Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beyond Lewis and Clark Gap
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
fredk
Our first good look through the gap:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol4482
Phil Stooke
Beat me to it, fredk! This is the start of a whole new adventure - and a new thread, methinks.

Phil

fredk
And according to Crumpler, we are headed eastwards, ie straight downslope, after threading the gap.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 2 2016, 11:08 AM) *
Beat me to it, fredk! This is the start of a whole new adventure - and a new thread, methinks.

Seems right, so I made a new thread. I'll rename it if this valley gets a name!
charborob
Sol 4483 Lpancam. Reminds me of Lindbergh mound.
Floyd
This is the best map I could find, but ends just where we want to see where we are going. Can anyone link a better wide view map, or one with an elevation grid?

fredk
This official route map has contours and extends a ways south and east of Marathon. (We should move this to the new thread.) [MOD: DONE.]
charborob
Sol 4484 Lpancam view of Plymouth II and Wharton Ridge:
Floyd
Thanks fredk, the official route map is great. However, I don't see any difference in the slope of the two valleys. So does anyone understand why we couldn't go down Marathon valley to the bottom and we can this new valley?
marsophile
My take on this is that we could go down Marathon Valley, but then we could not come back up in order to go down this other valley, which is what we want to do for science reasons.
vjkane
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 4 2016, 03:46 PM) *
This official route map has contours and extends a ways south and east of Marathon. (We should move this to the new thread.) [MOD: DONE.]

Would it be possible for someone to do a version of this map that shows the gulley that is the goal of this extended mission?
Phil Stooke
My impression - without a direct link to the mission team - is that the rover will not go all the way to the bottom until it reaches the gulley area. Where we are now the valleys slope down until they reach areas with too much loose debris on them, making a climb back up very uncertain. So they can go up and down as targets present themselves, to a certain point but not beyond.

Phil
Sean
I hope this doesn't qualify as spam...but here is a delicious 3D model of the area;

Marathon Valley @Sketchfab

atomoid
QUOTE (vjkane @ Sep 8 2016, 08:54 AM) *
Would it be possible for someone to do a version of this map that shows the gulley that is the goal of this extended mission?

The location of the gully doesn't appear to be covered by that map, but big THANKS to Sean who has made it easy and indeed delicious fun for us to explore certain areas in high resolution by sharing his Sketchfab projects.
Here's an excerpt from that showing (1) approx sol4488 and (2) that bright dome and (3) the presumptive gulley, further detailed in Post #314 of the Marathon Valley thread (IPBoard cross-thread linking doesn't seem to work)
I'd venture a guess Oppy will traverse at various elevations along the ridge distracted by ad-hoc targets as it makes its way south to (presumed) gully.
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Wharton Ridge... do we know where the name comes from? I'm thinking it may commemorate Robert A. Wharton of the Desert Research Institute in Reno, Nevada, who died on 19 September 2012. He conducted research on Antarctic ice-covered lakes with similarities to possible environments on early Mars.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Sol 4500 !!! - and another drive, bringing us close to the little hill whose name is still not released yet. Map update this evening.

Images are HERE , not yet on Midnight Planets.

Phil
charborob
Sol 4500 navcam view of Spirit Mound:
charborob
Sol 4502 Lnavcam. Moving closer to Spirit Mound:
charborob
Sols 4502-4504 Lpancam view of Spirit Mound:
JohnVV

i am working on a dem using ASP b,but the hirisd data files are huge 6 gig each
even a cropped area of the current location is 1.5 gig

this will take some time
atomoid
sol4505 windtails in lower right suggest consistent upslope winds here, wondering if that is generally true on both sides of the rim, as i was under the impression that the wind pattern over the crater is west>east on a high level which id assumed would also tend to effect that at ground level as well, but i guess not being a meteorologist i was surprised by this, so am just guessing its still on the mains a general west>east flow but the air is instead getting pulled up the rim under a vortex effect imparted by the intervening crater rim to that flow, or perhaps its just rising up due to ground heating and following the contours up the rim..?

on another note that spire just behind the boulder on sol4506 turns out to be part of the ridge, not a background feature (parellel view)
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Given the complexity of the topography here, it's not really possible to guess a local prevailing wind direction from a regional upper-level wind direction. In the floor of Endeavour below us, the large field of light-toned drifts suggest north-south winds, approximately.

Phil
JohnVV
the topography is fun . a small area cropped out of the Hirise stereo pair
-- just the current location and a EARLY run of ASP

atomoid
a couple rotated MI anaglyphs of... (Council Bluffs? Gasconade? Phil's map) from sol4512
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
It's Gasconade.

Phil
Sean
Here is an update on the Oppy arena...

Beyond Lewis & Clark Gap @ Sketchfab
fredk
A sketch of future plans from the latest PS update:
Once her work at Gasconade is done, Opportunity will rove on, driving southwest through the rim and then angling to motor up a Cape Tribulation slope to targets at the top of the hill.

The longer-term objective is to head south across the plains or along the apron on the western side Endeavour’s west rim and over to Cape Byron where there’s a gully believed to have been carved by water or a liquid debris flow.

