Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York - Northern Havens
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Oersted
Looks like a vein in the rock to me.

Early in the missions we had a few strands of airbag material that blew into the microscope images...
Bill Harris
Agreed. This simply looks like a healed fracture in the rock. Too early to call it anything else-- we'll have more images in a few days.

The adjacent site "Mpangeni" has a very intriguing texture and shows both rounded and angular clasts in the matrix. Even down to the microscopic scale, this initial set of MI's at "T2_Haven" show this difference in particle angularity and a distressing lack of sorting.

This will prove to be an exciting area.

--Bill
nprev
Agreed...a vein or a fracture.
Stu
"Mpangeni"...

Click to view attachment
nprev
...gesundheit! tongue.gif

Lovely work, Stu. THAT is an interesting-looking little beast...a wind-eroded breccia?
Matt Lenda
I'm travel-weary and cranky. Someone fill me in on what's down from the weekend plan so I don't have to read my 76 (and counting) unread emails from today alone! (Read: "Do my work for me.")

wink.gif

-m
Bill Harris
Main items down are an initial set of MI's from the current IDD target "T2_Haven" and some interesting shots of an adjacent site "Mpangeni" and a couple more nearby sites "photometry east and west" and "brightsoil east and west". and a couple of Superres sequences on Tribulation and Dunes.

All in all, a busy weekend.

--Bill
brellis
Superres on Tribulation -- for the far-sighted among us! wheel.gif
walfy
Mpangeni (is the name right?!) renders very nicely in 3D, from a fresh batch of images, Sol 2788.

Click to view attachment
walfy
The martian rocks remind me of geological formations near Bariloche, Argentina:

Click to view attachment
Stu
My 3D take on "Mpangeni"...

Click to view attachment
marsophile
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 28 2011, 07:35 AM) *
My 3D take on "Mpangeni"...

The cleft area seems to have a fibrous inclusion.
ElkGroveDan
Whoa! Look at that crumbling v-notch. If it was a little larger and a thing like that could become a serious wheel trap.
Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 28 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Whoa! Look at that crumbling v-notch. If it was a little larger and a thing like that could become a serious wheel trap.

Yep... full resolution version here: http://twitpic.com/7l6252/full
Phil Stooke
A mini-Dagger! Very nice.

Phil

PDP8E
Here is a quick comparison of the sundial from Sol 55 to Sol 2718 (7+ yrs)
Both are from raw images and were identically processed.
The differences are sun angle (brightness), dust on the target, and probably the camera.
(L4,5,6 filters only)

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

remcook
How did that VIMS composite of Titan (e.g. http://www.uidaho.edu/sci/physics/news/topfeatures/titan ) get there?! smile.gif
Bill Harris
Here is an x-eyed stereo view of site Mpangeni, an L346 and R721 image.

Note the cleft in the lower left of the site apparently with active precipitation within the fracture.

--Bill
fredk
Another drive and another incredible view on 2790:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2790
Matt Lenda
Heck yeah!

We're perched about 5 meters away from a very nice batch of northerly tilts. I spy a Winter Haven!

Unfortunately we're squeezed by late morning/early afternoon comm passes -- tighter than usual this week. Very little drive time, even though the energy is plenty high for it. Might take a few sols.

-m
Bill Harris
And still a dusty LowGain antenna. Cf: this post: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...&pid=180403

They weren't kidding about travelling. Even with the smattering of Navcam views the comm passes allow these are tantalizing glimpses of CY morphology. Even the FHazcam images are great boot-scuffs of the surface.

Or, as The Great One said, "How sweet it is..."

--Bill
Tesheiner
Here's the 3x1 navcam mosaic. Today's imaging plan includes the remaining 7 pictures so a whole 360º panorama should be available soon.
Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
And a wonderful Pancam sequence of a new site, "Transvaal". Such great tonal range with fine gradation between colors, and such a texture of the surface.

