Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York - Northern Havens
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Phil Stooke
It's premature to be taking this analysis too far. We don't know anything about the structural history of this area, and we could easily be looking at rotated slump blocks or draped post-endeavour ejecta deposits, or any number of other things. Careful mapping all along Cape York will be needed to understand its structure.

Phil

Stu
Beautiful, just beautiful...

Click to view attachment
fredk
Indeed! And the skies are quite a bit clearer than during the last Endeavour pan back at Chester Lake. Can't wait for the final result.

Stu, would you mind posting the frame that includes the Notch/Dagger at full resolution?
Stu
Full resolution here...

http://twitpic.com/88fsh7/full
Phil Stooke
Very nice!

Phil
James Sorenson
Here is my take sofar on the Greeley Pan. Just started processing and assembling images today.

Click to view attachment

Bill Harris
It's premature to be taking this analysis too far. We don't know anything about the structural history of this area...
Not really, Phil. You've got geologists talking shop and comparing notes about what they have observed on this leg of the traverse. Ideas grow from discussions.

--Bill
James Sorenson
Here is the current progress of the Greeley Pan with only the L2 filter. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Astro0
That's cool James smile.gif
Looking forward to seeing the rest like this biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
Astro0 yours is my favorite so far. It's almost as if I'm looking out the window of a sand-crawler vehicle.
nprev
Dan, albeit in a quite indirect way, you are!!! smile.gif

Marvelous is all that can be said.
James Sorenson
Here is what I got sofar smile.gif. I still have some color touchup to do, but I'll do that in the final version when the rest of the images come down.
Click to view attachment

Edit: I Lowered the saturation, and I increased the brightness. Let me know if this looks better.
ngunn
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Jan 18 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Here is what I got sofar

Your stitching of the images is superb but (at least on my monitor) the intensity of the tangerine colouration is a bit overpowering and difficult to believe. Is there a reason for this? I ask because another image expert I much respect also produces what look to me like 'overheated' views. Maybe I'm deluding myself and Mars actually does look like that, but my instinct tells me that the colours should be shifted some way - maybe not all the way - in Stu's direction.
James Sorenson
I agree. I was trying to process the images with what I think the color might look like, but I might have went a little to overboard. I'll tone the saturation down, and raise the brightness abit.

smile.gif
fredk
Greely views of the Big Eye are down, looking clearer than ever. Here's a long baseline L2 stereo view from sols 2718 and 2839. The baseline is so wide you can just detect some depth difference as you go from the upper to lower part of the far rim inner slope. It's possible to converge your eyes onto the bright dunes towards the bottom, but that's for experts only.
Click to view attachment
ngunn
Very nice! I imagine the frame to the left of that would be a rewarding target too on account of its multiple ramparts.
Stu
Just gorgeous...

Click to view attachment

Edit: tried for more accurate colours here: http://twitpic.com/898j2q/full
ngunn
James Sorenson: Yes I think that's better. However, if you edit an image that's already been commented on I think you should do it in a new post that follows the comments. (I've been guilty of failing to do this in the past, but I now appreciate that it muddies the discussion and can render other people's posts incomprehensible.)

Stu: On my home computer the colouration in the new version you link to looks great. A yellow ochre sky and an orange-grey surface (with no greens) fits my expectations. I don't know what my opinion's worth but you have it anyway. smile.gif

I'm seriously distressed by the huge differences between different screens. I was showing my students some of the recent versions of the Greely panorama today. They looked one colour on my monitor and a totally different colour on the projector screen. Now I'm home they look different again. No wonder different image mages produce such varied products if they are all seeing different things on their monitors.
James Sorenson
Thank you for the advise Ngunn. smile.gif

Regarding the color differences between monitors, I share your frustration. When it comes to trying to get the colors at leased somewhat close, they might look right on one person's screen (like mine), but when viewed by others on different monitors, it might appear drastically different. Getting the colors to look the same on all monitors is very difficult if not impossible. After I corrected that panorama, it looked kind of dull on my 23" LED monitor (the same one I used to process the images), and was unsure how it would look to others. However, later I had used my iPod touch to look at it after the correction and the colors were still pretty rich, but much better looking. That told me right there that my original version was just horribly saturated and dark, which I didn't realize. I apologize for this. Projectors are not the best viewing devices when trying to display colors accurately.
Stu
So much detail visible over on the other side now...

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
Just an update on the L2 pan. Added yesterday's, and well as today's downlinked images.

pancam.gif

Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 20 2012, 08:21 AM) *
So much detail visible over on the other side now...

Holy tau!
James Sorenson
This is a very crude attempt at best to sharpen details and stretch the contrast and brightness abit in a cropped portion of Endeavour's far side rim in the L2 panorama, while at the same time keeping the file size under the 1 mb limit (this also added alot of JPEG noise when saving). I have a flickr account so I can upload full resolution pictures, But I just have to re-upgrade to a flickr pro account.

