Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beyond Lewis and Clark Gap
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
charborob
Sol 4607 Lnavcam post-drive view:

And a Lpancam view:
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4607-4608.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Pancam L 2 view on Sol 4601-4606.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
BuckGalaxy
QUOTE (algorithm @ Jan 3 2017, 11:13 AM) *
Trouble getting up the hill, or just a spot of light excavation work?

Click to view attachment

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/New_Year_..._rover_999.html

Just before the holidays, the rover encountered some difficult, steep terrain. As the rover tried to advance up 20-degree slopes, the wheels began to dig up the soil and progress slowed to a near stop.

Sensing this, the rover stopped her drive and waited.

So, on Sol 4590 (Dec. 22, 2016), the team had Opportunity back down a short, 2-foot (70-cm) distance to put the rover on a more solid footing.

Before we could continue with rover activities through the holidays, Mars Odyssey went into "safe mode," an event that prevented relay data return from Opportunity. The rover was patient for several sols and in good health.

With Odyssey back, on Sol 4601 (January 2, 2017) Opportunity moved another 6.6 feet (2 meters) to get a good look of the terrain that was disturbed during the up-hill driving challenge.

The disturbed soil reveals brightly colored, unconsolidated material that is of great interest to the science team. So, the plan ahead is to use the rover's robotic arm instruments to investigate this bright soil.
Explorer1
Looks like another serendipitious discovery, just like Spirit at Silica Valley.
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4609-4610.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
We had some images of what is probably Phobos on the evening of sol 4612. Here I've tried to isolate the stars, by registering and averaging the two differences of two similarly exposed frames (with stretches and Gaussian smoothing):
Click to view attachment
The stars are the short streaks aligned roughly from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock. (You can see some residual scarring from imperfect subtraction of Phobos.)

Edit: I realized I could get a cleaner subtraction of Phobos by smoothing before subtraction; result replaced.
Phil Stooke
It's Deimos (from tweets by Mike Seibert, and the file descriptions on Midnight Planets).

Phil
fredk
Thanks, Phil. I'm out of practice with the moons - it should've been obvious. Phobos has marked "retrograde" motion, while Deimos is nearly synchronous, and this bright object is in nearly the same position in each frame (hence the good subtraction).
serpens
Regardless of moon identity, it is an impressive effort Fred.
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4611-4612.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

jvandriel
and the navcam T-shirt view on Sol 4614-4616.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

Phil Stooke
Thanks, Jan. It's not easy to get a good result from reprojecting panoramas taken on a steep slope, at least the way I do it, but this is Jan's panorama from sols 4611-4612 in circular form, so you can see the approximate layout of the terrain here.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 Panoramic view on Sol 4618-4619.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Explorer1
Almost at the peak!
charborob
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jan 22 2017, 12:26 PM) *
Almost at the peak!

Well, still some 200 m to go, but we're getting there.
Ant103
Bunch of panoramic today smile.gif

Sol 4612

Sol 4619

Sol 4623
Floyd
Thank you Damia, it is great to see where we are headed out-and also looking back down the valley.
Ant103
Yeah smile.gif I found the view quite impressive there.

Sol 4624 :

Sol 4625 :

charborob
Sol 4625 Lpancam view:
James Sorenson
It's been awhile since I've posted anything. Here is the Mount Jefferson pancam mosaic. smile.gif

False Color:
Ant103
Sol 4628 Navcam pan :

Sean
Context view using HiRISE elevation & RGB data

I used Photoshop to push the palette towards James' comp.

And here is a flyby of Oppy on Sol 4626 covering the western rim of Endeavour...

Click thru to see the video

And finally some hires shots featuring Oppy in situ on Sol 4626...

serpens
Those context shots are great Sean. Thank you.
atomoid
very nice, thanks sean! here are anaglyph and small cross-eye assembled by ripping off a couple of those perspectives (reduce, reuse, recycle!).
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Sean
Tighter version of Oppy Sol 4626 Flyby.

Click thru to see the video...

Added atmosphere.

James Sorenson
Great work Sean! smile.gif

I just had to work on this lovely set of Navcam images as we exit out of this area. smile.gif
Ant103
Sol 4635 Navcam pan :

James Sorenson
The Sol-4638 Pancam's of the exit point. smile.gif

Falsecolor

atomoid
crosseye&anaglyph from rotated MI pair sol4638
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 4637 Navcam pan :

James Sorenson
A little Navcam Selfie on Sol-4640, and as Phil mentioned, we should be on the rim. smile.gif

Sean
According to my 3D model on 4640 position Oppy is still to reach the crest of the hill as I can't see beyond the rise on the left. Should see horizon to the right though.

Will be interesting to see how that tallies with the next batch of Navcams.
fredk
If by "right" you meant "north", it looks like you're right:
http://merpublic.s3.amazonaws.com/oss/merb...00P1985R0M_.JPG
Ant103
And panoramic of the site, Sol 4640 and 4641. We can assume that we have reached the crest. Even if there still a few meters to accomplish smile.gif

James Sorenson
The Sol-4640-4641 Navcam mosaic.

fredk
I miss these views from the rim. This one's really spectacular:
http://merpublic.s3.amazonaws.com/oss/merb...00P1976R0M_.JPG
Ant103
Fiewww Fredk smile.gif Gorgeous view there ! I could update the panoramic (see previous post).
James Sorenson
I'm updating my version as well. Stunning view!
James Sorenson
pancam.gif

EDIT:
My new Desktop background. smile.gif

Full Resolution
1920x1080
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43581439@N08/...907305/sizes/o/
Phil Stooke
That is a beautiful sight!

Phil
James Sorenson
Here is a screenshot preview GIF that I made lastnight of the "Rocheport" pan that Oppy started taking.

jamescanvin
My go at Rocheport:

Click to view attachment

Boy do those rocks look scoured clean by the wind over the rim. Here's to the god of cleaning events that she'll give Oppy a boost while we're here. smile.gif

James
Phil Stooke
A Navcam view across Endeavour on sol 4653:

http://www.midnightplanets.com/data/MERBRa...00P1983R0M1.JPG

Below the horizon (looking north here) there seems to be a large dust-raising wind gust event in progress. Typically, views of this area are much clearer, for instance on sol 4637.

Phil
fredk
I think you're right, Phil. At first I thought it was just the increase in tau (we've shot up from around 0.8 where we've been for a while to 1.1 on 4653) but that does look like a gust - huge at that distance.
vikingmars
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 25 2017, 03:46 PM) *
A Navcam view across Endeavour on sol 4653:

http://www.midnightplanets.com/data/MERBRa...00P1983R0M1.JPG

Below the horizon (looking north here) there seems to be a large dust-raising wind gust event in progress. Typically, views of this area are much clearer, for instance on sol 4637.

Phil

Yes Phil, I noticed that too : it's very impressive ! Here is a quick-processed version. Enjoy ! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4653.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Floyd
So they were in the same position for a few weeks to get a large color panorama. I assume some of you wizards are working on it? Even a preview would be great.
fredk
Another jump in tau, to 1.56, on 4654. The change from yesterday is obvious by comparing these pancam views:
http://merpublic.s3.amazonaws.com/oss/merb...00P2359L5M_.JPG
http://merpublic.s3.amazonaws.com/oss/merb...00P2361L5M_.JPG
They were taken at very similar local times, two sols apart.

Likely we're seeing localized storm activity, not unusual for this time of year.
jvandriel
The Navcam L Panoramic view on Sol 4640-4641-4653.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.