--Bill
ElkGroveDan
Wow. We can now see the Cyclops crater from the navcam.
Zeke4ther
So, does that mean the tau has become better?
Oersted
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 30 2011, 03:45 AM) *
Another drive and another incredible view on 2790:

I'd have to wait for a three-d view to be sure, but it certainly looks like a good perch for rolling the wheels up on it and get a great tilt.
Stu
"Transvaal"

Click to view attachment
climber
Wondering why they choose names referring to South Africa while looking for Northern tilt rolleyes.gif
fredk
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 30 2011, 01:48 PM) *
We can now see the Cyclops crater from the navcam.
It's been visible in navcam for quite a while - here's a shot from 2668:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...N5P1944R0M1.JPG
But it is easier to see now, since tau is gradually dropping. You can follow the tau here.
fredk
I love the way that the summit of CY blends in with the other (much bigger) peaks around the rim of Endeavour in this shot:
climber
Yep! Kinda Everest-like pan is coming up.
Stu
Imagine striding up that slope, standing on the ridge and, shielding your eyes from the Sun with your gloved hand, looking over the other side, down onto the floor of Endeavour and across to the other side...

Click to view attachment

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

(Wanted to make my 5,000th post something special smile.gif )
marsophile
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 27 2011, 01:57 AM) *
Rather nice new MI images...

Anyone know the location of this with respect to the pancam images?
climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 30 2011, 09:16 PM) *
Imagine striding up that slope, standing on the ridge and, shielding your eyes from the Sun with your gloved hand, looking over the other side, down onto the floor of Endeavour and across to the other side...
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Yes, I can imagine that...since you posted this 3D view. THANKS!
walfy
My apologies for this unorthodox way of presenting this Sol 2790 shot, but it was the only way I could do it so parts of the image wouldn't be so headache inducing in 3D, had to chop it up! Anyway, more superb, freaky rocks, loaded with features:

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
Site "Transvaal", Sol-2790 , R721-L346 x-eyed stereo pair.

Compare with "Mpangeni" inpost #68 on 11/29.

--Bill
fredk
Here's my attempt at de-headaching that view:
Click to view attachment
walfy
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 30 2011, 05:40 PM) *
Here's my attempt at de-headaching that view...

Does the trick for me! Very good.
PDP8E
Here is an L456 of Transvaal. No sharping, just the barest of color cranking.
Notice the green in the top left corner, which always exhibits a vignette (... probably causing it)
Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
Here's Bill's X-eyed, false colored pair of Transvaal (sol 2790) in anaglyph form.
Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
Thankee, Tom! Stereo for the masses. I don't bother with anaglyphs because I'm one of that type that can do x-eyed stero with my bare eyes. It's good to see other presentation types open up.

Not much more data for Sol-2790, but for tosol (hitting in about an hour) we'll have a set of L257 rear track "boot scuffs" (p2434), some L257Rall of "North Haven" (p2435), Finally: a pancam_foreground_quarter_L234567Rall (p2587) and a Navcam sequence to the NE (Az330). Nothing spectacular, but some nice puzzlepieces.

--Bill
marsophile
QUOTE (marsophile @ Nov 30 2011, 12:23 PM) *
Anyone know the location of this with respect to the pancam images?

According to the Nov 30 TPS update, it was somewhere on Transvaal.
fredk
Speaking of that update:
Squyres and Arvidson... are scheduled to announce the details of the Homestake discovery at the AGU fall meeting in San Francisco next Wednesday, December 7. An update will be posted once the embargo is lifted.
Stu
Continuing our series of "Not suggesting for a moment that it's accurate, but it is pretty" Fanciful Images that Oppy Never Took, I give you, "Endeavour Sunrise..."