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
I just cant stop looking at the desktop walpaper that I just made with the L2 data. What a beautiful place!!

Click to view attachment
eoincampbell
Amazing work by everyone producing this beautiful view, thanks...
James Sorenson
Does anyone know if the rover deck pan that was taken on Sol's 2811-2814 was sequenced for the Greeley Panorama?
James Sorenson
This is a preview of the rover deck panorama that have been putting together. The cutout portion in the top left, is because I had overlayed the color images that I had already processed over a completely assembled 360 view using the L4 filter, so I can use as a guide as well as context. I just cut that portion out for right now smile.gif.

Click to view attachment
Stu
Definitely worth the long drive...

http://twitpic.com/8ac7d4/full

( from http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2012/...ts-magnificence )
empebe
One huge advantage of being restricted to one place is that it results in a cornucopia of outstanding imaages.
I've been lurking here with my chin wearing a groove in the carpet - every time I come here there is a swathe of new, brilliant works of art.
THANK YOU ALL for this magical mystery tour.
Mike smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
antoniseb
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Jan 22 2012, 02:19 AM) *
... the rover deck panorama...

Great image... makes me wish for a little breeze to dust off the panels.
brellis
Does anyone recall a thread where the history and overall structure of Endeavour was discussed? For example, from which direction did the original impactor hit? Is the slope of the east side steeper than where Oppy is currently wintering?

EDIT: I'm finding lots of good background discussion in a thread called, of all things -- Endeavour Crater smile.gif

So far, the answers I'm finding are that over a really long period of time, material has proceeded generally west-to-east over the western rim of Endeavour, possibly with acidic water involved. So, the Western rim is more tapered while the Eastern rim is steeper. Could the steepness also indicate a west-to-east angle of impact?
Tesheiner
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Jan 22 2012, 05:21 AM) *
Does anyone know if the rover deck pan that was taken on Sol's 2811-2814 was sequenced for the Greeley Panorama?

AFAIK, the deck pan was taken from a slightly different position. Just 20cm offset, but enough to create mismatches between the deck pan and the Greeley Panorama.
fredk
Beautiful late afternoon sequence coming in:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...1M1.JPG?sol2840
Just when you mosaicers thought your work was almost done!
Phil Stooke
It just gets better every sol!

Phil

Tesheiner
Beautiful! I couldn't resist.
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
And the finished rover deck smile.gif.

Click to view attachment
djellison
And JS's pan polar-projected.
jamescanvin
Fantastic work on the Deck Pan James.

I know how hard they are to get right and yours is pretty well perfect! smile.gif

James
charborob
Looking at how Oppy's solar panels are dirty, I was wondering about the properties of the dust. If it accumulates and sits for a long time (say months) without being blown away, will it have a tendency to adhere to the panels, forming a kind of crust? Will it become more difficult to blow away whenever a wind gust passes by?
hendric
Man, Opportunity is looking more and more like Spirit every sol. I hope that's not a bad thing...
ddeerrff
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 23 2012, 05:53 PM) *
And JS's pan polar-projected.

What is that impression in front of Oppy just to the right? Almost looks like a boot print. blink.gif
djellison
It is... well - for a rover anyway. That's a rover wheel track.
marsophile
QUOTE (charborob @ Jan 24 2012, 05:55 AM) *
... blow away whenever a wind gust passes by?

It is possible that partial dust cleanings may be associated with other things besides wind gusts, such as particular rover manoeuvres that result in changes in illumination.

If one could examine detailed records of the dust factor after every Sol, it might be possible to correlate minor cleanings with rover activities. Maybe this is grasping at straws, but it is saddening to see the dust load being carried by Opportunity currently.
Astro0
Let's not put on our "worry" faces folks. sad.gif
Opportunity is OK. She's in a favorable inclination for this winter period and no one is talking about any serious concerns.
Remember that little dust storm in 2007! Opportunity dropped to "128watt hours" back then and here we are, still alive 5 years later wink.gif
The mission and Rover handlers do a great job keeping everyone informed.

Let's just enjoy the science and the views smile.gif
James Sorenson
Another color section of the ongoing Greeley panorama. Any subtle color correction between the images will be done in the final version. Let me know what you think.

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Great James.

Jan van Driel
walfy
A big thanks to all the stitchers! Really great images coming together now.
jvandriel
Partial Pancam L1 stitch on Sol 2840.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
So do we now have the complete Greely pan horizon? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? tongue.gif laugh.gif
Ant103
Hi everyone,

And best whishes for this 2012 year smile.gif.

I've became rare these last weeks because of my work. But I've managed to have some time to do this version of the Greeley Pan.

So, here it is (links for various resolution by clicking the picture) :

Feww, that was huge ! I think it miss some frame, the result is not perfect, but that was a pretty hard work (you'd had to see me, yieling at Gimp when I just tried to open this pan).

And there is one more thing

http://www.db-prods.net/blog/wp-content/up...an_postcard.jpg

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.