on UMSF.
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 24 2009, 11:04 PM) *
<out of lurk mode after a month-long vacations at the mediterranean coast>

She came to the current site on an almost 180º heading but I saw some drive-planning shots being taken a few sols ago and those were pointing NNW (-30º), to the left of the previous tracks. Perhaps looking for a short cut...

Thanks for the Info Eduardo, and welcome back to work.
I'd said they can resume driving now that you're back.
Astro0
Stu: Very dramatic shot...

Absolutely right! wink.gif
Click to view attachment
alan
Nice details in this microimage
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...C7P2976M2M1.JPG
sdavies
I thought this version of the recently linked microimage might amuse you.

antoniseb
QUOTE (sdavies @ Aug 26 2009, 03:10 PM) *
I thought this version of the recently linked microimage might amuse you.

Oh those Martian sculptors and their bas-relief work... wink.gif
alan
The laminar micro-structure visible in the microimage I linked above reminds me of the pearlite micro-structure visible in this image
fredk
QUOTE (sdavies @ Aug 26 2009, 09:10 PM) *
... might amuse you.

Continuing the 2001 theme, I couldn't help but see a resemblance... With my full apologies in advance...
centsworth_II
Boy! This guy really gets around!
Click to view attachment
Stu
Looks kinda messy over there... not lots of mini Block Islands, surely..?

Click to view attachment
Hercules
Click to view attachment
Some of the latest pancam images appear to show that the edge of Endeavour crater is so close. It will be exciting to see these get even larger in the images as Opprtunity gets closer.
imipak
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 27 2009, 06:18 PM) *
not lots of mini Block Islands, surely..?

If so, and a prolonged survey campaign results, could the rover team be called cobblers?

...I'll get me coat.
ilbasso
As with Spirit and the quest for Von Braun, I'm beginning to wonder if it would be faster to wait for the mountain to come to Mohammed than for our rovers to finally get there on their own!

(Patience is a rare commodity with us back-seat drivers.)
Juramike
Sol 1980 images looking back along the tracks.
(Autostitched and contrast-corrected to make look pretty.)

Click to view attachment
Juramike
Sol 1959 Pan (just a bit more foreground than previous versions.):

Click to view attachment

(manually Photomerged, warped, brightened/darkened, contrast-adjusted, etc.)

-Mike
Juramike
My try at an anaglyph of Block Island from Sol 1959 images:

Click to view attachment
PhilCo126
Amazing image of the biggest meteorite found on Mars mars.gif
Is by any chance someone working on a high resolution color image showing the surroundings of the meteorite?
I would like to use it for my upcoming article "Six Years MER operations on Mars!" due for the January 2010 monthly magazine Spaceflight, which already featured 3 covers made by UMSF forum-members... Please PM me wink.gif
Tesheiner
Based on the info from the pancam web: tomorrowsol (1995) is planned for driving.
Positioning the rover at another target on Block Island or wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif ?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Sep 2 2009, 06:36 PM) *
Is by any chance someone working on a high resolution color image showing the surroundings of the meteorite?

There is a 360 degree pan taken while Oppy has been parked here that is almost all down. I'll be making a version of the pan as usual. smile.gif
centsworth_II
I wonder if possible desert varnish on Block Island is being studied by Opportunity. This thought came to me as I looked at some of hortonhadawho's musings here.
Tesheiner
In another post (#276) he has the answer to my question about the upcoming drive. It's the former option.

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 3 2009, 09:05 AM) *
Based on the info from the pancam web: tomorrowsol (1995) is planned for driving.
Positioning the rover at another target on Block Island or wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif ?

From the The Planetary Society Aug 31, 2009 MER Update:

Once Opportunity finishes its close-up examination, the plan is to have the rover drive around Block Island. “The scientists want to create a 3-D model of this meteorite,” informed Laubach. “Because of all the shadowing and all the cracks and everything, we'll be taking images at different times of day and with the MI to look underneath to get as complete a view of this meteorite as possible,” she said.
Oersted
All those meteorites lying around.... Really goes to show how little the surface is being altered. How many meteorites wouldn´t we have lying around on planet e
Earth if our surface wasn´t being constantly altered?
nprev
Yeah; it's amazing, really. Meridiani is old, clearly.