Click to view attachment
fredk
There are lots of juicy tidbits in the latest Planetary update. Here are the highlights:
"The other cool thing we did... was what I call a triple crunch over Homestake," said Arvidson. "...We crunched it, removed the dust cover to the extent it existed, and exposed some bright sparkly bits."
OOhhh, sparkly bits. I wonder if that's a clue. Either way, the sparkles don't seem to have survived the jpegging/stretching of the released images.

When the data... on Transvaal arrived on Earth, the scientists basically shrugged. "It looks like Chester Lake, nothing special," as Arvidson summed it up.

Planning for winter:
"There's a southern candidate for a winter haven and a northern candidate... within about 20 meters of one another, and they both have slopes of 10 to 20 degrees north," said Arvidson... "...we will have to assess the science at both [sites] before deciding where the vehicle will spend the winter," added Squyres.
Callas: "...we need to be above a 5-degree slope by January. That means we don't have to hunker down now, and that we could spend December doing science, just as long as we're always never more than a short step away from getting into that winter haven."
Arvidson: "Then, sometime in January, we'll put the vehicle in either the northern site or the southern site and begin the winter science campaign there"

And some very interesting discussion about the possibility of cleaning events:
"It turns out in all the wind modeling and the observations that people see of streaks, if the vehicle is exposed to winds coming from the southeast, [from which] the winds blow during the Martian winters, there's a possibility for a dust clearing," said Arvidson.
At the place currently known as Turkey Haven, "we can actually see to the southeast into the crater Endeavour, so that would be a good place in terms of maximizing the chance that we'll get some dust removal," Arvidson pointed out. "We need to evaluate possible locations like that at the northern site."
"If we got 10-degree slope, we would have power levels comparable to the last Martian winter for Opportunity," Callas informed. "It would really be desirous to have as much tilt as possible this winter, but also as much mobility as possible. In all previous Martian years, we've always had a cleaning event sometime before the winter solstice and we haven't had one yet, and we can't plan on it. This could be the year we don't get a cleaning event, in which case we'd want to get as much tilt as possible," he rationalized.
marsophile
If the wind is coming from the southeast, and the rover deck is tilted towards the north (actually more like northwest), wouldn't any wind just clean the underside of the deck, not the solar panels? (Unless we got a down-draft.)

While there is still sufficient power, it might be worth briefly going over the ridge and facing the southeast.
Ant103
Sol 2790 navcam pan smile.gif

Matt Lenda
QUOTE (marsophile @ Dec 1 2011, 12:49 PM) *
If the wind is coming from the southeast, and the rover deck is tilted towards the north (actually more like northwest), wouldn't any wind just clean the underside of the deck, not the solar panels? (Unless we got a down-draft.)

While there is still sufficient power, it might be worth briefly going over the ridge and facing the southeast.

We'd have to be tilted away at a pretty big angle to not get anything on the topside. Basic aerodynamics -- air's still flowing up there!

I think we discussed turning towards the crater at one meeting a while back. Given that we have no idea (...at all) when a cleaning gust could come, the errors bars are simply too big to risk it. Doing that even for a short time would likely be a significant waste. We'd be gambling the rover for something we think might happen once a year... That's a hard sell point!

Better go where we know we can survive: North-facing places! biggrin.gif

-m
Bill Harris
My take, FWIW, is that this region is in the calm-wind part of the year and the lack of cleaning Zephyrs is seasonal. After the Solstice and Aphelion hemispheric heating will pick up and so will seasonal winds. Make the best of it for now.

Oh yes, and make more Foreground Quarters. It's all happening at our feet... smile.gif

--Bill
ngunn
Isn't this ridge top a place where dust accumulates rather than getting blown away? I'm thinking of the 'brightsoil', both east and west. Is it the same material that produces the icing sugar effect on top of the dunes in Victoria and Santa Maria? If so, it seems to be much more abundant here. On the other hand there is none of the stuff on the 'inboard' slopes so I have to agree with the idea of parking a little bit more 'inboard' than an analysis based purely on insolation would dictate, especially if the number of northerly degrees available provides some leeway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.