Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The western route
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Floyd
MI Remember that all the bays of Victoria were carved by aeolian erosion. As Doug pointed out, the process goes slow, but in 10's or 100's of millions of years, mountains of material can be eroded away.
Phil Stooke
I would have said those bays were formed by collapse - landslides probably localized by fractures. Wind just moves the debris around a bit.

Maybe the hazcams show the underside of the rock well enough to reveal its shape. - EDIT: the sol 1959 FHAZ images don't seem to show any pedestal.

Phil
Fran Ontanaya
What I see is a little lump, and maybe some hollow space before it, as if the rock tipped. The rock isn't resting on it.
MarkG
RE: BI pedestal, etc....
Over the billion year (+-) life of this landscape there have been occasional hard shakes due to tectonic or impact earthquakes. This would certainly topple any pedestal and otherwise alter the resting of BI. This factor needs to be considered. As an aside, this type of short-term-rare but long-term-likely seismic shake would affect surface cracking in general...
(another side question: why haven't we seen any more "Anatolia" types of gaping cracks snaking across the landscape?)

Sometimes strange things can happen. I recall an article about boulders creeping across a dry lake bed in the California desert. Turns out that with a little rain, the super-concentrated brine acted as a grease, and the desert winds could blow the rocks across the lake bed.

HughFromAlice
Stitch of latest - sol1967 - Block Island MI images. Especially for you geologists to enjoy!!

1 (Posted below) - With min brightness, contrast and intensity adjustment from originals - Full size 1.4M at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kililpi/3797029362/
2 (Not posted here) - With BCI adjusted to give best bottom 2/3rds pic - on my screen! - Full size 1.4M at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kililpi/3797027720/

Click to view attachment

PDP8E
pedestal or not....(cont.)

here is a pancam view that has been processed using a (slightly modified) classic CLAHE technique
(seeing in shadows)

* The transition from shadow to light has a processing illusion that makes the shadow look depressed (ignore it)
* The other observation is that the jpeg compression in the uniform dark shadow becomes very apparent as the histogram is equalized...

my interpretation is that this just a pavement chunk that we have seen all over the planum. The pavement takes a jog to the left under BI so that it appears to be a vertical structure (i.,e. pedestal from the camera's POV) if you put your finger over that left jog under BI the illusion goes away and it looks like pavement. I am fairly confident that the left jog does not touch BI.

Another image from a different angle (move the rover) will add more data

...your mileage may vary...

Click to view attachment

cheers
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (CryptoEngineer @ Aug 6 2009, 09:46 AM) *
I'm trying to picture how such a pedestal could form. ... Have I got it right?

It seems to me that if we really aren't sure if this is a pedestal or not, there's an easy way to find out: Spirit has been using its MI to get some notion as to what's going on underneath it. Oppy could use it to get a worms-eye view of the base of BI, and see if there is daylight around the edges of BI. ...

I don't know if you've got it right or not, but your analysis is pretty much the way I see it. The imagery available is provocative, but we can't be certain that the feature being discussed is truly an erosional pedestal, protected by its caprock. I like your idea of using the MI for a closer inspection, but it would be very unusual for the team to use the MI for a task it was not designed for. I think it would also be quite surprising to see them using the rover to intentionally study "geomorphic" processes on Mars.

One would have to suspect that an overlying, resistant rock would tend to protect its base from aeolian erosion, but aside from this rock, we really haven't seen any other obvious pedestals beneath other resistant rocks in the region, or have we?
nprev
I'm going to jump on PDP's bandwagon, actually; that paving stone does look like it jogs to the left, and the underside illumination is tricky enough to play perspective tricks. More data definitely needed, though.

Re studying "geomorphic" features: CR, I think that if in fact this is a pedestal that would indeed be a significant finding worth detailed examination since it could tell us some things about the gross history of Meridiani. Not a Rosetta Stone by any means, but if the overall 'floor' has eroded since BI's been in place (however long THAT is) that would pose the question of why it's so generally uniform & level everywhere else we've seen. Eolian erosion usually doesn't produce flat surfaces; it removes it from one place & piles it up elsewhere (so I'd expect BI to have a tail dune). Furthermore, that might mean that even the local weather patterns have been extraordinarily constant for a very long time, and that might have some implications for the cyclical climate theories.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 7 2009, 01:32 AM) *
...if the overall 'floor' has eroded since BI's been in place (however long THAT is) that would pose the question of why it's so generally uniform & level everywhere else we've seen....

