Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From Cambridge Bay to the "parking lot"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
eoincampbell
Next time I have a swim I'll try 100m butterfly without autonav... smile.gif
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 13 2010, 09:05 AM) *
... vast stretches of bedrock... http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2358
I don't recall another view like this with bedrock stretching almost to the horizon. Quite a change from the sea of dunes.

Wow! What a change. The closest thing to such a view that I can recall would be Olympia. This is amazing. smile.gif I hope the rover can capture a continuous map of the bedrock across this stretch.
SFJCody
Looking at Google Earth I see that driving my UK based robot a meaningful 100m would mean driving out the house, down to the entrance of the close, turning right and driving down to the end of the adjacent close. I'm not entirely certain my wi-fi coverage extends that far... blink.gif
Stu
A 3D view that really shows the difference in Oppy's driving terrain now...

http://twitpic.com/2o9q4e/full
Vultur
140m/sol? I certainly hope that one works out...
brellis
Recalling pics of a setting sun from one or the other MER, has either rover driven at night, or performed any significant tasks in darkness? thanks
djellison
Imaging, yes. Driving, no. I know the arm was loaded with heaters to allow an overnight tool change, but I don't recall it ever actually being done.
Phil Stooke
Yes, there have been astronomical observations including searches for meteors (no positive results). And did some APXS or MS work happen overnight? Sojourner used to do overnight APXS to reduce noise, until its battery failed.

Phil
Bill Harris
Very subtle tonalities on the weathering rind on recent Pancams... smile.gif
fredk
Series of 10 rhaz frames from the 2358 hazard avoidance test:
Click to view attachment
Looping it like this it almost looks seamless, as if Oppy's driving over a periodic series of ripples...
djellison
You're right about the seamless - you could loop for ever and not notice! Awesome
Stu
Liking this bedrock...

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Sol 2358 drive direction mosaic - Oppy should be setting off across all the lovely bedrock in this scene tosol (2361) smile.gif

James
hendric
Fredk - An endless sea of stone?
alan
Big rock ahead, the next target?
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...PWP2406L2M1.JPG
Stu
Big rock indeed!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Oppy! Fetch! laugh.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (alan @ Sep 15 2010, 01:29 PM) *
Big rock ahead, the next target?

QUOTE (tharrison @ Aug 13 2010, 09:12 PM) *
(and again I say, not stopping to look at meteorites tongue.gif)

smile.gif
climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 15 2010, 11:42 PM) *
Big rock indeed!!!

NO way! There's a bigger one some 9 kms ahead.
We came in peace for all Martian (ok, bad pun) and not meteorites.
Well, yes, it's big laugh.gif
Stu
Ooh, look...

Click to view attachment

smile.gif

Why am I such a meteorite-hugger?

Well.

There's a big lump of... something... up ahead. It's on the way to our destination, just sitting there, like celestial roadkill, right in our path. The question is, what IS it? If it's "just a rock", well, that's interesting, and exciting, because that rock isn't from these parts; it fell here after falling out of the sky, having come from somewhere else entirely. Maybe it's a piece of Endeavour? Hmmm, maybe it's a piece of the far crater rim, blasted out when that crater was blasted out of the farside slope?

But if it's a meteorite, where is it from? Is it a run-of-the-mill stone or iron from the asteroid belt, or something more exotic? A piece of Venus? A piece of Earth? Maybe. Probably not. But then the question is, how long has it sat out on the plain? How has it been shaped and carved by the martian weather? What can it tell us? What fascinating stories is it waiting to whisper into our ears?

Come on, everyone... Answering these questions, even just a couple of them, is worth a slight detour and a look-see for a couple of sols.

Oppy's a rover, yes, but her middle, less-frequently-used name is "Exploration". Scooting across Meridiani is great. But we can afford to explore a bit inbetween scoots. smile.gif
Floyd
Looks like two very different rocks kissing blink.gif laugh.gif
BrianL
Stu, you are, of course, correct. You can't ignore possible science when it is blatantly tossed in a manner that you would be hard pressed not to stumble over it. Still, in my mind, I have already changed Oppy's middle name to Excelsior. At Cape York, I will long for the far rim. Or Iazu. Or ponder, just how far is Olympus Mons anyway? It is the curse of believing simultaneously that Oppy could die at any moment but may live forever.
fredk
QUOTE (BrianL @ Sep 16 2010, 05:29 AM) *
the curse of believing simultaneously that Oppy could die at any moment but may live forever.

Very nicely put!
walfy
QUOTE (BrianL @ Sep 15 2010, 08:29 PM) *
...At Cape York, I will long for the far rim. Or Iazu. Or ponder, just how far is Olympus Mons anyway?...

