Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York - Northern Havens
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
tim53
QUOTE (PDP8E @ Dec 13 2011, 07:19 AM) *
Steve, its all goes together with the right projection mapping software and enough navcam images
But I am pretty sure that Tim P. could have pulled it off just with scissors and elmer's glue rolleyes.gif

I use a special version of our planning software that has my 35 gigapixel georeferenced HiRISE/CTX base map as a background, and projects the Navcam panoramas onto a terrain mesh derived from the stereo. So, rocks and stuff are not only in the right direction, they're at the right distance, too. The terrain mesh falls apart about 20 meters out, on flat terrain, though.

-Tim.
Bill Harris
Here is a preliminary Rx21 (an R721 with guesstimated Red channel info) of the IDD site Boesmanskop on Sol-2801, indicated as "post-Brush". I've not been able to match the MI's up with the Pancams, but I think they are near the center of the image or slightly above center. And I can't hardly see the Brushed area, though I've not closely compared the pre- and post-brush grayscales. Hopefully we'll get a few more Pancams over the next few days, so enjoy.

In the meantime, let me toss out my initial impression of the MIs of this site: "drusy vugs".

--Bill
SteveM
QUOTE (tim53 @ Dec 13 2011, 11:59 AM) *
I use a special version of our planning software that ... projects the Navcam panoramas onto a terrain mesh derived from the stereo. So, rocks and stuff are not only in the right direction, they're at the right distance, too. The terrain mesh falls apart about 20 meters out, on flat terrain, though.

-Tim.
The result is very nice. Any advantage in blending the stereo terrain mesh into a HiRise DTM at 20 meters to extend this process?

SteveM
tim53
QUOTE (SteveM @ Dec 14 2011, 08:43 AM) *
The result is very nice. Any advantage in blending the stereo terrain mesh into a HiRise DTM at 20 meters to extend this process?

SteveM

I can think of a lot of advantages! I sometimes use another program written by Jeff Hall in MIPL to map project the pancam data, which extends these maps out another 20 meters or so, where the pancam data is available. But the project doesn't have the resources to include the HiRISE DTM in the planning software. Curiosity will, however. I wish I were a programmer, but I'm not. I have to enlist the services of those who are.

-Tim.
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (tim53 @ Dec 15 2011, 08:01 AM) *
I can think of a lot of advantages! I sometimes use another program written by Jeff Hall in MIPL to map project the pancam data, which extends these maps out another 20 meters or so, where the pancam data is available. But the project doesn't have the resources to include the HiRISE DTM in the planning software. Curiosity will, however. I wish I were a programmer, but I'm not. I have to enlist the services of those who are.

-Tim.

Wishes:

1) More project resources for more of the pretty
2) Navcam complete 360s at 1 bazillion bits per pixel

I do believe that would satisfy our Tim!

-m
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (tim53 @ Dec 15 2011, 10:01 AM) *
... I wish I were a programmer, but I'm not. I have to enlist the services of those who are. ...
No kidding... If I could do it all over again I would do a second degree, or major, or at least a minor in computer programming. Being a scientist or engineer with the ability to write computer code would be an incredible advantage in today's world.
walfy
Very interesting rock close-up from Sol 2803. There's a particularly sharp "spike," and some bright material as if a seagull had perched there. Powdered/eroded gypsum? Very nice in 3D! Looking forward to color renditions of this outcrop.

Click to view attachment
Stu
Some more luvverly rocks...

Click to view attachment
Stu
You're right, Walfy... this is one fascinating-looking rocky area...

Click to view attachment
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (walfy @ Dec 16 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Very interesting rock close-up from Sol 2803. There's a particularly sharp "spike," and some bright material as if a seagull had perched there. Powdered/eroded gypsum? Very nice in 3D! Looking forward to color renditions of this outcrop.

Click to view attachment

Wow, I didn't even notice that one...

The one we're IDD'ing (or now done IDD'ing) was that smoother bit to the left, a "clast". The science team wanted the "matrix" rock (Boesmanskop), some soil near it, and a nearby "clast" to tell a full story. I'm not sure what they expect. Compositionally I don't expect anything different than Transvaal, though I'm no scientist...

-m
Bill Harris
This should be a productive stop on the traverse. Site Oshoek on Sol-2804. Since this area is not one with a north-facing slope it will likely be examined after conjunction.

--Bill
MERovingian
Wow indeed! That sharp spike looks very much like the gnomon of a sundial. It looks like Oppy just discovered the first Martian-made clock! cool.gif
djellison
Many many pointy spiky rocks have been seen - possibly the most famous http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06267
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Matt)
I'm not sure what they expect. Compositionally I don't expect anything different than Transvaal...
Oh no, Matt, this site is a wonderful bowl of Rocky Road. And this rock will prove to have an interesting history.