Whether it occurred before or after BI arrived, I thought the presence of the layer of loose berries on the surface indicated a meter or so of rock which once contained the berries having been worn away. Am I wrong in assuming that the loose berries indicate a 'proven' removal of about a meter of rock from Opportunity's stomping grounds (according to the mainstream hypothesis)?
dvandorn
I thought the theory here was that the northern plains (where Oppy landed) are blueberry-paved deposits formed as you described, with the deflation of a good meter or so of soft sulfate-rich sandstone that halted when the freed concretions provided an anti-aeolian "armor." The remains of the sulfate rock that was blown away composes the extensive ripple structures to the south (through which we're currently traveling). This terrain didn't have as many concretions buried in its sandstone layers, and so never developed the full armoring. Instead, ripple structures protect the remaining sandstone paving in the ripple fields from further erosion.

-the other Doug
fredk
Here's my attempt at an anaglyph from the sol 1961 pancam closeup of the big jagged pit:
Click to view attachment
This included a 20.7 degree relative rotation. The result still isn't perfect, but hopefully I've minimized headaches from viewing this...
Stu
Based on pics and Google Earth files posted in the Opportunity route thread, is Block Island just visible on a HiRISE image at full mag..?

Click to view attachment
djellison
Yes - it is - after all, Tim said it was smile.gif
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 9 2009, 03:44 AM) *
anaglyph big jagged pit

Really good - great sense of depth. Those two stalks sticking out at the bottom look really fragile. There's a couple or so more smaller similar structures around the edge of the hole. Fascinating. Anyone, any idea what sort of erosional processes might have been responsible?
Stu
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 9 2009, 12:02 PM) *

Must have missed that post, sorry.

erpol
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 9 2009, 01:02 PM) *

What are the HiRISE guys waiting to take a shot with Oppy? rolleyes.gif

Ok. Back to lurking...
Ermanno

centsworth_II
QUOTE (HughFromAlice @ Aug 9 2009, 06:48 AM) *
...Those two stalks sticking out at the bottom look really fragile.... any idea what sort of erosional processes might have been responsible?

I wonder if they started as products of the plunge onto Mars. Streamers of molten iron refrozen before impact. Or perhaps they were formed during the creation of the original asteroid. Of course, weathering on Mars would have taken place as well.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (erpol @ Aug 9 2009, 09:14 AM) *
What are the HiRISE guys waiting to take a shot with Oppy?

They're preoccupied at the time. But you're right, an MRO image of Opportunity at BI would be great.

"The powerful Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) unexpectedly switched to its redundant Side B computer and subsystems before entering a protective safe mode on Thursday....'Taking the spacecraft back out of safe mode is one of the earlier steps in resuming full science operations, which is expected to take several days,' Webster added."
jamescanvin
Catching up with recent drive direction mosaics.

All these link to the same page

Sol 1910

Sol 1912

Sol 1920

Sol 1942

Sol 1946

Sol 1947

James
jamescanvin
And the Reeds Bay Pan:

James
Stu
C'mon guys, show us what's on the other side... and the underside...! wink.gif

Click to view attachment
fredk
In case anyone missed it, from Maxwell's blog they may be considering just that:
imaging other sides of Block Island is under discussion
Stu
What's to discuss? Oppy's sat at the corner of "No" and "Where", next to the biggest, most gorgeous frakking meteorite seen during the whole mission, surrounded by mile after mile of (bleep) all... what else are they gonna do? rolleyes.gif

Seriously, I know it's not a priority, and they have a lot of things to consider. The meteorite collector, rock hound and martian tourists in me are all just desperate to see the whole thing. smile.gif
Stu
Been a while since we saw an outcrop this pretty...

