Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beyond Lewis and Clark Gap
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
jvandriel
and the Pancam L2 view on Sol 4678.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
We've got our first look at Perseverance with the 4679 navcams - here I've matched features:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
The pancams should be a lot more revealing...
Phil Stooke
Beat me to it, Fred! Here's my attempt. Same result. of course.

Phil

Click to view attachment
fredk
And the pancam closeup, with the route into the gully indicated with arrows:
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Nice Pancam L2 view on Sol 4679.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

atomoid
nice! finally in view sol4679! there's not enough parallax in the far view for much of an anaglyph, but gives a bit o perspective to the hill were about to descend.
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4679-4680.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

fredk
Impressive view looking down towards Perseverance, in anaglyph:
Click to view attachment
and cross-eyed:
Click to view attachment
I think a direct path is unlikely, and we're more likely to head around to the west to avoid these hummocks, like the proposed path.
Sean
Here is a context shot with Oppy at Sol 4679...

...the white speck centre, top right

And the view from Oppy...

*not sure if my previous edit of this post was moderated or I erred in posting, but I include the second image again in case of the latter.
Floyd
Opportunity's solar panels look like wings of a squirrel suit, but do you think they will be any good for base jumping? The 3-D view sort of takes your breath away. Not sure the panels will provide enough lift unless we get a real gust.
climber
I understand now why the original route goes (also) near the fresh crater, steepless route.
James Sorenson
QUOTE (Floyd @ Mar 27 2017, 09:22 AM) *
Opportunity's solar panels look like wings of a squirrel suit, but do you think they will be any good for base jumping?

Opportunity and Spirit's solar panel wing shape has always reminded me of the wings of a B-2 Stealth bomber. I wouldn't try base jumping to try it out though....I heard somewhere awhile back that because of it's stereo vision based autonomy, You can send a command to tell it to drive off a cliff and Oppy will detect the cliff and stop or ignore the command all together. It will try and find away around it and if it can't, will stop and wait for further instructions. If autonav was disabled though, could be possible I suppose? Paolo or Doug?

Of coarse I'm not suggesting anything...
djellison
Yup - you can set tilt limits (that would get triggered early off a cliff) - every drive gets those. If AutoNav is on, it would see something like that as a hazard and stop - depending on what parameters you gave it.

I think this was simply a blind drive to the edge of the previous NavCam mesh though. That's what usually gets you the most bang per buck (meters per Whr)

D
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4682-4683.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Mar 27 2017, 04:57 PM) *
Opportunity and Spirit's solar panel wing shape has always reminded me of the wings of a B-2 Stealth bomber. I wouldn't try base jumping to try it out though....I heard somewhere awhile back that because of it's stereo vision based autonomy, You can send a command to tell it to drive off a cliff and Oppy will detect the cliff and stop or ignore the command all together. It will try and find away around it and if it can't, will stop and wait for further instructions. If autonav was disabled though, could be possible I suppose? Paolo or Doug?

Of coarse I'm not suggesting anything...

I don't think you would be able to pick up Oppy from the wings, they are pretty flimsy. You can pick it up from the portion of the deck that is on top of the WEB. In fact the SSTB1, the testbed at JPL has loops there for a crane to pick it up in sase we need to lift it.

The vehicle has an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) a 3-axis accelerometer and gyro that report the vehicle attitude 8 times a second. We ALWAYS set max tilt limits, sometimes we set pitch or roll limits, but a bit more often Northerly Tilt limits (tilt towards the North or South). Both MER and MSL have the same IMU, a Litton LN200. MER's are slightly better than MSLs but either vehicle need to periodically reset the IMU to cancel out gyro drift. MER calls it GFA/QFA (Get Fine Attitude, Quick Fine Attitude) MSL calls it Sun Find but the procedure is quite similar: using the Sun position at a given time and the accels output to measure the nadir vector the procedure resets the North/East/Down coordinate system.

We also set Suspension limits. The vehicle monitors the position of the rocker/bogie to see if the terrain does not match what we expect.

Paolo
PS: i always saw MER shape more like a fruit fly.
jvandriel
The Pancam L2 view on Sol 4686.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Thw Navcam L0 panoramic view on Sol 4686-4687.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4688-4689.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's panorama reprojected to show the view down the slope.

