Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From Cambridge Bay to the "parking lot"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Floyd
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 27 2010, 05:19 PM) *
Ireland... "Everyone Knows Where That Is" laugh.gif

Guess you are not familiar with the map skills of my fellow Americans--Next to Hawaii in the Pacific? tongue.gif
climber
Yet the 8 Hawaiian Islands names will not be enough to get to Endeavour

and I agree with Stu, this was the most beautifull one we've seen so far.
nprev
Hate to say it, but it looks like discovering meteorites on Mars is about to take its place right alongside discovering water on Mars as a recurrring revelation...check this headline from someplace that really should know better.
Astro0
Nothing really wrong with the headline used. Discovery just picked up the story and title from the NASA/JPL media release from the day before.
fredk
A few pics are down from the new drive:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2374
No sign of the drive-by pics of the second meteorite yet.
Tesheiner
Around 90100m in total.
The drive-by pictures might be on the queue to be downlinked probably even after the "drive-direction" pancams.
Poolio
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 28 2010, 10:32 AM) *
Around 90m in total.

That's as the crow flies, I presume? As the rover drives I reckon it to be about 103m.

Not that I have any great means for getting accurate measurements! That estimate is derived from counting pixels and simple algebra. (Frustratingly I have been unable to even install Google Earth on the this new Windows 7 box.)
Tesheiner
I wrote a wrong value. The correct figure is 98m, without accounting for turns in place or slippage.
fredk
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 7 2010, 09:51 PM) *
Playing around with Goggle Earth I found what looks like another contact layer similar to Cambridge Bay right in the planned path. My 2cents that we will stop for a few sols right there next week.

After a delay due to the meteorite, it looks to me like we're at the feature Tesheiner spotted:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2375
Final word will go to our resident navigator, of course...
Tesheiner
Fredk was faster than me. smile.gif
When I saw the picture I said: "contact layers ahead". But still have to double-check the odometry. Stay tuned...

Edit: Confirmed.
Floyd
May be right in front of us, but I don't see it in the navcam and pancam pictures just down huh.gif
fredk
The new pancam series runs along the feature. It's easiest to see it in these images - in both frames it's the most prominent area of exposed bedrock running diagonally roughly across the centre of the frame:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2M1.JPG?sol2375
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2M1.JPG?sol2375
Stu
Ireland... the one that got away...

Click to view attachment

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...e-that-got-away
Pavel
Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Shaka
Sure, a little bit of heaven fell from out the skies one day,
And it nestled in the ocean in a spot not far away...

ok... one, two, three...erase
climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 30 2010, 10:11 PM) *
Ireland... the one that got away...

The higher definition picture of Ireland you show (on your blog), reminds me of Asteroids Fly by: they are by products of the principal mission; as a meteroit fan, you'll still be happy to get pictures which qualities depends on fly by distance (and lukily this distance can be adapted without to much energy consumption here wheel.gif )
Stu
Yep, happy to get any pictures, any time, but obviously not at the expense of reaching Endeavour. smile.gif
climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 1 2010, 09:30 AM) *
Yep, happy to get any pictures, any time, but obviously not at the expense of reaching Endeavour. smile.gif

You've got to stuck to it, I'd say rolleyes.gif . From last TPS Monthly report: “We’re not going to stop and take any other meteorite measurements for another 3000 meters,” said Arvidson. Furthermore, the plan calls for the rover to stop only two or three more times to sample bedrock and once or twice for soil samples for the ongoing Victoria-to-Endeavour surface study.
Tesheiner
Lots of good info on the last MER Monthly Report, including details on the problems with the Mossbauer Spectrometer and its expected use on hydrated rocks / clay:

Why is the overnight cold bothering it now, when spring is warming Mars in the southern hemisphere? “We’re still talking Mars,” noted Nelson. “In middle of Martian day, it’s warm enough that this thing is still working properly, but late in the afternoon or evenings, we don’t get it to work right.”

That may seem really unfortunate for many who have been following this mission since lot of the Mössbauer integrations occurred overnight. “But we’re not going to do extensive Mössbauer investigations for a while, and by the time we get to these hydrated rocks and the rim of Endeavour, we’ll be beyond the real cold temperatures at night,” Arvidson pointed out. “The power source of the instrument is so depleted. Cobalt-57 has a half-life is 271.8 days, so we’re down many half-lives and we have to spend days and days making measurements now. We won’t do take that time anymore unless there’s something extraordinary. The next big campaigns will be when we see the hydrated rocks detected by CRISM, possibly as close at Santa Maria, and then when we get to the clay minerals at the rim.”

And some info re Santa Maria.
And, yes, they are planning for the rover to stop at Santa Maria, just a short jag off the route. On this fairly “fresh” crater, it appears that the impact has “punctured through the bedrock,” as Arvidson put it. Now about 2.7 kilometers away, Santa Maria is luring the team for another reason.

“As we get close to Endeavour, there’s a change in the characteristics observed by CRISM [onboard MRO] and we start to see hydrated rock that’s exposed, which we don’t see where we are today,” explained Arvidson. “Santa Maria might be close enough so that when it formed, it did so in those hydrated rocks. That’s one of the reasons we’re stopping.” Added Squyres: “We’ll see when we get there.”

climber
If they really can drive as they say (100+ m/driving sol) we could be @Santa Maria in another 2+ months or, if less agressive, before the Superior Conjunction due to start nearly for Oppy 7th landing anniversary.
ElkGroveDan
I think we are going to see some serious efforts to keep moving. It may have seemed like a bit of fun, but I believe Squyres was serious when he said he wanted MER to identify the phyllosilicates before the arrival of MSL. Anything short of an encounter by Opportunity with a saguaro will likely get a brief glance akin to the stop at Oileán Ruaidh, and then she'll be on her way again.
fredk
Interesting comments about driving in the new PS update as well:
In recent sols, the team further lifted Opportunity’s drive limits to 140 meters per sol. “That is a pretty long drive,” admitted Nelson. “We don’t always have the time to do such long drives, but we think the rover can do longer backward autonavs, because the rover is now moving into terrain where there’s a lot less sand and a lot more outcrop. That gives the rover -- and us -- plenty of features to use in our calculations and we anticipate seeing even longer drives because we have the energy and because it hasn’t been hurting the wheel current. We just haven’t seen the run-ups in current that were indicative of problems or at least of concern to us, like we did when we were driving forward.”