Click to view attachment
Floyd
Clearly should be called South America! laugh.gif
Nirgal
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 10 2009, 06:57 PM) *
... what else are they gonna do? rolleyes.gif

"Drive, Drive, Drive" Squyres said.

"Opportunity is going for the home run of Endeavour Crater."
http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/0131_Mars_Exploration_Update_Spirit_and.html ://http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/...pirit_and.html

Our final destination is still 15 kilometers away ... and many more un-seen wonders are waiting to be studied there wink.gif

SCNR
Nirgal

fredk
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 3 2009, 06:00 AM) *
Since we normally etch iron-nickel meteorites with acid to expose their Widmanstatten structure, the fact that this naturally weathered, Martian meteorite may be displaying such internal crystallinity on its surface suggests that it may have been exposed to an acidic environment in its past.

There's a lot of interesting info about BI in the latest press release. For example, in relation to Rocker's comment above,
"Normally this pattern is exposed when the meteorite is cut, polished and etched with acid," said Tim McCoy, a rover team member from the Smithsonian Institution in Washington. "Sometimes it shows up on the surface of meteorites that have been eroded by windblown sand in deserts, and that appears to be what we see with Block Island."

Also,
At about a half ton or more, Block Island is... several times too big to have landed intact without more braking than today's Martian atmosphere could provide.

"Consideration of existing model results indicates a meteorite this size requires a thicker atmosphere," said rover team member Matt Golombek... "Either Mars has hidden reserves of carbon-dioxide ice that can supply large amounts of carbon-dioxide gas into the atmosphere during warm periods of more recent climate cycles, or Block Island fell billions of years ago."
glennwsmith
Yes, unlike many a press release, the JPL press release cited by Fredk is WELL worth while. And Alan, you have bragging rights for some time on UMSF -- that dark rock off to the South of Oppy's path has turned out to be quite a find!
CosmicRocker
Considering that the meteorite is sitting on a sandy, wind-swept plain, it's logical to assume the patterns were etched by blown sand. I had never seen an example of an Fe-Ni meteorite displaying Widmanstatten structure on a naturally weathered surface, but the full images and captions page from that press release contains a nice example found on Earth, on which they say the pattern was enhanced by sand-blasting.

I was hoping that the two hypotheses, abrasive wind blasting and acid etching, might be distinguished with the tools available to the rover. After doing a little digging around, it appears that is going to be difficult. The pattern essentially exists because of alternating crystalline layers of two minerals, taenite and kamacite. The pattern can become visible due to differences in their acid solubilities or their resistances to aolian erosion. It appears that kamacite's hardness is 4, while that of taenite is 5 to 5.5. Kamacite is also more soluble in acid solutions than taenite. The bottom line is, kamacite layers should be eroded or corroded more deeply, regardless of whether acid solutions or blowing grains were the cause.
SFJCody
There's an interesting discussion of BI on the meteorite mailing list. Look for the thread that starts out titled 'Must-see Martian in 3-D'.
HughFromAlice
I've finally bitten the bullet and done a colour image - I worked on SAmerica but I reckon it's just about worth having another version of, even if it's my first try. Colour looks quite good on my screen!! There's certainly a lot to learn - but it's heaps of fun....and to have fresh Mars pics to do it with!! With the likes of James, Ant, Stu, Astro0 (to mention a few!) there's high standards to aim for..... thanks for inspiring me you guys.

Will try to post now and again when I get time.

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Awesome job Hugh! crisp, colorful, and relevant!

Thanks for sharing!
HughFromAlice
Thanks PDP8E! I'll definitely try and do a post or two when I can. Midnight Mars Browser makes it so easy to grab and review MER pics.
Stu
Just got back from work and saw your pic Hugh. Good job! :-)
MarsIsImportant
This always amuses me. rolleyes.gif People generally see what they want to see.

That image that supposedly looks like South America was cropped. unsure.gif The actual outcrop extends further up and down, if you zoomed out. blink.gif Because of the cropping of the image, the illusion is that the outline appears to be South America shaped. In reality, it is far different. smile.gif

Regardless, it is a great image!! I like it too. biggrin.gif
Stu
I saw a crocodile.

