Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York - Northern Havens
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
fredk
Maybe the 2935 superres is meant to look for gypsum veins on the shore of CY. Remember they want to look for wide ones - maybe the widest can be spotted at this distance?
Phil Stooke
Good suggestion!

Phil

marsophile
Can someone restart the image pipe to the Exploratorium?
atomoid
yes verrry nice "Mt. Goldsworthy" (sol 2935) you can learn a lot from a postage stamp, and the Wreck of the Hesperus too..
jamescanvin
QUOTE (marsophile @ May 1 2012, 04:58 AM) *
Can someone restart the image pipe to the Exploratorium?

Stu reports over on his blog that the JPL server that feeds Exploratorium is dead and will not be replaced. There may be a workaround, but that source of images may be gone for good.
vikingmars
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 2 2012, 09:08 AM) *
...the JPL server that feeds Exploratorium is dead and will not be replaced. There may be a workaround

These are sad news, because Exploratorium is an important image feed for all of us who are working on MER imagery (which played an important part also for TPS/UMSF's historic success).
=> Emily, Doug, please, can JPL (the MER team) give an help ? wheel.gif
Thanks a lot in advance for all you can do (if possible) for your TPS/UMSF members
JayB
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 2 2012, 01:08 AM) *
Stu reports over on his blog that the JPL server that feeds Exploratorium is dead and will not be replaced. There may be a workaround, but that source of images may be gone for good.

Hmmm...maybe a Kickstarter project to buy JPL a new server? I think that would be allowable under their guidelines. Wonder if JPL would go for it? I'd put in 20$

fredk
Exploratorium's been updated! Anyone have any info on what's happening with the server?
RoverDriver
Don't know, but today we are taking DRIVE DIRECTION Pancams.

Paolo
Stu
Oh, those two words have never sounded sweeter! smile.gif
fredk
Agreed! wheel.gif wheel.gif

Working the IDD while the winter clouds drift by:
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
That's music to my ears! (BTW, welcome back Paolo)
James Sorenson
Just added more images into the Pancam foreground color mosaic. There are two images that were not part of the foreground mosaic sequences such as the horizon shot, and one other image that was taken closer to the rover, but they overlapped quite nicely so I threw those in aswell. pancam.gif

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
And the view from above!

Click to view attachment
fredk
Exploratorium update over at Stu's blog.
fredk
From the latest update:
Opportunity will soon be backing down off her winter perch and resume driving on the near-level terrain around the north end of Cape York.

North end - I like the sound of that!
CosmicRocker
I think I was a little too hasty when I read the update earlier this evening. I totally missed the second half of that sentence. Thanks for highlighting it, fredk. smile.gif

Maybe we'll get a glimpse of the thing after all. unsure.gif
marsophile
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs...te-2012-04.html

Also, the TPS update.
dilo
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ May 3 2012, 11:44 AM) *
And the view from above!

Great, James. I made a version with lower distorsion (locally flat terrain) and more uniform luminosity/contrast...
TheAnt
Great to see updates to Exploratorium coming up again.

And you Paolo look into drive direction pancams. While usually well informed Science daily just said Opportunity were hibernating and wont drive for quite a while still. Serious, some tidbits on Stony brook Mars rover group so I add it for reference.
RoverDriver
We sequenced the last two MI stacks today and took more drive direction Pan today. It seems possible we will be driving off on Monday.
Small steps at first since we are going to try to continue the Radio Science experiment and need to track vehicle movement using VisOdom.

Paolo
James Sorenson
And the pancam drive direction I presume..?
Click to view attachment

jamescanvin
That's right. To orientate people, the northen end of Cape York is towards the right edge.
Stu
Let's add some distances to the scene... as James said, N is at top...

Click to view attachment

Phil Stooke
the early movements might be more like centimeters, to reposition the IDD workspace... but it's nice to be anticipating a drive soon.

Phil

SFJCody
2947, according to the database. wheel.gif
jamescanvin
And 3.5m according to Paolo on Twitter. smile.gif
RoverDriver
Yup. 3.5m forward and a turn for comm. We should be getting new pictures in 20 hours or so.

Paolo
Tesheiner
Yay! It's time to get my tools out of storage.
RoverDriver
OK, any chance you can go and fix a couple of actuators for me? laugh.gif Not having the IDD Az was a pain this past winter!

Paolo
Stu
Tweaked new MI image...

Click to view attachment
walfy
A close-up from sol 2944:

Click to view attachment

How wonderful to be rolling again soon!
RoverDriver
So long Greely Haven! ;-)

Paolo
Stu
Time for our rover to rove again...

Click to view attachment

wheel.gif

PS: ...and a HUGE Thank You to Paolo for answering some questions for my "Road to Endeavour" blog...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2012/...l-greeley-haven
fredk
So this really is goodbye to Greeley - the PS update talked about bumping and rotating to get a new IDD work plane.

I like the new plan! wheel.gif wheel.gif

And thanks, Stu, for the great interview - my favourite quote:
I have my eyes on Cape Tribulation
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
mhoward
Yay! Couple quick ones (as always, approximate):
walfy
Another micro from sol 2944:

Click to view attachment
fredk
Next stop: dust patch to our north:
"Our next goal is a few meters farther north on Cape York, at a bright-looking patch of what may be dust," said... Golombek... "We haven't been able to see much dust in Meridiani. This could be a chance to learn more about it."

Tesheiner
That's it, I presume.
Click to view attachment
Stu
"We haven't been able to see much dust in Meridiani."

Is he having a laugh??????

Click to view attachment

laugh.gif
Phil Stooke
It's all on the rover, none on the ground.

Phil
Stu
Last look at "Amboy"...?

Click to view attachment
mhoward
QUOTE (Stu @ May 10 2012, 10:49 AM) *
Last look at "Amboy"...?

It seems likely.(..?) Here's an anaglyph.
Stu
First the roll-off, then the "bump and turn"... now Oppy is really roving again... downhill, towards those dust dunes...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
6 more meters today! wheel.gif Not sure what will happen today. Will post later.

Paolo
Stu
Rather nice wheel tracks close-up today...

Click to view attachment
nprev
We're wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif again, so new thread. Please post comments here. Thread closed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.