--Bill
walfy
Interesting micro from Sol 2805:

Click to view attachment

Edit: Should note that the above micro is rotated 90° CW from original, as that worked best for 3D. It's probably from the "clast" that Matt spoke of, to the left of the spike, as this shot was taken on the same Sol:

1F377204006EDNBR08P1121L0M1.JPG

But I can't identify it!
walfy
Found it! (Location of above micro):

Click to view attachment

Also, a very crude composite of micro-images revealing the whole rock:

Click to view attachment
Stu
Best I can do...

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Here are the capture (top) and filter (bottom) magnets on Oppy, Sol 2804.
The capture magnet is stronger.
By analyzing the wavelengths from the different PanCam images, people much more skilled than your humble poster can figure out what is on the magnets.

Here is a link for a 2007 paper on the magnet experiment so far... http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/7thmars2007/pdf/3104.pdf

Click to view attachment
ugordan
A couple of L456 composites:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
This is an R721 Pancam of the site Boesmanskop and IDD target Oshoek on Sol-2804 showing wonderful compositional and textural differences. This rock is an impact breccia that was melted and appears to have been emplaced in the later matrix. If rocks could talk, the tales this one would tell...

--Bill
Stu
Those "sparkly bits" spotted inside Homestake after Oppy ran over it, that were referred to during recent reports, can - I think? - be seen in an image on the Pancam site...

http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_..._1_True_RAD.jpg
PDP8E
Here is Boesmanskop on Sol 2804, using L2,3,4,5,6,7

R = (((L2 + 2(L3) ) / 3) + ( 2(L4) / 3 )
G = L5
B = ((2(L6)) + (L7)) / 3

... processed for crispness

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
I'll see your L2,3,4,5,6,7 and raise you a saturated L257...

--Bill
PDP8E
OK Wild Bill,
I will see that saturated L257 ...
... and raise you a hyper-contrasted L2-3-4-5-6-7

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

rolleyes.gif
ugordan
This L456 set was badly clipped in brights and darks, I attempted to bring back some of the rock shadow areas using the blue frame which wasn't destroyed as much. Still looks pretty bland overall.

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
... and raise you a hyper-contrasted L2-3-4-5-6-7

I'll fold. Too rich for my blood.

Your second rendering, OTOH, is likely contrary to Family Friendly Forum rules and probably a couple of international agreements... blink.gif

On Sol-2806 Oppy looked droolingly to the south at Shoemaker Ridge showing tantalizing stratigraphy...

--Bill smile.gif
mhoward
A couple L257R21 anaglyphs
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 17 2011, 02:03 AM) *
Best I can do...

Click to view attachment

I knew that looked familiar.
Stu
Fantastic anaglyphs, especially that first one. I tried for *yonks* to get those L & Rs to align. You nailed it. smile.gif
mhoward
Thanks, Stu. Here's the full left and right if anybody wants:

walfy
Took mhoward's excellent L & R images to make this "super gif," using Start3D website:

Click to view attachment

Had to compress the gif a lot to keep within file-size limitation, lost some color. But original can be viewed here: http://www.start3d.com/en/2454477057/0003

Bill Harris
I've been doing a literature search on "impactites" and "impact breccias", since this is clearly what we are looking at on Cape York. There are extensive resources at the LPI:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/search/?cx=0028034...amp;q=impactite

And one of the top listings of that search is a .PDF of a book chapter that contains many photos and discussions that are apropos to what we see at Boesmanskop, Oshoek and indeed the entire Winterhaven area.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/books...54/chapter5.pdf

It's sorta like deja-vu all over again...

--Bill
Stu
Following a succesful trial run at Homestake, looks like the new driving guidelines have been implemented.

1) Identify interesting feature
2) Take photographs
3) Drive RIGHT over it.

Click to view attachment

laugh.gif
Bill Harris
"Todays downlinks will be interesting i guess. biggrin.gif "
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 19 2011, 06:29 AM) *
Following a succesful trial run at Homestake, looks like the new driving guidelines have been implemented.

1) Identify interesting feature
2) Take photographs
3) Drive RIGHT over it.

Click to view attachment

laugh.gif

Ha.

Actually I'm not sure we intended to bump so little and go almost nowhere. I didn't stick my fat head into the room on Friday or today, so I have no idea...

-m
Bill Harris
My take would be that she's repositioning to do an IDD on the matrix material on the other side of the large ejecta chunk.

More "hope" than take...

--Bill
Matt Lenda
We're planning to bump slowly along the ridge -- there are a slew of features all along there. Currently we're doing some engineering diagnostics while we've got the time. Holidays give us lots of time to do these things.