Oh. Ok. Just me then. laugh.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (MarsIsImportant @ Aug 11 2009, 04:52 PM) *
That image that supposedly looks like South America was cropped.

I can't tell if the "South America" outcrop pictured in the Sub-Frame EDRs is seen in any of the larger images.
If it is, I can't pick it out. I don't know if Sub-Frame EDRs would be called crops.
Click to view attachment
http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/all/opportunity_p1969.html
Phil Stooke
I thought it was Spitsbergen...

Phil
Floyd
The complete outcrop looks nothing like SA, but the crop does.

BrianL
Well, now I see an ichthyosaur. I guess, technically a fossilized Martian Sand Ichthyosaur (Imaginashus runwildus). Very rare. biggrin.gif
Floyd
QUOTE (SFJCody @ Aug 11 2009, 03:41 AM) *
There's an interesting discussion of BI on the meteorite mailing list. Look for the thread that starts out titled 'Must-see Martian in 3-D'.

Very interesting discussion on how Block Island could have soft landed without a denser Martian atmosphere. The description by Sterling K. Webb was quite interesting and contradicts Matt Golombek and the JPL news release. Webb suggests that Mars' atmosphere is more dense than Earth's at high altitudes. Because of lower gravity on Mars, the atmosphere is taller than that of Earth.

Can anyone here support the arguments of either Webb or Golombek?
fredk
QUOTE (Floyd @ Aug 12 2009, 12:48 AM) *
Can anyone here support the arguments of either Webb or Golombek?

I can only make some very general comments. Webb doesn't present any actual calculations of trajectories. Golombek refers to such calculations in the new press release:
Consideration of existing model results indicates a meteorite this size requires a thicker atmosphere

Surely these model calculations would include the difference in height of the Martian atmosphere, and well as many other details.

When faced with differing views, I'll go with the guy who actually did a calculation!
helvick
Webb is right about the density at higher altitudes - I thought that the cut over was somewhere in the 50-60km range but my memory might be off and the atmosphere extends quite a bit furthur out than Earth's. I've no problem with most of his calculations regarding survivability either - it is certainly possible for this class of object to survive to "soft land" on earth and the process that Webb describes could lead to a higher quantity of objects of this class surviving to land one way or another. The one thing he doesn't seem to detail is the expected terminal velocity - that would still be in the range of km/sec for something of BI's shape and density. That doesn't really affect his argument though - even at those speeds a metallic block like this would probably survive intact.

I think he does miss the boat a bit in terms of the things he says about how long these may have been around - we're seeing a very ancient surface and even if the rate at which objects survive is incredibly rare there should still be quite a lot of them around and for my money that is what we've been seeing. 4 billion years may be a bit on the long side but I don't see any reason why BI couldn't have remained on the surface for a significant fraction of a billion years if not a bit more.
HughFromAlice
Thanks Stu, MII et al for the encouragement. Appreciate it. I will definitely try to do some more posts.

FYI - We use Corel Draw for our business (just happened to start with it years ago) and so the image was produced using Corel Photopaint!
centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 11 2009, 08:24 PM) *
When faced with differing views, I'll go with the guy who actually did a calculation!

Not to mention that the effect of Mars' atmosphere on things falling from space is more than academic for those intent on safely landing stuff on the surface. I'm sure the profile of the Martian atmosphere is as well known to them as to anyone. (Of course, the situation a billion years ago is another matter, more open to academic debate.)
fredk
This doesn't really belong in this thread, but there's a new hirise view of Victoria...

ADMIN: Thanks fredk - see this thread
Reckless
Oppy before the U-turn. Nice tracks.

Roy
HughFromAlice
Just about the best track pic I've seen.
fredk
After the sol 1973 bump, we've got this tantalizing quote from the latest Oppy update:
At this new location Opportunity is positioned to investigate some very unusual features on the meteorite's surface.

I know how much UMSF'ers like to speculate, so any guesses which features they're referring to?
Astro0
Made in China sticker! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.