Given that we're still in winter, I wonder if there's any correlation between low wheel currents and low ambient temperatures. I suspect we've discussed this before but I can't remember.

Anyway, wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif !
fredk
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 1 2010, 03:47 PM) *
It may have seemed like a bit of fun, but I believe Squyres was serious when he said he wanted MER to identify the phyllosilicates before the arrival of MSL.

I'm sure he was serious. Scooping MSL with papers on ground measurements would be quite a scoop indeed.
climber
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 1 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Anything short of an encounter by Opportunity with a saguaro

This would be quite a... curiosity wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Stu
As we're all getting excited about Santa Maria, might be time for a quick reminder of how big it is...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...re-are-we-going
Sunspot
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 1 2010, 06:23 PM) *
As we're all getting excited about Santa Maria, might be time for a quick reminder of how big it is...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...re-are-we-going

There seem to be be some fairly large rocks around the rim that look easily accessible.
climber
Yep! Definitively a good place to spend Superior Conjunction pancam.gif
Phil Stooke
This is a vertical stretch of the horizon from today's pancams. So much detail showing up these days in the distance!

Phil

Click to view attachment

PS - small new summit appears just to the right of the broad dome...
MarkG
The "Slot" -- what is it?

Opportunity is now rounding the corner of a large area of low-albedo surface that roughly resembles an elongated rectangle stretching 3-5 km to the NNW, towards Victoria. I've been curious as to how this feature arose and persisted, and to see if there is anything on the ground that the rover passes over that would give a hint.

Has anyone heard any discussion of this?
fredk
I've noticed that feature too. My interpretation/guess has been that the lighter, exposed bedrock areas are a bit higher than the dark, dust/ripple covered areas. That's why I'm looking forward to driving another half kilometre or so, till we're towards the east end of the exposed bedrock and then hopefully the view to the east will open up.
marswiggle
Are we actually seeing Santa Maria already?

Here's a 4x vertically stretched anaglyph of the latest view towards east (cropped but the width is about that of the original pancam image). See the dark smudgy feature comprising the leftmost quarter of the frame, just above where the nearest horizon appears to cut across the farther view. Its angular width, about 3 deg, would correspond nicely to a feature of slightly larger than 100 m in diameter, 2.5 km away.

(EDIT later: Ah, seems that my directions are several degrees off to the north, should have known better. It was a tempting candidate.)
fredk
That dark streak does look like it could be part of a rim. But by my reckoning that feature is too far to the left.
Tman
Yes! But sadly, get it too more to the right of this feature.

From this map I get for St.Maria: 2.78km/2° (97m diameter) and a heading of 95 to 97 degrees.
What means for (Sol2377) http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P2417R2M1.JPG :

Click to view attachment
alan
Sol 2375 drive direction images
Click to view attachment
fredk
Parting shot of Ireland is down:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2374
fredk
The R1 pancams show the near horizon much more clearly than R2, and in the new R1 image there's a bump on the near horizon right where Tman put Santa Maria:
Click to view attachment
Could be a bit of the rim starting to show, or not.
Bill
Unusual drive direction for the drive after today's drive : az 36.
I presume that they are going mostly south or south east this sol and then north east the next drive to avoid some old craters.
fredk
That is a bit of a surprize. (But 36 degrees is NNE, not SSE.) Directly east looks doable - it was just a few months ago that we were regularly crossing dunes bigger than these.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Bill @ Oct 3 2010, 01:06 AM) *
to avoid some old craters.

Precisely. Each one those old craters could be a potential "Scamander." This time however we can see them. Rover Drivers are for the most part, very wise.
ngunn
I blame Tesheiner for posting a random walk on the route map.
alan
Interesting feature about 400 meters to the ENE
Click to view attachment
</backseat roverdriver>
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (alan @ Oct 3 2010, 05:35 PM) *
Interesting feature

Tell me that's just sinuous dunes and and NOT a depression, in which case it'll be a long time before we go anywhere.
Floyd
Just a meandering river laugh.gif Sure would be nice if there were a color image of this area--the hill or pond area (oval area left of center 1/4 way up from bottom) looks darker and a different texture from the surrounding outcrop.
Bobby
Hi fredk. In your picture you have. Could that be the far or near rim of Santa Maria? Just kidding. I hope we start seeing The crater soon. What an amazing drive this rover is doing and is there any current pictures up from the last drive?
alan
QUOTE (Floyd @ Oct 4 2010, 06:27 AM) *
Sure would be nice if there were a color image of this area

Found one
Click to view attachment

ETA: 011765_1780_RGB
not map projected ( is upside-down )
fredk
A bit of news from Maxwell on the RHAZ test:
Need more analysis, but weekend's attempt at RHAZ-based autonav succeeded. Got 15m, then bailed out 'cuz we boxed it in. Promising, though.

He also says they may not use this method till they get onto the flat terrain.
Phil Stooke
Right... just after that he tweets that it stopped, but restarted and eventually drove over 90 m that sol.

Phil
jamescanvin
Sol 2379 drive direction mosaic:

James
SFJCody
02382 p2542.26 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_Choc_Bay_L257R2

Name of the depression?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.