"...we will exit the gully much farther into the crater than we are now at Spirit Mound,” said Arvidson. “There are a set of benches we'll drive across and one of them could be an outcrop of Matijevic Formation."
atomoid
Still trying to get a handle on where exactly we are going... perhaps the area rectangled (with adjacent processed inset) in the google earth extract below may be the assumed gulley that fredk pointed out early on, if it's enough on the Byron side, and it does seem to be the only feature that fits the description to my untrained eye, if that all pans out the arrows may identify the bench of the presumed Matijevic Formation.
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Yes, I think that is the gully.

Phil
Jaro_in_Montreal
Interesting.
How come Oppy gets to go near potential sources of moisture, but Curiosity must be rerouted to avoid them?
fredk
The features near MSL bear some resemblence to recurring slope lineae (RSL), dark streaks that appear and reappear and that might be related to current water.

If the gully near Oppy was carved by water, it was probably in the very distant past - I haven't heard anyone suggest water was still present. The Oppy gully isn't an RSL.
atomoid
It's almost as if the gulley near Oppy had to have been exhumed, it just looks too surficial to be that ancient, perhaps what we see is just a lingering remnant of its once lower reaches, though I have no idea if we know how deep these slopes have been eroded over the eons.
Phil Stooke
Check this out... MEPAG presentation from yesterday's meeting, with Opportunity's future route mapped out.

Phil

http://mepag.jpl.nasa.gov/meeting/2016-10/...MarsScience.pdf

James Sorenson
Opportunity's Navcam view from Spirit Mound. pancam.gif

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43581439@N08/...211963/sizes/k/
Habukaz
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 8 2016, 01:04 AM) *
Check this out... MEPAG presentation from yesterday's meeting, with Opportunity's future route mapped out.

Phil

http://mepag.jpl.nasa.gov/meeting/2016-10/...MarsScience.pdf

Excellent, just what the official release was missing.

I like that they are planning to visit a small well-preserved crater; makes me all nostalgic. wink.gif
marsbug
QUOTE (atomoid @ Oct 8 2016, 12:00 AM) *
It's almost as if the gulley near Oppy had to have been exhumed, it just looks too surficial to be that ancient, perhaps what we see is just a lingering remnant of its once lower reaches, though I have no idea if we know how deep these slopes have been eroded over the eons.

TBH my bet would be that it's more recent, and due to dust or debris flow with little or no water involved - perhaps a little lubrication to help things move if it dates from a high obliquity period, but my gut feeling is that the idea of liquid water being involved is more wh\t people are determined toi find than what is actually there.
Would be delighted to be wrong though!
atomoid
sol4522 rotated MI anaglyph and snippet in parellel:
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
James Sorenson
From the tracking site.
pancam_EDM_test_L6R2
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...A4P2671L6M1.JPG

Looks like the MER team is getting ready to attempt to image Schiaparelli's descent. smile.gif

Good luck on the Imaging attempt, and good luck to the Schiaparelli team! smile.gif
Explorer1
Since Oppy is on the inner west rim of the crater though, the best view would be if the trajectory overshot the centre of the landing ellipse and ended up far to the east; if the targeting is perfect than ironically the slope will block the view (see http://www.leonarddavid.com/europe-readies...ber-touchdown/) . And obviously the MER team has its own mission which doesn't involve doubling back to the other side of the valley for the sake of one 1 pixel. Don't expect anything like the cover of the Martian Chronicles..
PaulM
Am I right in thinking that the landing ellipse for Insight at Meridiani Planum is roughly the same as that for Schiaparelli? Oppy may therefore be able to take a photo of Insight landing in 2 Year's time.
Phil Stooke
No, not at all. Insight is heading for an area north of Gale crater, half a world away from Meridiani Planum, and too far north for Curiosity to see it.

Phil
fredk
Here's the difference of each 4528 pancam frame from their mean, then stretched and smoothed:
Click to view attachment
I see no sign of Schiaparelli, just a few cosmic ray hits. (This is daytime at Meridiani so the exposures must be very short and so I wouldn't expect the lander/chute to be streaked.)
James Sorenson
The 1x3 SW Ridge mosaic from 4535. smile.gif

James Sorenson
I have been assembling the Spirit Mound mosaic that it has been taking. Here is a preview GIF of it. pancam.gif
Phil Stooke
http://nmnaturalhistory.org/space-science/...ld-reports-mars

New field report from Mars!

Phil
James Sorenson
The scene to the South on Sol-4534.

False color:
James Sorenson
The view to the Northwest from Spirit Mound, Sol-4542.

False Color:
charborob
James, where did you find these images? There is nothing on Midnight Planets for sol 4542, and the MER raw image page doesn't have them either.
fredk
They're available at the merpublic site:

http://merpublic.s3.amazonaws.com/oss/merb...es_sol4542.json

There are other images missing from the jpl and exploratorium sites - they missed 4536 and 4537 eg but those images are at the merpublic site.

This site was discussed in this post.
Floyd
Opportunity is doing great explorations and there are lots of images on the Exploratorium site. Thanks James for recent image mosaics. Opportunity should get at lest some of the love mostly going to Curiosity. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.