-m
Bill Harris
Good thinking. I think we'll see a _lot_ of variability in the rocks as Oppy moves along the ridgetop, differences laterally within the same time horizon. A refreshing change from the Meridiani uplands where the rocks were consistent to the point of "boringly so". Time was when I'd get excited over a weathering crust of an odd color.

I'm curious about the dark rocks on the other side of the ridge from where we are now, as seen in HiRISE imagery. May be nothing, but I'm hoping that Oppy'll tippy-toe to the edge for a peek...

--Bill
mhoward
Pancam foreground stereo pair from sol 2810. I'm posting these in a slightly different format since Emily's my3D blog article has reminded me that the "3D PictOMatic" app exists. I've kind of been hinting at this previously, but if you're into MER images and you've already got an iPhone or iPod Touch, especially one of the nice ones with the high-resolution screens from the last year or two, you should probably just get a my3D already.

PDP8E
On Sol 2811, pictures were taken of Oppy's high gain antenna assembly (for some reason ... ph34r.gif )
And also an image of a nearby rock off the port-side back-deck.
All the pictures were taken around local noon.
Click to view attachment .................. Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
QUOTE (PDP8E @ Dec 21 2011, 08:53 AM) *
On Sol 2811, pictures were taken of Oppy's high gain antenna assembly (for some reason ... ph34r.gif )

No reason to worry -- the reason is just two posts higher:
QUOTE (Matt Lenda @ Dec 20 2011, 09:57 AM) *
Currently we're doing some engineering diagnostics while we've got the time. Holidays give us lots of time to do these things.

If I can make a request to you Opportunity image processors, I would LOVE it if you would be willing to take the time, where it's possible, to make right-eye color matches to some of the left-eye color images that you assemble. The color won't be a perfect match because of the lack of a green channel, but your work will still likely be much better than mine.
ugordan
Oooh, hardware!

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
QUOTE (PDP8E)
On Sol 2811, pictures were taken of Oppy's high gain antenna assembly
This is the beginning of a "P2288 pancam_deck_pan_part1_L456" sequence which may be done for Engineering reasons (check the health of the rover, check dust accumulation or cleaning) or by Operation for a self-portrait in preparaton for a 360* Panorama. This point is, after all, pretty much the Acme of the traverse thus far.

I'm still wanting to have something named after Gracie Allen, a fitting companion name for the "Burns Formation"...

--Bill
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 21 2011, 12:17 PM) *
This is the beginning of a "P2288 pancam_deck_pan_part1_L456" sequence which may be done for Engineering reasons (check the health of the rover, check dust accumulation or cleaning) or by Operation for a self-portrait in preparaton for a 360* Panorama. This point is, after all, pretty much the Acme of the traverse thus far.

I'm still wanting to have something named after Gracie Allen, a fitting companion name for the "Burns Formation"...

--Bill

... and another 3 sequences' worth of the Pancam Deckpan coming in a few days.

-m
Bill Harris
Holy kilobits, this has to be a record image transfer for Oppy (at least in recent time)-- 114 L4, L5 or L6 images and this is only the first part of Part 1.

And lots of shiny bits on the ground around Oppy...

--Bill
djellison
Given that deck-pans are usually down sampled by 50%, that's not surprising. Pancam is slightly out of focus at that range, so downsampling to 512 x 512 before downlinking makes a lot of sense, you don't really drop any detail. . It also means you can fit 4x as many images into any given downlink session. Thus - 114 images of that size is actually only equiv to 30ish normal sized images.

Matt Lenda
Bang on the money, my friend.

Pancam PUL has been hard at work this week. We pulled a lot of really slick timing antics to fit it all in.

... unfortunately at the expense of a Pancam superres of Endeavour. We'll have to hold off on that one for a few sols.

-m
fredk
From the latest update:
During this turning maneuver the right-front wheel experienced elevated electrical currents, which tripped a fault response and stopped the drive. Telemetry suggested that the elevated current was due to the wheel's orientation with respect to the terrain (causing it to work harder than expected) and not an actuator failure. To verify this, diagnostics were performed on Sol 2810 (Dec. 20, 2011). The diagnostic tests confirmed the actuator's continued good health.
Bill Harris
Of interest also are the solar power/tau/dust factor figures in the updates. Holding steady...

--Bill
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 23 2011, 08:26 PM) *
From the latest update:

... aaaaaaaaaaaaand now I can talk about it! biggrin.gif

Imagine standing on a hill, right side facing downhill and left side facing uphill. Now try and turn in place on your right foot without letting it twist relative to your leg. You won't like it since more of your weight is on your right side.

Meh. NBD. There was this initial state of "wtf" when we saw the data. We had some quick chats and sequenced itsby bitsy drives with lots of hazcams. Turns out, everything is fine. It was sort of a "well, duh" kind of thing when we thought about the geometry more carefully.

In the meantime we could get that Pancam Deckpan in there.

-m
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.