It's interesting to consider the possible future implications of so many meteorites lying about in this region. Wonder if anyone might need easy sources of nearly pure iron & nickel as well as organics someday...?
Stu
Looks like Oppy's started to head around Block Island...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
climber
I didn't see this subject discussed here but I may have missed it.
My question is about eventual disturbance of wind, i.e. dunes, by BI.
Any effect would be visible from a short distance (~10m) as well as by doing the round loop around.
Any thought?
jamescanvin
The Block Island Panorama

Polar Projection

Enjoy,

James
imipak
Not-quite desert varnish...
"Rock Coatings at the MER and Phoenix Landing Sites", Diana L. Blaney, Athena Science Team, Phoenix Science Team
(http://www.abstractsonline.com/plan/ViewAb...e7-5f15c4bfb759Thursday, Oct 08, 2009, 5:00 PM - 5:10 PM)

http://www.abstractsonline.com/plan/ViewAb...e7-5f15c4bfb759

Martian rocks frequently exhibit relatively high albedo ferrous iron-rich coatings that are the product of local alteration. [...]

If the direct link doesn't work try ngunn's front-door link posted on the "41st DPS October 2009" topic: http://www.abstractsonline.com/plan/start....08CED373A512%7D
...and click through to Mars Surface to see the list of presentations.
Floyd
I hope when they leave BI they take a slight detour and swing by the dense field of cobbles. No stopping, just pictures on the fly. biggrin.gif
Astro0
As we head towards Sol2000 for Opportunity (keep an eye out for a new poster and poem soon) and as she heads around to look at the other side of Block Island, I thought you might enjoy this little postcard from Mars. smile.gif
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Stu
Nice postcards Astro0! smile.gif

Couple more "from this side" Block Island pictures before we trek around t'other side...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is James's great panorama - just a strip along the horizon - wrapped into a circle with extreme vertical exaggeration. It gives a more map-like view of the region, and it shows the shallow crater south of here that the western route is designed to drive around.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Burmese
I'm a little surprised that all the Block island content hasn't been migrated to a separate thread from 'The western route', considering how much time and energy Oppy is spending on the object.
djellison
You can remain surprised. We'll start a new one after we set off from BI
BrianL
OK, but given that Oppy ended up practically where she started, I think we should consider this a false start, and refer to the next thread as the REAL 5th leg. biggrin.gif
Stu
Oppy's latest view as she drives slowly alongside BI...

Click to view attachment
fredk
Rather than migrating the BI posts to a new thread, it might make more sense to just rename this thread (or its subtitle) to include a mention of BI, since the return to BI was first mentioned on page 3 out of 27 of this thread! That would make it easier for people to search for BI-related posts in the future.
Stu
3D version of the view posted above...

http://twitpic.com/guv21/full

centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 7 2009, 12:39 PM) *
Rather than migrating the BI posts to a new thread, it might make more sense to just rename this thread...

~~The Western Route~~
Mystery at Block Island
djellison
Or how about the title doesn't actually matter and we just get on with our lives?

Yup- we have a winner.
nprev
Great shot, Stu!

Boy, what a difference just a meter or so of movement makes in viewing. Look how deep some of those vesicles seem to be on the 'windward' side!

Sure wish that we could roll it over. Would love to see if that apparent wind erosion is present on the bottom as well. It's tempting to speculate that it might be an EDL artifact rather than an effect of chronic exposure to prevailing surface winds.
fredk
Here are my versions of the latest pancam anaglyph view, one optimized for sharpness (L7/R1) and one gamma tweaked for the shadows (L2/R2):
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
I especially like that second one, fredk. It doesn't look much like a pedestal from this angle, does it?
serpens
nprev. I'm a bit acronym challenged.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/EDL

Entry Descent Landing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.