Phil

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
Sol 4690 in color...
A nice late afternoon view with long shadows. Enjoy smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Sean
Beautiful! Great job. biggrin.gif
James Sorenson
Wonderful Oliver! smile.gif

Here is my version's

False color:
moustifouette
There is a whiter elevation near the crater Ridge. Is it interesting? Is it an impact remnant or is it related to a geological difference?
James Sorenson
It is likely just a mound of bright oxide dust, maybe with some of the flat sulfate rock that we see all over as well. At this point, it doesn't look all that interesting. Some pancam super-res imaging of it occurred on Sol-4691 for a better look at it.
James Sorenson
Will not compare to PDS images, but here the pancam stack of the mound. Minor detail increase, but more detail should be brought out in the Non-JPEG images.
Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Apr 5 2017, 11:16 PM) *
Wonderful Oliver! smile.gif Here is my version's

How nice, James ! Thank you also for your nice views ! smile.gif
jvandriel
The Pancam L2 view on Sol 4688-4690.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 Panoramic view on Sol 4691-4692.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4693-4694.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
anaglyph of sol4697 MI stitch and a couple of fun or frustrating wide baseline crosseys of the whitecap taken from sols 4679/4678/4690
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
vikingmars
Sol 4688 (left) to Sol 4695 (right) of Opportunity's mission on Mars...
We have just roved down the cape towards Perseverance Valley where the rover will explore a gully.
See the change of the perspective ! Enjoy smile.gif
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4695-4696.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
The Sol-4697 1x4 pancam mosaic.

False color
PaulH51
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Apr 14 2017, 05:49 AM) *
The Sol-4697 1x4 pancam mosaic....

Super (as always)
vikingmars
Thanks a lot James for this nice work !
Here is the same interesting outcrop taken by Opportunity on her Sol 4699 : rocks put into perspective ! (with the non 3-D pic also). Enjoy smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
The Sol-4703 Pancam mosaic of the ground in front of us. The bedrock appears to have a slight greenish tint to it that I hadn't noticed at other locations. Looks interesting!

False color

A front Hazcam from 4702 for pancam context
Phil Stooke
Very nice, James!

the RAT has been used here for the first time in a long time. I think I'm right in saying that the RAT brush was last used on sol 4412 and the RAT grinder on sol 4370. There's not much life left in the grinding head, so it's used very sparingly. This must have seemed like a very significant target.

Phil
atomoid
It seems Oppy found a perfect easter egg a couple sols ago (hint: its not the big one) nonetheless she decided to leave it undisturbed and RAT elewhere, anag/para/xeye. hmmm whats this?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4705.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the one taken on Sol 4706.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
Love these views of the tracks - hope to see a colour version...
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...5M1.JPG?sol4707
Explorer1
Reminds me of Spirit's journey down Husband Hill. Downhill is always easier, even on Mars!
vikingmars
QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 22 2017, 06:15 AM) *
Love these views of the tracks - hope to see a colour version...

Dear Fredk, here you are !
Enjoy smile.gif
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 4706-4707.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Apr 21 2017, 09:23 PM) *
...Downhill is always easier, even on Mars!

Not really. When going straight uphill the worst that is going to happen is that you can't, you just roll back and try a different route. When going downhill it is possible you can't control the vehicle's path. If the path the vehicle is taking is leading to an obstacle, you are toast (# Wopmay?).

That is going to be the biggest challenge when driving down Perseverance Valley. Fortunately I don't have much hair to lose anymore.

Paolo
James Sorenson
My versions of the 4707 pancam mosaic. smile.gif

False color

L7 filter enhancement crop of the tracks
jvandriel
The Pancam L2 view on Sol 4706.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Floyd
Will new crater get a look, or straight to Perseverance Valley?
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4709.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jccwrt
QUOTE (Floyd @ Apr 23 2017, 04:19 PM) *
Will new crater get a look, or straight to Perseverance Valley?

Looks as if they're beelining it to Perseverance Valley. I'm guessing that the science value of looking at a channel up close for the first time outweighs whatever the new crater excavated. Probably a good idea to get in a good chunk of the observation campaign in before winter, just in case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.