Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The western route
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Stu
Probably my last close-up colourisation of Block Island...

http://twitpic.com/hphj7/full

I know it's good to be driving again, and new wonders await us on the road ahead, but I'll miss it! sad.gif
climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 14 2009, 03:54 PM) *
I know it's good to be driving again, and new wonders await us on the road ahead, but I'll miss it! sad.gif

Yep, but you've got to say BI(e) BI(e)... biggrin.gif
Tesheiner
Moved a few posts to (what I think is) the current thread on this western leg started on sol 2004.

Let's keep this thread for posts still related to Block Island.
Astro0
OK, one more animation of Block Island.
This time with the background removed (best guess clipping around BI).
Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
That's pretty cool! But it hardly looks like the same rock from all those different perspectives...

--Emily
Astro0
Thanks Emily.
BTW - you are the official winner of the UMSF 'Cutest Avatar EVER!' competition.
Nice UMSF branding of Sanaya as well wink.gif
elakdawalla
smile.gif Thank Doug for the UMSF branding, it was his gift to Anahita lo these many years ago. Finally get to reuse it on the second kid.
Airbag
QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Sep 10 2009, 12:19 PM) *
What's the theory behind the cavity? Could the entry forces have separated that piece to oblivion, or is it sitting in fragments on Meridiani ?

One theory I have heard from a "source high up" is that the meteorite may originally have consisted of two different components, and that the weaker one has abraded away over the eons once on the surface of Mars, thus leaving that irregular cavity. If the cavity had been caused by an entry event you'd expect to see the typical smooth scalloped edges instead.

Airbag
CosmicRocker
Agreed. The assumption that Block Island was originally a mesosiderite or similar stony-iron meteorite makes the most sense to me.
elakdawalla
Hey rover fans, I am preparing my "Year in Pictures 2009" feature for The Planetary Report and for Opportunity I would like to include an image that (1) contains Block Island, so I can talk about a meteorite big enough to be seen from orbit; (2) contains some dunes and horizon, so I can talk about the long journey to Endeavour; (3) is in color, because color pictures are prettier; and (4) can be printed at least 6 inches across at 300 dpi (so, minimum width of 1800 pix). The obvious choice would be a cropped view of the Block Island panorama, but the rectangular projection really stretches out Block Island, and I'm not real fond of the extreme horizon curvature of the polar projection. The PIA12161 perspective is kind of nice but is too low-res, and is not in color. Does anyone here have any suggested solutions?
jamescanvin
I've played around with alternative projections to accomplish something like this before, e.g. this from Low Ridge in '06. I could have a go at doing the same for my Block Island pan if you wish.

James
Tman
Had just an "inspiration" that one could make (in addition) such a 3Dcrosseye tour around Block Island (in b/w).

Clicking on the image loads the next one: http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/meteorites/blockisland1.htm

Mod: moved to its proper thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.