There will probably so many interesting features to study on and around Cape York that Oppy could be content for years there... until the end of her days. Her final pasture.
Oersted
That is what I thought about Victoria Crater...
Hungry4info
QUOTE (Oersted @ Sep 16 2010, 11:31 AM) *
That is what I thought about Victoria Crater...

Yep. I remember a lot of discussion about how valuable Victoria was, and how Opportunity would likely spend her last days there.
fredk
Yeah, I remember that talk about Victoria too - I had this image of Oppy's final resting place being on top of the Beacon. In the end, we did roughly half a circumnavigation of Victoria, some parts only very quickly, in about two years, so you might think we could've spent at least another couple of years there (so we might still be there). But in the end the science wasn't there to keep us at Victoria, and Oppy was still in good driving shape, so off we went...

It's interesting though that, if I recall correctly, clays weren't identified at Endeavour until some time after we started the drive to Endeavour.
Stu
Wonder if we'll see the whatever-it-is more closely in the next few sols...

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's a bit of a stretch of the scene ahead. Getting some detail out on the distant plains - is the diagonal streak a DD track?

Phil

Click to view attachment
Stu
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 16 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Here's a bit of a stretch of the scene ahead. Getting some detail out on the distant plains - is the diagonal streak a DD track?

Hmmm, could be... good eye, Phil! smile.gif
djellison
It's charred terrain from the eyes burning a gaze into the distance.

Or a DD. Infact, we saw one not that long ago - in this very direction!

There are a few DD trails around looking at CTX and HiRISE.
john_s
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 16 2010, 06:13 PM) *
Yeah, I remember that talk about Victoria too - I had this image of Oppy's final resting place being on top of the Beacon.

Heck, I remember that talk about Endurance- there was some discussion in 2004 that it would be worth entering Endurance even if we couldn't get out again, because it was a worthy final destination. Hard to believe now...

John
alan
From marsroverdriver's twitter:
MRO went into safe mode, and they were carrying our downlink, so no driving today. They're OK and coming out of safe mode probably today.
Tesheiner
"no driving today"

I think it means no drive planning today i.e. no driving during the weekend. But the one planned for sol 2363 might have been executed and the pics are just waiting in the queue.
Stu
Clearer view now of Whateveritis...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... and there are more of them...

http://twitpic.com/2pk027/full
Art Martin
It's Alf!
Tesheiner
And here's a navcam mosaic to put those anaglyphs into context.
There's a small crater right ahead, followed by Whateveritis and Whateveritis-II to the left in the distance. Those rocks are quite big so it may be possible to locate them on the HiRISE views. I'll give a try.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
I think I got it. Check also the KML version here.
Click to view attachment

Regarding the feature's name, there was a pancam mosaic shot today named "Solander Point". It may be the rock or it may be the crater.
NW71
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 18 2010, 09:40 AM) *
There's a small crater right ahead, followed by Whateveritis and Whateveritis-II to the left in the distance.

I love the scientific way that learned UMSF forum users (and are there any other kind?) come up with names for objects. I would imagine NASA are sorely tempted to go with this latest offering...

Neil laugh.gif
Phil Stooke
And behind the new rock is the next little crater down the inner slope of Endeavour.

Phil
Phil Stooke
The latest navcam from just above, reprojected...
Phil

Click to view attachment
Stu
New pic of Whateveritis... hmmm... bears more than a passing resemblance to our old friend "Block Island" dontcha think..?

Click to view attachment
Astro0
OMG!!! ohmy.gif It's following us laugh.gif
climber
You mean we are dragging it...that's why we move so slowly. Cut the briddle Oppy and you'll rove 140m's per sol.
BTW, how can we drag anything roving backward? blink.gif
climber
The crater near where we are sitting is visible here: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...ZHP1312R0M1.JPG
I estimate it's a "rover weel" deep (?). Is there any interest studing the "crater wall" we can see on this picture?
MoreInput
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 19 2010, 04:49 PM) *
You mean we are dragging it...that's why we move so slowly. Cut the briddle Oppy and you'll rove 140m's per sol.

No the rocks are moving by themself, like the Sailing stones in the death valley. And now block island has overtaken us (maybe in the night?)

Tesheiner
With a similar purpose as on this funny video from HP I think the rocks are being put on the way by the little green men during the night just to delay our trek to Endeavour. laugh.gif
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 19 2010, 05:02 PM) *
Is there any interest studing the "crater wall" we can see on this picture?

My guess is that only a few additional pancam shots will be taken. And then drive direct to the rock/meteorite/whateveritis.
alan
Whateveritis in color
Click to view attachment
Oersted
Whateveritis looks great but Whatabout that mountain range in the background: spectacular!
Stu
Ah, a great, big, lovely, aeons-old, dust-etched, uv-baked chunk of charred star-metal... Oppy, fetch!!! :-)
brellis
Pronounced differently, the term "Whateveritis" seems more like a syndrome of a lazy person. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.